Chapter 22

Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On a beautiful morning with the sun barely up, a duck was in the midst of chasing a puppy around the dock, interrupting the supposedly peaceful nature of the morning.

    “AHN YUJIN YOU IDIOT! GIVE IT BACK!” Yena yelled, stopping in her tracks to take a breath. Panting, she glared at the puppy that had her tongue stuck out, a distance away, teasing the latter while holding up a photo.

    “I’M GIVING IT TO YURI UNNIE!” The puppy yelled back, a wide grin plastered on her face as she scanned the surroundings, looking for another girl.

    Yena started to panic, resuming her chase towards the younger girl, in hopes she could retrieve the piece of paper back before it fell in the hands of her girlfriend. Being an athlete, she was bound to have high stamina but she obviously couldn’t beat Yujin, the star track athlete of their school especially since she had shorter legs.

    Yujin was having fun, running around until she bumped into another person. She fell on the cold floor with a thud.

     Groaning, she looked up to see the person she just bumped into. Her eyes widened when she saw the student council president and the treasurer looking down at her with curiosity etched onto their faces.

    Chaewon held out her hand, which Yujin gladly took, as she stood back up, “Thanks!”

    Chaewon’s eyes caught the sight of the photo on the floor beside where Yujin fell which Yujin seemed to forgot for a second. She picked it up and burst out laughing the moment she laid eyes on it.

    Yuri shuffled her feet towards her best friend, wondering what was making the girl cracked up. She took a peek at the paper in her hand. She felt the blood in her face draining when she noticed the photo.

    It was a photo of her during elementary school, wearing a Powerpuff Girl outfit at her birthday party. She was cosplaying as Buttercup. Her hair was braided to seemingly look like her favourite cartoon character and wore a light blue dress as she made a pose, similar to the opening of the cartoon.

    Yena caught up to the girls, finally realizing that the photo was in Yuri’s hands by now. The duck turned flustered as she tried to snatch the photo back but her hand was swatted away by the embarrassed and red hamster.

    “WHERE DID YOU EVEN GET THIS?? I BURNED EVERY SINGLE EXISTING COPY OF THIS PHOTO,” Yuri remarked furiously, trying to hide her red face with her hands as she shoved the photo at Yena's face.

    “Baby, calm down,” Yuri was, by now, smacking the girl’s arm countless of time while the duck helplessly looked at her friends. The other two, Chaewon and Yujin just grinned childishly, ignoring them before walking off together towards the other direction, leaving the two to bicker by themselves.

    After a few smacks, Yuri calmed down but she glared sharply at her frightened girlfriend. “Where did you get it?”

    Yena awkwardly laughed, scratching her cheek as she timidly answered, “Your parents gave me a copy after we started dating,”

     Yuri’s face turned stoic, void of emotions which scared the duck even more. The girl folded her arms angrily, huffing, “You’re unbelievable,” Yuri walked off after throwing the photo at the latter’s face, running after her best friend to complain.

    Yena caught the photo before it reached the ground again and chuckled at her girlfriend’s cute behavior. Looking at the photo in hand, she smiled before safely tucking it back into her wallet.

    They were at the dock, waiting for the other bus carrying the remaining students to arrive. Yujin and Yena were lucky enough to be seated in the first bus. They had already settled down and found a seat on ferry that will take them to the island. The two placed their belongings on the seat but Yena had accidentally dropped her wallet. Unfortunately, it was picked up by none other than the trouble making girl, Yujin who took a peek of the inside and found the photo of Yuri that Yena had kept a secret.

     And that was how the two were chasing each other outside while the other students just shook their head at their antics. Yuri, Chaewon and Hitomi were placed in the second bus and arrived over half an hour later than the two. Hitomi went off to take a nap since it was still dawn after all while Chaewon and Yuri decided to go look for their two friends who took the earliest bus and just so happened to come across them running around like a bunch of kids.

