First Meeting

WINTER ROMANCE

 

CHAPTER 1

An airplane arrived in Incheon Airport, South Korea were many passengers are slowly stepping out of the plane to proceed at the Arrival Area. Two passengers are to be seen talking closely at each other, both have Korean looks but if heard them talking, both are talking fluently in English or Tagalog.

“Unnie, it’s been a long time since we’re here. When was the last time?” Suzy asked her older sister while walking to the Arrival Area.

“I think it was when we were in preparatory school, during our summer,” Nana answered her after thinking.

Both sisters are born with a Korean mother and father but were raised in the Philippines. After they were born in Korea, their parents both decided to leave Korea to experience living outside their comfort zone. Fortunately, they were successful in staying in the Philippines by doing business that they both want. A store was made and after all hard work they made it big, turning the store into a grocery store.

After more than 20 years of their last vacation, both sisters returned to their parents’ country.

“Unnie, let’s do the touring tomorrow. I’m so excited.” Suzy told her sister excitedly.

“Mianhe Suzy-ah, my friends are touring here as well and so we decided to go together. Why don’t you come along with us,” answered Nana.

“Kwenchana Unnie, I’ll just go by myself,” answered Suzy while getting her bags.

“Are you sure?” Nana answered worriedly.

“Neh, Unnie. Don’t worry,” answered Suzy with a smile. “Is Imo going to pick us up?

“Neh and I can see her right now. Imo!!” waving at her aunt when they were walking to the waiting area.

They both went to their aunt and hugged each other.

“Omo, you’re all grown up already. By the way, do you know how to speak Korean?” asked their aunt.

“Only a little Imo, we were lazy learning,” answered Suzy with a small smile.

“Ah, kwenchana. Fortunately, we can speak English at home. But you have to learn speaking Korean while you’re here. Not all people can speak and understand English here,” their aunt told them.

“That’s a relief. But neh, don’t worry Imo, we will learn,” answered Nana.

“Come on now, I know you’re both tired,” said aunt. They all proceeded to the car with their luggage.

By dinner, they all ate heartily with their aunt’s family.

“So Unnie, what do you both do recently?” asked So Min, their cousin.

“I’m on leave at school,” answered Nana.

“You’re now a teacher?”

“Neh, what do you think of me being a sonsaengnim So Min-ah?” answered Nana laughingly.

“Sincha? I also want to be a teacher,” answered So Min excitedly while clapping her hands. “How about you Suzy Unnie?”

“I’m also on work leave in a Travel Agency,” answered Suzy. “And also on a decision making vacation,” added Suzy smiling.

“What decision?” asked Imo.

“I’ll tell you once I made up my mind. I’m still on the process of deciding,” answered Suzy.

“Go out tomorrow so you can start brooding on your decision, hehe,” said Imo.

“What place should I visit tomorrow Imo?” asked Suzy.

“Don’t worry about that Suzy-ah, So Min-ah can go with you,” answered Imo.

“Omma, I have a work tomorrow," said So Min.

“Kwenchana So Min-ah, you can just give my directions on places I should go. Is that alright?”

“Keogjeong mal Unnie, I’ll just give it to you tomorrow before I leave,” answered So Min.

“Komawo So Min-ah,” said Suzy.

“How about you Nana-ah, aren’t you going with Suzy?” asked Imo.

“Aniyo Imo, I’ll be going with my friends, they are also on vacation here,” answered Nana.

Nana and Suzy went to sleep early after a long talk with them. At 8 AM, Nana went out to meet her friends while Suzy stayed for a while and by 10 AM, she decided to go out.

-oOo-

She carried her camera on her neck with her sling bag which contains her map, wallet, umbrella, vanity bag and a rosary that she always keeps. She wore her black bonnet with her wavy hair loose, a black windbreaker with a black turtleneck long sleeve underneath, black skinny jeans and a brown/black flat boots. She went out after being satisfied with her look.

First stop was the Han River. She took photos around and after some time, she went to the nearest coffee shop with a view of the Han River to have sip of hot choco and took photos again. She saw someone that caught her attention. A man walking while enjoying the breeze of Han River dressed in black windbreaker, black pants, black cap that mostly covered upper face, black shades, black scarf that covered his mouth, a black/white high cut converse shoes. Interestingly, she took photos of him.

“Dressed in black, hmmm. Most Koreans love colorful clothes but this man has interesting taste in color. Black,” Suzy talking to herself and smiling while she took more photos of the man.

She then went for a walk and saw a food stall selling ddukbokki. She ordered one and tried it for the first time. She didn’t know that it would be that spicy.

“Oh my!!! It’s so spicy…. Ah…” while fanning . “Ajhumma, mul…. juseyo, mul… juseyo,” asked Suzy while still fanning .

Here you go, drink carefully,” said Ajhumma.

Suzy drank the glass of water in one go. “Wah, that feels good,” said Suzy while slightly laughing at her situation.

“Tourist?” said Ajhumma in English.

“Neh. Keunde, Hangguk mal jal mothaeyo,” said Suzy with her crooked Korean. TranslateA: "I can't speak Korean very well."

“Ah,” smiled the Ajhumma. “More dduk?” asked Ajhumma.

“Aniyo, aniyo,” said Suzy smiling. “This is enough already. I just want to taste it. Kamsahmida,” said Suzy while bowing.

