Chapter 9

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been over a month since the group became friends. They bonded with each other really quickly people would actually think they knew each other for years. Although, Hyewon rarely joins the group since her team was going to participate in a live competition in a few weeks. Sakura had also been busy splitting her time between her student council duties, her club training since she will be participating in the competition like Hyewon and spending time with Chaeyeon. The two had been closer ever since the arcade trip and the two would watch each other’s club activities if the other wasn’t busy.

   Yena and Yuri were also getting closer each day with Yena almost every weekend visiting Yuri’s home to study although they play around half of the time. As a shy person from the start, Yuri was still awkward with Yena but after spending so much time together, the once girl finally managed to open up to Yena, something she only does with her closest friends. With that, Yena realized how funny, clumsy and clueless the girl was hidden under her serious behaviour at school. The hamster like girl was also somehow prone to hurting herself like tripping and accidentally hitting herself with the objects around her.

   Wonyoung and Yujin maintained their close ties as they had always met up often to hang out before the group was even formed. However, Yujin was still unaware of the latter’s feelings towards her as she still dwell on the problem she has, moving on from Minjoo which was deemed as a hard task for her.

   Among the whole group, the pair that seemed to be significantly growing closer was Chaewon and Minjoo. Anyone would be able to notice how Chaewon would sometimes latch herself onto Minjoo’s arm or just intertwine their hands without any reason. Something she never did before. Even their group of friends specifically Chaewon’s were getting envious at how Minjoo was treated while the red head treats them as if she hates them instead. Chaewon’s fangirls  were certainly going crazy whenever the saw their star athlete being sweet with another student. Minjoo, was somehow already used to the amount of skinship the girl does but it never stopped making her heart beat intensely every time.

   Nako, on the other hand, was still stuck in the single zone.

   It was another weekend and there was Yena walking along the sidewalk leading to Yuri’s house. The steps were familiar as she let her feet do their thing while she thought of something more important.

   ‘When am I going to confess to Yuri?’

  The girl sighed as she thought hard on ways to confess to the hamster.

   How long has she liked Yuri? It’s been over a year now. Yena fell for the girl around this same time last year. She never noticed the girl before during freshman years and sophomore years. She only knew how the girl was associated to star athlete, Chaewon at the time. But, she instantly fell in love with the girl last year.

   A year ago, Yena ran back home in a rush under the heavy rain. Her left hand was holding tightly onto a cardboard box she found near the school compounds while her other hand held the umbrella, shielding her from the cold drops. The girl quickly rushed towards a certain area in her neighbourhood in a panic.

   However, when she reached there, she saw another girl crouching down on the pavement without any protection from the rain. Yena was about to run over to the girl who she noticed was wearing the same school uniform as her but she stopped when she saw the girl’s actions. Hiding at the side of the wall, Yena watched the girl and realized it was actually Yuri. Her classmate.

     Yuri was fixing a cardboard box with an umbrella covering it to shield the piece of cardboard from getting wet while she herself was drenched in the rain. Even under the heavy rain, Yena could see the girl make out a smile as a small kitten came out of the box, purring at Yuri’s wet hand.

   Yena ran from school with the cardboard box when she remembered about the kittens she found abandoned there yesterday on the way home. She wanted to take care of them but there was no way her parents were going to let her do so. The thought of the kittens shivering in the coldness passed through the duck’s mind so she came here as quick as possible but it seemed as if a certain hamster beat her to it.

   For about 10 minutes, Yena saw how Yuri sat there, in front of the box, letting herself exposed to the rain as she monitored the kittens. Seeing how the girl was mindlessly getting drenched, Yena’s heart clenched as she gripped the left side of her shirt. She wanted to protect the little girl but her feet wouldn’t let her move. She was too much of a coward.

   Before she knew it, the rain had settled down into drops instead. Yuri, got up and bid the kittens goodbye before leaving the area, hugging herself as she shivered. As Yena watched, she felt her heart was torn into pieces when she saw the girl’s state.

   The next day, Yena came early to class to see the hamster. But the girl never showed up. In fact, she never showed up in three days. Yena knew the girl must have caught a fever and she felt bad she couldn’t do anything at the time. She regretted it as she thought of the girl the whole time. She skipped her club activities at that time and lost her appetite, making Yujin and Minju concerned for her but Yena shrugged it off, saying she was a bit tired.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter