The Runaway Groomsman

Runaway Groomsman

RuNaWaY

gRoOmSmAn

 

' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , '

 

Hyukjae was eating peacefully when something falls on his table. He choked on his burger as he realized that it was a pair of black leather shoes. “What..”

“Why did he marry that girl?!”

All of the people turned to look at his table.

Not really paying attention to the other, Hyukjae adjusted his meal to the other side of the table, silently regretting to eat in the fast food restaurant. He looked up, but his vision was suddenly blocked when something fell on his head. Hyukjae pulled the thing away in annoyance, only to find the ‘thing’ that blocked his vision to be a black coat. It was until he heard a loud cry that he actually stared at the figure sitting in front of him.

“Um, chicken sandwich?” he offered somewhat pathetically, having no idea what to do.

The stranger gave him a weird look. “It’s just.. I love him you know? I know that, for him, I’m just his friend! But for me he is the one! He’s perfect – kind, lovable, funny, smart.. name it! He had them all!”

“The only thing he does not have is feelings for you, isn’t it?”

Hyukjae sipped his Coke as he commented dryly; a hint of sarcasm and annoyance lacing his voice as he gives back the coat to its owner. A bit antsy from people’s stares, Hyukjae felt his appetite slowly losing. Add the fact that the man sitting with him had a ‘this-is-the-end-of-the-world’ look on his face that is making him pensive.

“Well..”

“So here you are, crying at my table, dirtying my food with your shoes and your coat.”

At least the man had the decency to look ashamed of what he did. “Sorry.”

Hyukjae just sighed. He gave up on trying to eat and decided to go for a take-out later. As he stared at the man crouching at the table, he realized something. “Wait, did you actually came straight from a wedding?!”

The guy finally looked at him and Hyukjae admits he is rather good looking. Pity he’s heartbroken. “I.. ran away from my best friend’s wedding.”

Ah. That explains the rather expensive looking tuxedo.

Another realization dawned into him. “You don’t mean.. oh my god! Don’t tell me.. you actually stood up when the priest said ‘Speak now or forever be silent’ part?!”

“Yeah..”

“Ha-“ Hyukjae covered his mouth to stop himself from laughing. And failed miserably.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!”

The stranger gave him a look like he was crazy.

Recovering from his outburst, Hyukjae wipes the tears from his eyes. “S-sorry I just..” and then he can’t help it anymore: he laughed out loud again. Now even the crew from the other side of the restaurant was giving him a look. “I can’t believe those things still happen! Moreover guys like you!”

Hyukjae cleared his throat because the guy in front of him is starting to look really offended. “I mean no offense. You look the kind of guy who can get women kneel just to spare one date.”

“That laugh was more than enough to offend me.” The stranger sighed. “I don’t like girls. I only like my best friend, remember?”

“.. Right, so you’re gay.”

“Yeah.”

Fantastic.”

Another minute of silence followed, and Hyukjae really can’t take the stares people were giving them anymore. He stood up and went to the counter, ordering a set of meal to bring home. Suddenly a hand made his way to get the things he ordered, and he turn around to see the stranger giving him an apologetic look.

“I’ll drive you home. Take it as my apology for what I did for earlier. I’m really sorry..”

Scenes of nasty things and countless questions of what may happen if he let some stranger accompany him bursts out in his head, but instead of rejecting the offer, Hyukjae gave the man a look instead. Weird, he should be panicking right now. Who the heck in their right mind will let some stranger take them home-

-but instead he mumbles unintelligently, “You have a car?”

The man gave him an adorable laugh-

-and Hyukjae gave in.

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

Donghae, to his surprise, was actually his neighbor.

“I go to office at 5 in the morning, so I won’t be surprised if we really don’t see each other.”

Hyukjae felt blank as the information tries to sink in his head. Really, two years of living in the same neighborhood but he didn’t even catch a single glance of this gorgeous guy? “You must be one hell of a workaholic.”

Donghae stares at the Happy Meal Hyukjae bought with a confused look. “You have a daughter?”

Hyukjae gave him a confused look as well. “Daughter?” he looks at the little box he was holding and chuckled. The theme for the current meal was fairies from the movie ‘Tinkerbell’. “No, it was for my son actually.”

“Why fairies though? I think I saw Avengers back there.”

“Well, you see my son has a crush. So he asked me to buy this.”

Donghae hummed in understanding. “What’s his name?”

“Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun.”

When they arrived at Hyukjae’s house half an hour later, they were surprised when a woman came running through the front door and bumping into Donghae, who in turn bowed as they apologize to each other.

“Sora! What happened? Why are you running?”

The woman turned to him with a murderous look, “Ask your stupid son, idiot!” and with that she ran away, bawling her eyes out.

Donghae nudged Hyukjae, bringing him back from his trance. The latter running into the house as Donghae followed behind. “Who is that?”

