Chapter 13: Hi

Sour Candy

“I like you…No. I love you, Hansol-ah”

“I’m sorry, Boo. I can’t.”

 

******

 

Seungkwan wakes up from the alarm on his phone. His head is pounding hard and he can feel a track of dry tears on his cheek. He stares at the white ceiling above his bed. His alarm is still ringing but he doesn’t really have the energy to turn it off. It’s still 6 in the morning but he feels like to sleep again, all of his energy is drained remembering that dream. A dream which was actually happened five years ago. A curl of bitter smile tugging on Seungkwan’s lips, he blinks his eyes slowly and tries to think the meaning behind those sentences. Why did he apologize? Why did he say that he can’t? He can’t from what? There are so many questions so early in the morning. Seungkwan closes his eyes and slowly trying to reach his phone in the night stand because the sound of the alarm makes his head hurt even more.

Just as he grabs his phone, the alarm is cut by a message. Seungkwan opens the message squinting his eyes by the light from the phone.

Mr. Chwe

Morning, Seungkwan. Let’s meet at Star Café at 6 p.m. for the further arrangement. I’ll share you the location.

Star Café? Is that Soonyoung’s café? Seungkwan sits up before typing his reply.

Boo Seungkwan

Don’t need. I know where it is.

Mr. Chwe

Oh, really? kay then. See you.

 

Seungkwan only stares the reply suddenly feeling annoyed by those two words. ‘See you’. He wants to see me? Yeah, of course he wants to see me. It’s for a freaking meeting and the stupid project. Seungkwan tosses his phone into the pillow and curls up in his blanket again.

Today, there is no school so he can finally have another sleep this morning which is very rare of him to do. Usually, Seungkwan will always get up at 6 o’clock and do his morning routine whether there is school or not. But today is different. Not only today though, this month is different. Seungkwan realizes that these days he broke everything he used to do for the past years. Name it, he wears sweater more often, he doesn’t spend time again to styled his hair, he forgot to pay the monthly bill this month (the landlord finally asked his again twice this week), he ate a doughnut on Wednesday, on his veggie day, because Vernon brought it and shared it to the teachers in the school, he drank a can of cola because Vernon gave it to him, and et cetera and et cetera. All of this is caused by a person…a man…a man with brown hazel eyes, big gummy smile, and adorable laugh. Ughh! Seungkwan hates the idea that he can’t hate him that easily.

Why does Vernon not act like a jerk? It’ll be a lot easier for Seungkwan to hate him, or at least dislike him as a person. Right? Why does Vernon have to be really kind to Seungkwan? Why does he always ask if Seungkwan already ate his breakfast or not? Why does he care anyway? It’s only a freaking breakfast! And why does he have to mention that Seungkwan looks cute in his sweater…like every single time? WHY???!!!

He suddenly craves something really sweet. He wants to eat the strawberry short cake from Soon’s café. But today is Wednesday, his veggie day and he already broke it for the last two weeks. You know what? it! He already broke a lot of thing this month and he doesn’t even care to keep the usual routine anymore. He can eat all of cakes he wanted to eat. He is an adult who has his own money. He can afford it and not to mention Soonyoung likes to give him free cakes sometimes. And most importantly, it’s a cake he is talking about here. No one should deny a cake. No one.

He can gain few pounds for all he cares. Maybe Vernon will dislike him when he gaining few pounds! Well, it doesn’t sound like a bad idea. In fact, it’s a win-win solution! Vernon will leave him alone and Seungkwan can get every cake in the café.

Seungkwan springs from his bed, grabbing a towel so he can have a quick shower. He should look good if he wanted to get a free cake from Soonyoung. He sees his wardrobe pulling a white shirt and a pair of blue jeans. He combs his hair a little not minding to put gel like usual. He grabs his wallet and his car key because he feels like to drive his car today. He doesn’t want to take a walk like what he always did for the sake of burning calories. No, not today.

