Wannabe Cook Jinki

Cook Book Audio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Gosh, why are cooking classes so expensive?!" Jinki yelled out in the library, disrupting the peace.

He was on the computer looking up what to do to become a chef.

"A recipe book costs $10, how can they charge hundreds to teach how to use one?! Wow, the world is unfair." He continued to scroll down until he found a link for a free trial to a cooking e-book.

 

"Learn how to cook the best Korean dishes with easy to follow step by step instructions read aloud to you!"

"Hm. Worth a shot." Jinki created an account and downloaded the free first chapter.

He plugged in his earphones and raised the volume before pressing play.

 

"Hello. My name is Kim Jonghyun. I will be your narrator for Basic Cooking & Easy Recipes." Jinki raised a brow as soon as hthe audio began. The narrator had a light, thin voice that felt soft and somehow comforting. He sounded young, and Jinki could imagine him as a bright yet calm person.

"I like you already, Kim Jonghyun." Jinki hummed, listening intently to what followed.

"We will begin chapter one with knife skills. The techniques you will be learning today are the julienne cut,  the brunoise dice, the batonnet, the paysanne cut, and the chiffonade.”

 

“Oooo~ Fancy words. Sounds nice, Mr. Kim.” He winked at the computer screen, uncaring of the fact that he’s flirting to a voice with no image whatsoever besides the book cover of a carrot on a cutting board.

“You will need an assortment of vegetables suitable for each cut. Feel free to skip to the ‘Recommendations’ page towards the end where there is an in depth explanation of how each vegetable is cut. I personally recommend a pepper. It is versatile and can be used for all of the cuts that will be reviewed in this chapter.”

 

Jinki had completely fallen for the narrator’s voice. The man spoke clearly with great enunciation, and that only added on to his natural comforting tone of voice. Kim Jonghyun was following a script, yet he made his own comments here and there like “Be careful!” in a cute feigned yell and an excited “Here’s the fun part”. His comments revealed a bit about his personality. What Jinki got out of it was that this man was personal. He didn’t like impersonality and wanted to form connections with his listeners, thus speaking in a friendly voice and trying to ease the atmosphere from the mechanical instruction being read out.

 

“Rinse the vegetable thoroughly and place it on the cutting board. Now get a sharp kitchen knife and we can begin practicing the julienne cut. You may pause the audio here while you gather materials.”

"Nah, just keep talking." Jinki talked back as he put his elbow on the table and held his chin up to listen comfortably.

 

Jinki continuously talked back and flirted at the computer. When Kim Jonghyun added in a presumed “Good job!” the cooking wannabe would bat his eyelashes and say “It was nothing, really!” The people in the library were all looking at him like he was crazy. The man was unaware, enjoying his time with the voice of Kim Jonghyun.

 

Jinki ended up in a dream-like trance while listening to all of the first chapter. Jonghyun said, "You have mastered basic knife skills!" and the audio was cut.

“Whoops, no. I did nothing.” He tried to play the book again but the site wouldn’t let him since the free trial is over after playing the first chapter once.

"Own all 10 chapters of this e-book for the special sale price of $19.99....” Jinki read aloud. “Do I really want to pay actual money just to hear more of this angelic voice?...." He pondered on the thought for a moment before deciding, “Yes. It'll benefit my cooking. It's a self investment.” He laughed at himself and got up to go home, grabbing a bite to eat on the way.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter