Camping

WINTER ROMANCE

CHAPTER 7

 

Soo Hyun and Suzy left the apartment and were walking to the bus station when Soo Hyun stopped and stood in front of her.

Suzy was confused at his sudden action, “Soo Hyun-ah…”

“Uhm, can you stay for another day?” Soo Hyun said while scratching his head nervously.

“Neh?” answered Suzy.

“Uhm, I can take you biking,” he answered immediately and thought for another reason, “or camping, skiing. Yeah, there’s a skiing and snowboarding slopes near here,” he was talking fast and with hand gestures that makes him look nervous.

Suzy smiled at his action, “Why do you want me to stay?” she asked curiously.

“Keugae… uhm…” nervously racking his brain to come up with an answer, “so you can enjoy?” he said questioningly and smiled. “Also, you can also take more photos; there are lots of beautiful sceneries here.”

Suzy looked at him questioningly, “Hmmm… Ok but I’ll ask first my Aunt and Unnie.” She got her cell phone and dialed her Aunt’s cell phone number.

“Please say yes, please,” Soo Hyun thought to himself.

PHONE CONVERSATION:

Suzy: Yobosaeyo? Imo, it’s me Suzy

Aunt: How are you dear?

Suzy: I’m fine Imo. Where’s Unnie?

Aunt: She’s not here; she’s out with her friends.

Suzy: Ah neh…

Aunt: What time are you going home dear?

Suzy: Well, you see Imo, I called to ask if I can stay here for another day. My friend here (she looked at Soo Hyun) wants to take me to a tour around the place.

Aunt: A friend?

Suzy: Neh, a friend.

Aunt: Yeoja?

Suzy: Ani, hehe..

Aunt: Namja?

Suzy: Neh. (she answered nervously)

Aunt: Can I talk to him?

Suzy: Neh? Wae Imo? (she answered nervously while looking at Soo Hyun)

Aunt: I want to know who you’re with.

Suzy: Ah, Neh.

She looked at Soo Hyun then gave him her cell phone, “My Aunt wants to talk to you, Mian Soo Hyun-ah.”

“Kwenchana,” he answered while smiling at Suzy then answered the call.

Soo Hyun: Yobosaeyo?

Aunt: Neh. So, what’s your name young man?

Soo Hyun: (he answered nervously) Kim Soo Hyun imnida.

Suzy shot him a look when she heard his name.

Aunt: Ok. Where do you live?

Soo Hyun: Neh? Uhmm, Apartment 502, Bldg 10, Gangnam District.

Aunt: How about your home number?

Soo Hyun:  08-526-9124.

Aunt: Social Security number?

Soo Hyun: 880216-1789012

Aunt: Ok, I’ll take note of them. Kim Soo Hyun-sshi, I’m entrusting my niece to you for today. So don’t you dare do anything, ok?

Soo hyun: Neh Imonim. Don’t worry. I’ll bring her home tomorrow safe and sound.

Aunt: Ok. I’ll trust you for now young man.

Soo Hyun: Kamsamida Imonim. (He smiled like a child then hanged up)

END OF PHONE CONVERSATION

(note: all details entered on the conversation are FICTION)

“Yah, you look like a child that’s been given a toy, haha. Are you really that happy? Hehe,” Suzy said while slightly laughing at Soo Hyun.

“Neh, hehe. So, what do you want to do?” asked Soo Hyun.

“First, I’ll have to leave my bag in my room, hehe,” she answered.

“Ok, come on.”

-oOo-

They went back to the apartment. They saw an amused Jin Guk and smiled widely at Soo Hyun with a thumbs up sign when Suzy went up to her room. After putting her bag, she went downstairs to meet Soo Hyun. Soo Hyun then led her to a bicycle rental shop.

“Soo Hyun-ah, I don’t know how to ride a bicycle,” she said while eyeing the bicycle with a nervous smile.

“Then I can teach you,” he answered enthusiastically.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course,” he answered.

-oOo-

They rented two bicycles, a blue one for Soo Hyun and a red one for Suzy. They went to the park dragging their bicycles. Soo hyun then helped Suzy ride and him holding the rear of the bicycle. Suzy went smoothly but when he released his hand, she got out of balance and fell down. He helped her get up.

“Kwenchana?” he asked.

“Kwenchana, hehe. That was fun, hehe. Let’s try again,” she answered determinedly.

