One

Crush

Kyuhyun finds it stupid really, how she pines after her older brother's best friend, but then he has to shoot her that godforsaken, beautiful smile, and then she forgets about how stupid she really is again. . 

What she found even more stupid was her decision to tell her brother. 

She barely even registered what she had said until her brother leapt onto her bed and flung her book out of her hands, "Are you kidding me?" Oh , she thinks and the next thing she knows, her brother is all gum and teeth and he's teasing his little sister about how quickly she was growing up. 

"Wait," Kyuhyun starts, "You don't find this weird? At all?"

Hyukjae gives her a look and flicks her lightly on the forehead, "Pabo, why would I make fun of my little sister and her big fat crush on my friend?"

"That totally sounds convincing."

"Donghae's a good man," Hyukjae nods to himself, "You've made a wise choice, my dear girl."

He leaves the room just as Kyuhyun threatens to fly kick him in the balls. 

/

Kyuhyun regrets telling her brother because Hyukjae had made it a point to smirk at her every time she interacted with Donghae. And that was not fun at all. 

She's walking down the hallways with her friend, Ryeowook, when she passes Hyukjae and Donghae. She tries not to look because god, he's so handsome and perfect and cool and-

"Hey Kyuhyun," Donghae grins. 

"Oh h-hi," she awkwardly replies and she swears that if they weren't in school, she would rip that -eating grin off her brother's face. She turns to Ryeowook for comfort and she groans, out loud, when she sees the exact same smirk plastered on her best friend's face. She wonders why she has such people in her life. 

/

"Hey."

Hyukjae looks up from his laptop, "What?"

Kyuhyun shifts a little towards him, leans her head on his shoulder, "Answer me truthfully as a brother and don't make any weird jokes okay?"

Hyukjae chuckles and throws his arm around her shoulder, "Just say it."

"Does he...say anything about me?" 

Hyukjae pauses thoughtfully, "Hmm, yeah he does. A lot."

Kyuhyun's suddenly face to face with her brother, "Like good things or-"

Another all-knowing grin from Hyukjae, "You'll see."

Kyuhyun could only wonder what that meant when Hyukjae playfully shoved her off the couch.

/

Hyukjae never thought he would be a matchmaker, let alone one for his best friend and sister but he supposes that if it meant two of his favourite people in the world were happy, he'd do it. 

"So," Donghae says, slamming his lunch on the table, "Does your sister ever say anything about me?"

Hyukjae chokes on his strawberry milk, "W-What?"

"Dude, calm down. I was just asking."

Hyukjae takes a while to regain his composure, wiggling his finger in front of Donghae's face, "Firstly, if you want to date my sister, you have to be less of a hot jerk. Secondly, if you dare to touch my sister in any way, I would personally request for Hades to shove stalagmites up your -"

"So that means I can ask her out, right?" Donghae grins playfully. 

Hyukjae looks him straight in the eye, "You had better make sure you're the best boyfriend Kyuhyun could have." 

"What do you take me for, you ?" Donghae laughs. There's a moment of silence before he says, rather seriously, "Okay, how do I do it?"

/


"Hey, invite Ryeowook and let's go to that new amusement park this Friday," Hyukjae casually says as he passes Kyuhyun's desk.  

She looks up from her work, "What? Is Donghae going?"

"Why? Is his presence or absence going to be a deciding factor for you?" 

"No no no, just asking," she hastily corrects herself, "Yeah and I'll call Ryeowook now. How much is the ticket?"

"Donghae's treating us."

Kyuhyun doesn't reply. She turns back to her work, hoping desperately that her hair's covering the blush that had made its way to her cheeks. Hyukjae smiles to himself. 

/

It's pretty hot out on the day they go out and that for Kyuhyun because Donghae was wearing a muscle tank and she couldn't stop staring at his arms every ten seconds and-

"Oi Kyuhyun."

"What?"
 
"I'm going to go get some drinks with your brother, okay? Stay here and wait with Donghae."

"Yeah, sure," Kyuhyun manages to force out as her heartbeat increases by about a thousand times. 

"Come on," Donghae laughs, grabbing her gently by the wrist, "Let's get something cold. The weather is hot as ." 

They totally planned this, she thinks as she stares obsessively at the hand around her wrist. His grip is warm and she tries not to focus on it too much because she's sure she's going to mess up and make herself look like a total retard. 

Oof. Great. She walks straight into Donghae when he stops walking and then he's looking down at her, all smiles and laughter and then she's laughing too because wow, that went better than expected. 

Five minutes later, they're seated at a table and sharing a banana split and it's like a date, Kyuhyun muses. She quickly tries to push the thought out of her mind when she thinks of her foolishness. Tries and fails because the next thing she knows, she's blurted out, "What do you think of me?"

If there wasn't a feeling that described the immense regret, dread, stupidity and -my-life-ness that Kyuhyun was feeling, she was pretty sure she had just invented it. 

"Oh my god," she tries to salvage the situation, "I meant, like-"

"What do I think of you?" Donghae's shifted forward such that his face was just a mere few inches from hers. His hands find hers on the table and she's sure she's internally hyperventilating because her vision is actually getting blurry and there's cold sweat on the back of her neck. 

"I think you're smart, pretty, funny, cute, kind and so much more and you should totally consider dating me." 

"Oh." 

She hears Donghae chuckle before she finds an unfamiliar warmth pressed against her lips and it takes her while to realise that, oh my god, Lee Donghae is kissing me. 

When Donghae pulls away, he's laughing and teasing her about how red her face is and then she's threatening to spoon vanilla ice cream on his face. He finally grabs her hands and looks at her earnestly, "That's a yes, right?"

She leans forward and flicks him on the nose, "And I thought Lee Donghae was good with girls." 

/

"So, do you think the plan worked?" Ryeowook asks. 

Hyukjae smirks, handing her a pair of binoculars, "Wanna see for yourself?"