Gone

A Collection of Random Things

He hoped that she would be there. It has only been 15 minutes. He had waited for her for hours in the past why would she leave in a mere few minutes wait. She did say it was for something important. If it really was, then it’s something that should be said face to face.

He moves right through the throng of people. Why is there a huge crowd today? Why did she want to meet him here? She was always the shy meticulous type. She didn’t like big crowds. She would easily get irritated by the buzz of people in the streets.

A few steps further. He’s almost there. In the designated spot she said they should meet. He moved towards her. He raised his hand to get her attention. She nodded in acknowledgement. He moved closer until they were merely a few feet apart.

Her hair was in a simple ponytail. She didn’t have any make up on. It was a refreshing sight albeit her slightly red eyes. She must have been crying. Why would she? He was just with her that morning. She greeted him with a smile before he left home.

She didn’t move from where she stood but she didn’t look at his face. He noticed the suitcase behind her. Was she going somewhere? He tried to make her look at him but she refused to meet his gaze. Tears started streaming down her face. She took her hand out of her coat pocket and took his hand. She gently placed a key on his palm.

“Goodbye”

A single word he did not ever want to hear from her.

She turned her back and grabbed her suitcase and walked towards the bustling crowd.

He stared at her back all confused as she faded into the sea of people. He was clueless of what just happened. It felt too surreal. It seemed like a nightmare that he couldn’t wait to wake up from.

As if on cue the rain started to fall as his eyes began to tear up, the heavens probably grieved with him. He is still standing on the same spot where she used to stand in front of him a few moments ago.

He stood there waiting hoping she would come back. Hours passed and still he stood at the same spot. He nagged himself arguing that he should have followed her. He should have begged her to stay but he knew that there was no point of having her stay if it was not by her own will.

He finally moved from where he stood, he started walking, tracing his footsteps back home. He will miss her and he would want to see her but he has no other choice but accept the fact that she’s gone.