Chapter 18

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    "What movie do you want to watch?" Yujin asked, her eyes scanning the rows of dvds stashed neatly in the cupboard.

    Minjoo looked up from her hands, her voice tired after crying too much earlier, "A disney movie would be nice,"

    Yujin merely hummed, taking one of their favourite movies before going over to have a seat beside Minjoo. They were at Yujin's house after their karaoke session. Yujin insisted for Minjoo to come over since, she couldn't help but worry about Minjoo's state. She wanted to be there for Minjoo, although she knew it'll just pain her in the end. 

    But anything for her best friend a.k.a her crush.

    Yujin threw a glance at the girl beside her. The older girl had a frown on her face and looked deep in thought. Yujin inserted the movie into the dvd player and watched the screen lit up. It was a good thing her parents weren't home at the moment.

    High School Musical 3. A total classic disney movie and one of Minjoo's favourites too. And yet, even her favourite movie couldn't light a smile on the beautiful girl's face. Instead, the girl looked like she was holding back from breaking down again.

    Maybe watching a romance high school movie was a bad idea.

    Yujin cursed silently in her head for her insensitive choice of a movie. She wanted to move to change it but Minjoo grasped her hand before she could. The latter shook her head silently.

    "Don't," she quietly muttered, "Let's just watch it,"

    Yujin exchanged glances from Minjoo's face and the hand holding onto hers. She sighed heavily.

    "If you want to cry again, just cry," Yujin mumbled softly as she reached her hand out to caress Minjoo's hair.

    Minjoo stared at Yujin, her eyes filled with pure emotions. Yujin hated how much Minjoo meant to her, to the point, she was willing to do anything for her.

    A soft smile appeared at the corner of the older one's lips, "I already cried enough earlier,"

    Frustrated, Yujin spat out, "I don't understand why do you keep on going after her when it's obvious she doesn't feel the same way, unnie," 

    Why can't you look around and see that someone else likes you and can treat you better, Minjoo? Yujin screamed internally.

    Minjoo chuckled bitterly. Honestly, she has no answer to that question. She can't stop herself. Her heart kept telling her to run over to Chaewon even if she gets stabbed in the heart a hundred times at the end of the day.

    "You'll understand when you like someone, Yujin," Minjoo patted Yujin's head, without realizing what her words meant to the younger girl.

     Idiot.

    I already like someone. 

    You.

    Yujin sighed, feeling miserable at the way things are going for her. It felt even worst when Minjoo said it. But, she understood what Minjoo was trying to say.

     It's hard to stop when you've fallen in love.

    She's experiencing it right now actually.

    The difference between them was, Yujin already lost hope and didn't want to get hurt anymore so she promised to get over her feelings for the sake of herself. Sometimes, she wondered how Minjoo never got tired of the pain of loving someone so one-sidedly.

    She did. She can't handle it anymore. It's tiring.

    'Maybe we just weren't meant to be for each other. Maybe someone else...,'  Yujin let her thoughts wonder while staring at the other girl. Minjoo tilted her head to the side, noticing Yujin turning quiet all of a sudden.

    "Yujin?" Minjoo called out, bursting the younger one's bubble of thoughts. 

    Sensing the gloominess around them, Yujin tried to lift the moody atmosphere, grinning, "Why don't you try a different approach instead, unnie?"

     Curious, Minjoo raised an eyebrow at the suggestion, "What does that mean?"

    "Be aggressive? I don't know," she shrugged, "Seriously, you're barely doing anything," 

    "Coward," Yujin muttered under her breath. She finds it funny how she's calling the older a coward when she's basically no different.

     "Excuse me?"

    "Instead of being bare minimum, try a more aggressive approach,"

    Minjoo defended, "I do hold hands with her, you know,"

    Yujin scoffed, finding that funny, "You're talking as if friends don't hold hands. We're holding hands now," She raised their intertwined hands, proving her point.

    The older girl pouted. Yujin giggled at the sight, "I'm saying, you should stop being a total coward," 

    "You keep gay panicking every time Chaewon unnie does anything,"

    "She could literally just stand there, breathing, and you would turn into a panicking frog," Yujin rolled her eyes.

    Minjoo narrowed her eyes at her but couldn't hide the redness at the tip of her ears. She felt a bit embarrassed when Yujin exposed her. She took a few minutes to ponder about the matter and can't deny how right her best friend was.

    Yujin was right. Getting too shy would lead her nowhere. Maybe she should try something soon.

    There, Yujin was left in awe once again. Minjoo's smiled brightly, her Indian dimples making an appearance and her eyes turning into crescents.

