Fortune cookie

Cookie Crumbs

Minghao puffs out his cheeks, eyes glaring daggers as Soonyoung drags Junhui to sit next to him leaving him paired with a hyper Seokmin. Minghao isn't even friends with the aspiring vetrenarian, he just came along because Junhui had practically begged him on the phone and Minghao—much to his confusion—can't seem to deny his best-friend anything. Minghao deflates a little as Seokmin slides into the booth but perks right back up when he realizes it was Junghui sitting in front of him and not Soonyoung. Not that he didn't love his friend but the blonde always talk too fast for him to actually understand anything. It was like a puppy had gotten a bottle filled with adderall.

 

“What do you losers want,” a familiar voice asks but Minghao can't quite place the voice with a face. Peeking from his menu, he stares awkwardly at short, pink haired student. “Oh, it's you two,” their waiter drawls with an annoyed frown, eyes deadlocked on a grinning Seokmin (but when is he not smiling) and happy Soonyoung.

 

“Jihoon, what a coincidence meeting you here,” Soonyoung sing-songs.

 

Hyung please.

 

The male, Jihoon, scrunches at the purposely off tune voice, “You know I work here. Why don't you eat at another restaurant for once?”

 

This time Seokmin chimes in, “Because we like you the most.”

 

“Whatever,” Jihoon flips his small notepad open, “I assume it's the usual for you two idiots. What do you want,” Jihoon inquires, eyes softening just a tad bit as Minghao blushes and fidgets under the intense gaze.

 

Junhui, he communicates with his eyes.

 

The brunette stares exasperatedly for a minute before he reaches over and takes the menu from his hands. Minghao ignores Seokmin's confused gaze as Junhui orders for the both of them in flawless Korean. Minghao is only slightly jealous.

 

Okay, a lot jealous.

 

“What was that about?”

 

Soonyoung laughs, “It's just their thing. They can read each others mind, it's pretty freaky sometimes.”

 

Minghao's about to correct them because it's not freaky, but Junhui nudges his foot and he breaks out into a smile when their eyes meet.

 

Seokmin whines, “They're doing it again.”

 

The food is pretty authentic, Minghao thinks as he places his chopsticks down. They've been eating for an hour now but all he can think about is how cute his best-friend looks while slurping noodles. It's only when Jihoon comes back and slaps the check down with a muttured “have a nice day” that's anything but sincere is his attention torn from Junhui.

 

“What's this,” he asks squinted eyes as he dangles some type of weird cookie by the plastic wrapping.

 

Soonyoung laughs, “It's a fortune cookie. It tells you your fortune.”

 

Fortune cookie? Minghao hums curiously because they definitely don't have these in China. He opens the plastic and eats the cookie in one go, his cheeks puffing out like a rabbit as he breaks the shell. It isn't too bad, it just tastes like a rather bland cookie with a hint of vanilla.

 

“Wait, Minghao, did you just shove the whole thing in your mouth?!” Seokmin shouts as if the Chinese boy had committed some great sin.

 

Junhui laughs.

 

“Minghao, there's a piece of paper in that,” Soonyoung sighs and oh, Minghao definitely feels the paper now. Taking the soaked piece of paper out with a disgusted look.

 

Swallowing the rest of the cookie, he unfolds the wrinkled paper, “Is this the fortune?”

 

Junhui nods, about to reach over to read it but Soonyoung quickly slaps his hand away, ignoring the brunette's dramatic gasp.

 

“Let Minghao read it,” Soonyoung says sternly but Minghao can't understand the last part of his sentence, the blonde starting to talk to fast again, but Junhui seems to understand and leans back against the booth with a pout.

 

“What does it say,” Seokmin questions as he invades Minghao's personal space. It seems like he gets it before Minghao does because he errupts in a fit of giggles—were these fortunes funny or something?

 

Minghao struggles to grasp some words, but as he re-read it for the fifth time he gets the whole meaning and goes pale.

 

The love of your life is right in front of you

 

There really is no room for interpretation because, if you ask Minghao, the meaning is quite blatant and in your face.

 

“What does the paper say,” Junhui and Soonyoung chorus.

 

Seokmin laughs obnoxiously.

 

Minghao kicks him in the shin and tears up the paper and smiles.

 

“It's blank.”

 

 

Minghao thinks he's going crazy, he can't stop thinking about his stupid fortune because is Junhui really his soul mate? It had to be true because why else would people call it a fortune cookie? He shakes his head fervently. Focus Minghao, you have a calculus test next. It's no use though, every time Minghao manages to focus on some god-awful equation his phone vibrates alerting to him to a text. Not many people text him and considering Soonyoung is in his dance class the only person left is Junhui.

 

“Oh god, another word problem? When am I going to ever need this...?”

 

his phone vibrates.

 

A few minutes later and another problem down Minghao groans.

 

“Solve for x when...wait, what?”

 

his phone almost vibrates off of the desk.

 

“It's only ten questions he said. Yeah right, there's like ten different parts for each question!”

 

This time his ring-tone starts to go off and Minghao thanks god for Junhui's annoying persistence because if he had to look at his book much longer he might just jump out of the window.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Let's grab something to eat.” Minghao can practically hear his best-friend's smile. Junhui always demands and never asks but it's not like Minghao would reject him. The thought doesn't even cross his mind.

 

“Alright, sounds like a date.”

 

Oh crap.

 

“Wait, what was tha-”

 

Minghao can't hang up fast enough.

 

 

Lazy Sundays are what Minghao lives for, especially after that stupid math test he probably bombed. He didn't realize it would be open-ended answers instead of multiple choice and he honestly rather die than do a test like that ever again. He's convinced the teacher is the devil reincarnate.

 

“Are you just gonna stay in my bed,” Junhui asks from his desk, hair mused and the top three buttons of his shirt unbottoned, not that he was looking.

 

“Maybe,” he murmurs, burrowing his head deeper into Junhui's pillow. He swears that his friend's bed is softer than his own despite the fact that they were the same kind. Junhui rolls his eyes and throws a slipper at his head. Good thing he has terrible aim.

 

“I have to go tutor a girl soon.”

 

Minghao hums, twisting the sheets around him to form a cocoon.

 

“She's pretty cute, actually. You think I might have a chance,” Junhui asks with a waggle of his brows complete with his summery laughter. For some reason Minghao's ears burn and he can't help but to roll his eyes.

 

“She already sounds out of your league.”

 

Junhui feigns being hurt but quickly laughs and jumps on him, “Awww, don't be so jealous, you know you're the only one for me,” he teases but Minghao can't help but to feel that friends don't tease each other like this. The fortune cookie had to be right, right?

 

Minghao squirms as fingers prod against his side.

 

“Alright, looks like I have to get going,” feeling the brunette slowly get off of him, Minghao places his hands down only to yelp as Junhui's face is just a few centimeters from his own, “I'll be back in an hour, Soonyoung is with Seokmin so we'll be alone today, let's watch a movie when I get back.”

 

Minghao turns over to face the wall, “Okay,” he sighs, trying to keep his cool, when in reality his stomach was housing at least housing one-hundred butterflies. How annoying.

 

 

“That fortune wasn't blank, was it.”

 

Minghao chokes on his milk and glares at a humorous looking Soonyoung.

 

“Did Seokmin tell you.”

 

Soonyoung leaned back in the cafateria chair, placing his arms obnoxiously behind his head. Minghao doesn't even know why he's friends with blonde sometimes. He supposes Soonyoung being Junhui's roommate has something to do with it but it was Minghao who stupidly clung to the blonde when Junhui wasn't around. Obviously that was a mistake. Minghao contemplates just getting up and leaving but after his bboy class his limbs might as well be replaced with noodles. It was a miracle he was even able to hold his chopsticks.

 

“So, Junhui, huh?”

 

Minghao chews the inside of his cheek, “Yeah...”

 

Putting the chair back down, Soonyoung stands up and starts to walk away but not before turning and giving him a thumbs up, “I give you my blessing,” he shouts before bouncing away.

 

“I need new friends.”

 

 

Somehow, by what can only be described as a miracle, Minghao forgets about Junhui being his soulmate because, in between midterm exams and late night cramming sessions, he can't think much about anything except eating and sleeping.

 

He rubs his eyes blearily, trying to memorize notes over the past month in just three days, and he can tell tonight will be one of those nights filled with coffee, monsters, and instant ramen. By the time he gets through half of his notes the library might as well be a ghost town. Minghao struggles to remain alert, repeating the same paragraph the fifth time because his body's starting to demand him to go to sleep. for his body though because he really needed an A on the test to pass with a B—a low B at that.

 

Minghao flips to another page of his notes, stretching his arms up only to brush something soft. Yelping, he bangs his knee against the table and turns his head, his heavy math book in hand ready to whack who ever snuck up on him.

 

Luckily he stops himself before his book can make contact with the startled person behind him. Oh wait, Minghao remember him.

 

“You're Jihoon.”


The short pink-haired man grunts in response, “Yeah, your boyfriend left this.”