After several fell, she got the hanged of it ans was soon riding together side by side. They were animatedly talking about the experience and were also laughing. He made her laugh with his funny imitations of some people and actions. They also took some photos of both of them riding bicycles.

They got tired after riding and sat down at the gutter. He got out two water bottles for them and drank and felt refreshed.

“How’s that for an exercise?” he asked.

“It was so, so much fun…” she smiled widely at him.

“That’s good to know.”

A minute has passed when Suzy said, “KIM SOO HYUN.”

He looked at her with a questioning look.

“Is that a common Korean name?” she asked curiously.

“Well, yeah. Why do you ask?”

“Ah, nothing. Do you have a sibling?” she asked.

“Opseo. You?” he answered.

“Neh, an Unnie. Her name’s Nana. We’re really the opposites you know. The face, the personality but even we still get along fine,” she answered with a small smile.

“That’s good. Do you miss your parents? Work? Friends?” he asked her curiously.

“I miss them so much. Some people may think that I don’t miss them coz I don’t call them that much but I do, I really do. Once I called them up, I can’t help but cry and I miss them more. So, I do the opposite. I know my parents knew that, that’s why they don’t sometimes call me,” she said and a tear escaped from her eyes, she smiled while she wiped her tear. She looks at him, “how about you Soo Hyun-ah?

He saw the tear and can’t help but be amazed at her personality and it made him realize how pretty she really is. He answered, “I often see them. I only missed them when I’m away or my work’s making me busy that I can’t go home for a week. But they often call me to check up and sometimes I do too.”

“I think you’re sweet, maybe a brat sometimes, hehe. But a good man,” she said.

“How can you tell?”

“I can see it in you. Don’t you think I’ll be friends with you if you’re not?” she challenged him.

“Haha. You can be wrong too, you know.”

“Now, I’m quite sure that I’m right, hehe. Do you have a girlfriend?” she asked straightforwardly.

“You’re really frank, haha. To answer you, opseo,” he answered.

“I guessed that too, hehe.”

“You’re good, hehe. How about you?” he asked.

“Me? Uhm, opseo?” she answered questioningly while trying not laugh.

“You’re not sure? Wae?” he asked curiously.

“Haha, Neh, opseo.”

“Ah, jashik, hehe,” he smiled.

“What if I have?” she asked curiously while looking at him intently.

He was taken aback, then answered, “Uhm… Good?”

“Haha… You’re so cute. Come on, let’s get these bicycles returned.”

-oOo-

They returned the bicycles and returned to the apartment. They slumped in the sofa besides each other. They didn’t realize that they fell asleep with their heads touching. Jin Guk saw them like that and secretly took a photo of them sleeping.

Soo hyun woke up first when he felt a hard object on his shoulder. He saw Suzy sleeping on his shoulders. He stared at her intently, noticing her curved eyelashes, flushed cheeks, pink lips and pretty nose.

“You’ll make her disappear if you’ll look at her like that,” Jin Guk said when he was going down the stairs.

Soo Hyun immediately shushed him up and Jin Guk just smiled at his friend.

Suzy woke up.

“Sleeping beauty has finally awakened,” Soo Hyun said jokingly.

Suzy looked up at him and realized that she was sleeping on his shoulder. She immediately sat straight.

“Mianhae, I didn’t notice I was already leaning on you,” she said guiltily.

“That’s right. You should say sorry. You don’t know how heavy your head is, my shoulder was so tensed,” He said while trying to act like his shoulder is hurt.

She got embarrassed, “Mianhae, sincha mianhae.”

Soo Hyun laughed and Jin Guk just snickered at his acting, “Haha, it was only a joke. Don’t take it into heart, hehe.”

“Aigoo,” she smiled. “By the way, what’s the time?”

“6 in the evening,” he answered.

“Wow, I really slept late,” she exclaimed.

“Come on, let’s prepare,” Soo Hyun said.

“For what?” she asked.

“We’ll go camping as promise,” he answered and turned to Jin Guk, “come with us.”

“No thanks. There’s no one left here but me. I’ll go ahead now, I have some errands to do,” bade Jin Guk.

Soo Hyun turned to Suzy then said, “Go on, go prepare. Make sure you’ll bring thick clothing.”

Suzy nodded then proceeded to her room to prepare.

-oOo-

Soo Hyun prepared his things and their food. He also borrowed two tents from Jin Guk. While he was busy preparing, Suzy has finished and went downstairs to wait for him. After several minutes, he arrived.

“Are you ready?” he asked.

“Neh,” she answered excitedly.

