Mini-Skirts and Shorts of Sorts (I)

Mini-Skirts and Shorts of Sorts

The first member that I decided to write for is none other than Song MinHo of WINNER ^^. As for his leading lady, somehow, my thoughts lead me to believe Jeon Min-Ju (AKA 'Little Kwon BoA from K-Pop Star') from THE ARK will also be the perfect counterpart for him. Seriously, who wouldn't ship these two? Both are SO dorky off-stage, but their on-stage presence is also no joke (One, who exceeds in rap - the other in vocals AND in  dance). To be honest, I actually intended for this to be a one-shot, but seeing how I exceeded 6000 words with this (Lol, oh my God), I decided to break it up into 3 separate parts. 

Characters: Song Min-Ho (WINNER); Jeon Min-Ju (THE ARK)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Synopsis: On stage, Jeon Min-Ju is a powerful force to be reckoned with. But off-stage, especially when going on dates with her 'Some' boyfriend, she's excessively girly. And what caught Song MinHo off-guard was how god damn long his 'Some' girlfriends' legs were.


Jeon Min-Ju was in a small dilemma. With her hands folded neatly underneath her chin, she continued to mope at her desk with her computer monitor asleep, not realizing that all of her members were stealthily spying on her from her bedroom door and were overtly worried at their fuming leader.

On her bed before her laid two very, very different outfits.

One was an outfit that she had worn numerous times on stage and off-stage. A black-and-white patterned button-up blouse, paired nicely (According to her opinion, anyway) with dark-wash jeans and scuffed white sneakers that were turning an unappealing shade of grey, thanks to constant wear.

The second one was something entirely out of Min-Ju’s comfort zone, and something ‘borrowed’ from Halla’s closet.

There was nothing wrong with borrowing clothes from each other now, was there?

“That’s my skirt and my shir – MMPHF!” The second youngest squealed almost irritably. Thinking quickly, Yuna clamped her hand over Halla’s mouth to keep Min-Ju from glancing over.

Clearly, though, yes, there definitely was a problem.

Spinning around in her office chair, Min-Ju stood up and walked over to the second outfit. Running her hand down the smooth fabric of the skirt and lacy blouse, she let out a half-hearted sigh at the overwhelming amount of pink and sky-blue that penetrated her eyes.

UGH!”

Nobody had ever told her that the ‘Some’ phase in dating would be this hard, but I guess when your sort-of-but-not-really boyfriend is Song Min-Ho from WINNER, that could arouse some problems.

Perhaps it was the lack of self-confidence Min-Ju had in herself when contemplating about her romantic relationships, but the one question that she needed an answer to was simply why Song Min-Ho decided to ask her out for a date that faithful Friday afternoon exactly one month ago – and why he continued to do so after that.

It was something that Min-Ju failed to comprehend, even to this day. This was Song Min-Ho – the Song Min-Ho of YG Entertainment’s uprising, multitalented boy group, WINNER. And to her, Song Min-Ho deserved much more than a dirty-blonde haired girl who seemed to lack everything that he coveted in a woman.

The worst blow had come just five minutes ago, when she – out of pure curiosity and for the purposes of biological science research – decided to search up what his ideal type was. What returned was a picture of f(x)’s Choi Jin-Ri sunbaenim, or Sulli, according to her stage name.

‘I’m a fan of f(x)’s Sulli. She’s my ideal type, no matter what.’

Standing up, Min-Ju dragged her heavy feet towards the standing mirror that rested against the side of her closet.

The mirror – this mirror in particular – was her best friend sometimes, and her worst enemy most of the time. This was a natural part of womanhood though, wasn’t it? It’s natural to have good days, when you stare at your reflection and smile brightly at how your hair falls oh-so-perfectly against your small frame, and how that same smile managed to brighten up a room better than the fluorescent light bulb.

Today, though, Min-Ju was having an especially hard day on herself. This time, when she looked, she thought of Sulli.