 

Boyfriend? Minghao repeats the word in his head but doesn't bother to correct Jihoon. Instead, he stares at the ring in Jihoon's palm and automatically picks it up. It isn't anything special, really, just a simple silver band with gold accents on the border with Junhui's birthstone. Minghao remembers getting it for the brunette's birthday when they first met because he wanted to make a good impression. Now Junhui would be lucky if Minghao got him anything besides a cake. Which is better than what Soonyoung does which is throw confetti whenever he can.

 

“Oh, ah, thanks...”

 

“I would have given it to Soonyoung but I figured since you two were dating it would be better to give it to you,” Jihoon explains before saying goodbye.

 

Minghao stares at his notes then back at the ring before sighing. He kinda, sorta didn't mind.

 

 

Minghao mentions the encounter with Jihoon because he has a way with not letting things go. God help whoever wrongs him because he can hold grudges for days.

 

“Do you remember that Jihoon guy, short, pink hair.”
 

Junhui continues writing, not looking up from his paper, “The one at the restaurant?”

 

“Yeah, well, you left your ring and—get this—he thought he were dating,” Minghao laughs nervously, “weird, right..?”

 

Junhui stops writing but still doens't stare at his direction. Minghao holds his breath. In retrospect he should have just kept his mouth shut. Hindsight is 20/20. Tugging at his sleeves, Minghao finally looks up to see Junhui staring quizzically at him.

 

“You didn't know?”

 

“K-Know what?”
 

“People always say how we're a couple,” the brunette says just a tad bit too blasé for Mingao's taste.

 

“Y-you don't, ya' know, correct them?”

 

This time it was Junhui's turn to confuse him more than Minghao already was, “Why would I?”

 

“I, um, uhhh-”

 

“Who wants chicken?!”

 

Minghao has never been so happy at Soonyoung's awful timing.

 

 

“Ah, I can't take this anymore,” Minghao moans catching Junhui off guard. It's another, not so lazy, Sunday but it it feels just like another school day with all the material their teachers assigned them to read. Of course it was kinda Minghao's fault for procrastinating but he wasn't fast with reading Korean yet.

 

Junhui sighs, marking his spot and gently closing his newly assigned book, before giving his best friend a pitiful glance.

 

“What is it now, Minghao?”

 

Minghao grips his knees tightly, tongue darting out to his much too dry lips, “I- thefortunecookiewasn'tblank!” he said in one huge exhale.

 

Junhui raises a brow, a smirk tugging on his lips as he leans against the swivel chair, “You're starting to talk like Soonyoung now. C'mon, breath a little,” he finishes with a soft laugh.

 

Minghao really wishes he could just meld with the bedding or better yet just have his whole existencec erased.

 

“I- the fortune cookie, I mean, it wasn't, it wasn't b-blank...”

 

A tense, at least for Minghao, silence fills the air. Junhui stays silent, slowly rolling the seat so that they were facing each other now.

 

“I know that,” Minghao looks up at him in surprise, “Soonyoung.”

 

“Of course Soonyoung...”

 

“Is there something else you want to say, or perhaps ask,” Junhui prods, gently tangling their hands together and Minghao's brain short circuts for a minute. When, after a minute of no response, Junhui continues, “You know, you never asked me what my fortune said. It's a little insulting, really. Do you want to know what it said?”

 

Minghao nods his head anxiously.

 

“It said that I already met my soulmate.” Junhui twists their hands, his thumb going over and rubbing circles at Minghao's wrist, “So, is there something you want to say?

 

“I- I want you to be my boyfriend!”

 

Junhui breaks out into a huge smile, before his hands fly to mouth to—not so successfully—hide his giggles. “You know Minghao, we were already kind of dating.”

 

“Wait, really?”

 

“Yeah, but now that we're official that means I get to do this,” Junhui whispers as he inches closer to Minghao's increasingly red face. Their lips meet in playful kiss; Junhui nips the bottom of Minghao's lips earning a small yelp before pulling back, resting their foreheads together.

 

Oh.

 

“Oh my god, finally,” Soonyoung yells from somewhere behind him, “I have to tell Seokmin this!”

 

Minghao makes a distressed noise, burying his face in the crook of Junhui's neck as he best-friend and now boyfriends chuckles.

 

“Hey, everyone thought we were a couple anyways, now it's official.”

 

Minghao sighs and lifts up his head only for Junhui to steal a quick peck on the lips before going back to his desk. Minghao blushes and brings Junhui's covers over his head, a feeling of contentedness washes over him as he watches his boyfriend read, a smile on both of their lips.


A/N: All I want in life is to live out a fluffy fanfic story >_< I hope you guys liked it and sorry for the wait! The ending is kinda cheesy but that's how I like my fluff stories  and sometimes with so yeah please don't forget to subscribe/comment and have a great Junhao filled day :D

P.S.: Follow me on tumblr for 17 scenarios and general fangirl-ness :D