They were at the door when they met Jin Guk.

“Jin Guk-ah, don’t wait for us. We’ll be back tomorrow morning,” said Soo Hyun.

“Ok man. Take care you both,” he answered.

They now went outside to go to a campsite. While walking, Suzy can’t help but asked Soo Hyun where they were going, “Do you know where were going?”

“Of course. I’ve been there a lot of times,” he answered.

“Is it far?”

“Ani. We’ll just turn at that corner and we’re there,” he answered while pointing at the corner.

They turned around the corner and they arrived at the camp site. There were not many campers staying, some are threes, twos and a group of four and all were busy with their things not minding when they arrived. It was a relief for Soo Hyun for he can be himself.

They set up the tents, made bonfire and prepared their food. They also made hot chocos to lessen the cold. After preparing, they cooked their bbq.

“I can cook bbq without letting it burn, hehe,” she started the conversation.

“That’s good to know. At least you know how to cook, hehe,” he answered her with a little sarcasm.

“Are you making fun of me?” she asked while glaring at him.

“Of course not, haha,” he answered but then laughed hard. “Mian, mian, haha.”

“Aigoo. You wait and see, I will know how to cook,” she said determinedly.

“Haha, let’s see,” he said while still laughing.

“Seriously speaking, I will learn. You wait and see.”

“Ok, ok, hehe. Yah, stop glaring at me, haha,” he said when he realized that she’s still looking daggers at him. “What are the specialty foods in your country?’ he asked curiously.

“Hmm. Let’s see. The most popular Filipino dish is the beefsteak or Bistek in Filipino. There’s also the caldereta, lechon, etc, hehe. They’re all yummy, hehe,” she said while imagining the food and craving for them.

“I see, I haven’t tasted those even hearing it is a foreign language to me, haha.”

“When you visit the Philippines, make sure to eat them. Especially on Cebu, super yummy,” she said excitedly.

“I’ll remember those. I’ll make sure to visit the Philippines some time.”

“You should visit there especially the summer,” she suggested.

“I’ll do that. Be sure you’re my tour guide by the time I’ll visit.”

“Hmm, we’ll see,” she answered.

They started eating while having their conversation. Suzy got up and got the hot chocos and gave one cup to Soo Hyun.

“Thanks,” he said after accepting the cup.

“I’m glad I got the chance to be here. This will be my first to spend a white Christmas and I’m so excited,” she said excitedly while holding her hot choco.

“The Philippines is a tropical country, right?” he said.

“Neh. But I love it there, that’s where I grew up,” she said.

“Do you think you can live here for good?” he asked then looked at her.

“I haven’t yet thought about that. Maybe or maybe not. How about you? You think you can leave this country and live somewhere else?” she returned the question.

“Maybe or maybe not,” he answered humouredly. They both smiled.

Suzy got up and went to her tent to retrieve her camera and IPad.

“I wish I can buy a galaxy note tablet,” she said absentmindedly while turning on her tablet.

“Wae?” he asked.

“There’s this application I really want that only that tablet has,” she answered.

“What is it?”

“The photoshop app. IPad doesn’t have those. That tab cost more though so I chose IPad instead, hehe,” she said while scanning through her albums.

“I do have a galaxy note tab, want to try?” he suggested.

“You have? Can I?” she asked excitedly.

“For a while,” he went to retrieve his tablet and handed to her. “Here.”

Suzy got the tablet and was so immersed of the functionality of the tablet that she didn’t see Soo Hyun got her camera. While she was busily tweaking on his tablet, he was busy checking her photos on the camera. He saw lot of photos from her office, with friends, family, hers and more recently, his photos from Han River, from the gallery, her visits to tourist spots, in Myeondong with the filming crew. He suddenly remembered the day he was there, he was filming with Park Eun Bin and suddenly saw her and that she disappeared suddenly and thought that was only his imagination.

He thought to himself, “She really was there.”

He also saw a photo of Park Eun Bin and recognized his back. He smiled. He also saw photos from the palace, their Hanbok costumes and also the one night with the bonfire. He realized she took pictures of him secretly while they were talking and that made him smile even more. There are also photos when she fell, he didn’t know that she accidentally press the shutter.

“I didn’t even notice the flash. Maybe it was off. Then maybe she switched it on again when she thought that she was done then accidentally pressed it. Maybe” he thought.

“Then he saw a photo of a lip that’s very distinctly familiar and realized that it was his lips. He smiled at that even more. He then thought of asking about the photo and see her reaction.

“Suzy…”

“Hmmm?” she answered distractedly, still busy editing pictured from his tablet.

“Ige mwoya?” he asked while putting the camera in front of her. Suzy looked at the photo and snatched the camera away guiltily. “Wae? Hehe.”

“Nothing… It wwaas aan aaccidental shot. Yeah, that’s right,” she answered nervously while not looking at him.

“Sincha?” he asked again mischievously.

“Nneh…”

“Ahh…” he said while still smiling.

She looked up at him and saw him smiling at himself, she asked, “Why are you smiling?”

“Is it wrong for me to smile?”

“Ani…”

“Are you done?” he asked while pointing at the tablet.

“Ah, neh. Want to take a look?” she said eagerly forgetting the awkwardness. She showed him what she has done of her photo in a Hanbok and edited the background to make it look like she’s in the center with people surrounding her.”

“Whoa, this is very good. Put your signature on it,” he suggested.

She professionally signed her name on the left most bottom, “There!”

“So good, you save it,” he said.

“Neh,” she saved the photo. After, they played car racing on their tablets. The one who lost will answer the winner’s questions. They each asked their favorites:

Color

Suzy: Red/Black

Soo Hyun: Black/Green

Food

Suzy: Pasta

Soo Hyun: Pasta

Drama

Suzy: Dong Yi

Soo Hyun: Many. I can’t think of one in particular.

Music

Suzy: Ballad and dance

Soo Hyun: Ballad and classic

Hobby

Suzy: Photography, editing, writing and reading

Soo Hyun: Photography, editing and sleeping

Book

Suzy: Plenty

Soo Hyun: Molla, Haha

Movies

Suzy: Harry Potter movies

Soo Hyun: Many

Band

Suzy: CN Blue especially Jung Yong Hwa (answered dreamily)

Soo Hyun: (CN Blue? Hmmm, he thought to himself) Orange Caramel, Girls Generation

Ideal Type

Suzy: Nothing in particular

Soo Hyun: Kaya Scodelario

(Note: All details above are fiction only Soo Hyun's ideal type, hehe)

“Do you want to meet her someday?” Suzy asked curiously while resting from playing.

“Ani. She’s just my ideal,” he answered truthfully.

“I see,” she looked at her watch and asked, “aren’t we going to sleep yet?”

“Are you sleepy already?” he asked.

“Ani. It’s just we have to go home tomorrow. And you still have work remember?” she reminded him.

“I know. Ok, let’s sleep,” he said.

They prepared their sleeping bags and went inside their respective tents. After several minutes, Suzy still can’t sleep. She called Soo Hyun, “Soo Hyun-ah, are you sleeping already?”

“Not yet, why?” he answered.

“I’m kind of scared being alone. Can you sing for me?” she asked.

“Me? Sing? I’m not good at singing, hehe.”

“Kwenchana. No one will hear except me.”

“Aigoo. Ok, what song?” he asked.

“Anything.”

“Ok, here goes,” he started singing a song he remembered from his recently finished drama, titled ‘One and only you.’

“Do you know you have a good voice?” she said groggily, sleep is getting into her until he finished singing the whole song.

“Goodnight Suzy, sleep well.”

-oOo-

Suzy’s phone rang at 5:00 in the morning, she quickly packed their things and her tent. But still Soo Hyun didn’t wake up. It was almost 6 A.M. but still no Soo Hyun. She went up to his tent and called.

“Soo Hyun-ah… Soo hyun-ah… It’s already 6 A.M. Wake up now… Soo Hyun-ah,” still no answer so she opened the tent and saw him sleeping still. She shook his foot while calling him but still didn’t wake up.

“Aigoo… This guy’s really a heavy sleeper. Otteokaji? Aigoo. Soo Hyun-ah, wake up,” she now shook his body. She went to his face to slightly slap him. “Soo Hyun-ah, Soo Hyun-ah…” he murmered something incomprehensible. “Soo Hyun-ah, it’s past 6 already, you still have work, right? Soo Hyun-ah,” she made her voice louder.

“Hmmm. 5 more minutes,” he answered groggily.

“Andwae. Wake up now Soo Hyun-ah,” shook his shoulders, “Please wake up already.”

All of a sudden, Soo hyun grabbed her hands and she stumbled on top of him. He was still sleeping while holder her.

“Soo Hyun-ah, stop this. You’re going to be late for work,” she was about to stand when he tightened his grip on her hands. “Soo Hyun-ah, I’m going to be mad now, stop this and wake up,” she hardened her voice to make her voice sound like she’s angry.

