When You Can't Sleep At Night

Snapshots

Tonight was the same as every night for the past month. And Youngjun didn't think he could bear it any longer. Lying beside him, a beautiful young woman lay facing away from him, his only view was her long auburn hair. Her body shook gently with quiet sobs she thought he couldn't hear. It was always like this. Nana would wait until Youngjun fell asleep and then let out all of her held in emotions through quiet sobs in the dead of night.

And Youngjun didn't know why.

Every morning, when they woke, she greeted him with a gentle kiss on the nose and a bright smile. Then the two would continue about their days and she would act like the same bubbly Nana he knew. But did he really know?

By chance, one night he woke and heard Nana's quiet sobs. She was facing away from him then as well. When he moved to wrap his arm around her waist, she immediately froze. Not wanting to frighten her, Youngjun pretended to be asleep and his in his subconscious, just wanted to cuddle with his beautiful girlfriend.

After that night, it was then he started to notice the shadows under her eyes she covered with makeup as well as her slightly nasally voice probably due to her crying when she greeted him in the morning. He also realized that Nana's change in behavior. She acted more distant towards him and he noted the way she began to lounge around the house. It was tiring for her to leave the house nowadays other than for work. She said she just felt like she didn't have the energy.

There was obviously something going on that she wasn't telling him about, but he trusted her. After what they had been through together, he knew Nana would come to him when she was ready. And if she was struggling with that, he would give her a gentle nudge in his direction.

Until then, he wanted to do something to help brighten her mood. So that Saturday morning, he woke up an hour and a half earlier, slowly getting out of bed to make sure Nana didn't wake and that she got plenty of rest. He moved a pillow next to her to trick her subconscious into thinking he was still in bed.

Quietly, he went downstairs and began to make breakfast just the way she liked. With pancakes, banana slices, and chocolate chips, he created  Rilakumma bears. He chuckled to himself at his artwork. Nana always did love cute things. After that, he began to cook bacon and sunny-side-ups. He even prepared a cup of warm vanilla chai tea to help wake her up.

As Youngjun set the table, quiet footsteps padded down the stairs.

"I was wondering why you weren't in bed when I woke up..." she said in a tired voice as she walked towards Youngjun.

He stretched his arms out, beckoning her for a hug. "I thought I would cook breakfast today. Turns out I'm pretty good at it."

She laughed softly and wrapped her arms around Youngjun's waist. "Thank you. This makes me really happy," she said with a genuine smile on her face. Not the "bubbly Nana" smile he had been seeing all the time recently.

Youngjun leaned down and gave her a light peck on the lips as a 'good morning' kiss. Nana rested her head on his shoulder and planted butterfly kisses down his neck and to his shoulder.

With a light blush, he led her to the table where they both began to eat the delicious breakfast Youngjun prepared for them. 

After breakfast, Youngjun took the dishes to the sink and began to wash them. The sound of porcelain shattering made him stop and turn to look behind him. Nana was kneeling on the floor picking up the shattered remains of her mug, pieces scattered in a puddle of her tea.

"Are you alright?" he asked concerned as he knelt down to help take the pieces from her hands.

She averted his gaze. "I just felt a little dizzy all of a sudden... That's all..."

Youngjun threw away the pieces and lifted Nana up bridal style. "If you're not feeling well, you should rest. I'll finish cleaning up here." He laid her on the couch and turned the channel to her favorite show. When he felt that she was comfortable enough, he went back to the kitchen to finish cleaning up.

And so they went about their day and Youngjun observed her from afar. Throughout the day, she seemed to be caught in a daze. Her feet dragged whenever she would wander around. Occasionally, she would sit down on the couch and read a book. But even that didn't hold her attention long. Her gaze would move from the page in front of her to the window where she looked outside longingly.

As the hours ticked by, night began to fall. Their room was dark, illuminated by the light of the moon. He closed his eyes and slowed his breathing, pretending to be asleep as he waited for Nana to believe him. But somewhere along the lines, he did end up falling asleep. And it was around midnight he woke with a start when he heard the bed sheets shuffle.

He pushed himself up and looked towards where Nana slept. Nana was sitting up on the bed, her legs crossed, still facing away from him. He could tell she had been crying and she didn't bother to hide her sniffles tonight.

"Nana..." he whispered softly as he her arm gently. She didn't respond.

"Jinah..." he tried again, this time using her real name. "Please look at me..."

Slowly, she turned her head, cheeks stained with tears illuminated by pale moonlight. Placing a hand on her cheek, he used his thumb to wipe them away.

"Jinah, let's talk... What's been going on with you..." Youngjun gently her cheek with his thumb.

Nana pulled her knees into his chest and turned her head away from him. "You wouldn't... understand..."

Youngjun frowned slightly and took her hands into his. "Jinah, look at me," he said sternly. She faced towards him with swollen eyes.

"Jinah, I know I'm not perfect... And I don't understand a lot of things... But I'll never get the chance to try and understand if you don't give that chance... Jinah, I love you. And it hurts me to see you suffer all alone. I want to be here for you as much as possible. So please... Will you let me?"

More tears ran down her face as she gave him a small nod. "I'll try..." she said, barely above a whisper.

They shared a gentle kiss and Youngjun pulled her in for a tight hug.

"Youngjun?" she asked softly. He pulled away from the hug to look at his girlfriend. "Will you play guitar for me?"

Youngjun chuckled and got off the bed to pick up the acoustic guitar in the corner of the room while Nana laid back down on the bed.

"I'll play you a song from now on when you can't sleep at night," he vowed as he sat cross-legged on the bed. Nana smiled and watched Youngjun gentle plucking at the strings, filling the room with a soft, bittersweet melody. Soon her eyes began to droop and she fell asleep to the sound of his guitar.

Once she was asleep, Youngjun set his guitar against the side table and curled up next to Nana, her head hidden in the nape of his neck. He wrapped his arms around her tight while her hand gently pressed against his chest. This was the first time in a month that they slept facing each other.