     The others were not as lucky to be put in the last two buses which would probably take another hour to arrive. The ferry wasn’t supposed to leave by 9 but to avoid traffic jams during work hours in the morning, they had set off after dawn so there was enough time for them.

     Chaewon was still laughing at how Yuri kept rambling on about Yena beside her while Yena just followed behind her like a lost child, figuring a way to talk to her sulky girlfriend. Chaewon turned her head around for a moment and caught the knowing puppy eyes Yena sent her and just chuckled, before giving an excuse to leave the two behind. Yuri whined, understanding fully that Chaewon wanted to leave the two alone. Yujin had already went back into the ferry to take a nap, after exhausting herself and trying to conserve her energy for when they actually arrive on the island.

     Yuri sulked even more when Chaewon just gave her more excuses and told her to go back inside with Yena. Being the bold and confident person she is, Yena thanked Chaewon before pulling the hamster into the ferry by her arm despite the latter’s loud protests.

    Leaving Chaewon outside alone, the red head decided to sit back on one of the benches and enjoy the view on the side. Only a few other students were lingering outside, probably trying to enjoy the fresh air like she was. 

    She used the extra free time to recall the events that have been driving her crazy the past week. She didn’t know when and how in the world did it happen, but it seemed like Wonyoung a.k.a her crush was starting to actually reciprocate her feelings. She should have felt elated but instead, she couldn't help but feel worried for Minjoo instead. She was worried if the beautiful girl would have a breakdown again and she sincerely wished it would never happen. 

     She did love being with Wonyoung, especially every time the little bunny would plead cutely for her attention and she could do nothing but turn helpless for her. It was really reassuring to know that the girl enjoyed her company.

     But, for Minjoo, it was like an indescribable feeling. A feeling she can't describe. She knew, deep down, Minjoo had a special place in her heart. Like Chaeyeon had said the other day, she was falling for Minjoo and yet, she just couldn't erase her love for Wonyoung that easily. 

    She was about to ponder about the answer until she felt movement right beside her and a gentle voice calling her.

    “Chaewon?” Chaewon snapped her head to the owner of the voice and smiled softly when she saw the actual person. She was, after all, just thinking about her. All of her thoughts vanished into thin air as she directed her attention to the newly arrived.

    “Did I bother you?” Minjoo asked, worried she was interrupting the other girl’s personal time. She noticed how tense the president's facial features looked from a distance.

    Chaewon shook her head, dismissing the girl’s concern. The red head stared at the girl’s face tenderly, a bit too obviously, causing the latter to start getting embarrassed with the warm brown orbs staring deeply into her own.

    Hiding her face with the side of her hair, she shyly asked, “Why are you looking at me like that?” 

    “You’re really pretty, you know that?” Chaewon blurted, out of nowhere. Realizing what she just said, she turned away immediately, a blush threatening to creep onto her cheeks.

    “Where did that come from?” Minjoo was starting to get flustered. She was fanning herself with her hand, feeling her face getting redder again all of a sudden after the sudden compliment.

    “I-I just had the th-thought,” Chaewon stuttered. Minjoo glanced at Chaewon who had her head lowered and giggled, finding it adorable when the usually cool and composed red head was stuttering in front of her.

     Minjoo, gathering every courage she had, scooted closer to Chaewon. She wanted to use the time alone with the girl well since Wonyoung haven’t arrived yet to steal her away. It wasn’t always that she could have the girl to herself and she wanted to live every moment of it even if she was going to embarrass herself.

    Noticing the slight movement from the other girl, Chaewon secretly smiled. She was quite impressed by the girl’s bold actions especially now that she confidently latched their hands together.

    Chaewon didn’t mind holding hands with her. Minjoo’s hands felt warm and comfortable with hers. Especially in the cold breezy morning they were in. It felt perfect. 

    Placing their hands together on her lap, Minjoo quietly asked, “Can I ask something?” 

    Chaewon hummed, returning her gaze to the sea in front of them, “Sure,”

    “What would you do if your crush likes someone else and the other person actually likes her back?”

