Mudita

Vanilla skies

A soft chuckle leaves Junhui's lips as he carefully crouches beside Minghao's prone form. Laying, mushed between Minghao's bony arms, is a ram plushy Junhui distinctly remembers getting the boy for the Chinese new year. This would make such a cute picture (and maybe blackmail). Junhui's about to brush a strand of hair away from the teenager's eyes but a soft snore, followed by a rustling sound, brings him back to reality and why he's currently crouched next to his friend in the first place. His fingers hover a centimeter away from Minghao's shoulder and Junhui's heart stutters. In that moment of uncertainty, Junhui allows questions of doubt to filter through his brain.

 

Would Minghao hate him for waking him up so early? What if one of the other members wake up? Would Minghao even want to leave with him?

 

Junhui briefly closes his eyes. His heart is already pounding; Minghao isn't even awake. God, why was this so hard? He keeps berating himself while simultaneously trying to calm his trembling heart.

 

“Junhui?”

 

Glowing honey eyes snap open at the soft murmur. Junhui's heart suddenly leaps in his throat as he stares—all wide-eyed and adoring—at a sleep-dazed Minghao. Junhui forgets, for a split second, why he wanted Minghao in the first place, but he soon remembers. The moment his eager fingers grasp Minghao's outstretched hand, the one that was gently touching his wrist, all fears evaporate from his mind.

 

Minghao shoots the older male a confused look, “Junhui, it isn't time to wake up yet? Why are already dressed?”

 

“Run away with me,” Junhui breathes out with a hopeful smile. A look of shock overcomes Minghao's face, however; and it takes all of the Chinese idol's willpower not to break out into laughter. “Not forever. Just- just for a little while, okay?”

 

Minghao hums—Junhui takes it as a good sign—looking at their clasped hands.

 

“Okay.”

 

The smile Junhui shows is bright and elated, almost rivaling Seokmin's own grin. He hastily but carefully pulls Minghao up. The Chinese teen wobbles a bit, trying to steady himself as Junhui happily tugs the boy by his sleeve. It's hard navigating a room filled with sleeping boys sprawled everywhere, but somehow the duo manages to fumble into the hallway. Minghao slightly splutters as Junhui shoves shoes (were these even his shoes?) into his arms.

 

Junhui his head when Minghao grips his arm, “What?”

 

“I'm still in my pajamas,” the dancer hisses, a blush steadily crawling along his cheeks.

 

“Eh? But you're in sweatpants, those are fine,” Junhui points out in confusion, but he quickly realizes the source of Minghao's embarrassment when his eyes focus on the younger boy's top. His pajama top is thin and a little on the see-through side if the sun hits it just right, but the print is of cute chibi Oxen. The fact that the top was a light periwinkle didn't help.

 

Eventually Minghao and Junhui leave their apartment building with Junhui's jacket place securely around Minghao's torso. Hushed giggles spill from their lips as they make it down to the quiet street.

 

Junhui ruffles Minghao's head affectionately, letting his fingers bury themselves in the soft silver locks for a little longer than necessary; indulging himself. Junhui's heart beats a little faster as Minghao seems to chase his fleeing fingers. He probably didn't mean to do it, Junhui rationalizes, but still... Grasping Minghao's rough hands in his own, Junhui promptly starts to run as if his life depended on it.

 

“W-Where are we going,” Minghao half shouts, half laughs as he tries to catch up with fast pace set.

 

“Who knows,” Junhui laughs from behind his shoulder.

 

After a good ten minute run Junhui finally listens to his muscles and slows down to a walking speed. His chest heaves lightly as he adjusts the cap on his head. He glances at Minghao who seems to be fairing better than him, the dancer seems only slightly winded at the quick sprint.

 

If either Junhui or Minghao notice that they're still holding, neither of them say anything.

 

“Let's eat.”

 

Minghao hums, “What?”

 

Junhui stops to look the b-boy in the eye, a sly grin on his face, “Isn't it obvious? Something sweet!”

 

Junhui lets Minghao pick the small hole-in-the-wall restaurant; if it could be called that. Junhui's half surprised they found a place so quickly but ultimately relieved. It was so early in the not-quite-yet day that he doubts people would be roaming the streets aimlessly, but he didn't want to see and find out.

 

“How's the-ah, what's it called?”

 

Minghao chuckles, “Crepe,” he responds, picking up the thin pancake looking thing filled with cheese, tomato and pork-belly. “It's good.”

 

Junhui smiles at this and chews another piece of cake thoughtfully. He reaches over the vintage table and cuts a piece off of the dancer's crepe. Minghao just gives him an exasperated look but says nothing. A comfortable silence falls on them. Junhui stretches out his long legs, lightly poking Minghao with his foot.

 

“You're so annoying,” the Chinese boy grumbles as a kick sends his food sliding between his chopsticks. “Why do you get to wear a hat? What if a fan spots us,” he finishes in a whisper, his eyes knitting together.

 

“We ran out too fast.” Minghao gives the dancer a knowing and-whose-fault-is-that glance. “If it bugs you that much, here.”

 

Junhui reaches over the table once more and places his hat on Minghao's slightly curled hair.

 

“What about you?”

 

Junhui leans back and grins, “C'mon, lets get going.”

 

Minghao stares at his food, deciding between fallowing his friend or staying in the safety of the warm cafe-like restaurant. Eventually he decides to fallow Junhui outside, quickly going to the taller dancer's side.

 

“Look, waterspouts,” Junhui points out as they walk past some park. When Minghao first came to Korea he was surprised by how many parks were around, wanting to go to the park almost everyday when he was a trainee. He frowns knowing he won't be able to do that a lot anymore. Seeing his friend's crestfallen face, Junhui leads him by the hand, gently tugging and the two start crossing over onto the paved path. The duo watches in silent content as the waterspouts shoot jets of water up in waves. The pattern switches a few times and a light-bulb goes off in Junhui's head. Inching closer to Minghao, he pushes the boy forward into the stream of water.

 

“Ahh! Junhui!” Minghao screams, trying in vain to cover himself from the falling water. Of course it was just the teen's luck that all the spouts were going off with no end in sight.

 

“Just run,” Junhui guffaws, doubling over as he clutches his stomach.

 

Glaring, Minghao runs as fast as he can, but instead of going all the way out of the water's reach, he darts his hand out and drags Junhui in with him. Minghao commits his friend's chihuahua yelp to memory and vows to never let the boy live it down.

 

“It's cold!”

 

“I know,” Minghao laughs.


Flashbacks of going to Busan and swimming in the river runs on repeat in Junhui's mind. He back-hugs Minghao and twirls the unsuspecting boy until they're both dizzy and laughing.

 

“We're soaked.”

 

“Really, I hadn't noticed.”

 

Minghao scoffs.

 

“I blame you.”

 

The bench creaks under the twos combined weight. Minghao carelessly swings his water-soaked legs back and forth, head tilted slightly back as his eyes focus on the pastel coloured sky. Wisps of cream coloured clouds float lazily against the sherbert sky. Streaks of peach and dim gold stretch across the vanilla backdrop and it's kinda funny because Junhui's seen this sky hundreds of times but somehow seeing it with Minghao was like seeing it for the first time all over again. But the older boy can't help but find it a shame that he didn't get to show Minghao all the beautiful things he found while wandering the streets during Twilight hours. He's torn between asking Minghao to come with him again or just enjoy the moment they have now. When it comes to making decisions, Junhui's mind is always a rather fickle thing.

 

“You know,” Minghao starts, tearing his gaze away from the vibrant sky, “I had a lot of fun. We should do this more,” he admits with a shy smile.

 

Someone's heart skips a beat.

 

“Yeah, we will.”

 

It's a promise Junhui intends on keeping and Minghao knows that. Affection blooms in Junhui's chest as the boy directs a delicate smile his way. It's only when Minghao shudders that Junhui remembers that they're both soaked to the bone sitting in a cool not-quite-morning breeze.

 

He stands in front of the shaking boy and offers his hand.

 

“We should get back to the dorms.”

 

Minghao,finally managing to stop quivering, gratefully takes the hand and smiles.

 

“Yeah, let's go.”

 


A/N: I wrote this as an ambiguous relationship. It can either be friendship or romance. Also, I see Jun as being someone who really likes sweets but can't eat a lot because idols and their stupid diets bleh >.< I hope it was fluffy enough for you guys :D

     PS: Mudita is the pure joy you feel witnessing someone else's happiness; unadulterated by self-interest