Morning breeze greets Seungkwan as soon as he steps out of his apartment. He goes back again to pull a light pink jacket. The radio is playing Super Junior song and Seungkwan sings along with windows down not minding the strange stare from people on the sidewalk. Seungkwan feels great today, No, Seungkwan wants to feel great today so he can put aside the ugly feelings from the dream last night.

 

 

Seungkwan parks his car few blocks from the café. He double checks his hair then grabbing his wallet and phone. He walks lightly while humming the last song played on the radio.

Soonyoung is currently sitting in the floor contemplating a menu board in front of his café. His apron and his face are smeared by dust from blue chalks which scattered besides him.

“Good morning, hyung!” Seungkwan jumps in front of Soonyoung making the older boy startles and screaming on top of his lung. “Woah..chill, hyung..” Seungkwan laughs at the wide eyes boy.

“For the sake of chocolate parfait, Seungkwan! Can you spare your hyung and not give me a heart attack in the morning.” Soonyoung stands up dusting the dirt from his jeans.

“Sorry, hyung-ah.” He points on the dusted apron, “But I think you should change that. I don’t want to taste chalks on my strawberry shortcake.”

“What? Ah, right. Come in, the cake should be baked now. I like your jacket by the way, so I’ll give you a free slice.” See? You should look good to get free cake from Soonyoung. Life hack!

Seungkwan chirps a ‘Thank you, hyung. You’re the best!’ and sits on his usual table near by the window. The café is not crowded yet because it’s only 7 in the morning. In fact, the café just opens when Seungkwan came in. Seungkwan stares at the people passing by the café when he spots two familiar figures on the other side of the road. A brown haired man is dragging a black haired man who looks very sleepy. Seungkwan squinting his eyes to make sure the face of those people. He widens his eyes when he recognizes those faces and also those people are obviously going straight to his direction. Seungkwan’s gaze follows them then he hears a bell from the café door and a yell from a very familiar voice.

“Good morning, my brother Soon! I bring you the English man!” the brown haired man, Seokmin goes straight to the counter leaving the black haired man, Vernon by the door.

“I’m not an English man. I’m from New York and it’s 7 in the morning, hyung!” He grumbles sitting on the nearest chair and rest his head on the table.

“Soon? Oh~ Soonyoung~ Where are you, buddy~” Seokmin looks around the café then screams once again when he spots a familiar brown hair sitting on the corner of the café. Seungkwan freezes cursing under his breath.

“Well..well..well, look who’s where. Aren’t you the infamous Boo Seungkwan- stop covering your face with a tissue, Seungkwan. I already saw you.” Seokmin’s loud voice makes Vernon sits right up on his chair frantically looking around the café. He sighs in relieve smiling when the person he is looking for turns around and gives half-hearted wave. His smile is faded when he remembered his appearance right now. He takes out his phone using it as a mirror as he checks his bed hair. Vernon then checks his outfit and blaming his lazy for not changing his outfit before going to the café. Well, no one told him that he will meet his ultimate crush in a café he never went before and at 7 in the morning. He wears sweatpants, an over-sized t-shirt which he wore to sleep last night, a red hoodie and a pair of freaking slippers. His heart sinks a little seeing Seungkwan walks up to them.

. He looks fluffy with his pink jacket making Vernon has to hold his urge to give him a bone-crushing hug. Vernon keeps his cool by smiling warmly at the fluffy boy who’s sitting in front of him. The boy unconsciously returns the smile which makes Vernon caught off guard. He feels his cheeks getting warmer.

“I don’t know that I’ll meet you here, Seungkwan.” Seokmin pats the boys tousle brown hair.

“Me neither, hyung. I-”

“Seungkwannie~ oh, there you are. Why are you not sitting on your usual pla-” Soonyoung comes up with a slice of strawberry shortcake and a cup of hot chocolate. He immediately hugs his best friend or self-proclaimed brother as soon as their eyes meet.

“Lee Seokmin my man! Oh, here’s your cake, Kwannie. Seokmin, I thought- Oh, so you’re the English man Seokmin talked about?” Soonyoung is jumping excitedly while still side hugging Seokmin.

“Uhm..yeah?”