    “I mean, would you try to fight for her love even though you know they love each other?” Minjoo timidly asked, her gaze rooted on their hands as she stared at them lovingly. She was appreciating the moment she had together with her.

    Minjoo wasn’t aware of the latter’s troubled glances towards her. Chaewon threw subtle glances towards the frog like girl, trying to check her emotions. Noticing how Minjoo looked helpless as if she gave up, Chaewon couldn’t bear to see the expression Minjoo was making any longer.

     She inhaled sharply before speaking, “For me, as long as they haven’t declared their love to each other… There’s still a chance. If I like them so much, I wouldn’t just give up until it actually end or I would regret it for the rest of my life,”

     The sincere words coming from Chaewon reached Minjoo’s heart. She had a thought, of wanting to give up since it looked hopeless in her end, but after hearing the girl’s advice, she felt her words were true. She would regret it.

    She didn’t want to regret it later if she didn’t try to fight for her love. 

    Minjoo’s lips curved upwards as she thought it over. She was about to thank the latter until a loud voice called them out from a distance.

    “EXCUSE ME LOVE BIRDS! I KNOW YOU’RE HAVING A MOMENT THERE BUT WE ACTUALLY NEED YOU HERE MISS PRESIDENT!” Nako was yelling from the top of her lungs at the front deck of the ferry.

    Chaewon stifled a laugh, at the sight of the short girl with the loud voice before standing up. Minjoo released their hands as she knew Chaewon needed to attend to her duties first and stood up as well.

    Chaewon gave a small smile, patting the girl’s head despite being an inch shorter than her before running off to reach the loud reporter. Minjoo also quickly returned to the ferry after realizing all the buses had arrived and everyone was having a roll call.

    In the ferry, the earlier students were sitting comfortably on the cushioned seats while the students who came later were standing, holding onto the poles to keep their balance. 

    Chaewon found Sakura, her Vice President along with the teacher in-charge, Mr. Lee on the front deck. Sakura saw Chaewon coming from the corner of her eye and ushered her to come over quickly.

    “Good morning, Mr Lee,” She politely bowed towards the older man who gave a large smile. He nodded and gave a few words to the two before walking off to meet the captain of the ship.

    “Is roll call finished?” Chaewon questioned. Her eyes wandering around inside of the ferry, catching the flock of students, chatting happily together.

    Sakura informed, “Yuri and I already checked the seniors attendance. Everyone’s present, President,” she said in a mannerly tone, fit for a person during duty.

    She added, “Nako and Wonyoung are in charge for the juniors. They should be back soon,” As soon as she said that, Nako and Wonyoung appeared from one of the cabins, approaching them.

    “Juniors are all here,” Nako informed giddily, obviously excited for the trip. Chaewon nodded, dismissing them before heading towards Mr. Lee in the captain’s cabin.

    “Everyone’s attendance had been checked. We should be able to leave now,” 

    Mr. Lee subtly nodded, “Okay,” before going off to the captain to inform him of the matter.

     The ferry started moving a few minutes later, signalling that they were finally leaving and had started their long-awaited trip especially for the seniors. A lot of the students had already left the inside and went to enjoy the view of the beautiful emerald sea, taking photos to make the moment last longer. 

    Their group was not an exception. Sakura was now posing along the railings, making various poses along with weird ones while Chaeyeon was forced to take pictures of the cherry blossom. Usually it was Nako but Nako was busy running around the ship to get feedback and interview some of the students since it was her job. Her team, mainly consisting of the little amount of seniors and juniors were busy the whole time, trying to take in as much news as possible for the next school magazine.

    The Editor Club which Nako, the President consisted of a lot of students, mainly sophomores and freshman. That was exactly the reason why they were short in hands. There were only five of them currently, three juniors; Chowon, Sohee, Dami and the other senior Miyu. It was a hassle but they were working hard to take the best pictures and interviews from the flocking students.

    Hyewon was also taking selfies at the corner, without anyone’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter