It's Complicated

Between Friends (Hiatus)

“Not even an apology Taemin. Not even a ‘Hey Jinki sorry about ing my boss on our anniversary.” 

Jinki knocked back the last of his rum and coke shakily as he recounted his latest break up with Jessica. Not that they had broken up that many times, five to be exact, but this time was different, there was a finality to it that he could feel in his bones. It had been a month and neither of them had reached out to each other. Not that he should, he was the one who was cheated on, but he expected something.

Any other time by day three he would be calling Jorge at the flower shop for Orchids and by day four they would calling out of work and cuddling all day.

Yet exactly 30 days later neither of them had made a move and it hurt, it hurt really badly. He watches as Taemin takes the glass from his hand, mumbling an “I know Hyung that’s what you said yesterday.”

Not caring if Jinki heard it or not, Taemin continued onto another patron while Jinki bore holes into the back of his head for leaving him empty handed. 

He really should have stopped drinking two rum and cokes ago, but he can’t help it, the alcohol numbed everything ever so slightly and he couldn’t help it if he got all sappy and story telly when he’s tipsy.

With his hands uncomfortably empty he made his way, swaying slightly, into the kitchen to see if he can guilt Jonghyun into making him something to eat. 

He’s hit with the aroma of grease when he entered making him regret going back there in the first place. He trips but catches himself.

Good no one was watching.

“I saw that you klutz.” 

A plate of fries is pushed in front of his face and he is told to sit and eat. 

“Taemin told me you were here.” Again. 

Jinki knows Jonghyun doesn’t say it because it would make him feel pathetic and he’s already half way there. He just stuffs his mouth with fries and avoids his eyes. 

He can tell Jonghyun is watching him, worrying about him, making sure he doesn’t crack. It makes him feel like a child and he hates that. 

“I’m fine Jonghyun, just needed to relax it’s been a long day. These are really good by the way.” He sounds so unconvincing it’s laughable, but the fries are really good. 

“You’re the worst liar on the planet hyung, probably the entire solar system.” 

Jinki wanted to say something sassy like, have you met everyone in the entire solar system, but Jonghyun had the power to take away his plate. He couldn’t risk it, these fries were infused with crack. Probably.

“And for the love of god, Taemin as much as he loves you, does not need to hear about Jessica again.”

Jinki felt bad about dumping this on his brother every night for the past week, he really did. Not only on Taemin though, on everyone and anyone who would listen, but it was like word vomit that wouldn’t stop.

“Four years we were together and the last thing she says to me is—" 

“Lock the door on the way out. I know Jinki, we all know.”

Jinki guesses by the hard eye roll he receives that the friend points he’s been collecting all these years have been spent and that he should just shut up and eat. 

“These are really good, you’re too good for this place.” Jonghyun just laughs and pushes him out the kitchen door. 

“It’s a good thing I own it huh?”


Jonghyun watches his drunken friend retreating back. He feels for Jinki, he really does but it’s been a month already and Jinki had to have known this would happen eventually, it was Jessica after all. Jonghyun had actually dated her back in high school before he had even met Jinki, and they had broken up for the same reason.

Unlike Jinki though he had moved on quickly when he’d met Key, but he guessed he had been lucky then. He had tried to warn Jinki but that only resulted in them not speaking for the following two months. Sam and Key ended up having to lock them in the bedroom until they worked it out. 

He was itching to tell Jinki that he told him so but that would have to wait because as much of an he was to other people, he actually cared about his friends. He promised himself that he would rub it in Jinki’s face at the six month mark at least. 

“Jonghyun, Jinki is reaching for bottles again.” A voice came from the alley door.

Jonghyun rolled his eyes and told the waiter to handle it while he made a phone call. He locked himself in his office and searched for his cell under the piles of paper work and bills, finding it next to his past due credit card bill. He pressed the call button and waited for Sam to pick up.

“Park.” 

Jonghyun scoffed, did she always have to be in work mode.

“Hey Sam, it’s Jonghyun. How are you?” 

“I know it’s you Jjong, I’m on a case. What’s up?” 

Great, so he caught her at a bad time.

“It’s Jinki.” 

Jonghyun could almost hear the suppressed groan she held in and pulled the phone away from his ear waiting for her to start her tirade. She would ask why he had even let him in the bar instead of sending him straight home, and then somehow that would turn into a lecture on calling her while she was working, as if he was supposed to know. She and Key had that naggy thing in common. 

To his surprise  all he heard was a tired sigh from the other line. He picked up the phone just in time to hear say that she’d be there in ten minutes.

He ended the call with a heavy sigh, looking at the pile of debt before him. He headed back out to the kitchen and looked around. He hated that by the end of the next month it would all be gone.


Taemin had taken away the third tequila bottle that Jinki had gotten his hands on placed it behind him. His brother was getting out of control and he was starting to really worry about his mental health. Taemin wanted to say something to him, but how do you tell your flesh and blood that he’s acting like a big baby and to it up because we all warned him about that , you thick headed idiot!

But that might have been a bit harsh and Jinki was sensitive.

He was just tired of hearing about the break ups really. Most people that came here came to weep about their lost loves and Taemin’s job was to listen, well that and to sell as much alcohol as possible.

It made him wonder, what if all relationships were the same, always ending in heartache? 

His and Jinki’s parents were a prime example and Jinki’s track record wasn’t that great either. Jonghyun and Key were just made for each other so they didn’t count and Sam was married to her job. So what if it was the same for him? 

Sure he’s kissed guys and some girls, mostly out of peer pressure, but he’d never been in a relationship and at this rate he didn’t really welcome the idea. He didn’t want to turn into the alcohol stealing blubbering mess his brother was, it was slightly embarrassing. 

Jinki was inching forward to grab the last bottle left on that side when two men walked in sat at the bar. Two very handsome men at that and it took a minute to register that his brother has successfully pulled the bottle over the bar.

“For the love of… Jinki that’s just sour mix you idiot!” Taemin yanked the bottle from a pouting Jinki’s hand and placed it behind him as well. 

“Jinki hyung please sit still until I can call you a cab. Just, sit on your hands or something.” 

Taemin gave him his most stern look and turned to the men that had just walked in. They had been there before he noticed; couple nights ago when the Sox were playing. 

“What can I get you guys tonight?” 

One of them turned to him with a bright smile and Taemin thought he would pass out from the sudden lack of air.

“I’ll take a gin and tonic, and he’ll have a scotch on the rocks please.” 

Taemin just nodded and began making the drinks. He felt eyes on him and looked up to catch gin and tonic’s eye, they both looked away quickly. Taemin couldn’t really concentrate on what he was doing; he kept stealing glances at the man causing him to miss the glass for a second time.

For s sake! Get it together Taemin!  

“Here you go guys, should I open a tab?” Gin and tonic’s friend nodded and then he smiled back at Taemin. 

“Looks like we’re staying, I was hoping we would.”

Taemin smirked and opened a their tab. “Good.” He said as he walked away cathcing Gin and Tonic's wink.

Relationships weren't something he wanted but flings on the other hand he could do.


Sam ended the call with Jonghyun and looked around the crime scene. She would honestly rather deal with this homicide than Jinki right now. 

Sam made her way outside towards her partner. 

“Max, any luck?” Max looked up from his notes and shook his head.

“We only have one more person on this floor to talk to, and then we’re done. Ready?” Max was met with an apologetic smile from Sam. 

“It’s Jinki?” 

Sam nodded sheepishly. 

“Go, go and save him from alcohol poisoning or whatever.” Sam thanked her partner and ran towards the entrance of the building. 

“You owe me coffee for a week!” 


The bar was quieter than usual for a Friday night when Sam entered the bar, but it wasn’t a game day, so that could have been it. She waved to Taemin as she walked over to the bar. 

“Hey Tae, where’s your brother?” 

Taemin shook his head and set down a drink for her. 

“Noona, he went to the bathroom," Taemin made a show of leaning in and stage whispering, "and could we keep the fact that we are related on the down low. I can’t be associated with that slob.” 

Sam sighed as she sat down in front of her drink. 

“He's probably still throwing up the last of his dignity or the sour mix he tried to chug earlier.” Taemin muttered and Sam’s eyes went wide before she let out an exasperated laugh. 

“Are you serious?”

In response he held up a half empty bottle of sour mix. 

That was a new low, even for him. 

Sam decided to give Jinki a few minutes since he was probably trying to clean him self up and looked around the bar taking in her surroundings. Her eyes landed on two men a couple seats down. She couldn’t believe her eyes. 

“DA Choi? Wait, am I seeing things or are you really out of the office? And at a bar, you do know they sell alcohol here right?” 

The man turned and recognition flickered across his features, his very good looking features. 

“Detective Park, it’s very nice to see you again.” 

Sam didn’t miss the way he surveyed her body. It had been quite a while since he had gotten to see it. 

“You’ve met my assistant Kim Jongin? ” 

Sam reached for Jongin’s out stretched hand and shook it. She was surprised to see the new District Attorney there, he had a reputation for being very straight laced and uptight and incredibly rich, not all loose tie and slightly messy hair, drinking cheap scotch, not since university anyway. 

“Shouldn’t you be a gentlemen’s club drinking hundred year old whiskey in a castle in London or something?” 

Jongin’s eyes shifted between her and the DA.

“Oh no, they kicked me out when they realized I liked Johnny Walker blue label as opposed to black.” 

Sam couldn’t help but smirk, she opened to say something but saw Jinki stumble out of the restroom almost falling flat on his face. 

“Excuse me, it was nice to see you again, both of you but I have to take care of a little problem.” 

The last part was said through gritted teeth as she moved to help Jinki.

All of her anger dissipated as soon as Jinki looked up at her though. His eyes were puffy and his nose was turning red, he had been crying. 

“I guess it was a matter of time before they called the cops.” He said as she hoisted him up draping his arm around her shoulders. 

“I should throw you in jail Jinx.” 

“You can’t, and you know why? Because you’re my bestest friend Sammy wammy.”

Sam cringed, of course she would never really put him in jail, but she still wanted to threaten him. 

“Let’s go home, you’re drunk.” 

“And you’re very observant detective.”


A/N: I hope it's ok! Please let me know what you think!