Chapter 10: Let's meet again

Sour Candy

Unknown number

Good morning, Seungkwan. Next meeting will be in the community building. ------ Street No.198. Tomorrow 7 p.m. - Hansol’

It’s been a week. Seungkwan kept checking his phone for the past week, don’t know who he was he waiting for. Seokmin hyung told him last week that they would contact him again for the next meeting next week. Well, he wasn’t lying. Seungkwan reads the text again and smiles bitterly feeling a little bit uncomfortable. He called him Seungkwan. Vernon called him Seungkwan. Back then, he only called him that when he was angry, upset or sulking. Now, Vernon isn’t angry or upset or even sulking based on this text. He sounds like a stranger though which makes him uncomfortable when he knows that he shouldn’t feel that way. Seungkwan himself who was the first to put up a wall between them when they met in the school last week

Seungkwan tosses his phone to the bed after types a quick reply and goes back to his lesson plan but his mind can’t be occupied to the lesson plan in front of him now. He looks at a brown box wrapped by a purple ribbon and sighs. It feels weird. He doesn’t feel angry anymore nor sad when he thinks of Vernon. And he doesn’t know how to do about that. He doesn’t feel empty either. Seungkwan thinks that it’s good, at least for now. He has a big project coming up and he absolutely doesn’t have time thinking about anything besides the project. He shakes his head and comes back to the file. After few minutes editing audio for his listening class, he takes his phone to call someone.

Hello, Josh?”

 

 

 

It’s okay, right hyung?” Vernon clutches his phone.

What do you mean?” Seokmin stops typing. They are in the staff room in the middle of finishing a syllabus for the project.

I just texted him.”

Him?’ Mingyu peers up giving his laptop to proofread the proposal he’s been working on.

Him, Seungkwan.”

Ah, Boo Seungkwan the representative of the school? What’s wrong with that?” Wonwoo pushes his glasses on.

Yes, I just texted Boo Seungkwan.” Vernon looks at his hyung panic his in eyes.

Okay? And then? I mean I told you to text him about the meeting. Hell. I don’t get it, Vernon.” Seokmin laughs at his junior unclear intention.

Well, I-” His phone goes off, a text just arrived. He quickly opens the messaging apps and smiling widely giggling like a little girl. He goes out of the staff room humming a song leaving the hyungs who don’t know what’s going on with him.

Can someone tell me what the hell was that? Just five minutes ago he can’t stop talking about what greeting he should use and now he is smiling like a mad man.” Minghao who keeps silent since morning finally speak up.

Don’t look at me. I’m clueless just like you guys.” Seokmin raises both his hands when he notices that the rest of the guys looking for an answer from him.

Vernon can’t help but smile. After reading the replied text from Seungkwan, a sudden relieve feeling splash his body. It’s been a long time since he got a text from Seungkwan, reading Seungkwan’s name on his messaging apps makes him feel giddy. Even though the reply only ‘Okay, thanks.’ it still means a lot to him.

After few minutes smiling, the reality suddenly hits him. He sighs thinking that he was the one who feels this way and the other boy may not feel anything whatsoever. Seungkwan must be receiving tons of texts like that before and he replied them the same way he replied to Vernon. What he was thinking? He feels like a pure idiot right now. He was all alone on this track, Seungkwan is not with him anymore. Is he going to fight it back alone? He really wants to have a real conversation with Seungkwan, but when? With the project is coming up around the corner, he is pretty damn sure that it won’t be a good idea to talk about it sooner. Seungkwan is the representative of the school they’ve been trying to work with. There is no way he’ll ruin their project which already planned since a year ago.

But what if Seungkwan thought that Vernon doesn’t have feeling anymore to him? and deciding it’s time for Seungkwan to move on? Maybe he should some interest on Seungkwan, flirting here and there. But what if he thought that Vernon is a total jerk because he acts like there’s nothing happened forgetting all of misunderstanding between them even has the nerve to flirt him? Will he hate Vernon even more? That’s the last thing Vernon wants to be happened. Maybe he should act nonchalant trying to be subtle. But what if he’ll be too late and Seungkwan finally has someone in his life in the process? He bangs his head on the wall behind him grunting because of the sore feeling on his back head.

You should do it harder so you can completely faint. It’ll make everything easier.” Minghao sits beside him sipping his hot black coffee. They are in the front of the course building sitting in the bench near the gate. Vernon flinches a little due to surprised.

When did you walk out of the building? I didn’t see you passing the gate.”

I have my way.”

Did you just jump from the building again? It’s 5 meters from the ground, hyung. You could’ve hu-”

Whatever. I’m sitting here wasting my precious time not to hear your ranting. What’s up with you though?”

Nothing.”

Yeah, nothing that makes you banging your head against the concrete wall.” Vernon scoffs and Minghao gives him the look.

What? So you can give me one of your ty advices?” Vernon sits resting his back on the wall.

It still counts as an advice.”

I’m okay, hyung. Just a little bit fed up with the project things.” Vernon lies feeling itchy on his tongue for lying. He doesn’t really feel to tell other people about his pathetic love life. At least not for now.

Well, don’t over think too much. You’ll hurt your brain.” Minghao laughs hearing an offended ‘Hey’ from Vernon. “We’re in this together as a team. You are the leader but we’re working this together since the very beginning. So don’t put all of the burden to yourself. It’s not healthy, man.”

Thanks, hyung. That’s a good advice by the way. And talking about healthy, is that your ninth coffee for today?”

When did the last time you eat vegetable? Or fruit?” Minghao glances at him sipping his coffee.

Touché.”

 

 

 

The day past so fast, too fast for Seungkwan’s liking. He doesn’t know why he feels nervous thinking about the meeting. It’s not like a very first meeting he’s been ever had. He’s been attending tons of meetings like this . Maybe it’s not about the meeting but more likely about the particular someone who’ll be in the meeting. His hands are cold, he can’t make his legs stay still and he keeps reading whatever in the coursebook for the past 15 minutes. He sighs putting his hand on his chest to normalize his beating heart. ‘I shouldn’t feel nervous. He is just a guy who will be working with me for the goddamn project. It’s not like only both of us who will attend the meeting. There are plenty of them and I’m not gonna be the only person he’ll talk to and vice versa. Right?’

Yeah, you’re right.” Jeonghan answers Seungkwan’s monolog that apparently he said it clearly.

Did I say that out loud?” Seungkwan looks up seeing Jeonghan and Jihoon standing in front of his desk. They already have their bag on and ready to go home.

Yeah. It feels like a déjà vu though. You said the exact same thing when you had a project group together for Sociology class with Vernon.” Jihoon can’t hide his amusement.

I did? How do even you remember?”

Well, maybe because you were mumbling that mantra for days after you found out that Vernon was in your group.” Jeonghan says patting Seungkwan’s head.

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!” Seungkwan screams on top of his lung. So unlikely for him because he always stays composed on the school never showing his emotion in front of his coworkers or even his students. He buries his head on his bag scratching his head.

Wow, I didn’t see that coming.” Jihoon is completely taken aback taking a few steps behind.

Are you okay, Seungkwan?” Joshua stands behind Seungkwan looking genuinely concern.

I’m fine, Josh. I’ll be ready in a minute.” Seungkwan sits up straight and starts to pack of his stuff.

Okay, then. I’ll wait outside.” Joshua smiles and goes out of the teacher’s office.

Seungkwan, you know what? This is just a friendly advice but maybe you can give him a chance and date him. He is completely whipped and doesn’t even bother to hide it.” Jeonghan looks at Joshua’s direction.

Him? Who? You mean Joshua? Jisoo hyung? I’ve told you many times, hyung. He does not have a crush on me. He is just being a nice friend. That’s all, nothing more like your unrealistic love story.” Seungkwan closes his bag standing up from his chair. Jeonghan only gives him a ‘seriously-why-are-you-so-dense-?’ look. But Seungkwan doesn’t really pay attention to his hyungs.

Besides, I don’t have any interest on having romantic relationship again.” Seungkwan turns around facing up his hyungs holding his head up.

Yeah, except for a guy who will meet you on the meeting.” Jeonghan scoffs

Not to mention, that guy making you nervous and scream just two minutes ago.” Jihoon smirks.

Seungkwan rolls his eyes and walks out from them not in the mood to give his ‘caring’ hyungs a decent comeback. He will deal with that later. After the meeting.

___________

AN: I can’t really make the story moving fast. But basically I’ll write when it involves around Seungkwan and Vernon.

As you can see, Seungkwan doesn’t really hate the idea of seeing Vernon again and Vernon doesn’t really feel scared seeing Seungkwan again. That’s some progress huh? Right? Or not?

by the way, you can hit me up on instagram @luna.verkwan

I post verkwan fanart :)