final.

Cookie Crisps vs Strawberry Pops

lmao I honestly don't know what this even is so there go 2700 words of total nonsense.

(It's been awfully hot here lately so the fact that the story is set in December is only my wishful thinking + winter is my favourite season heh). 

 


As soon as Hyukjae opened his eyes, he knew this was going to be a very good day.

The sun shined brightly through his bedroom window even though it was mid-December and there didn't even lay snow outside. Now, he did love having a white Christmas but the holy night was only in a week and until then he preferred non-slippery streets.

Stretching his arms above his head and feeling his spine crack satisfyingly, Hyukjae got out of bed and shuffled into the kitchen while sleepily ruffling his already messy bed hair. The other hand was busy scratching his growling stomach and with a swift look into his almost empty fridge, Hyukjae figured there needed to be some groceries shopping done.

He decided for a fast breakfast, grabbing three eggs and a tube of ketchup before heating up a pan. His planned fried eggs eventually turned into scrambled eggs because he messed up midway but it wasn't like they tasted any different.

Settling onto a chair with the frying pan in front of him, Hyukjae poured a good amount of ketchup onto his eggs and began shovelling them into his mouth with a still hot spatula, burning his tongue every now and then.

Once he was done, Hyukjae threw the used items onto the pile of dishes in the sink, concluding he could wash them later. Or maybe tomorrow.

After a quick shower and brushing his teeth, he slipped into a decent outfit for the day and styled his red hair into perfection. Set and ready to go with wallet and keys stuffed into the pocket of his winter coat, Hyukjae then left his homey apartment and walked down the squeaky metal stairs that led him directly onto the streets.

There wasn't all too much privacy within the neighbourhood but then again he barely was home since he spent most of his day within the office thanks to his-prick-of-a-boss that always sentenced him to after hours.

Releasing a relieved sigh as he stepped into the warmth of the store, Hyukjae took a cart and headed straight to the aisle of canned food. Clearly, he wasn't the cook best out there and being exhausted from work was reason enough for him not to cook. 

"Good morning, Sir!" a happy voice greeted him out of the blue, making him cringe and turn to stare at a petite woman with a huge grin plastered on her face. "Would you like to try some of our goat cheese? We also have gouda or blue cheese. It's free of course," she giggled and shoved a plate with reeking cheeses into his face, batting her eyelashes at him.

Hyukjae snorted inwardly. If that was her selling method she definitely got the wrong man this time.

"No, thank you" he rejected the offer politely, the woman's face dropping with disappointment.

"Oh. Well, have a nice day then," she practically snapped at him and Hyukjae prevented himself from rolling his eyes.

"Drama queen," he muttered under his breath and tamped further down the aisle.

Once he got all the food he needed, throwing groceries here and there into his cart (even some fruits and cleaning supplies, he wasn't that much of a wreck), he was about to pay as he walked past the shelve with cereal and halted abruptly.

ing 30% off.

Cheering within his head, Hyukjae rushed to where he exactly knew the strawberry pops were but much to his horror the shelve was empty.

"Dammit," he hissed and bit his lower lips, looking around.

And that was when he saw him.

Striking blue hair, chocolate brown orbs that twinkled beautifully, straight nose, charming smile with a childish hint thanks to his crooked teeth, well-built body, gorgeous legs.

In his cart—ten boxes of strawberry pops (yes, he counted).

Hyukjae felt his nostrils flare as he dashed to the next aisle, only to take a sharp turn and cut the other's way. The blue-haired male let out a shriek and gawked at him with startled eyes, immediately bowing.

"I'm sorry, I didn't look where I was going," he apologized coyly and if it wouldn't have been for him stealing all the strawberry pops, Hyukjae would be completely smitten by his innocence.

"I certainly knew where I was going and I ain't sorry," he replied curtly, glaring daggers at the shorter one.

"Pardon?" 

"You!" Hyukjae pointed a finger at him and then at his cart, Sammy the stupid seal imprinted on the box of his beloved cereal literally laughing at him. "You got something I want."

The guy gave him a weirded out look and eyed him from head to toe before his innocuous expression turned into a smug grin, catching Hyukjae off-guard.

"I got something you want, huh?" he snickered. "Well sorry to break it to you but I'm gonna buy these," he then added and Hyukjae wanted nothing more than to wipe his grin away.

"Not if I won't let you," he growled, the latter scoffing in disbelief and tugging a short strand of hair behind his ear. 

"Look Mr Rude-as-. I don't have time for your immature stunt so leave me alone, got it?" the blue-haired male snarled and with a scowl, he pulled his cart backwards and took another aisle to get away from him.

But Hyukjae wouldn't let him off that easily.

He followed the other who stopped several meters away from him and was about to reach out for a box of cookie crisp. The redhead sprinted up to the same shelve and roughly pushed his enemy away, using his arm to shovel all boxes into his cart.

"What the !?" the guy exclaimed.

Hyukjae swirled around and gasped dramatically, feigning a guilty expression.

"Whoopsy, didn't see you there," he chortled and send the latter a cocky smile before stalking off like a boss. 

As he reached the end of the aisle, however, a cart crashed right into his, making him stumble and almost fall.

"Yah!" he yelled.

"Whoopsy, didn't see you there" the blue-haired male sang and gave him a challenging glare.

"Don't copy me, you !" Hyukjae barked, the other cocking an eyebrow in bewilderment.

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, damn right! You're a !" Hyukjae childishly retorted.

"What the hell is your problem?" the guy fumed.

"My problem is that you stole all the strawberry pops!"

"I didn't steal anything! I'm about to pay for them, you dip!"

"You know how I meant that," the redhead groaned with a roll of his eyes.

"Even if I did, you're the one who took all the cookie crisps," the other shot back, crossing the arms over his chest and lifting his chin with a huff.

"You started this war!" Hyukjae bellowed.

"You attacked me first, I don't even know who you are!" the guy remarked.

"Gentlemen. Gentlemen, please," a calming voice spoke up, a tall and muscular man approaching them. "I'm the department manager Choi Siwon. May I help you with your disagreement?" he offered and the blue-haired male instantly turned to him with huge eyes.

"You have to call the police! This man is a ert!" he cried out, grabbing the man's arm and tugging on it like a lost child.

"Did you hurt your head? What are you saying?!" Hyukjae hissed when Choi Siwon furrowed his thick brows and gave him a judging stare. "It's not like that," he laughed and shook his head as of the other's statement was completely ridiculous—which it was. 

He was no ert. Really!

"Then how about you explain yourself, Sir?" Siwon questioned and Hyukjae sighed.

"It's actually really dumb..." the redhead admitted.

"Yes. Yes, it is," the blue-haired male agreed with hidden glee and Hyukjae narrowed his eyes while the little parasite still clung onto the taller one.

"You see, I love strawberry pops and since they're on sale I really wanted to buy some. But this guy snatched all boxes away so I asked him to share with me but he refused. Since I was left with nothing, I decided to get some cookie crisps instead. This guy stood in front of the shelve so I politely asked him to move over and somehow we came to this."

"You didn't ask me, you came up to me like a creep! And neither did you ask me politely to move over, you freaking tackled me out of the way!" the blue-haired male snapped and reached over to kick Hyukjae's shin who yelped in pain.

"No need to get violent, jerk!"

"Shut up, moron!"

"Gentlemen, could you please stop," Siwon gritted out and placed a hand on both their shoulders to keep them away from another, his patience wearing thin. "So you're saying you two fought over cereal?" he then inquired and raised his brows (seriously these brows) up to his hairline.

Hyukjae and the guy glimpsed awkwardly at each other before lowering their heads and nodding in shame. Choi Siwon rubbed his temple at that and released a tired sigh.

"Fine. How about a deal?" he began. "You Mr-"

"-Lee. Lee Hyukjae," the redhead quickly informed.

"You Mr Lee get half of the strawberry pops while Mr-"

"-Lee" the blue-haired male smirked at Hyukjae who pressed his lips into a thin line. "Lee Donghae."

"While Mr Lee gets half of the cookie crisps. Deal?" Siwon suggested with hopeful eyes.

Again the other two exchanged a few glances (and hissed curses), Donghae being the first to surrender with raised hands.

"Deal" he mumbled.

"Deal?" the department manager faced Hyukjae, his pressuring eyes daring him to say something else.

"Deal," the redhead defeated.

"Great, that's a happy ending then," Siwon chirped happily but as he swapped the boxes of cereal within his customers' carts, he used much more force than needed. "Now, may I lead you to the checkout, Sir?" he addressed Donghae only, probably to part them and prevent another fight from breaking out.

"But of course, Mr Choi" the blue-haired male smiled cheekily, hooking his arm with the taller ones. "Have a nice day, Mr Lee" he added, giving Hyukjae an overly sweet smile before dragging Siwon away from the war zone.

"Screw you," the redhead growled, glaring murderously at Donghae's retreating back while the latter raised his arm and flipped him the bird from afar.
 



Hyukjae cursed under his breath as he frantically rushed through the huge mall.

Tomorrow was Christmas Eve and he didn't prepare one single present.

His days had been packed full of work until the very last minute, even into the next mornings and the preparations for the planned family dinner simply slipped his mind. He knew he should have asked for more vacation days but then again his boss wouldn't be all too amused by that. 

And Kim Heechul surely wasn't the nicest person on earth. Especially when angered.