Sulli, and her ability to pull off any type of hairstyle whilst most individuals (Namely her fans that she gained from debuting in THE ARK and from her appearance on K-Pop Star 3) only remembered her characteristic high ponytail.

Sulli, and her feminine facial features that allowed her to be cute, classy, sophisticated and chic all at once.

Sulli, Sulli, Sulli. Why is it always Sulli? Unconsciously, Min-Ju mumbled rather loudly, “I’m not Sulli.”

And that was when all of her members cracked simultaneously…

Stumbling into her bedroom in a pile, knocking over the mirror and smashing it into tiny shards and pieces all over the hardwood floor.

An awkward silence ensued.

“Well,” Jane began, chuckling nervously to herself. “At least this won’t be around to torment you any longer?”


After a furious group scolding (‘Jane, where did you learn to swear?’; ‘Euna, stop teaching your younger members swear words!’; ‘Did you know eavesdropping is a form of privacy invasion?’), and a half-hour long clean-up with vacuums, brooms and dust sweepers, Halla decided to break the silence first.

Unni, why are you comparing yourself to Sulli?”

Euna only face-palmed, shaking her head disappointedly. Leave it to the younger members to be painfully blunt.

Tugging onto the end of her t-shirt, Min-Ju only replied simply, “I’m not sure why Min-Ho oppa is interested in me. That’s all.”

Before the rest of her members could shout out their opinions of how very wrong she was, Min-Ju continued on to speak.  “Min-Ho oppas’ ideal type is Sulli-sunbaenim. When you think of Sulli, what do you think of?”

“To The Beautiful You!”

 “Songs with god-awfully written lyrics!”

“Choiza!”

Suffice to say, most of their answers were less than satisfactory.

Euna, however, pursed her lips in contemplation. “Sulli has always been known for her chic, puppy-looking face. She does plenty of make-up endorsements for ETUDE House, so you must be comparing yourself to her because you appear to lack in the femininity department.”

Min-Ju nodded in agreement. “That’s right. From debut until now, I have never worn a skirt. I put on the simplest of make-up, and our CF endorsements are either for role-playing games or for sporting goods. I’m afraid that if I don’t change my style now, Min-Ho oppa is going to lose his interest in me and…”

“I don’t want that.”

Snapping her fingers immediately, Halla bounced up and took hold of Min-Jus’ arm excitedly. “You just want a make-over, right? Don’t you worry about a single thing, unni! We’ll help you! Come on, let’s go shopping now!”

Min-Ju only raised a suspicious eyebrow. “You mean, you’ll help and I pay, right?”

“Whoever’s paying isn’t important, unni! We’ll get you fixed up right away!”


She’s late today was the first thought that ran through the young rappers’ head.  Leaning against the side of the peeling bench, Min-Ho only let out a regretful sigh as he noticed another young girl greet her boyfriend with a cheerful hug.

I really wish I had the confidence to take things to the next level with Min-Ju, too.

Min-Ho wasn’t exactly sure why people only looked at him through rumours. Was it because of his association with the prestigious YG Entertainment – known for their dirtied image of piling scandals? What was it that made his fellow colleagues avoid him – or, if they did ever talk, look at him with a certain type of alertness in their eyes?

Contrary to popular belief, Min-Ho wasn’t a rough, idiotic hooligan who only rapped about committing dirty deeds (As he had portrayed on Show Me the Money 4), and set extremely superficial standards for his ideal types.

He considered himself to be artistic, to be smart, and to have a creative way of thinking that would be appreciated by someone else who also shared the same sentiments.

Along came Jeon Min-Ju from THE ARK.

It wasn’t complicated to explain why he was attracted to her. No, it wasn’t because of her ‘Little Kwon BoA’ nickname (Although watching her dance was enough to send delightful tingles up his spine that spread to his fingertips). Nor was it because of her mesmerizing vocal colour that he would have to listen to every day to fall asleep.    