“Aigoo… Arasseo, arasseo,” he answered.

She got up and went out so he can prepare his things. After 15 minutes, he went out of the tent then packed it. They walked when she noticed his face doing facial exercise but to Suzy, it seems he’s making a face.

“Why are you doing that?” she asked all of a sudden.

“What?”

“That making a face, it bothers me,” she answered.

“Oh this?” doing his facial exercise again. “It’s my facial exercise coz I know my face is swollen when I wake up so I do that,” he answered her.

“Really? Let’s see,” she scrutinized his face. “Hmm, yeah your face is kind of swollen but it’s not too obvious,” she continued.

“Not too obvious but still obvious, hehe,” he answered humouredly.

“Well, you don’t look bad. In fact, I find it cute. Your swollen face,” she said a matter-of-factly.

“Cute? Haha.”

-oOo-

They arrived at the apartment and immediately went to their rooms, took a bath, change clothes and prepared their things then went downstairs to eat their breakfast. By 8 A.M., they were already sitting on the bus after a quick goodbye to Jin Guk. They talked for a while, while the bus started to move.

“What time are you going to work?” she asked.

“12 noon.”

“Ah…” she got her headphones and put it on while the other one, she put it on Soo Hyun’s ears. “You can take a nap while listening. I don’t think you’ll like all the songs but bear with it, hehe,” she said.

“Thanks. By the way, can I ask for your cell phone number?” he asked.

“Why?”

“So I can contact you anytime,” he answered.

“Next time we meet again, I’ll give it to you, hehe.”

“Why are you always like that? Hehe.”

“You see, I’m a Korean but was raised with Filipino traits. I’m being ‘pakipot’,” she answered with a twinge of humor.

“Mwo? Pa-ki-pot?” he repeated the work slowly.

“That’s right,” she said while suppressing a smile.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” he asked curiously.

“Search for it then find me, I’ll give you my number then, hehe.”

“Aigoo, hehe… Jashik, hehe.” He can’t help but smile at her playfulness.

“Krom, let’s take a nap then,” she suggested.

-oOo-

After 2 hours of travelling, they arrived at Suzy’s stop.

“I’ll walk you to your street,” he said.

She nodded then walked to her street. After 10 minutes, they arrived.

“Here we are. You don’t have to walk me to our house,” she said.

“Ok. Take care. See you next time.”

“Take care,” she said.

He stared at Suzy’s retreating back while walking to her house. When she entered, he sat on a nearest bench, opened his tablet and surfed the net looking up the work. He typed the word on Korean to be translated but no work came up. He taught for a while.

“Should I type it in English alphabet? As far as I know, Filipino uses English alphabet. Well, let’s see,” he typed then stopped shortly, “Aigoo, what’s the spelling? I forgot to ask… Aish… ok, that’s ‘pa’, ‘ki’ and ‘pot’,” typed each syllable. “Is this even the correct spelling? Aigoo. Let’s see.” He then pressed the enter button and words came up, he smiled widely. “Hmmm, hmmm… so it means ‘hard to get’? haha… yokshi, jashik, hehe.” He then walked to Suzy’s house and got the nerve to knock, wishing she opened the door not someone else. “Huh! I can do this. Fighting!”

Suzy opened the door and was surprised to see Soo Hyun and he felt relieved when he saw Suzy.

“What are you doing here? I thought you left already,” she asked surprised.

“Well, I came here to give you the answer,” he said proudly while smiling.

“Huh? That fast? Hehe,” she said.

“Don’t want to waste time, hehe.”

“Haha. So let’s hear your answer then.”

“Pa-ki-pot,” he emphasized each syllable with a smile. “it means, ‘hard to get’, hehe,” he answered proudly.

She stared and smiled at him, “Well, well. You got it right. You’re fast, hehe,” she said somewhat awed at him.

“So, can I get your number now?” he asked excitedly.

“Haha, arasseo.” She got his cell phone and entered her number. She let her see her number to him, “Satisfied? Hehe”

“Neh. Thank you!” he bowed. “So, I have to go. Wait for my text, hehe. Bye Suzy-ah.” He ran while raising his hands, a sign of goodbye.

“Jashik,” she said to herself while slightly smiling at the encounter.

 

Author's Note:

HAPPY 2013 TO ALL! Have a good 2013 ahead. :D

Enjoy reading! :D