Final

The Sheep and His Shepherd

"BAA!"
"Wonshik, come over here," his shepherd demands, pointing downward and stomping his foot.
"No, Hakyeon," Wonshik bleats, staying in the red barn.
"You'll overheat in this weather with your wool," Hakyeon counters, fixing his straw hat over his head.
"Baa," Wonshik whines, creeping out. His white, wooly, curly hair shoots out all over his head. Hakyeon chuckles, and pulls him along to a small chair. Wonshik sits down, as Hakyeon plugs in an electronic razor. Wonshik bleats nervously.
The razor runs along Wonshik's neck, gliding up the middle of his head. He closes his eyes, as Hakyeon shaves off even lines. Wonshik exhales when the vibrating ends. Hakyeon holds Wonshik's head still, and pulls out a single razor. He carves elaborate swirls into the back of Wonshik's head.
"Alright, done," Hakyeon speaks, brushing away stray wool from Wonshik's neck.
"Can I see?" Wonshik asks, and Hakyeon smiles.
"Yep," confirms Hakyeon, grabbing a small mirror. He holds it in front of him. Wonshik smiles, and rubs his neck. He rubs his stubbly hair. His little tail shakes behind him.
"Baa," Wonshik bleats happily. "I like it."
"Good," Hakyeon coos, ruffling his head. He kneels down, and gathers the wool from Wonshik's head. Wonshik moves, and kneels beside him. They put it into a small bag, and Hakyeon exhales.
"You won't get much, will you?" Wonshik whispers, as they stand.
"We'll get by. People buy hybrid sheep wool," Hakyeon encourages, smiling weakly.
"Not for much. Maybe I should go to the city. I'll get a job in a club—"
"Stop! You are not going to the city!" Hakyeon yells, grabbing Wonshik's wrists.
"Baa." He shakes, as Hakyeon breathes again.
"I'm sorry. I care about all of you. I don't want to lose you," Hakyeon whispers, moving away into the small house.
"You ticked him off," the cat hybrid speaks, sitting on the porch's guardrails. His black tail flickers around his body, and he scratches behind his black ears.
"Shut up, Taekwoon. I just wanted to help," Wonshik counters, moving away. Taekwoon scoffs, and follows him.
"Would him worrying everyday about you, be good for him?" He combats. Wonshik looks down, and picks the fluffy wool off his arms. He huffs, as Taekwoon flicks him with his tail.
"It wouldn't," Wonshik agrees, as his ears flop down. Taekwoon hums, and tugs on Wonshik's small, white tail. He yelps, and socks his shoulder.
"Hakyeon needs us more than you'd know," Taekwoon whispers, before running away.

 

Wonshik watches Hakyeon rub head over a stack of papers. He bleats weakly, and Hakyeon looks up. He smiles, while his eyes remain tired.
"Hey, Wonshik. Are you hungry or something?" Hakyeon whispers, standing up to face him.
"What's all this?" Wonshik asks, looking over at the pile.
"It's nothing," Hakyeon covers, moving in front of the papers.
"Hakyeon," Wonshik warns, standing over him.
"Don't worry about it," Hakyeon demands, hardening his face.
"I am," Wonshik counters, as Hakyeon shakes his head.
"Don't. Why don't you go to sleep?" He whispers, begging with his eyes. Wonshik bleats weakly, and turns away. He walks to his shared room, and slips inside.
"Wonshik?" The beagle hybrid within calls, and he turns.
"Yeah?"
"Will you hold me?"
Wonshik smiles. He walks over to him, and slips into bed with him.
"What's wrong, Sanghyuk?"
"It was raining and thundering earlier. Couldn't you hear it?"
"Oh."
Wonshik pulls his friend close, and plays with his floppy ears. Sanghyuk kicks his leg excitedly, and curls closer. Wonshik chuckles.
"Thank you," he yaps, smiling up at him.
"Yeah, no problem," Wonshik whispers, as Sanghyuk's breathing evens. Wonshik exhales. He turns to face upward. His thoughts consume him. He doesn't fall asleep that night.

 

Wonshik sits by the breakfast table Hakyeon was working the previous night. The rest surround him, and he exhales. A steaming mug is set in front of him. He glances up, and finds Taekwoon frowning down at him.
"Thanks," Wonshik whispers, breaking his gaze. He takes the mug, as Taekwoon's tail flicks his head. Taekwoon walks away.
Wonshik sips the creamy coffee, and allows it burn his tongue. He sets it down.
"-a-doodle-doo!"
The table jumps, and stares at the roaster hybrid. Taekwoon hisses, and jumps at him. Sanghyuk barks, and chases after him. Wonshik bleats under his breath, as Hakyeon sits beside him.
"It's like we live on a farm," he jokes, smiling weakly at Wonshik. Wonshik chuckles hollowly, and downs the coffee before him. He stands, and slips the mug in the sink. He walks out of the door, hands in his pockets.

 

"Why are you here?"
Wonshik bleats, looking up at the questioning horse hybrid.
"I need to help him, Hongbin. I just do," Wonshik speaks, rubbing his hair. Hongbin flicks his long hair out of his eyes, and stares at him.
"There is a hybrid showcase going on tomorrow. If you behave, I could pretend to be your owner. The prize is money," Hongbin suggests, as his tail sways back and forth.
"That will work," Wonshik speaks, scratching behind his ear.
"Find the tag Hakyeon pierced your ear with. You'll need that too," Hongbin commands. Wonshik nods, and plays with his shirt.
"Thank you," he whispers, leaving Hongbin alone.

 

Wonshik stands alone in a pen. White pants are the only things adorning his body. The tag makes his ear flop down. The hands of the judges roam his toned body. They pull on his tail, his ears, anywhere they can decently touch him.
Hongbin stands outside the pen. His tail is tucked into his pants, and his hair is tucked into his hat. He observes the judges, and their wandering hands.
The judges move away. The next sheep is judged, and Hongbin hops inside the pen.
"That wasn't fun," Wonshik mutters under his breath.
"You'll be fine," Hongbin speaks, rubbing his shaved head. Wonshik nods, and looks around the other small pens. His eyes roam between the pens, at the paths. He pales.
"Hakyeon," he mutters.
"Where?"
"Behind you, coming to the sheep," Wonshik explains. Hongbin glances at him, and frowns.
"Damn it," he curses, pulling Wonshik closer. He bleats, as he crashes against his chest.
"Don't move," Hongbin demands, grabbing at his hair.
Hakyeon walk past them, with Taekwoon by his side. He's happy, and passes by Wonshik and Hongbin without a second glance.
"Attention! The sheep awards will be given out," a judge announces. Hakyeon stills, and faces the man. Wonshik gulps.
The man speaks, and hands out the ribbons. He holds the blue ribbon, smiling brightly. He walks over to Wonshik, and places the ribbon over his tag. Hakyeon looks over at him, frowning deeply. He shakes his head, and walks away. Wonshik feels sick to his stomach.

 

Hakyeon sits at the small table. Wonshik creeps into the room, and bleats nervously. He walks over to Hakyeon, and sits in the chair beside him. He places a small check beside Hakyeon. Hakyeon moves his head from his folded hands.
"Why?" He asks, looking at Wonshik. Wonshik flats his ears.
"I wanted to help," he confesses, shifting his body. Hakyeon sighs, and stands.
"They treat the hybrids in competitions like pure breed animals. You saw the pens. Some hybrids are there for weeks, and their owners don't clean up for them," Hakyeon speaks, moving closer to him. Wonshik releases a small bleat, and dips his head down.
"Sorry," he whispers, moving away. Hakyeon shakes his head, and goes to sit back down. "I wanted to help. I just wanted to help."
"I know!" Hakyeon snaps, folding his head again. Wonshik bleats, and backs away. Hakyeon exhales. "I know. You should have told me."
"I wanted to surprise you with some help," Wonshik confesses, shifting the chair closer.
"We make do. We always make do," Hakyeon speaks, looking at him. Wonshik bleats, and looks down. Hakyeon sighs, and grabs the check. He smiles weakly, and pecks Wonshik's check.
Wonshik bleats, and blushes pink. "Thank you," Hakyeon whispers, setting down the check. Wonshik's tail shakes back and forth, as Hakyeon pecks his cheek again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So, here it is. It came out a little more angsty the I would have liked. Oh, well. I hoped you liked it~ (-<) <3 ^_^