One Shot

To the Moon and Back

As I stared out at the full moon on a rainy night, I wondered if anyone would come back for me. Can anyone still love me after everyone has left? My name is Jung Soojung, I was an orphan raised at Wentworth Orphanage and grew up there after my mother left me at the age of 6. I remember the day she left me; it’s the only memory that will forever be etched into my mind.

“Mommy… please don’t leave me…”
“It’s okay sweetie mommy’s not going anywhere, go to sleep, mommy will be here in the morning.”

It was all a lie… She was gone the next morning and that was the last time I ever saw her.

Wentworth was the home for many children whose parents no longer wanted them like me. I started as the new kid and didn’t know a single person, until one breezy, sunny morning.

Playing in the open yard, under a big shady tree with my dolls, a ball came out of nowhere and hit me, it was so strong it was enough to make me fall back.
“Ouch, what was that?” I said as I rubbed my forehead to ease the pain. One of the boys came running and offered me his hand.
“Are you okay? I am so sorry...  My name’s Jongin, what’s yours?” and that was the beginning of our never ending friendship.

His name was Kim Jongin, we became the best of friends after that incident. We would play in the open courtyard every afternoon, playing with rockets, dolls, marbles and more.

 

Twice a year, during a full moon, a disco would be held at the orphanage. We would have music and do crazy dances that everyone would enjoy. I remember when Sulli and I would always be in the middle of dance floor; dancing and giggling thinking we looked stupid.

“Sulli! Come and dance with me,” and we’d dance the night away to the music. Jongin was always the cool guy that never danced with anyone. EVER. He was soooo boring.
“JONGIN! DON’T MAKE ME DRAG YOU!” I shouted through the music.

He shrugged and said “You’ll have to beat me first Soojung, it won’t be easy,” and winked at me. He was so up himself I told myself.
“Rock, paper, scissors!” It was out of 3 and guess who won, that’s right I did.
“Come on Jongin I won! Don’t be a sore loser,” he surrendered to my wishes and we both headed to the dance floor, who knew he could dance.

I remember how Jongin and I would talk about his dream of going to the moon but one miserable day, when the full moon was out and the rain was pouring as if it were crying. I remember the day I lost my best friend and never saw him again. We were 14, full moon, the winds were strong and the rain was nonstop. During the afternoon Jongin was called by Sister Jane, he left sprinting away, you could tell he was excited, I pondered what it was but I eventually found out. That day was Jongin’s last day at Wentworth.

“Jongin darling, it’s time,” Sister Jane said as Jongin and I walked through the halls to play outside.
“Hey Soojung, take my rocket with you. Promise you’ll keep it forever?” I nodded in confusion, “Go ahead, I’ll see you soon okay,” He said as if he would never see me ever again.      

Little did I know, it was the last day we would ever see each other.

The skies seem sad, the wind is howling against the window and the rain is as angry as ever, the moon is the biggest I’ve ever seen, but it seems like it is crying. I crawled into bed wondering where Jongin is, he’s been gone since Sister called him. I turned to face my drawers and saw one of my dolls smiling at me but something was strange… A letter was placed between its arm … it was from Jongin.

To Soojung,

You may have realized why I haven’t been around this whole day and the reason for that is there is no reason for me to stay as a kind family has adopted me. I have known about it for a while now and I didn’t know how to break the news to you because I knew it’d break you and I know writing my reasons down is worse but it was the only way I could and I am truly sorry. My adopted family has kindly let me keep in contact with everyone there so expect to hear from me soon!! It was our dream to be adopted by the same family and now that dream can no longer be fulfilled I am truly sorry, I hope you can forgive me… one day.

Please don’t ever forget me,

Jongin Buenavista.

I lost my one and only best friend that day but we kept in touch. I was told I would be also be adopted the following days of Jongin’s departure and a few weeks later I was in my new family’s car driving away from the home I’ve had for the last 10 years and the memories of me and Jongin.

 

I am now 25, currently volunteering in the orphanage that served as my home for 10 years of my life. Jongin and I have now gone our separate ways of life, last I heard he was studying to become­­­­ an astronaut. Isn’t that great? My adopted family is the best, I grew up visiting Wentworth Orphanage during my holidays from school, and also worked there while on my way to receiving my Bachelor’s in Education.

Days after that rainy night, today is bright and sunny, and the kids are very eager to go down to the river bank and have a picnic which meant everyone had to go. As we walked to down to the river, across the riverbank into the main city, there was someone ready to launch…

“Don’t worry, it’s only a test trial with the rocket, are we ready for blast off?” the control office advised Jongin.

“Count down from 5…”

We were all in a circle ready to eat together…

“4…”

They’re so eager, you could see it in their faces how much they wanted to leave…

“3…”

We finally let them run around while us adults lazy around and relax..

“2… 1… Lift off!” said the man through the mic, and the rocket was off… About 200km into the launch

“Mayday, Mayday, Starship7 is going down, it is going down,” a loud siren was blasting through the main office. Jongin, however was struggling to control the ship, the speed was picking up, faster and faster crashing into a building not far from the riverbank.

I witnessed the rocket crash into the orphanage, my mind was blank, what about the children? Where will they live? “Make sure no one goes back!” I yelled as I ran back to the orphanage just in time to witness a man climb out and limping away further from the rocket. I ran to him just as he fell to the ground, his eyes slowly closing, “Sir! SIR! Wake up!!” No… N-n-no it can’t be... “Jongin…?” I whispered to myself in horror…