“My sister.”

“Why is she crying?”

Hyukjae gave him a somewhat panicking, but definitely, annoyed look.

“I’m afraid we are about to find out.”

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

Kyuhyun, to both of their horrors, did not only manage to turn the kitchen into a war zone, but also able to paint the living a room a grotesque combination of colors. It appears that Sora asked the kid to help her re-paint the kitchen, but ended up in utter failure as Kyuhyun set his hands on the paintbrush.

Hyukjae was busy emitting a dark aura towards the shrieking kid when Donghae started picking things up, effectively pulling Hyukjae out of his trance. “W-what are you doing? Let me clean that up!”

Donghae gave him a dazzling smile. “Nah. Consider it as payback for ruining your food and appetite earlier.”

“B-bu- you- car-!“

He shuts up when Donghae gave him another smile, although this time with a hint of venom.

Damn.

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

Kyuhyun was staring blankly at the two older males trying to clean up the ceiling that he just recently painted with different colors. That’s right, peasants, he thought as he smirked and crossed his arms. Clean that mess and grovel at my feet. Muhahahaha!

The child’s thoughts were interrupted when something hit him in the face. He picked the object and glared at his father, who was giving him a not-so-innocent look.

“That Happy Meal cost $50.”

“HEY! THAT’S A RIP-OFF AND YOU KNOW IT, MONKEY FACE!”

Hyukjae dismissed him coolly, and went back to helping the other guy – Donghae, was it?

Kyuhyun stared at the ceiling some more, congratulating himself mentally for making an exceptional masterpiece. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. It was easy using the rubber bands. The only hindrance is that meanie sister of his idiot father that was trying to stop him earlier. So he did the most kids would do and splashed her with paint.

The look on her face was totally priceless.

He grinned as he saw his father took a step back dangerously near the bucket with tap water they are using for cleaning.

A sudden idea popped up.

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

One second Hyukjae was busy pointing to Donghae where to clean up; the next he was falling down unceremoniously. He closed his eyes as he braced for the impact.

But nothing came.

Instead he felt a strong arm encircled on his back, stopping him from falling on the floor. He opened his eyes and gasped.

Donghae was giving him his usual prince-like smile and DAMMITITWASFREAKINGHANDSOMEHEWANTSTOMELTALREADY- Hyukjae almost pissed himself when he breathed in his ear, “Are you okay?”

Dear God.

Hyukjae felt himself flushed redder than an angry Jalapeno having its red days.

“Aw! Daddy is such an uke!

There was a peaceful silence.

And then with a shy laugh from Donghae and a guffaw from his son, Hyukjae burst out in anger.

“CHO KYUHYUN!!!”

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

Three years had passed since that day, and Hyukjae was now sitting in his office desk typing furiously. He deletes and changes several words, and sometimes deleting it all over. He sighed in frustration. Typing furiously once more, he didn’t notice the cup of coffee being placed beside his laptop. Nor did he notice the looming figure at his back.

“Hey.”

His love of life, Donghae, was there giving him his usual dazzling smile. They’ve been together since two years ago, when Hyukjae sadistically kicked his boyfriend in the face for destroying his laptop when he ask Hyukjae to be his boyfriend. Turns out, it was his son’s idea to surprise him.

Oh, he was surprised indeed.

Kyuhyun somehow took the initiative to hack his laptop (a 12 year old at that) and flood it with pictures of him and Donghae on their dates, mushy moments, etc. This idea was actually brought up by his crush, Sungmin. But things turned out for the worse when the tsundere Hyukjae­ chased them and destroying the laptop by Donghae diving into a fountain.

Really.

Hyukjae during this time learned that Donghae is in a high position in their company, and that Donghae likes to read love stories – which is Hyukjae’s forte since he’s a writer from a well-known publishing company. Though it didn’t help when his boyfriend found out that Hyukjae writes fanfictions about Kpop stars, too.

Donghae took Hyukjae’s spacing out moment to read what he’s writing. “Yunho kissed Jaejoong as if his life depended on it-“

Hyukaje snapped his attention to him and closed his laptop harshly. “W-WAIT! W-W-W-W-W-W-WHAT!???? WHAAA- DONGHAE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HER- MORE IMPORTANTLY, STOP READING MY WORKS!!!”

Donghae laughed at his flushed face. “I see you’re busy planning Yunho and Jaejoong’s honeymoon, hm?”

He smirked in triumph as Hyukjae – the normally bored, tsundere and sarcastic Hyukjae – started sputtering in his panic. “O-ofcourse I am! T-the readers are waiting from the ‘Office Romance Extra!’ H-Heechul sunbaenim is going to kill me if I didn’t finish it in two days!”

Hyukjae squealed when Donghae trapped him by his muscular, juicy, yummy biceps into the table. His work clearly forgotten as he stared at the most handsome man in the world.

“Feeling up for tonight, babe?”

Yunho and Jaejoong’s honeymoon could wait the up. Hyukjae’s hormones were screeching. “Ye.. AH NO!!! HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT MY WORK DONGHAE! OUT! OUT! OUT!”

Donghae was laughing all the way while he walked towards the door of his office. “Just make sure you finish that tomorrow, because it’s our anniversary and we will celebrate it in our bedroom, whether you’re finished or not.” The guy stopped when he got hold of the doorknob. “Or maybe.. little Hyukkie prefers doing it while writing instead?”

Hyukjae’s face was redder than that of an angry tomato.

“How of you.”

“SHADDAP!!!”

Needless to say, Donghae leaves the room with a bleeding nose and red mark in his face. He sits on one of the chairs and whined when people started laughing at him.

One worker commented, “Seems like Hyukjae is in beast mode again.”

Donghae only managed to soothe his poor, poor face. “You have no idea.”

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

Hyukjae indeed finished his work at one in the morning the next day. He stretched his arms and legs as he stood up, before doing a set of jumping jacks. He shakes his fingers as he stared at his finished work. He only need to print it out and submit to Heechul’s desk before he leaves.

“Okay. Phew. Gotta text hubby first.” He opens his phone and texted Donghae.

30 minutes after he texted him, Donghae called Hyukjae. “Sorry, did I wake you up?”

He heard him laugh a little. “Are you kidding? I’m waiting for you to text or call me or something.”

“You mean you haven’t slept yet?!”

“How could I sleep when my boyfriend is busy doing his work that he can’t even have a wink of sleep?”

Okay. By this time Hyukjae was pretty sure his cheeks has lives of their own. He’s blushing too much these days. Why do you need to be so sweet to me, idiot?

“Why not?”

“What?”

“What?”

“What? What ‘what?’?”

“What,” he sighed. “Hyukjae, I’m being sweet because you’re my boyfriend and I love you so much. Okay?”

“…”

“Hm?”

“I.. love y-“ he was cut off when Donghae promptly hangs up. “Wait what? Did he fell asleep already?” Hyukjae pouted as he stared at his phone in disappointment. He placed his phone back in his table and started printing his finished work. He sighed and decided he’ll get some coffee when it magically appeared in front of him.

He stared.

And looked up to find Donghae smiling at him.

Hyukjae had his mouth gaping like a fish.

“Did someone turn all the heater here? It’s hot.”

Donghae laughed and gave him a kiss. “I want to hear you say it when I’m here not over the phone.”

“What are y-“ Oh. Hyukjae giggled like a freaking little girl and decided he would slap and crash his face on the wall later for acting like such a.. high school girl. “I love you too, Donghae.” He said sweetly and kissed Donghae back.

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

Hyukjae screamed when he opens his eyes and everything was dark. “Donghae?” he called but no one answered. He crawled on the floor towards the switch, and when the light flooded the room, he gasped. “He really did this?”

Numerous strings with their pictures as a couple were hanging around the room. He laugh, smiled and cooed at every picture he sees. At one point, Hyukjae found a note at his alarm clock reading 8 in the morning.

‘The morning is beautiful today, perfect for a romantic date don’t you think?’

Hyukjae started squealing.

‘Go take a bath and dress up.’ He finished in less than 10 minutes.

‘Follow the red string, hubby.’ He did as he was told, and found another note in the red string outside his room in the sala with a picture of them eating. He read the note. ‘I’m sure you remember this place, right? Well, off you go!’

Hyukjae did not waste another minute.

 

‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘ , ‘

 

He arrived at the fast food chain they first met three years ago.

Hyukjae sat in one corner and look around for Donghae. But when he didn’t find him, he decided to text him instead. ‘Donghae, where are you?’ He waited for minutes, but no reply from him. So, being the grumpy man that he was, Hyukjae ordered his meal without waiting for the other.

Hyukjae was eating peacefully when something falls on his table. He choked on his burger as he realized that it was a pair of black leather shoes. “What..” This scene is familiar..

“I’m really glad my best friend married someone else and I ran away from his wedding.”

Ah, there he was.

Donghae, in all of his handsome glory, was standing beside Hyukjae, arms crossed and smiling at him.

Hyukjae started laughing, and when Donghae sits beside him and hold his hand, he grins widely and offered:

“Chicken sandwich?”

 

' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , '

 

I'm giving you a rare chance to kick me in the face. This took too long to be posted and I'm really sorry. University had been hectic but, oh well. I'm graduating on April this year! So really, no regrets there. x3 Thank you all for waiting! I'll proofread this later (maybe). In the meantime, please enjoy this oneshot and don't forget to leave comments! I like them long. XD Btw, I actually decided to put up this plot before because of my love with Chicken sandwiches. Hahahhha! Oya, oya, see ya guys!