Heaving a sigh, Hyukjae accepted his dreadful fate and stepped into the toy section to buy a present for his nephew. He honestly had no idea what kids liked nowadays but he had to make sure it was nothing inappropriate or his sister would throw him out of the window.

Scanning the area with tons of toys, Hyukjae settled with a plushie. He couldn't do anything wrong with stuffed animals, right? 

He ambled along the shelve and tapped his chin in thought. Bears and bunnies were way too mainstream and boring so it had to be something unique, something- Oh yeah, that was it.

Reaching out for the toy, a hand suddenly appeared within his vision and grabbed it the exact moment he did. His hand brushed against another soft one and Hyukjae turned to his right only to gaze into a pair of familiar brown orbs.

A hiccup escaped from the thin lips that were a tad too close for comfort, making the redhead snap out of a brief trance and take a step backwards.

"Well, well, look who we have here," he commented playfully. "Lee Donghae, was it?"

The addressed male blinked three times before he broke into a smile, raising an amused eyebrow.

"Lee Hyukjae, eh?" he asked back and Hyukjae nodded to signal he got it right. "Wow, I knew you weren't behaving like an actual adult but I didn't know you were that immature," he teased, the other rolling his eyes and retreating his hand from the plushie.

"Shut your mouth, it's supposed to be a present."

"Oh really?" Donghae responded sarcastically. "So, are we going to fight over this?" he then questioned and Hyukjae felt his lips curl into a grin, remembering their first and last meeting.

"You know what? You can take it," he replied and the shorter one placed a hand over his heart as if he felt deeply honoured.

"Thank you very much," Donghae marvelled and took the toy to squeeze it against his chest.

"Wait, you're not going to offer it back to me?" Hyukjae panicked.

"Why would I?" the blue-haired male snorted.

"Because that's common sense!"

"Are you serious now?" Donghae asked dumbstruck.

"Obviously I am," the redhead pointed out. "I need something for my nephew after all." 

"Nephew?" the latter chuckled. "Isn't that a bit unfitting for a boy?"

"I don't know, you tell me," Hyukjae shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, it's not like boys don't like stuffed animals but really? A unicorn?" Donghae shook his head with laughter. "Do you have any secret intentions in wanting to give him this?"

"Are you high? Of course not!" the other said bewildered.

"Fine, whatever" Donghae waved him off. "How old is he then?" 

"Errr... six-ish?" Hyukjae unsurely replied.

"You don't even know his age?" the shorter one deadpanned.

"What? He's not my kid," the redhead stated matter-of-factly and Donghae could only facepalm.

"Christ, you're really clueless, aren't you?" he sighed. "Fine, let's say he's around six years old. Do you have any idea what he likes? TV shows for example?" 

"Well..." Hyukjae mused, scratching his head in thought. "I once babysitted him and we watched Star Wars together. He seemed to like that because he spent the following weeks running through the house, making weird noises and fighting against imaginary enemies. It drove his parents insane apparently," he snickered at the memory, eyeing Donghae who had a blank face. "What?"

"Nothing. I'm just trying to imagine how disturbed your future kids will turn out to be," the blue-haired male answered.

"Thinking about kids already? Aren't you going a little too fast there, Lee Donghae?" Hyukjae joked.

"Stop sputtering nonsense, you dimwit," the other rolled his eyes. "How about Lego? Does he play with that?"

"Yeah? I guess?" the latter nodded.

"Great. Then buy him something from Lego Star Wars and ta-da, Merry Christmas," Donghae suggested, Hyukjae chuckling had his unethical hand moves.

"Sounds like a plan," he agreed happily. "Then you do can take the plushie," he added and the other gave him a no--expression.

"That was my goal all along. My niece would strangle me to death if I wouldn't buy her this unicorn" Donghae remarked, smiling fondly. "Besides, I don't want to cause yet another scene with you," he continued and this time the redhead laughed loudly.

"I will never forget that day."

"I wish I could but I doubt it," Donghae stated honestly, snickering through a sigh. "But well, I still got a lot of things to do so..." 

"Bye?" Hyukjae offered and the shorter one gave him a nod.

"Yeah, bye," he said, staring at the redhead for a moment longer before he turned around and walked away.

Hyukjae stayed rooted in his place and waited until the blue-haired male paid for the plushie, only approaching the other when he headed to the exit of the toy section. Once he reached the latter, Hyukjae grabbed him by the arm and wordlessly pointed upwards. 

Donghae send him a puzzled look and glanced up to where a mistletoe dangled from the ceiling. 

"Not even in your dreams," he snorted, narrowing his eyes on the redhead.

"But you will go on a date with me, right?" Hyukjae questioned, knowingly grinning when Donghae's eyes widened and his cheeks heated up.

"Wh-wha-what?!"

"I will take that as a yes."