“Ok. meosjin hyugaleul,” said Ajhumma. Translate: “Ok. Have nice vacation.” Google translate

“Neh,” answered Suzy smiling at Ajhumma.

She took out her camera and took a photo with Ajhumma cooking and her half eaten ddukbokki.

She went for another walk, took photos on the scenery, the people passing. She saw a little store selling memorabilia. She went inside and bought something for her Mom and Dad, her best friends and close office mates.

She sat on a bench near a bus stop to rest and also watched people go on the bus, took photos again then went out for a walk again. She passed a 3D Art Gallery which she has seen on a drama and have been her wish to visit. She took a photo of the name of the gallery while sitting on her feet and was taken aback when a man appeared in front of her and she got caught off guard and sat involuntary and hit her behind with a soft thud.

“Oww, that hurts,” Suzy said as she tried to stand up.

“Joesomida. Jeongmal joesomida,” said the man while offering his hand to help Suzy stand.

*** The man is the actor Kim Soo Hyun.

“Kamsahmida,” said Suzy while arranging her things.

“Joesomida,” said Soo Hyun.

“Kwenchanayo. I was startled, that’s all,” replied Suzy.

“Are you Korean?” asked Soo Hyun.

“Cheoyo? Yup but I’m not from here,” answered Suzy while getting the dirt off from his pants.

“I’m right,” said Soo Hyun and continued, “You’re Korean’s not that good, Mianheyo,” smiling while apologizing at his behavior.

“I know, I’m still learning it, hehe,” said Suzy.

“Good luck on that.”

“Anyway, I’ll go ahead and good luck also on your English, you need more practice, haha,” said Suzy while jokingly laughing.

“Haha, thank you,” replied Soo Hyun.

 

She went inside the gallery followed suit by Soo Hyun but she didn’t notice him. She went straight to the front desk to buy ticket for the gallery while Soo Hyun went straight for the bathroom.

“Annyeonghaseyo! I’d like to buy a ticket for today,” she told the receptionist.

“I’m sorry Ma’am but all tickets are sold out,” the receptionist apologized.

“Ah, really? How about on another day?” asked Suzy.

“I’m sorry again but it’s all sold out until January next year. I’m sorry Ma’am,” replied the receptionist apologetically.

Suzy got sad as she can’t be able to explore the gallery. “Ok. Thanks anyway,” she said.

She was heading to the exit when someone called her.

“Excuse me Miss,” she looked at the person calling her and was surprised to see the man again.

“Oh you, hehe. What is it?” asked Suzy.

“I thought you’re going to look at the gallery?” replied Soo Hyun.

“Ah, tickets are all sold out until January next year. So….” She said.

“Ah really? Well, I have a spare ticket, you can have this,” Soo Hyun offered her the ticket.

“Aniyo, aniyo. Kwenchanayo,” she said although she really wants to go their badly.

“No, it’s all right. It’s just a spare if ever I wanted to come again. Look, I also have mine,” Soo Hyun said while getting his ticket.

“Really? Are you sure?” replied Suzy anticipatingly.

“Of course, don’t worry,” he said assuringly.

“Kamsahmida,” said Suzy bowing. “I’ll pay you, eolmayeyo?” continued Suzy.

“Don’t worry, I’ll give it to you for free,” he said sincerely while smiling warmly at her.

Suzy brightened up as he said that, “Jeongmalyo? Kamsahmida.  Neomu, neomu kamsaheyo,” she said while bowing 90 degrees.

“Haha, you’re too formal. Stop bowing, you don’t know, maybe you’re older than me, haha,” Soo Hyun said jokingly.

“I’m just grateful,” she said while smiling shyly. “Waeyo? Do I look so old? Hehe,” answered back on his joke.

“Aniyo, hehe.”

“I thought so too, hehe. Are you also going today? If not, I’ll go on ahead,” said Suzy.

“Yes, let’s go together,” he said.

They went inside the gallery. They talked about the paintings, how that was made or what’s their opinion of it, they also took funny photos of each, sometimes they let a resident too their photos. Basically, they were having and also surprisingly to both of them, they felt comfortable together.

Due to exhaustion, they decided to head out after they completed seeing all the paintings and went to the nearest coffee shop to take a break and have some snacks. They were about to enter the coffee shop when Soo Hyun’s phone rang.

“Yoboseyo?” answered Soo Hyun.

“Are you still out,” asked his Manager Hyung on the other line.

“Neh. Waeyo?”

“You need to come back. You have a meetings for your next project,” said his Manager.

“Chigumyo?”

“Yes, eodiga? I’ll get your driver to pick you up.”

“Aniyo. I’ll just get a taxi,” answered Soo Hyun.

“Arasseo. Be careful to not people recognize you. Ok?”

“Algaessumida.” He ended the phone call and faced Suzy.

“I’m guessing you’re to leave already. Am I right?” Suzy said smiling.

“Is it alright?” he answered while scratching his head.

“Of course! Don’t worry, I’m a grown up woman already. Go!” Suzy answered him.

“Thanks!” He was already heading to get a taxi but turned back to catch up with Suzy. “Wait!”

 

Author's NOte:

*** If words are italicized, it means they're talking in Korean. But if not, in English. :D

Anyway, that's Chapter 1. I don't know if it's your taste or not but I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. I'll try to make it more interesting on the next chapter. :D

And forgive for some grammatical errors if there is and this is my first ever full fan fiction, I hope you'll bear with me.

Annyeong!!! :D