1986

The Recent History

 

 

“What are you reading?” Hyukjae´s voice interrupted my deeply concentrated self.

We were currently on a date in the park in front of the university, settled on a bench we were reading a book each. The weather was nice and perfect to come out of the library to enjoy a little bit of fresh air. The exams would start soon so we wanted to take the advantage of the calm before storm.

“About Caligula,” I answered without raising my eyes from the book.

“That´s what?” Hyukjae asked with a chuckle and I rolled my eyes at him.

“Roman emperor,” I informed him with a sigh. Hyukjae didn´t study anything too worth or especially difficult, at least in my opinion. He was at the sports department and most of the time only exercised. But I was glad that Hyukjae wasn´t a big guy or he would surely soon look like Kim Jong Kook with all that time he spends in the gym. Sure, if he was dumb I wouldn´t date him in the first place but he used his witty side only for useless stuff. So the conclusion is, Hyukjae is smart but knows nothing honestly.

“I see,” Hyukjae hummed and I noticed that his own book, manhwa, was lying abandoned next to him. “Is it interesting?” He asked curiously.

“Of course. Want me to lend you the book later?” I had my answer right away as Hyukjae grimaced at me with disgust. Nope, he wouldn´t read any proper book.

“Tell me instead,” he said and jabbed me with his finger. I groaned. “Please, I´m bored.”

“If you are bored then read a book!” I told him and shifted my eyes again to the text about the conflicted Roman.

“That´s what´s making me bored, Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae sighed and with his fingers started playing with the hem of my jacket. “Let´s play a game,” he whined in the end, finally piquing my interest. More than reading I loved playing games. I quickly wondered which game would be the best for boasting about my brain. You see, I had a reason to think like that.

“Fine you tell me dates and I will tell you what happened that year,” I suggested but Hyukjae didn´t look very interested. With his nimb fingers he created a small knot on my jacket and then began untying it again while pondering about my idea. In the end he thought something up in his head, I´ve never actually understood the way his brain worked. He would think of stuff that I found completely unrelated or unimportant. Just like now.

“Fine, but you have to let me lie on your lap!” He answered and put my book away. Without waiting for my consent he shifted on the bench and laid his head on my lap. Looking up at me, Hyukjae grinned. I chuckled back at him because I had no idea how lying on my lap had anything to do with agreeing to play the game with historical events.

“Okay, ask!” I was excited whenever I could show off my brains. I had vast knowledge about almost everything. From history to economics, math and languages. And I used it to awe all the people around that came into contact with me. But the most I wanted to impress Hyukjae of course.

“Hm,” the fit man closed his eyes and reopened them the next second. “1945.”

“That´s easy Hyukjae. The end of the second world war and independence of Korea,” I rolled my eyes again at him.

“Of course, I wanted to start with something that even I know,” Hyukjae pouted at me and with my fingers I squeezed gently his nose. Hyukjae laughed sounding like an animation character with his nose covered. When he calmed down I ushered him to continue asking.

“1995,” he tried looking up at me curiously.

“For example the earthquake in Kóbe,” I grinned at him smugly, “something further in history, Hyukjae.” Absent minded I started carresing his short black hair which made Hyukjae happy. But I soon stopped because the handsome boy would forget about the game.

“Then something like 1903?” He asked me with his eyes wide and I could only smile, it was all too easy.

“You mean Japan-Russian war?” I said with an arrogance that has no limits. The great me was just too awesome for the little person on my lap.

“How am I supposed to know?!” Hyukjae against my expectations frowned irritated. “This game is no fun.”

“Come on, let´s play a little bit more. Go even further into the past, I wouldn´t know that maybe,” I tried to motivate him. Maybe if he thought he could get me, he would find it more amusing. Not like he could get me.

“Something from the seventeenth century!” Hyukjae let himself get tricked. “Like 1700, um, 1773?”

“First, if it´s 1773 then it´s the eighteenth century and you made it easy again, you . The Boston Tea Act!” I laughed but Hyukjae wasn´t amused. He had finally enough of my showing off.

“You´re horrible,” he said and sat up to cross his arms on his chest. He looked more cute than scary and that´s why I read the situation wrong.

“One more, the last one!” I suggested with a big smile on my face. I really wanted him to feel like I´m great. I wanted him to be proud of me. That he was going out with the best guy in the city. The guy that knew absolutely everything.

“Fine, 1986!” Hyukjae barked and glared at me. But in his eyes was something like hope which confused me, and I suddenly couldn´t remember anything. Hyukjae waited for twenty seconds and then snorted.

“er,” he hissed and stood up. I watched as he walked away from me with my mouth open. I thought that he wanted to defeat me so why was he angry? I lost, didn´t I? Or was he disappointed that I didn´t know such a fresh date?

What happened in 1986? It wasn´t too far in the past, it was actually a little bit before I was born. What happened a year before I was born, except for my mother becoming pregnant? Maybe it was something significant for the culture? Maybe it wasn´t anything world scaled. Probably only in Korea. Something that involved Hyukjae´s parents maybe? Well, at that time Hyukjae was-

“Born,” I breathed out. , I really did mess up big time. But that was a tricky question! I didn´t think of, well, I should have thought of Hyukjae. I should have probably thought of him more than of Caligula, the bastard was a tyrant anyway. I mean Caligula, not Hyukjae of course. Hyukjae wasn´t a bastard nor tyrant, he was somebody more significant than any Roman emperor.

I sprung up on my legs and wanted to chase after Hyukjae but my legs felt too heavy after sitting for too long and I was so out of condition that I knew I wouldn´t be able to get to him before he leaves the park. And once he dives into the gym, I might not see him until the evening and then it would be too late. The argument would grow too big. What do I do?

“You!” I suddenly jumped in front of a man on bicycle. With horror I realised that it was actually my economy teacher and I gulped loudly in stress. But I needed to man up or else I could seriously lose Hyukjae. This wasn´t the first time I messed up like that after all and I wasn´t sure where were Hyukjae´s limits.

“I mean, professor,” I quickly changed my tactics but not my resolve. “Would you mind saving my , I mean life? I just made a huge mistake,” I told him honestly, holding the handlebars of his bike. The older man surprisingly smiled, surely guessing that it was all about love issues, and gestured to the back seat.

“Hop on,” he said and prepared to start the race.

“Thank you, professor!” I almost cried in gratefulness.

My teacher stepped on the pedals and started riding in a speed I couldn´t even imagine the older man was able to accumulate. Soon we were at the end of the park and I finally could see Hyukjae. The slim boy was stomping angrily and maybe even crying, I didn´t know because he had his back turned to me. I raised my arm and pointed at him.

“You! The handsome guy born on the 4th of April in 1986!” I lamely called waving my arms like a madman.

“A boy?” My teacher murmured but I didn´t pay him any attention. The only one I wanted to notice me was Hyukjae, as always.

And luckily Hyukjae did turn around. He watched with wide eyes as an old man on a bike stopped right in front of him and I jumped down from the backseat to hug the startled student. The professor behind me laughed, probably having Hyukjae´s flabbergasted expression in his view. Then I heard the old pedals squeak again and he was gone. With him probably even my ´A´ from his subject, but not like I cared. Who needs the red diploma anyway?

“Now you look more idiotic than me,” Hyukjae murmured against my chest.

“I´ve never wanted you to feel idiotic. I just wanted to look good to you,” I admitted and pressed him even harder against myself. I could feel his tight muscles against my jellyfish like physique and realised that maybe I actually felt inferior next to him.

Eunhyuk sighed loudly and raised his arms to hug me back. I understood that there were some things we needed to change. I should start exercising a little to be able to keep up with my other half. Even my professor seems to be better of. Speaking of that I should change the economy class, I don´t think I can look into my teacher´s eyes anymore. But before that I need to make sure that the one year older student never slips through my hands again. This loss would by fatal for me, surely the worst event in my own history.

“Kyu?” Hyukjae murmured and when I released him to let him speak, I found him grinning at me mischievously. “I actually do know who Caligula is,” he said and I gulped down nervously, I shouldn´t have understimated him. “So if you don´t want me to do to you, what they say he did to Rome, you should start behaving.”

Didn´t I tell you he only uses his wits for weird stuff? Like threatening me for example. I sure love this man.

“Yes, your majesty,” I answered diligently and took him over the muscular shoulders.

 

 

 

 

 

That´s it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! Just a simple fluffy KyuHyuk one-shot. Nothing special, only a little thought during my ride to school. Thank you for reading and have a nice day. - PandaHero