Chapter 1

Dream Lover

Chapter 1

 

"You're Miss Minjae?" I looked up at the man questioning me, his intimidating, stern appearance made me subconciously bite my lip, making me nod and hold onto my binder tightly to my chest. I adjusted my glasses,

"Uhm, yes, I'm Minjae." He raised a brow at my name, shaking his head,

"What is your real name?" 

"Monique." 

He nodded slightly, writing down in his notepad before he glanced at me with his beady black eyes, "If you are to get an interview with our company, youwill go by your American name. I hate when foreigners come here with a Korean name like they're Korean," He sneered under his breath before closing his book uninterested, "And you graduated from which University, Miss Monique." 

I gulped slightly as I readjusted myself in my seat, straightening my pencil skirt to cover more skin, clearing my throat, "Uhm, I'm sorry, sir, but that information should be in the file I sent you before I came all this way. I didn't fill all the paperwork out only to have to repeat myself with my own voice." The man peered over me with disinterest and a trace of shock with my tone of voice, making me swallow slightly.

I hate formalities.

I hate erts.

I hate dressing revealingly.

... And that's why I haven't been able to land a job here after 6 months.

"That'll do, you're dismissed." He waved a hand and I sighed in response as I got up from my seat, shaking my head at the outcome. I admit, I was a fiesty woman, but I hated having to repeat myself, especially to a snob like the one I had just encountered. I sat up from my seat and pulled out my ponytail to let down my long, brunette waves down by back and took off my thin framed glasses, glancing at the man who had put himself in such a high pedestal with distaste and rolled my eyes as I tucked my glasses into my purse and found my way out of the suffocating room.

"I see you didn't pass that one, either?" 

My hazel eyes glanced over at the voice and rolled my eyes, rubbing the bridge of my nose, "Amber, will you be following me all over town like this?" She chuckled as she approached me, playfully punching my arm before engulfing me into a welcoming hug. I returned the gesture and pulled away as she stepped back, kicking off my heels in the middle of the hallway, groaning, "It would seem you need encouragement, Unnie. It's much difficult here to get a job than back home." She pointed at my eyes with a bright smile, "Is that a smokey eye, mascara and eyeliner I see?" 

I nodded and rubbed off the makeup with a low, totally lady like, grunt and plopped myself back against the red painted wall and slid down it until I was sitting down. I was in a tight black skirt suit, the skirt cutting off at my mid thigh, my jacket buttoned up with a tight white under tank- I hated dressing so revealing for pigs just to get a job, but it was the only thing I had going for myself besides my background- and I despised leaning on my background for everything rather than my own hard work.

"Unnie, maybe you should try a new approach?" I glanced at Amber who sat beside me, looking at me with worry and thoughtfullness in her eyes. I smiled gently at her as I rubbed her hat, removing it from her head and placing the accessory on my own, making her smile, "Have you ever thought of pursuing an entertainer's career? I find you interesting, especially your behavior, you definitely have the looks of an idol." 

I peeked at her from under the tounge of the cap, humming in thought and puffing my cheeks slightly, "I don't know Amber, I'm not one to display myself, you know that." I sighed, making Amber glance at me and smiled gently, 

"Unnie, you're very pretty and you can dance really well. I'm actually surprised you didn't persue a career in choreography or something," Amber smiled brightly, patting my knee, "Let's go eat, I have to go in a few hours and you'll have to keep yourself entertained during that time." She got up and helped me back onto my feet, holding my heels, "My treat." 

I sighed, knowing food was my weakness- God how I loved food.

I. ING. LOVE. FOOD.

I fixed the snapback on my head and looked at Amber, making the waves of my hair swirl in the wind, "Say I was to get into an entertainment company, what kind of member would I be?" Amber chuckled and dug into her backpack she had slung on her side, 

"You'd be yourself, duh. But here, so you're more comfortable," She handed me a graphic tee and loose fitting shorts. I smiled at her in thanks, "You're lucky we wear the same size- my awesome sense of fashion will forever be loved thanks to my mighty followers." I laughed and nodded as I slipped the clothing over my current outfit, removed the jacket and handed it to Amber to stuff in her bag, and I automatically felt much more comfortable with the baggier clothing, "And shoessssss." She sang out tossing her back up sneakers to me.

I caught them and smiled, slipping on the pair of socks and Nike's she had tossed to me. We finally got to the nearby cafe, sitting across from each other, laughing, and sharing common memories with pastries and coffee in front of them, "How are you enjoying your stay in Korea so far, Monique?" I looked up at Amber and bit down into the jelly filled pastry I had in my hand, humming and my lips as I kicked my legs, 

"Mmm I love it so far. It's so pretty and everyone's so nice and hospitable, unlike back home." Amber nodded knowingly as she sipped her small cup of coffee,

"Unnie, what made you want to come here to become an English teacher? You could've gone anywhere..." She trailed off, her eyes still locked on me.

I smiled, powdered sugar falling onto my hand, "To see my best friend again, duhhhh." Amber smiled at me brightly and nodded, pulling her phone out to check the time, her eyes widened at the sight of the glowing 2:43pm that showed on her phone, making her pop her pastry into and stand up to gether her things,

"I'm so sorry, Unnie! I'm late! I have to go! I'll see you back at the apartment though!" She spoke to me hurriedly and muffled, making me laugh as I watched her, nodding,

"Ne, I'll see you at home."

I sighed as she left, sitting back in my chair and sipping at my frappuccino. When Amber was gone, I felt so alone, but I understood that she had her duties to attend to at her company, and I can't just put myself in her way. But I'll admit that she's the only person I knew in this country, and that only made me feel even more lonely. I grumbled to myself as I sat up from my chair, dusting off the powdered sugar that had landed all over my borrowed shirt, "Excuse me, Miss." 

I looked up to see a man standing in front of me wearing black slack pants and a buttoned up dark, navy blue shirt. I raised a brow as to what he had to say, making him smile and clear his throat, "Uhm, I couldn't help but notice that you were talking to Amber, one of the most popular girls in the SM industry." I blinked and nodded, not thinking much about it, "O-O-Oh, and I was watching you as you were changing into your street clothes, you are a very attractive foreigner, also, I had heard Amber say something about you liking to dance, anyways, what I'm trying to get at," He held out a card with a smile planted on his face,

"I was wondering if you'd like to join the Big Hit Entertainment family." 

I could feel my eyes grow big as he presented his card. I slowly took the card and glanced at the name.

Mr. Kim- of course, cause everyone here has to have the same family name

I glanced back up at him, "You're joking, right?" He shook his head and sat where Amber had been previously sitting. I slowly sat back in my seat and looked up at Mr. Kim in slight interest, "If you have been eavesdropping as much as it would seem you have been, you've been following us from the hiring building a few blocks from here?" He scratched the back of his head nervously with a slight blush and nod, obviously embarrassed.

"Yes, that's correct. I apologize if it discomforts you, but you had definitely cuaght my eye, and Big Hit is currently working on getting a girl group together, if not a female solo artist, to debut within the next few months. You already have the looks, and I'll take Amber's word that you can dance, then all I need is to hear you sing or rap." I raised a brow as silence fell over our small rounded table.

Suddenly, I laughed.

I laughed so hard that it shocked Mr. Kim, and all I could do was continue laughing. I was laughing so hard, a snort had even came out- and that's laughing pretty damn hard for me. I wiped at the tears at the edge of my eyes and looked at Mr. Kim who continued to stare at me in shock and discomfort, "Ahhh, Mr. Kim, I don't know what you take me for, but I'm not a fool." I tossed the card at him and sat up, pulling my bag over my shoulder, "It's a scheme, no sane man would willingly follow a young girl like myself and stalk her and her best friend, which makes you insane."

I was about to leave when I felt a grasp on my wrist, "Miss, I beg you, this isn't a scheme, I assure you. Here, just, stop by the building tomorrow and see for yourself." He slipped the card between my palm and fingers, making me eye him, my lip twitching up to determine whether or not to believe the man. He seemed like he was telling the truth...

I sighed, looked at the card and looked back at Mr. Kim, "Fine, but it's only because I do need a job, if this is a scam-"

"I assure you, it's not!" He smiled brightly as he noticed he won me over, making me blow a strand of hair out of my face and looked at Mr. Kim to size him up, "Make sure to bring your dancing and workout clothes, we'll test you in everything tomorrow, and if anyone asks who sent you, my first name is Hyun. I'll see you tomorrow, Miss..." He trailed off, offering his hand out.

There was a pause as he awaited a name, I sighed again, sliding the card in my pocket to slide my hand in his, "Monique." 

He smiled brightly, shaking my hand up and down, "You won't regret this, Miss Monique! I'll see you tomorrow!" And with that he rushed out of the cafe with a bright smile on his face. I watched him leave before digging into my poket to see the card once again. I studied and hummed, reading every little word on it to see if it was a scam- but it seemed legit.

I stuffed the card back in my pocket and began my walk back home,

"Big Hit Entertainment, hm? I'll have to look them up..."