Cheesily, but simply put, Min-Ju captivated him with herself.

The caring sincerity in her warm brown eyes whenever she looked at her younger members and at him, how she sent him Kakao messages, reminding him to eat and giving her input on newly-written lyrics (Sending his own members into a frenzy of jealousy), and the way she carried herself with so much radiated self-confidence that was never artificial.  

The outer surface was all just an added bonus.

However, with that being said, Min-Ho knew that he was treading in dangerous waters. He was still a rookie, after all; as was she. Their fans would eat them up alive faster than a volcano everything green in its pathway.

The worst part of the ordeal? He was falling faster than he could control himself, and the feelings – although exhilarating – were frightening him from pursuing anything further with the girl. At least now, he was still able to see her and if questioned, he would use the excuse that they were only good friends behind cameras.

However, if – under the circumstance that dating was not considered scandals in South Korea, and that fans wouldn’t harass either party for stealing away their ‘oppa’ or ‘noona’ – he would have asked her to be his girlfriend much earlier in their budding relationship.         

Unconsciously, Min-Ho let a ghost of a smile graze his lips briefly at the idea of them freely dating. They would be named the ‘2Min Couple’, according to various tabloids – but hang on, if his mind was working properly, wasn’t SHINee the first group to invent that?

How about the Min-Squared Couple? That sounded like something out of a Mathematics textbook, but it had a nice, pleasant ring to it.

Min-Squared Couple – the aegyo couple that would be teased relentlessly on shows; the one couple that his rabid female fans and her possessive male fans wanted to be together because they suited each other; the pair that fans would recognize on the streets and scream, “Bbo-bbo-hae, bbo-bbo-hae!”. He liked that idea.   

Getting too wrapped up in his thoughts, Min-Ho never noticed the young girl that had finally arrived.

Min-Ju, evidently blushing with a pale-pink and lavender-purple cake box in her hands, walked unsteadily towards him in her flats.  “Oppa!” She greeted in a bubbly manner, frightening the living daylights out of him.

Aish, Min-Ju!” Min-Ho scolded playfully, giving her his full attention and returning her enthusiasm with a bright grin. “You scared me! Don’t do that next time, okay? Oppa was…what is this?”

Alright, Min-Ju – feign ignorance. If he noticed the change, then that means he takes notice of you! Taking Euna’s advice into consideration, Min-Ju only tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and laughed airily. “Oh, do you mean this?” She held up the box and pressed it into Min-Hos’ hands. “I brought you something from the new bakery that opened in Itaewon. I know how much you like chocolate and cheese, so chocolate cheesecake, it is!”

Clearly touched by her thoughtfulness, Min-Ho pinched her cheek gently. “You didn’t have to.” When his hand retreated, however, he noticed how his fingers were coated with a slimy light beige layer. She was wearing BB cream today?    

“Yeah,” Min-Ju agreed, her voice faltering slightly. “But I wanted to.”

“Ah, but what I meant was…” Hmm, how was he able to put this in a kind way without insulting her? “You’re so dressed up today!”

YES! SUCCESS! Min-Ju really needed to pay her members back with something special this time around. He noticed! But, how the hell am I supposed to respond to this? Euna didn’t teach me anything!

“Oh, um,” She stammered, feeling her heart speed up under Min-Hos’ scrutinizing gaze. “It’s an experiment.”

He raised a suspicious eyebrow. “For…?”

“It’s for our next comeback!” She blurted out, praying to the Gods of K-Pop Comebacks that THE ARK would be doing a 360 and perform a song that would put Oh My Girl to shame.

“Ah,” Nodding in understanding, Min-Ho slid his mask over his mouth and shot a melting eye-smile at her. “Shall we go?” 


A/N:  I hope you enjoyed Part I! c: OTL, I find myself shipping them even though they haven't even talked to each other yet. LOL.