Chapter One

Fathers' Day

“Father’s day is next week so we need to come up with something really good for Appa this year,” Hakyeon said.

 

“And it can’t be like last year’s incident.”

 

The five young men all shivered in memory. The group was silent for several minutes trying to think about what to do.

 

“If you insist on giving me father’s day, don’t make it a disaster,” Taekwoon said, walking past.

 

The five men looked at each other and all spoke at the same time to the man walking away from them.

 

“Wait!”

 

“Where are you going!”

 

“It’s time for practice!”

 

“The practice room’s this way!”

 

“You’re going the wrong way!”

 

Taekwoon stopped, turned, and pointed silently at the bathroom door, raising his eyebrow. The others stopped and walked toward their practice room.

 

“Ok so not a theme park,” Hyuk said quietly. The other five looked at him as Taekwoon walked into the room to join them.

 

Over the next few weeks, the guys came up with many different ideas and all were shot down as being something that Taekwoon wouldn’t like. Eventually, with only two days to go, the five of them were no farther in coming up with a viable idea.

 

“What are we going to do,” Wonshik said, fending off Jaehwan’s paper airplanes.

 

Hakyeon’s head was in his hands with the others as they sat around the table brainstorming ideas.

 

“What about coffee?” Hongbin suggested.

 

Hakyeon shook his head. “We get him coffee for every birthday and Christmas. It’s more of a cop out gift.”

 

“Does anyone remember that coffee shop we all went to the first time we had an argument?” Jaehwan asked, working on another airplane.

 

“Yeah and we worked it all out and had a good time talking about random things after that and really began feeling like a team,” Wonshik said.

 

“What if we all go there?” Hyuk suggested.

 

“That’s so simple, though,” Hakyeon said.

 

“Taekwoon doesn’t like a lot of fanfare,” Wonshik pointed out, swatting at another paper airplane of Jaehwan’s making. “He hated all the theme parks and he doesn’t like when we throw him a big birthday party. The only thing he likes about that is the cake and spending time with us.”

 

“I’m sure that he would really like the coffee shop because of the coffee and it’s calm and it’s just a chance to hang out and talk. We don’t do a whole lot of that. Most of the time we’re working or sleeping.”

 

Hakyeon was silent for a few moments as he considered. Jaehwan even stopped working on his next airplane.

 

“Fine. We’ll do the coffee shop,” Hakyeon said. Everyone cheered. “I’ll make sure we have a ride. No one say anything to Taekwoon.”

 

“No one say anything to Taekwoon about what?” Taekwoon said, entering the door of the dorm.

 

Everyone started talking at once.

 

“Nothing!”

 

“Say what?”

 

“Nothing to say!”

 

“Look at the time!”

 

“Time for bed!”

 

Jaehwan threw his airplane at Taekwoon’s head and Taekwoon smacked it out of the air.

 

“Whatever,” Taekwoon said. “I’m going to sleep. Don’t keep me up.”

 

The five guys all looked at each other.

 

“I’ll get the van for us in two days,” Hakyeon said. “You four go sleep. We don’t want to wake grumpy up.”

On fathers’ day, the guys finished their practice early and decided to video chat with their fathers for a few minutes. Hakyeon kept a close eye on the time and when the time that he had asked the van to be ready for them approached, he said goodbye to his father and signaled the others to do the same. Taekwoon sighed because he knew something was going to happen. He said goodbye to his sanity and prepared himself for the same thing that happened the year before.

 

“Let’s go!” Hakyeon said.

 

The six of them piled into the van and made their way toward the coffee shop. When Taekwoon figured out where they were going, he visibly perked up.

 

“Oh thank god,” he said. “You finally figured it out.”

 

Hongbin raised his eyebrows at Hakyeon.

 

“Ok ok you were right!” Hakyeon threw his hands in the air. “Let’s go have a good time.”