Thunder In My Heart

The Frozen Soul's Fire


 

*NOT MY PICTURE*

 

Suzy:
            I stood in the school yard. Before me was the deformed tree and a boy with his back faced to me. He screamed and cringed in pain. Blood splattered in the air, followed by pure white feathers. He flapped his wings and a gust of wind picked me up from the ground. He flew to the sky as I flew to the ground. I reached my hand out for him and told him not to leave me but there was only silence in my voice. He was out of sight and the blood stained feathers fell like autumn leaves. My hand was still in the air, trying to stretch and reach out for him.

            The sound of thunder woke me from my dreams. The pouring rain danced on the window panes. Rain. I missed the country side's summer rain. How beautiful it was. Let me rejoice with it once more before I leave. I walked outside and felt the rain drops soak my body with bliss. I twirled and danced and laughed. I remembered playing in the rain with dad. At times, I could not tell if the water streaming down his face was rain or tears. He didn't like the rain, it reminded him of his mother who he had loved more than himself. But, I loved the rain. It was the perfect mask for the tears that I always wanted to let escape from their jail cells. I danced with the rain and cried away all of the pain. I needed to go back home. I needed to return to that dull, emotionless life of mine where I could fade away in the background like the trampled dandelions growing in the cracks of the sidewalk. The thunder roared like the screams that I always wanted to scream but never found the strength to. The lightning clapped at my performance and illuminated the dim sky. The tempo of the thunder and lightning increased as my feet rapidly moved across the muddy dance floor. The blasts of excitement, the thrilling shocks, the trembling ground, they were enticing and filled my lifeless body with joy!

"What are you doing!" Jinyoung yelled before he ran up to me from the house.

"I'm dancing. It's fun." I smiled as the rain cloaked my tears.

"Then why are you crying?" He said as he grabbed my arm and tried to pull me closer to the house.
 

Jinyoung:

            She wouldn't budge. She just stood there and looked at the mud on her bare feet. I pulled her by the arm again but she didn't move an inch. Instead, she fell to her knees.

"Come on. It's dangerous to be out here right now." I said as I reached for her arm.

"Don't touch me!" She shouted as she slapped my hand away.

"You're going to get sick." I said as the rain poured down on me.

"Then let me get sick or struck with lightning. At least I would be able to feel a different kind of pain."

"I didn't want to do this but I guess I have to." I said before I wrapped both of my arms around her and carried her into the house and then into the bathtub where she could wash her muddy self.

            She sat quietly in the bathtub as I washed my muddy feet in the sink. She hugged her knees and listened to the harmony of the rain and thunder.

"Hey..." She said softly.

"What is it?" I turned my head and looked at her.

"Don't you get lonely here?"

"No. Not really." I cleaned my big toe in the running water although it was already clean.

"Okay. That's good. Can you take me to the train station when the rain clears then?" She asked.