   "I'll definitely try that!" Minjoo leaned forward and embraced Yujin in a tight bear hug, "Thanks Yujin! You're really the best friend ever,"

    Ouch, that hurt.

    But at least, she's happy.

======================================================================

The date of the trip soon enclosed the gang as they started packing for the one week trip to Jeju Island. Their parents were informed beforehand about their leave for next week. The trip was solely created for the purposes of relaxation for the participating students mainly the seniors who would be having their final exam and graduating in a couple of months.

    The juniors last year, the current seniors now were specifically excited since it was their first trip after their supposed one was cancelled last year due to insufficient funds. The trip had been the talk of the whole school especially since Nako, the school’s official reporter had been promoting it the whole time to the students. She and her team had been placing posters all over the school wall’s and been going around the block to explain the activities held, to excite the juniors and seniors that would be attending.

   The cost of the trip were fully funded by the school using the extra school fees they had accumulated the whole year, paid by the students themselves. Dining, accommodation and every activity were free for them. They only needed to use their own money when they wanted to shop personally which was their own choice.

   The student council members had received the green light from the chairman about their plans and had already dealt with the other involved parties before the actual trip. Chaewon had also checked every single detail, thoroughly making sure no flaws would show up to ruin her first and last school trip with her school friends.

    The internal feud between the ten people were getting worse. Wonyoung was hogging Chaewon most of the time while the red head only complied and did anything she wanted. It was quite a fight from the other’s perspective. Sometimes Chaewon would pay attention to Wonyoung and sometimes it would be Minjoo. The girls honestly felt bad since it seemed as if Minjoo was at the losing end since the other two’s feelings were starting to be mutual.

    It wasn’t as if Wonyoung and Yujin had distanced themselves from each other. But it seemed like Wonyoung liked spending time with Chaewon more since the older girl always had given her enough attention. The two younger girls were still close though which is why Wonyoung was confused with herself.

    “Where’s Chaewon?” Minjoo asked Wonyoung as soon as she spotted the girl who had always been with her crush the past few days eating without Chaewon.

    Wonyoung raised her head from her lunch, giving an innocent smile towards Minjoo, “She’s eating with Hii-chan,” Wonyoung, surprisingly, despite being jealous of Minjoo’s interactions with Chaewon, she never harbored any bitter feelings towards the other girl. After all, they were still close friends and Wonyoung valued her friendship with people very much.

    Minjoo, also, still treated the girl well despite knowing she was Chaewon’s crush. Wonyoung was too lovable to be hated in her opinion. She could never hate such an innocent bunny.

    Settling down beside Yuri, she asked, “Who’s Hii-chan?”

    The others perked their ears and stopped eating, furrowing their eyebrows.

    “You don’t know, Hii-chan?” Sakura questioned, spooning herself a bowl of mushroom soup.

    Minjoo just shook her head.

   “She’s one of Chaewon’s favourite dongsaeng. Along with Wonyoung of course,” Yuri explained simply.

    Chaeyeon added, “She’s in the same class as me and Hyewon too. Oh and she’s also my dance club Vice President so Yena and Yujin should know her as well,”

    Minjoo turned to Yena and Yujin who just nodded, acknowledging the statement.

    “She’s really sweet and cool,”

    Minjoo thought about it for a moment, trying to piece everything together, “Wait. How is she Chaewon’s dongsaeng when we’re the same age?”

    Chaeyeon answered, “She’s the same age as Wonyoung and Yujin but she skipped a grade since she needed to head back to Japan next year. She had to graduate early so she chose to skip a grade. That’s why we’re in the same class,”

    “I wish I could skip a grade,” Yena muttered while munching her sandwich.

    “With grades like yours, I don’t think you could. You might have to repeat one,” Sakura joked. The duck whined while trying to smack the other girl.

    “They’re close? You guys know this Hii-chan too?”

     Nako replied, “Hm…. They’re really close. Chaewon really adores Hitomi like her own little sister,”

    “If you meet her yourself, you would actually might want to make her your own sister too. Hitomi has that power,”

    She continued after having a bite of Yena’s sandwich, getting even louder whines by the latter, “Chaewon is actually close to Hitomi’s friend group. It’s mostly a group of the Japanese transferees. Sakura and I are close friends with them too but we chose to play with you weird people instead,”

    Sakura nodded, grinning widely, “Be grateful, kids,”

    “Could you go with them instead?” Yujin playfully asked, earning a glare by the cherry blossom. She just raised her hands, laughing.

    S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter