obvious

the elephant in the room

It’s one of those ridiculously hot and sticky afternoons during the dog days of summer.  The air conditioner has been broken for two hours, so the entire group is sitting in the front of the powerful fan that has been placed right next to the television.  Their manager is on the phone with a repairman because the fan is doing little other than pushing the warm air around the room, offering little reprieve from the humid heat.

There’s nothing particularly interesting airing on television, so they’re stuck watching reruns of a melodrama because it was the first thing that interested someone, namely Seokjin.  Hoseok wants to let out an overly dramatic sigh, but he would just be voicing the feelings of everyone in the room.

He’s feeling particularly lethargic, which is not a familiar feeling for Hoseok.  Normally, he has to dance until he has sweated through his underwear to start feeling tired, but lethargy is not quite the same as exhaustion.

As of late, feelings that he has worked his hardest to squash have made resurgence.  Maybe it’s because of his proximity to Taehyung because of the choreography from their promotion, or maybe it’s because Taehyung’s hands are always on Jeon Jungkook.

Hoseok used to be able to ignore the extensive skin-ship, writing it off as Taehyung annoying just about the only person he could without repercussions from the seniority system.  Jimin is often his co-conspirator, and he has made his admiration of the youngest, to put it nicely, well known in front of the entire group and all of the fans on various broadcasts and clips.  In fact, Jimin has conveniently positioned himself next to Jungkook on the floor, pressing into Jungkook’s side despite the oppressive heat.  However, Taehyung is on Jungkook’s other side with his thin fingers on the younger’s thigh.

Hoseok tries to ignore the jealousy flaring up in his chest as Taehyung giggles pinching his favorite piece of Jungkook’s skin.  Taehyung snorts, “Elephant!”

Jungkook’s response is to pinch Taehyung’s arm, forming Taehyung’s famed elephant on the smooth skin of his arm.  Taehyung smiles in response, practically blinding Hoseok.

Hoseok remembers why it all started, his unacknowledged crush.  When exactly his feelings made themselves known, he doesn’t know.  Sometimes it keeps him up at night, replaying their “punishment” kiss.  The lipstick smeared across Taehyung’s mouth from the way that their lips met.  The look on his face afterward was as if his soul left his body.  Most of all he remembers the way that it felt to have his lips against Taehyung’s, even if Yoongi was holding their heads together.  Sure, his initial reaction had been his true sentiment at the time.  He had never once dreamed of Taehyung in such a way, and to have their first kiss broadcasted to the entire world, it was a bit much.

Now when Hoseok thinks back on it, it was J-hope’s reaction for camera, not Hoseok’s.  Hoseok wishes he could turn back time to kiss Taehyung properly.  He would approach slowly, softly feeling Taehyung’s lips with gentle presses.

He thinks about kissing Taehyung much more often than he should.  He thinks about Taehyung in compromising situations that would ruin the pure innocence that radiates from Taehyung.

Hoseok knows that Yoongi catches him staring, but thankfully, he says nothing.  He suspects that everybody aside from Taehyung knows.  It’s not very difficult to understand where the softness and kind words come from when Hoseok talks about Taehyung, so almost everyone has done the math.

Hoseok also knows that Taehyung has no clue what he does to Hoseok.  He doesn’t know anything, whether it is naiveté or willful ignorance, he hasn’t caught onto possessive stares or longing touches.  Taehyung just continues being an overly bright child that giggles about elephants and moles.  He assumes that Hoseok is being a supportive band mate, often returning compliments with a toothy smile.

Hoseok sighs, pushing his hand through his sweat saturated hair, letting out a little noise of disgust. He pushes himself off of the couch, announcing to no one in particular, “I’m going to take a shower.”

There are a few grumbles of acknowledgement, but no one moves or makes a comment.  Hoseok purposefully walks past Taehyung, ignoring the playful tap on his rear from the younger.

That’s the other problem with Hoseok and his heart.  Since Taehyung doesn’t know about Hoseok’s feelings, he continues to be himself with his loose definition of boundaries.  It’s particularly difficult for Hoseok to hold back his feelings, so more often than not, he chooses the simplistic, “tough guy” solution.  He ignores Taehyung when he thinks about him in less than platonic ways, which, as of late, means he has been ignoring Taehyung a lot for the past month.

He closes the door to his room behind him, well his and Jimin and Taehyung’s room.  In terms of avoiding Taehyung, their current (and former) room arrangement is of little help.  Hoseok peels his shirt off, throwing in onto his bed in a damp ball.  He walks over towards his things, rummaging for something breathable to change into after his shower.

As he chooses a tank top from his mess of clothes, he hears the door open and close quietly.  He straightens up, turning to face whoever has entered; ready to berate whomever it might be for violating his privacy.  His words die in his throat when he makes eye contact with Taehyung.  His head is tilted sideways, wearing an expression of concern.  His back is pressed flush against the door with a hand still on the doorknob, which he has locked.

Hoseok clears his throat, holding the tank top up against his body to preserve some sense of modesty, although it’s nothing Taehyung hasn’t seen before.  He his lips before speaking, “Dude.” It’s the only word that manages to come out, and it does so with a healthy dose annoyance.

Taehyung frowns, pushing his lips into a pout, “What’s wrong?” He asks, and Hoseok knows what he’s referring to, but he’s nowhere near ready to talk about the elephant in the room.

“You came in while I was changing.  I know we’re close, but I don’t know if I’m ready to go full frontal in front of you.” Hoseok lies smoothly, although there is some weight behind his words.  He doesn’t think he’ll ever be comfortable in front of Taehyung while .

Taehyung sighs sadly, brow furrowing, “Did I do something wrong? If I did, please tell me so that I can fix it because I can’t think of what I did wrong this time.”  His voice cracks at the end as he begs for Hoseok’s forgiveness for a nonexistent transgression.

Hoseok flinches, “There’s nothing to apologize for, so please leave.”

Taehyung takes a step forward, frowning further.  He reaches out to take Hoseok’s hand, and Hoseok is too slow or too shocked to yank his hand away.  Taehyung looks straight into Hoseok’s eyes, “Just please tell me why you’re avoiding me.”

Taehyung is like a puppy dog with soulful eyes and a wounded expression that Hoseok wants to smooth over with something happier.  He doesn’t know how to make it better though because telling Taehyung the truth will undoubtedly damage their relationship.  That can’t happen for any number for reasons, the fans would definitely notice, but Hoseok doesn’t think he’d be able to take the rejection of his heart well.  He sees Taehyung every single day.  Hoseok pries his hand out of Taehyung’s grasp, gently returning it to Taehyung’s side, “I’m not avoiding you.  Please leave.”

Taehyung huffs, taking Hoseok shoulders and shaking them, “I’m not leaving until you tell me what I did wrong!”

It’s weird to see Taehyung angry, and it’s also rather cute, the way that his brow is pushed and his lips are pouting.  Hoseok loses control for a moment, shoving Taehyung against the door hard enough to make a loud thud.  His fingers grip Taehyung’s shoulder painfully tight, catching a glimpse of the look of surprise on his face before smashing his lips against Taehyung’s.

It’s nothing at all like how Hoseok imagined kissing Taehyung over and over.  There’s too much force behind the kiss, and Taehyung is frozen beneath Hoseok’s grip.  Hoseok becomes very aware of what he’s doing.  The outcome is what’s expected; Taehyung isn’t kissing back, but he’s yet to come to his senses and fight back.

Hoseok pulls himself off of Taehyung, who’s just frozen in shock.  He picks up his clothes, lightly shoving Taehyung out of the way, escaping the room as soon as possible.

Hoseok storms into the bathroom, muttering to himself angrily, not making any sense.  As soon as he has gotten the water running, his knees give out.  He leans his head against the wet tiles of the shower, closing his eyes, letting the steady stream of lukewarm water pound down on his body.  He promises himself that by the end of the shower, all of his feelings and thoughts about Taehyung will reset to before his infatuation.

He takes a while in the shower.

 

--

 

There’s a new elephant in the room, and Hoseok doesn’t like it much better because now everyone knows it’s there.  Hoseok actively avoids Taehyung, spending as much time in Yoongi and Seokjin’s room as possible.  He goes to bed without wishing his roommates goodnight.  He wakes up earlier than he should to continue avoiding Taehyung.  He sits as far away as possible in the van with his earphones in and volume as loud as possible.

Hoseok can’t even look at Taehyung for fear of what he might say.  He’s afraid of homophobic slurs or the official end of their friendship.  He’s more afraid of Taehyung cutting their ties, so he does it first.

The only time that Hoseok interacts with Taehyung is when he has to.  During broadcasts, he smiles broadly, joking with Taehyung and talking about him and to him.  He’s even willing to playfully touch Taehyung.  He knows that Taehyung won’t say anything on air.  He can’t say anything.

 

--

 

Hoseok is already in the van, waiting for everyone else to come out.  It’s another avoidance tactic, but on the plus side, he’s able to get into normal clothes very quickly now.  He plays a silly Flappy Bird knock-off on his phone, tapping away in the dimly lit rear of the van.

He hears the side door open as light invades the vehicle.  Hoseok squints, waiting for his eyes to adjust and reveal the face of the figure that’s getting into the car.  The car door closes, and Hoseok recognizes Taehyung’s face.  He’s settled in the seat in front of Hoseok’s.

His brow is furrowed, and his lips are pressed together in an expression that can only be described as determination.  It’s a confrontation that Hoseok has been trying to put off for the better part of two weeks, and it’s conversation that he’s not looking forward to despite its imminence.

All he can do is wait for Taehyung to choose his words, which takes longer than Hoseok expected.  He watches as Taehyung stares at Hoseok's knees with his lips parted as if a word is on the tip of tongue, about to tumble out of his mouth any minute.  Every moment that a word isn’t spoken, Taehyung seems to lean forward a little bit more like he’s trying to force a syllable out.

“I don’t understand.” Taehyung says, finally speaking, immediately correcting his posture and making eye contact with Hoseok.

“What’s confusing?” Hoseok shifts in his seat, completely prepared to deny any and all allegations of kissing Taehyung.  It’s useless because both participants in the one-sided kiss are present.

Taehyung his lips, taking another breath, “You kissed me, and now you’re avoiding me.”  His voice is distinctly whiny.

“Which part is confusing?” Hoseok asks, slipping his phone into his pocket to give Taehyung his full attention.

“All of it.” Taehyung is leaning forward again with a bewildered look on his face.

Hoseok runs his hands through his hair, deciding to bite the bullet and just lay all of the cards on the table.  “First, I kissed you.”  Taehyung nods in seriousness.  Hoseok tries not to think that it’s cute but fails, “Now I’m avoiding you.”

Taehyung pouts, “I still don’t understand.”  He shakes his head, confusion written all over his face.

Hoseok groans.  Does he really have to explain that he’s embarrassed and can’t really handle Taehyung’s inevitable rejection?  He falls back against his seat, closing his eyes, unable to verbally dictate his reasons for avoidance.

He hears Taehyung move to the seat directly next to his, shoes squeaking against the leather seats.  He moves, opening his eyes, ready to tell Taehyung that they can go back to avoiding each other, but he doesn’t get the chance.

Taehyung presses his lips against Hoseok’s softly with his eyes closed.  Hoseok is frozen in shock; he thinks he might’ve fallen asleep and that this is some sort of weird wish fulfillment dream.  Taehyung moves his lips slightly, still opting to be on Hoseok.  Hoseok’s lips thaw out, applying his own pressure against Taehyung’s lips.

Taehyung’s kisses are sweet and innocent, lips nipping at lips.  Hoseok doesn’t know when it happened, but his hand is cupping the side of Taehyung face as he nibbles on Taehyung’s lower lip.

All things considered, their lips don’t stay locked for long because the car door opens suddenly, causing Taehyung to fly away like they’re magnets with the same polarity.  Taehyung’s spine is as straight as rod, but he’s sitting right next to Hoseok with slightly pink cheeks, tucking his lips behind his teeth.

The rest of Bangtan piles in one by one, and Jimin takes the seat on the other side of Taehyung.  Hoseok looks forward, fully aware that everyone is probably very suspicious based on Hoseok and Taehyung’s sudden proximity after an extended period of avoidance on Hoseok’s part.

When they’re halfway back to the dorm, Hoseok feels Taehyung slip his fingers in between his own, giving it a small squeeze while he still holds his conversation with Jimin.

 

--

 

Hoseok stays still as Taehyung takes a permanent marker, drawing two dots a few centimeters apart on his inner thigh.  Hoseok plays with the tips of his hair, letting a small smile stretch his lips.  Taehyung’s concentration is very cute, especially the way that his nose scrunches up, as he makes sure that the dots are far enough apart.

Taehyung smiles when he finishes, proudly presenting the finished product.  Hoseok looks at him expectantly.

Taehyung lightly pinches the skin just below his masterpiece, “It’s an elephant.”

For the first time since he knew of the first inklings of his feelings for Taehyung, he doesn’t mind the fact that there’s an elephant in the room.

 

a/n: TADA!
i dunno is it cute?
subscribe, comment, upvote
​have a nice day!