One

Dancing Steps

A/N: LOOK WHO FINALLY FINISHED THE N

ok no its worth saying that i really lost inspiration for this for a while since i seriously fell out with the person that helped me with this which is why its so late but im really trying to get back to it because i really really love this idea. this isnt really much, but if you could tell me how it is, id be forever grateful!

also some things might be sort of difficult to understand at this stage (my different use of names, wendys phone call) but it all kind of ties together so? yes

the seulrene comes next chapter or maybe the third i promise

-

"Shouldn't you be getting ready for school or something?" Joohyun scoffed down the receiver, turning onto her side and pulling her thick blanket over her head, shielding her eyes from the bright sunset.

"Don’t feel like it. I feel so gross right now. Plus, I already know it’s going to be literally awful." There was a soft, almost silent sigh crackling through the speakers, and the girl shot upright, a deep scowl on her face. "Did you seriously just sigh?! Wendy!"

"Jesus, chill! It's just.... I’m worried, I guess. Have you actually even done anything recently? From what I get from you, you've just been moping around the house ever since you got there." Joohyun pouted despite the fact that the other girl couldn't see, shrugging her blanket off her head. As soon as the thick material was removed, her new uniform came into view, hung up neatly on the small white wardrobe, silently mocking her. If she was being completely honest, it wasn't nearly as hideous as her old uniform, but if anyone asked her, she would tell them it was hideous, like the rest of the town. There was no way she giving in, no way she was admitting to there being something nice here. Everyone had to know just how much she hated it here.

"Irene?" She jumped at the sudden voice in her ear, frowning at the other girl's small chuckle as she let out an audible gasp. "You're supposed to reply. That's how phone calls work."

She rolled her eyes, swinging her legs around and standing up, combing a hand through her long blonde hair. It didn't get very far. Damn tangles.

"I guess you're right. If I don't move, I'm gonna get out of shape."

“Irene... You know that-”

“Yeah, I know. Stop bringing it up.” She stumbled over to her dresser, inspecting her face in the mirror critically. Light purple bags rested underneath her eyes, her skin pallid and greasy. Gross. She lightly poked a pimple on her chin with a frown on her face. "Ugh, I look terrible."

"I'm sure you do. Now go and get ready. I've got better things to do than listen to you whine constantly." Joohyun snorted, hanging up. What a best friend.

She turned back to her reflection with a pout. Time for hell.

-

And hell it was.

"You're the dancer from Seoul, right?"

"I guess.”

"Can you show us some ballet?"

"No." All this attention was really not her thing. She hadn’t told anyone of her previous life in Seoul just so she could maybe get at least a little peace and quiet. Yet here she was, barging her way through the thick crowds of people in the school hallway,  a small trail of people following behind her with almost unnatural enthusiasm, desperate to hear her answer to just about every single damn question in the universe.

“So, what’s your name again?”

“Uh, Joohyun.” She replied distractedly, scanning the different classrooms as she passed. Where the hell was G5....? As her eyes landed on the numbers on the next door (which read “G3”. Why were there so many Gs?) a girl of substantial height stepped in front of the door, the top of her head just blocking the room number, a wide smile on her face and her hands clasped behind her back. Joohyun clicked her tongue in irration, Great. Just what she needed.

“Hey there!” The girl chirped in a ridiculously sweet voice that made her cringe. Now that she got a proper look, everything about this girl seemed somewhat... sugary. She had what Joohyun would call chipmunk cheeks, rounded and flushed as she grinned brightly, showing off a set of perfectly straight white teeth.

“Hi.” The girl replied, and the other’s smile only seemed to grow wider, as if her face were about to split in two. Joohyun would be lying if she said she wasn’t a little scared at this point.

“You’re probably trying to find your classroom, right? Which one is it?” She cocked her head to the side a little to accompany her question, contributing to her saccharine aura.

“I, uh, I don’t need your-“ Before she could finish her sentence she was being grabbed by the wrist and gently lead forward by the stranger. She didn’t even have time to protest before the mysterious girl started talking at around one hundred miles per hour.

“No no, I can totally help you! Since you’re the new kid it’s totally my responsibility to help you around the place rather than just hang around and ask you questions. Also, they’re gone now so you should thank me, huh? Since I’m a literal genius who just saved your . Oh, I’m Sooyoung and I’ve lived here for about, uh, I don’t know, all my life? I’m not one of those weird farm people, but I do have a really nice cottage, you should come sometime, We can go on my trampoline, I can invite Yeri, or Taemin, or Hyo, or everyone, then you could get to know the troupe! That is, if you want to join the troupe, but who am I kidding, you’re a dancer, of course you would. Wait, which classroom were you in again?” The girl turned, a sheepish look on her face.

Joohyun blinked several times, feeling a little dazed at all the new information. Who knew someone could talk so much? “I... G5?”

The girl (Sooyoung, did she say her name was? The words were a little lost in all the babble) suddenly squealed, squeezing on the poor girl’s wrist with a huge grin, her deep brown eyes sparkling with excitement.

“Oh my gosh, you’re in the same class as me! Aw, that’s so cool, c’mon, c’mon!” She was at least 90% sure that she would be left with some dark bruises after this.

And Sooyoung just kept asking questions. They didn’t stop. Every time the blonde opened to answer her enquiries, the other was already off on a whole new train of thought, spewing out the most useless of questions such as “so like, what kind of shoes you dance in? What brand?” and “so do you like Mamamoo? Oh, oh, what about After School? Kara?”

“This is it! Behold our great and mighty classroom!” Sooyoung flung open the door with an alarming amount of riot coming from inside and proudly placed both her hands on her hips as a small piece of paper flew across the room, hitting Joohyun square in the eye.

The dancer let out a loud groan, hand coming up to her injured eye, slowly opening them both again to survey the mess (which had gone weirdly quiet) in front of her.

All eyes were on her now. It almost like someone had just pressed pause on all the chaos, a girl still swung back on her chair, legs in midair and mouth hanging open, eyes dumbly staring, a boy with his arm still in midair, with more of a look of horror painted on his face at the girl’s reddening eye. Well, at least Joohyun knew who the culprit was now. She held up the small crumpled ball of paper, raising one eyebrow at the boy in question. Sure enough his eyes slowly moved to look to the side, his lips becoming a thin line.

“Who’s that?” A girl with bobbed blonde hair broke the long silence, slowly raking her eyes up the dancer with a small, inquisitive pout on her face. Joohyun heard the quiet hum of agreement ripple throughout the classroom.

“This is Joohyun, everyone! She’s a dancer from Seoul!” There were a few long seconds, filled only with the quiet sound of a clock ticking and the dumb blinking of students. Joohyun flexed her fingers, feeling her palms sweat nervously.

There was the sudden scrape of a chair, and then the bobbed blonde hair girl was stood up, hands still on her desk, eyes shining as she looked at the dancer. “You dance?”

“Well, uh.....?” The girl’s eyes suddenly seemed to explode with stars as her face broke out into a bright smile.

“That’s amazing! Oh man, we’ve been in need of a new troupe member since... well... forever!” Joohyun smiled nervously at her, feeling her heart drop at the girl’s enthusiasm.

“Look, I’m sorry, but-“ The girl simply laughed breezily, scraping her chair back further and sliding between desks to come face to face with Joohyun.

“But nothing! We don’t bite, I promise. I’m Hyoyeon, the dance captain, but most just call me Hyo!”

“Seriously, it’d be so good to have you!” Sooyoung chimed in, placing a hand on her shoulder. “We really need a professional!”

“No, listen, I-“

“Aw, come on Joohyun! Why not?” Sooyoung pouted, tightening her grip on her shoulder. Hyoyeon frowned too, eyebrows furrowed together.

“Yeah, why-“

Because I don’t dance anymore!