Fate, I'll Avoid You

The Frozen Soul's Fire

                                                 

*NOT MY PICTURE*

 

Suzy:
"You shouldn't look at me too much." He said as his eyes focused on the dirt road.
"I'm not looking at you." I quickly replied as I turned my head to look outside of the window to hide my flushed face.
"Don't look at me too much or else you'll end up falling in love with me." He warned as he pulled into the market.
            I ran beside him as he strolled along the path, glancing around at the shops. I walked beside him as childhood memories ran through my head. I remembered the smell of seafood and fresh kimchi. I remembered how dad always bought squid from the shop at the far end of the market. I remembered how mom always bought me rice cakes from the kind lady who always wore a blue apron. I remembered the dirt and the miserable rainy days when it turned into mud. I remembered the little toy shop where dad bought Boxer, the teddy who sits on top of the refrigerator. I looked around and sniffed the scent of the market as Jinyoung bought food. As we walked along, he stopped by a shop and I glanced about, reading the signs of shops and recognizing them from my childhood. I looked across from those shops and saw the little toy shop.
            I walked towards the tiny toy shop as I thought about dad. He gave me Boxer in front of this shop long ago, with his peaceful face and peaceful smile. I looked at the cotton candy machine in front of the shop and remembered eating the cotton candy during warm summer evenings as a child. I looked at the colorful balloons and remembered holding onto a balloon as I walked with mom and dad down to the beach at the sunset. I heard the rustling of bags and light footsteps from behind me. I felt a tap on my left shoulder and turned my head to the left. No one was there. I felt a tap on my right shoulder and turned my head to the right. No one was there. I turned myself around in a complete circle before seeing Jinyoung squatting on the ground. He laughed as I looked away to hide my embarrassment.
"Do you want something from the toy shop?" He said as he stood up.
"No. I was just thinking of something." I replied.
"What were you thinking about?"
"Forget it. It’s not important."
"Tell me anyways." He smiled.
"This was the shop where my dad bought me the teddy bear that's on top of the refrigerator." I sighed.
"What? No way. That teddy bear is mine. I brought it with me when I came back here from Seoul." He said with a puzzled face.
"What? No, that teddy bear is mine. It was custom made by this shop owner; there's no duplicates."
"Grandpa Pyo gave me the bear at a summer festival in this town. I think I was only eight back then." He pondered.
"That's strange. I remember bringing the bear to a summer festival when I was eight. I don't know if I lost it there or at home, but it was definitely gone after the festival. I thought that I lost it at home and you found it while cleaning out the storage room."
"No, I brought the bear to the house... Oh well, I have to finish shopping." He said before he starting walking again.
            I followed him as he walked around the market, greeting all of the shop owners with a warm smile. I tried to remember what happened at the festival. I must have lost Boxer at the festival and his grandpa probably picked Boxer up and gave him to Jinyoung. That means that we encountered each other before meeting each other. If that was true, then we must have encountered each other countless amounts of times before meeting each other. Fate was the only thing that I could think of. But I thought that it was corny and cliché. I was creating a false sense of hope for myself. I cleared the thought out of my head. I didn't want to think about Jinyoung. Because I knew that I'd have to leave him in a few days’ time. I didn't want the past to replay again. I didn't want my heart to get stirred and nourished by enormous moments. I didn't want that because in a blink of an eye, we'd be apart again. The warmth of summer will be gone. The summer with Jinyoung will be gone. And autumn will take over. And loneliness will take over.

 

----------------

Author's Note: Sorry short chapter. I am soo tired. Sorry for slow updates, school has started again