The Sun And The Moon

The Frozen Soul's Fire

                                                         

*NOT MY PICTURE*

 

Suzy:
“So that’s what happened?” Mom asked Jinyoung with a skeptical look on her face.

We sat in the kitchen (he was fully dressed now) and discussed what we would do with him. While mom questioned him, I just stared at his brown eyes, his perfect nose and his kissable lips.

“I’ll leave in the morning.  I’m sorry for intruding.” He bowed his head.

“Wait! Mom! Can’t he just stay here?” I frantically said after being released from my daze.

“Why should he? This is my house?” She raised her eyebrow.

“Uh… well… Look at the house now! It’s exactly like how it was when dad was here. Besides, who will make sure that the house is nice when we leave? We only come here in the summer anyways. We should let Jinyoung take care of the house while we’re in Seoul. After all, he must be a good person because he’s a police officer. ” I managed to pull off.

“How did you become an officer?” Mom asked him.

“I was at the market a few months ago and caught a thief that robbed a woman. The chief of police personally asked me to become an officer because the other officers were aging and there were no new recruits in years.”

“Is that so? Well I guess that it’s okay if you stay here.” Mom nodded her head.

“Thank you! I would have had nowhere to go.” He smiled.

“I’m going back to Seoul. I heard that customers are upset that the café is closed. I’m losing a lot of business. Suzy, pack up and we’ll leave in the morning.” Mom said as she stood up.

“Wait! I want to stay here longer,” I blurted, “it’s my vacation anyways. I need some time away from the crowded streets and fast life of Seoul.”

“Come back to Seoul by the end of the week by train. I’ll leave in the morning.” She surprisingly approved.


            I laid back down on my futon and looked up at Venus in the miniature sky. I thought about Jinyoung and remembered how we both had detention. I remembered cleaning the classroom together and I remembered how it felt when he placed his hand on mine when I couldn't reach the top of the board. I remembered how my heart jumped when I looked at his peaceful face as he wiped the board. I remembered how I wrapped my arms around his waist as we rode on his bike to the cafe. I remembered how he sang and how he nodded his head as he listened to music from his head phones. All of these memories that I deemed to be meaningless were running through my head again. I remembered how he kissed me after the shooting star flew across the autumn night sky.
            The next morning, I thought of what to wear. I rummaged through my suitcase, looking for something pretty to wear. I pulled out a short sleeved floral designed knee length dress. I held it against my body and looked in the mirror. This will do. I slipped into the dress but realized that I forgot to shave my legs. I took the dress off and then went rummaging through my suitcase again. I pulled out a pair of jeans and a white and red striped peter pan collared t-shirt. I put on the clothes and turn spun around in front of the mirror. This will do. After all, why was I trying to look pretty in the first place? I put on a pair of sneakers and walked into the kitchen, where Jinyoung was making breakfast. He asked me if I wanted to go to the market. I said yes.
            He pulled out of the dirt driveway and started driving to the market. My heart thumped by just being next to him. I looked out of the window to avoid having to look or talk to him. I looked up at the sky and saw that the moon was visible even though it was the morning. It felt oddly familiar, as if we were the sun and the moon. We were always apart; separated by night and day, but today we are together. Today we are shining together as one. I looked over at him as he watched the road ahead of him. My heart went into frenzy as I watched his eyes suddenly meet mine.