“Great! Come on, I’m extremely needing your help…like right now!” Soonyoung grabs Vernon’s wrist and drags him out of the café.

“What was that?” Seungkwan slices the cake with a little spoon before sipping his hot chocolate. Seokmin laughs a little then sits on Vernon’s chair.

“Soon wants to write something cool in English on his board. I can’t help but Vernon can, so yeah, you saw the rest.”

“Hmm…okay, real question.” Seungkwan puts down the spoon then asks, “You know Soonyoung hyung?”

“Yeah. Well, practically, we are roommate.” Seungkwan gasps but Seokmin gives more explanation before the pink jacket boy can ask more. “Since a year ago actually…and I often come here in the morning. Now, your turn.”

“Ehmm…I…me and my friends usually hang out here after school…and I pretty much already here since day one.”

“That’s why we never met before.”

“Yeah, but the world is small so eventually in some point we will bump at each other anyway.”

“Correction, this city is small.” Seungkwan nods smiling before eats his cake again. Ten minutes later, Vernon and Soonyoung get in the café again with Soonyoung is covered with pink and blue chalk dust. Seokmin goes to the kitchen following Soonyoung talking about stupid stuff because they’re laughing loudly afterward. Vernon sits besides Seungkwan while adjusting his hoodie. He suddenly feels underdressed sitting besides Seungkwan. Seungkwan glances, the slippers catch his attention.

“Quite outfit you have there.” Seungkwan snickers at Vernon’s blushing face

“I was not ready, okay? I mean, I was still sleeping when Seokmin hyung decided to drag me here.”

“You were not up at 7?” Seungkwan gives his judging gaze.

“I-I’m not a morning person…and I pulled all nighters for the past f-few days…” Vernon looks around but Seungkwan. What the hell! Why did I stutter?

“You shouldn’t” Seungkwan stirs the hot chocolate absentmindedly.

“What?”

“You shouldn’t. That’s not good for your health.” Seungkwan mutters quietly.

“Thank you.” He smiles looking at the cute boy besides him.

“For what?”

“Well…I mean, you care…for…my health?” that comes out like a question. Seungkwan’s ears are red by the sudden realization.

“I-I don’t…No, I mean- of course I do. But, it’s for the project. Yes, you can’t be sick for the project.” Seungkwan gulps his not-so-hot-anymore chocolate.

“Hmm…you’re right, for the project.” Vernon smiles bitterly. There is an awkward moment between them for few minutes before Vernon decides to at least say something. He eyes a car key and a wallet besides the cup.

“You drive?”

“Yes. You? Ah, you came here with Seokmin hyung.”

“Nah, my apartment is like three blocks from here. We walked here.”

“Your apartment is near from this café?” Seungkwan looks at him in disbelief. How come he never met Vernon before? They were literally passing by each other after all this time.

“Yeah, do you still remember Minghao hyung, the Chinese tutor? We are roommate.” Seungkwan responds with a nod. Vernon changes the topic again when seeing the half eaten strawberry shortcake.

“I thought you hate strawberries. You said that they’re too bitter for your taste.”

“I used to hate them but someone forced me to eat a bucket of strawberries as a dare few years ago.” Seungkwan sighs loudly before stands up gathering his stuff. Vernon watches him with questioning look.

“Look, Vernon. I can’t meet you outside work. I’m sorry.” But Vernon quickly grabs his wrist stopping Seungkwan’s steps.

“I- I understand. You don’t have to apologize though. It’s me after all.” Vernon gently lets go Seungkwan’s hand. “But, we’re still up for the meeting, right? Don’t worry, there will be others too.”

Seungkwan nods and says a quiet ‘See you later’ before goes out of the café leaving Vernon on the empty café by himself.

____________

 

AN: a progress…I guess? I love the idea of Seungkwan in pink. Also, platonic best friend SeokSoon!!!
.
And,
I'm so sorry...because I'm gonna be insanely busy this month, dealing with school stuff :(
So, I'm gonna pause this story for about a month (?)
.
I'll come back! I promise~
Thanks for reading :)