Chapter 5: I’ve been trying to forget

Sour Candy

“It’s been a long time since we met! I really miss you, Seungkwan. I’m sure Vernon also feels the same. So, why don’t we go to a café or something and have lunch together. What do you say?”

“Sure, hyung. Sounds great.”

 

Here they are. In a café which Seungkwan planned on to go with Joshua, but with addition of Seokmin and Vernon.

The situation was awkward in the beginning, but Seokmin always tried to catch up with questions and update story of him and Vernon. Joshua only listens the whole conversation trying to hide his annoyance because Seungkwan seems too close to Seokmin for his liking. Vernon only keeps his silent and can’t help to stare at the beauty in front of him who looks too calm and happy.

He looks okay. He looks happy. He is not heartbroken anymore. Wake up, Vernon! It’s been five  years, he must be already moved on from him. Am I the only one who still has feeling for him? It must be karma. I finally taste my own medicine. Stupid Vernon. He becomes more beautiful…too beautiful. I miss his squishy cheeks that I pinched every time I met him. He dyed his hair blonde. Weird, he told me that he will never dye his hair. We made a promise. But, he doesn’t need to hold onto the promise anymore, does he? I mean…I already broke his heart to pieces. I broke the heart from the person I love. Does he already forgive me? I think no, does he forget about me? He does.’

Seungkwan may be looks nonchalant on the outside but he is actually dying on the inside. He tries his best to look happy, to look not bothered by the fact that his high school crush sitting in front of him and staring at him. Seungkwan wants to show him that he is okay. He already moved on. The presence of Vernon will not affect him at all. It’ll not bring any old memories he tried to bury since five  years ago. He wants to prove to Vernon that years of exercise, changing his style, dying his hair, getting a stable job, live his life happily are the prove that he is completely okay. The rejection did nothing to him whatsoever.

So far, his attempt to act nonchalant is going well as he wanted. He tries to step up to the next level by asking Vernon,

“What do you want to eat, Vernon?”

Vernon? Not Hansol? Why did he call me Vernon? I asked him to call me Hansol. Why did he call me Hansol in the bookstore and call me Vernon now?’ Seokmin nudges Vernon’s side because he is lost in his thought again. Hansol snaps from his mind and says the first thing that he really wants to say when he sees Seungkwan so close to him.

“You become more beautiful. I miss you, Boo.”

Everyone in the table look at Vernon in surprised while Vernon is completely oblivious by the situation still staring at his love. Joshua can’t believe his ear especially the ‘I miss you’ part. He’s sure that Seungkwan’s old crush was Seokmin because he once told Joshua one day but Seungkwan never talked about a guy named Vernon before. He is not stupid, he sure as hell that the guy and his crush had something before. While in his right, Seungkwan is completely taken aback by the sudden confession from Vernon. He only smiles awkwardly and looks at Seokmin to do something. Seokmin looks at Vernon in horror and glances at Seungkwan catching the signal.

“Well, of course our Seungkwannie is more beautiful now. We all know that. Not that you are ugly back in high school, Kwan. But I’m sure that’s not in the menu, dude. So what do you want to eat? Come on, Vern, I’m hungry.” Seokmin shoves the menu to Vernon who surprised and read the menu.

“Uhmm… I think I need to go to the restroom. Excuse me.” Seungkwan immediately stands up and goes quickly not waiting for an answer.

“What the hell was that, Vern?” Seokmin whispers to Vernon who still staring at Seungkwan’s direction.

“I don’t know, okay? I just messed up.” Vernon mutters silently so only Seokmin can hear that. There is a silent for 10 minutes and Joshua grows inpatient.

“Excuse me, Seokmin-shii. Is there something wrong with Seungkwan?” Joshua feels left out of the problem that is in front of him right now.

“No. Everything is okay.” Seokmin gives him his brightest smile hoping Joshua just forget everything the hell happening right now and drop the topic.

“Really? But what do you mean by ‘I miss you’ before, Vernon-shii?” Joshua turns his question to Vernon because he knows that he’ll never get the real answer from Seokmin.

“Not your business.” Vernon glares at Joshua and gets back reading the menu.

“Excuse me-”

Seokmin cut the unwanted conversation by saying, “Well, Jisoo-shii…as you can see, me and Vernon were Seungkwan’s friend back in high school. We all miss them. I said that too to Seungkwan, right? So I think it’s completely okay for Vernon to say it too. I mean they were close friend before, right Vernon?” the other boy only nods. Joshua seems displeased with the lame excuse but decides to drop the topic. He will ask Seungkwan instead.

Seungkwan comes back from the restroom a while later. The rest of the lunch is not too eventful as Seungkwan and Seokmin only have a small talk while Joshua and Vernon keep their silent.

“Well, see you next time, hyung. We need to catch up the train now.”

“You guys came here with train? Why don’t we go back together? I drive.” Seokmin shows them his key car.

“No, thanks, Seokmin-shii. We…need to buy something on the way home.” Joshua says politely.

“Oh, I don’t mind to drive you there.” Seokmin titles his head knowing what Joshua’s intention is.

“It’ll take time. You don’t have to, hyung. We’ll be okay.” Seungkwan assures Seokmin wanting to go from there as soon as possible because he can’t stand the staring from someone who didn’t say anything besides his sudden confession before.

“Okay, then. Ah but, give me you number, Kwannie. Don’t want to lost contact again, do we?” Seokmin gives him his phone and Seungkwan quickly input his number. “Here, hyung. Well, maybe we’ll meet again in the town. Thank you for the lunch.” Seungkwan bows and practically drags Joshua from there.

 

 

“I’ll give you his number when you already make up your mind.” Seokmin says when he stops at red light. They are already in the car drive back home.

“Yes, hyung. Thanks.” Vernon looks at outside the car.

 

 

“Do you want to tell me something, Seungkwan?” Joshua asks to Seungkwan who’s unusually quiet since lunch.

“No, hyung. There’s nothing to talk about.”

“Are you okay, Kwan-ah?’ Joshua looks genuinely concern.

“I’m okay.” Seungkwan gives him small smile to assure Joshua. He knows that the smile is not sincere. But he thinks that it’s enough…at least for now.

______________

AN: duududududuuu~ I’m so sorry…I love you guys :))

Midnight thought:

I want to see bickering Seungkwan and Vernon…it must be a very cute. I mean, I always see Seungkwan and Mingyu bickering