Chapter 1

Complicated Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    If Luz was being completely honest, she obviously hadn't planned on coming at all, but like most things in her life it kind of just... happened.

    Only about a month ago, she had learned her grandfather--her father's father, had died. The story of her mysterious grandfather was very well known in her family. It was always one of her grandmother's favorite stories to tell. She called it, "The Perfect Whirlwind Romance." They had met in Mexico; he was on a study-abroad trip at her grandmother's college and they had hit it off right away. Skip to a couple months later, and woops her grandma gets pregnant.

    However, they were happy; they even got engaged. Then 6 months into her pregnancy, he completely disappeared. Just like that he was gone, not a single trace of him left. Her grandmother had tried to get information from her school about were he went or his korean contact information, but they refused. All she had was his name, some pictures of them, and the engagement ring he had given her ( plus, you know the kid growing in her stomach). Even after all of this, she never blamed him; she always said he must have had his reasons. 

    Well life went on. Her grandmother immigrated to California where her father was born; years later, her parents met and had her. Yet as luck would have it, life struck again. Her father died in an accident when she was only 2 years old. There wasn't much she remembered about him, but now here she is, Luz--an 18 year old Mexican American ( & 1/3 Korean ^_~) girl who has absolutely no clue how her life took such a crazy turn. She never gave much importance to being a little Korean. Her father being 1/2, apparently never did, so she figured, why should she?

 

   Then she got the phone call. A man claiming to be her grandfather's lawyer called to let her know that her grandfather had passed away and had left his company an entire fortune to her. It obviously came as a complete surprise--seeing as how no one knew who he was, let alone that he had been alive this whole time. After much convincing on the lawyers part, that they had indeed called the right person; she found herself on a flight to Korea to pay respects to a man she never knew.

 Her arrival was anything but normal. After going through immigration and getting her luggage, she was greeted by the lawyer; Mr. Choi before she could make it through the gate. He seemed to be a nice man in his late 40's--average height with a slim build and broad shoulders, soft looking black hair and a sweet face.

    "Hello! You must be Luz, I am Mr. Choi its nice to meet you." He extended his hand out to her to shake. She took it cautiously "It's nice to meet you too Mr.Choi." She felt slightly nervous as he stared at her intensely, "Please forgive me; it's just I didn't expect you to look like your grandfather, it's the eyes; they're exactly like his." He paused for a moment, then released her hand, "Well then you must be exhausted from your long flight and I hear jetlag is unpleasant, shall we get going?" He started to walk to the opposite side, away from the exit gate.

"Um, Mr.Choi where are you going? Isn't this the exit?" 

" Ah yes about that." He seemed to hesitate and think about something before he spoke. "There may have been a couple of things I failed to mention to you over the phone about your grandfather. You see, he was a very well known man, not exactly a celebrity, but something like it; And unfortunately, after his death, news spread about the long lost granddaughter he had and that she was inheriting his entire fortune and his company. The news spread faster once people found out this mystery girl was indeed a foreigner and only 1/3 Korean. Then naturally the media found out of your arrival today so they are waiting outside the gates to get a first glimpse of the mysterious Kim heiress."

 

   There was a very long pause before Luz finally said spoke. "You're ting me right? You must be joking, this can't be true. I'm a nobody! Why would anyone want to see me?!"  She raised her voice and panicked.

"While yes, you may be just an average young lady in your country, I can assure you Luz, in Korea you are anything but. Now we must get a move on before it gets too late." Luz--dumbfounded at the scenario, followed Mr.choi and an airport security guard through an employee entrance that led to the front of the airport. Outside a car was waiting for them, the driver put Luz's bag in the trunk and opened the door for her to get in. As they were driving past the regular exit she saw what seemed like hundreds of reporters and new cameras waitng at the exit.

    Could they really be there for her? She thought to herself. Thoughts such as, What is she even doing here? Why did she come? She didn't owe this man anything, stormed. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter