-Chapter Twenty-

Angel and Devil

Chapter Twenty

Morning arrived, rays of sunlight hit Jaekyung's tear-stained cheeks. 

"Ah, its morning already." she muttered out loud. "I'll just go back to sleep for a little more."

She rolled on her side with her back facing the window. As she was about to drift back to sleep, the smell of bacon and eggs filled her nose and her stomach let out a loud growl. 

Ugh, a girl's gotta eat when a girl's gotta eat I guess.

Jaekyung cleaned herself in the bathroom before heading out to the kitchen. Kris  and Jaekyung's eyes met, but they both looked away almost immediately, not sure of what to say to each other. 

The pair had their breakfast in silence. 

"Hey," Kris started, breaking the unnerving silence between them, "I'm sorry, you can go back if you want. I won't keep you with me here anymore."

Jaekyung looked at him, her eyes widened in surprise. "W-what do you mean?" she replied. 

Deep down, Jaekyung was disappointed, her heart sank a little upon hearing his words. 

"I realised how difficult this change must be for you, and you do love Sehun afterall. I thought about it the entire night and it's just not worth it if you're gonna be unhappy staying with me. I shouldn't have forced you in the first place." Kris sighed. 

Jaekyung stood from her seat and brought her plate to the kitchen, trying to escape the awkwardness and in denial of the sinking feeling in her chest. 

"Yeah sure, I'll be leaving later, don't worry about that." She muttered under her breath but audible enough for Kris to hear. 

A sharp pain pierced his heart as he heard Jaekyung's reply, he didn't know that it would hurt so bad, but tried to brush it away. 

If it makes you happy not being with me, then I should let you go.

 

Back at EXO's house, Sehun was pacing back and forth, waiting for Jaekyung to give him a text or a call. The door to his room burst open, interrupting his thoughts. 

"Yo, are you feeling better?" Luhan asked as he entered the room. Sehun turned to look at him, the bags under his eyes clearly showing that he has not slept well in forever. "I don't know hyung." he sighed. 

Luhan put his arm around Sehun's shoulder, giving it a tight squeeze. "I know it's been tough, but I'm sure things will get better. Come on now, let's go have breakfast, then I'll take you out for a breath of fresh air." Sehun smiled and felt slightly better from the reassurance. 

 

The clock struck 12. Jaekyung was almost done packing her bags, but somehow, she kept hesitating on leaving. 

"Are you ready to go?" Kris asked. Jaekyung nodded her head. "Let me drive you there." He suggested. 

Jaekyung stopped in her tracks, her grip on her luggage handle tightened. "It's fine, you don't have to Kris." she said as her head lowered. 

He looked at Jaekyung, concerned. There was an unsettling feeling in his chest; he knew what Jaekyung was feeling. He knew deep down that she doesn't want to leave. "I just want to make sure that you're safe Jae." Kris reached his hand out to Jaekyung. 

"I can manage Kris, don't make it harder for me." she said as tears were flowing down her cheeks and a lump forming in . 

"But-"

"I said I'm fine Yifan." she said firmly as she walked out of his apartment. Kris was surprised, Jaekyung has never called him by his chinese name before, even as Kim Jimin.

As the door closed behind her, Jaekyung broke down in tears. 

Why am I like this? Why am I feeling this way? Is it because of that stupid connection that we have with each other? 

After a few minutes, she regained her composure and made her way to hail a taxi. 

Kris sat on the couch, feeling confused. The mark on his wrist glowed dimly and eventually stopped. It hurts. The connection between those who are fated to be together is unbreakable and felt very strongly between the two. Leaving each other like that, made their hearts felt like it was being ripped apart. 

 

Meanwhile, Sehun and Luhan were having fun at the arcade. Luhan decided to bring the maknae out for a little fun as he has been frustrated over Jaekyung for the past month already. They were going around the mall trying the latest fashion pieces and grabbing a cup of coffee together. 

"Thank you hyung." Sehun said with sincerity. Luhan smiled knowing that he enjoyed this little outing that he had planned for the younger one, "Anytime Sehun. You'll always be like a dear younger brother to me." he replied as he ruffled Sehun's hair. 

"Hey! You're gonna mess my hair up!" Sehun complained. The older one stuck his tongue out childishly, "Too bad." The two bantered jokingly, and laughed at how child-like they were behaving. 

 

Jaekyung reached EXO's mansion, feeling nervous, she rang the doorbell and was greeted by Suho. Upon seeing him, she burst into tears, "Appa..." 

Suho gave her a tight embrace tears filling his eyes, "Welcome home little one." 

The boys welcomed Jaekyung home as it has been a week since she was gone. She quickly settled into her old room. 

It feels great to be back.

A knock on her room door could be heard. "Come in." she responded. The door creaked open slowly and Lay poked his head into the room. "Are you free to talk?" 

Jaekyung nodded, and Lay entered, closing the door behind him. He sat on the chair, a distance away from her. 

"Hey," he began, "I think you need to see this." Lay whipped out a book from thin air. Jaekyung read the contents on the page. 

'Crowning ceremony of the next Queen on 30th March' 

Her eyes widened in shock, "How can this be? I've never heard of this."

"I'm afraid that Kris is trying to take things into his own hands, look at this" Lay pointed to a section of the article. 

'Our future king has found the queen and they have agreed to rule over the Underworld. The new queen is a mortal, but has agreed to convert to a devil as she realised that her soulmate is the future king.' 

"Mortal?" Jaekyung exclaimed in confusion, "Am I not the next queen? Do they not know that Kris is the next king and that it's written in the proohecy?" 

Lay sighed, "Nobody knows who the next king is, it's kept confidential within the Superior Court. It seems that Kris has got someone else to pose as queen. But it won't be good if everyone found out that his true soulmate is you. Unless he hides her identity." 

Devils and angels are simple creatures, they follow the rules written by their superior. Whatever the prophecy says is strictly followed by each kind. Therefore, if Kris was found out, the other devils will not be pleased to hear that he went against the prophecy. 

"I'm calling Kris." Jaekyung picked up her phone and dialed his number. 

"Hello?" Kris answered. 

"What are you planning? Why are you doing this?" she asked. 

Kris sighed audibly, "Why does it concern you? You wanted to be with Sehun. I'm merely being responsible for my tasks."

"Because I'm the next queen! Who did you get to replace me? What if the others found out?" Jaekyung retorted. 

"Kris are you done yet honey?" A woman's voice was heard from the other end of the call. 

Jaekyung felt a pain in her chest when she realised that Kris had indeed found someone to replace her. 

"I gotta go, enjoy your life Jaekyung." He said as he hung up. 

 

Jaekyung collapsed on the ground, unable to speak. Lay rushed to her side immediately, not sure of what Kris said to her but it must've hit Jaekyung really hard. 

"Jaekyung! Are you alright?!" Lay asked anxiously. 

Her vision was getting blurry, she looked at Lay, but all went black.


not me delivering a double update almost 5 years later LMAO

but i hope you're enjoying the story so far! <3