Final.

the right time

Kibum took a deep breath, staring at the ceiling of his own office. He didn't know what to do. No, scratch that. He knows what to do, he just don't know if he can. He let out another sigh and picked up his phone that was lying on the table. He tossed it between his hands, still comprehending whether to make the call or not.

It's been years since he last spoke to Jinki. But there was never a day that he didn't think about the other. There are times when he thought of going on dates, but whenever someone asks him, the answer would always be no. No, because they aren't Jinki. And no, because Kibum still loves Jinki very much.

And here Kibum was, seven years later, successful in life yet still loveless. He wondered how Jinki was. He knew Jinki was doing fine, and that he was doing well with his job, and that he still had the same phone number from before. All these were what Jonghyun had told him. But Kibum wondered how Jinki was deep inside. Was he happy? Does he miss Kibum? Heck, does he even want him back?

And so, to stop his curiousness from eating him alive, he finally called the person who could give him the answers, Jinki.

• • • • •

Jinki's eyes shot open. Who would call him at nine am on a Sunday morning? Sundays were his day off. He really wanted nothing but to sleep in and catch up with the hours of sleep he missed during the last six days. He picked up the phone anyway, not bothering to look at the caller ID. He was so ready to snap at whoever it was on the other line, but the voice that came stopped him and made him sit up instead, all traces of sleepiness were gone from his face.

"Hello?"

Jinki couldn't form any answer because he knew that voice. Heck, he loved that voice. He still do actually.

"Uh, hello? Is anybody there? Jinki?"

The sound of the voice calling out his name awakened his senses and desperately thought of something to say. In the end, there was only one thing that came to his mind.

"Kibum?"

"Oh. Hey, Jinki! I thought I dialed the wrong number."

"No, you didn't. I'm sorry. I was asleep."

"Is that so? Should I call again later?"

"No! I mean, it's alright. I'm already awake anyway."

"Oh okay. So, uh, here's the thing. I'm coming back to Seoul next week. I was wondering if you're free so we can meet up?"

"Sure! What day do you want to meet up?"

"Tuesday? I'll text you the place where we'll meet up."

"Okay then. I'll see you soon, Kibum."

"Bye."

Jinki fell back to his bed, still trying to soak in the fact that Kibum just called him, telling him that he was coming back and that he wanted to meet up. He couldn't help the smile that formed on his lips as he hugged his pillow, falling back asleep with his heart beating a little bit faster.





Jinki felt like his heart was going to explode. He was on his way to the café where he was supposed to meet Kibum. He had been so excited the days prior the day they were scheduled to meet. It's been so long since he last met Kibum and he was ecstatic to see him and hear his voice and listen to his stories.

He entered the café and the little bell chimed, signalling his arrival. His eyes scanned the room, and his eyes fell upon someone who was sitting at the corner of the room. Someone who never fails to take his breath away. Kibum, turned his head, met Jinki's eyes, and smiled. Jinki swore that everything around them became blurry and his eyes only saw Kibum. Jinki walked to where Kibum was and offered a smile.

"Hey Kibum."

"Jinki! It's great to see you!" Kibum stood up and captured the man in a hug. This caught Jinki off-guard but he wrapped his arms around the younger nonetheless.

"Have a seat." Kibum muttered as he released Jinki from the hug.

After their order has been taken, Jinki decided to start the conversation.

"So Kibum, how have you been. I'm starting to see your face everywhere. Doing great?"

"Oh my god, yes! I mean, it wasn't easy. I had to work my off day and night, but it was totally worth it."

"I am happy to hear that. You're doing great!"

"Thank you, Jinks. How about you? I heard from Jonghyun that you're already working in the biggest hospital in Korea."

"Wow. Jonghyun sure do gossip a lot, doesn't he?"

"He does. There are some things that never change, you know?" Kibum laughed.

"True. I've been doing well. Sure, the work gets a little stressful. But I am enjoying it too. After all, this is what I've dreamed of for a long time." Jinki said with a smile. One that says how happy he is.

"I'm glad, Jinks. Here's to our success." Kibum said as he raised his mug of tea, a playful smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

Jinki chuckled at Kibum's antics. "Here's to our success. Cheers!"

Both men were giggling. They probably looked stupid, but they didn't care. There was something about them together. Everything was smooth, calm. They were simply enjoying each other's company, loving the warmth radiating from their drinks and each other's smile.

 

Time flies fast when you're having fun. That statement was proven true by Jinki and Kibum when they had to part ways. They walked towards different directions with a promise of another meet-up, faint smiles upon their lips, and their hearts beating a little bit faster.

Their meetings went from once a week to almost everyday. Never once have they talked about their relationship, both too scared to ruin whatever it was that they had at current moment. So they stuck to the daily meetings and late night calls rather than defining what was going on between them.

"I have to tell you something." Jinki looked at Kibum. They were back at the café where they first met after years.

"I have to go back to Japan."

Jinki blinked, his brain trying to process what Kibum just said. "When?"

"After two days. I am needed there right now because we're in the middle of the preparation for the Fall Collection."

"I see. When.. will you be back?"

"I'm not sure. After the preparations, I need to start making designs for our next collection. So it may be a while 'til I can come back."

"Oh.. Okay then. Good luck, Kibum."

"Thank you."

The rest of the time was spent in silence. Both were caught up with what was going on in their minds. Short conversations were exchanged occasionally, but that was it.

They were both standing outside the café, exchanging goodbyes. Kibum was the first to walk away. Jinki was stuck where he was, staring at Kibum's retreating figure. And that's when realization hit him.

"Kibum!"

Kibum turned to look back, eyes glimmering with some kind of hope, desire, and desperation. As if he was waiting for Jinki to say something, something he wanted to say, but didn't have the courage to.

"I.. Have a safe flight." Jinki sighed. Eyes falling onto the concrete sidewalk upon his feet.

Kibum's face fell. Disappoinment was written on his face. He nodded, and proceeded on walking. His heart ached, thinking of what they could be.

Jinki wanted to slap himself, bang his head on the streetlight, stab himself with a fork. He was stupid. How could he let this chance pass? He knows what he wants. He wants Kibum to be his other half. His one and only. So, with the new found determination, he ran to the direction Kibum went.

"Kibum! Wait!" Jinki screamed when he was close enough to Kibum.

Kibum halted his steps. Eyes looking back at the man who was trying to catch his breath a few feet away from him. He walked slowly to where Jinki was, confusion in his face and a fire of hope in his heart.

"Jinki..?"

"Just.. Listen for a while Kibum. I.. ever since you left, I've never loved anyone. I tried. Because maybe you already got over me. But I can't. Because it's you. It's always you. I never stopped loving you Kibum. And I hope there's chance for us, to be together again."

Kibum's tears silently streamed down hia face. He cupped the older's cheeks and pulled him for a kiss.

"I thought you'd never ask, babe."




Three months after, the two were laying on the bed in their shared apartment, enjoying each other warmth and presence. Contented smiles were on their lips as they found where they truly belong; together.

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

#SHINeeView6thWin yaaaaayy! lmao at that human burger though. anyway, what do you think? comment below~