'I Love You

Inflight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Kimberly and I’m your chief flight attendant. On behalf of  the entire crew, Welcome aboard Korea Airlines flight 888, non-stop service from Los Angeles to Incheon. At this time, make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Also make sure your seat belt is correctly fastened." 

 

        I leaned back into the spacious first class seat while the attendant went over the rest of the safety instructions. I took in the wide spacious area and complimentary champagne that was still fizzing in the crystal glass. I have been in first class countless times now, however, it was always a humbling experience for me. I closed my eyes and remembered the time when I'd peered into the aisle from my economy class seat, hoping to catch a glance of the coveted first class section. The people in the business class looked so far away from me. Their sharp suits and designer dresses were completely contrary to my thrifted ensemble. I remember being so nervous during that flight's take off that I grabbed the hand of the boy next to me. I squeezed his hand tight causing him to look over at me and smile. He had such a wonderfuly bright smile. 

       I opened my eyes choosing not to remember the past, but instead take in my own sharp appearance. My navy high waist buisness pants were perfectly tailored and my crisp sheer white top didn't have a wrinkle in sight. Versace sunglasses sat ontop of my recently straigntened hair that had somehow managed to stay immaculate on the way to the airport. I had made it to first class and I knew that young girl who just a few years ago peered out into the aisle would be proud of me.

"Because we are traveling over water there will be no wi-fi on this flight. However, all passengers are welcome to cut on electronic devices while they are on airplane mode. Thank you."

        I took that as my cue to open up my laptop. I had to finish my article " What Makes a Man Fall in Love" which would tie into my interview with Korea's golden boy G-Dragon for next month's issue. It was a load of crap, but it was what would put food on the table, so I opened up a word document and stared at the blank screen. I continued to stare at the blank white screen for a few more minutes. Nothing.  I decided to plug in my headphones for a more isolated feeling hoping that it would spark some creativity. I started to lightly hum the slow but catchy tune. Soon my hums were replaced by deep sighs as I repeated the constant cycle of typing then erasing. Letting out one last sigh I finally typed a complete sentence on the barren screen. 

 

"What the hell is love anyway?" 

 

       The letters were big and bold. They were taunting me as I sat with my head back against the seat in frustration. Suddenly, I heard someone plop down in the vacant space next to me. To my surprise, it was Mr. Golden boy himself. 

 

"Article not coming along?" He asked with a cocky grin. 

"Actually, It's coming along just fine." I almost snorted as I closed my laptop harshly. 

"Ahh ok. 'What the hell is love anyway?'" He rubbed his chin like he was pondering the question himself, "I don't think your readers buy your magazine for one sentence articles."

 

My patience with my unwanted guest was running thin. "How may I help you, Mr. Kwon? I believe our interview isn't scheduled until tomorrow."

"Well, I heard all of that huffing and puffing from behind you and thought that I would come help you out." 

 

I could feel the heat of embarrassment rush towards my cheeks.Was I really that loud? I should have taken out my headphones! I feigned professionalism and slapped on my best corporate smile.

 

"Thank you for your concern Mr.Kwon. However,I think I can handle it." He made himself more comfortable in the chair next to me completely dismissing my request for him to leave. 

 

"So, you've never been in love before?" He was still grinning at me. My last nerve had just snapped in two. 

"No," I said as coldly as possible. His grin slowly fell into a subtle frown as he heard my answer. 

He broke eye contact as he looked down for at his hands for a  moment. When he looked back up his signature smirk was back. 

"Never?" He pressed.

"No. Never," I said as absolutely as the first time.  

"Well, what does love mean to you?" He crossed his arms as he waited for my reply.

 

"It means nothing. It is a term used by people to make them feel like their fleeting desire and lust is somehow deeper than it is." I was upset with myself for letting my guard down, but I hated the concept of love so much that I lost control. " People use it to make each other feel special. It gives people a faux sense of security and it does nothing more."

 

He went silent.

 

"Well, that's quite a cynical view for a love column

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter