Letters and Diagon Alley

First Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: The Hogwarts letter contains some information about Kyungsoo's best subjects and his chosen electives. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

 

 

Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over dinner at number 72 of Godric’s Hollow. Do Jinmyun’s room on the top floor had once again been flooded by hundreds of letters, all sealed with red wax and addressed to a Mr. Do Kyungsoo.

“You’re gonna need to read those invitations, boy, and soon!” Jinmyun roared across the table, chopsticks still in hand, “You either go to that school, or you don’t!”

Kyungsoo tried, yet again, to explain.

“It’s not that I don’t want to go, dad,” he said, “But what if I get sorted into Slytherin? Hyung told me that the people in that house are—”

“Why do you have to listen to everything Seungsoo says, huh?” snapped his father, his chopsticks poking and jabbing at Kyungsoo across the table,“That boy didn’t even pass six of his O.W.Ls, what does he know about education?”

Kyungsoo glanced worriedly at his hyung, who sat to his left and was seemingly ignoring his father’s insults, munching on bits of rice.

“Now now, dear, there’s no need to get upset.” said Yoora as she exchanged looks with her irritated husband, “Seungsoo’s doing quite well in school, and five O.W.Ls are enough for him for become a dragonologist, aren’t they?”

“Mhm.” Seungsoo mumbled in affirmation, “Seconds, please.”

“Hooky will get that for you, young master.” muttered the Do family’s house elf, “Do you require any seconds, master Kyungsoo?”

“Ah— no, no it’s okay, thanks, Hooky.” Kyungsoo stuttered nervously.

Hooky nodded, and waddled away into the kitchen.

“Son,” Jinmyun continued, bits of rice dangling from his chin, “There’s no damn need to get worried over something so trivial as school houses.”

“But dad,” said Kyungsoo quickly, “We’ve been Ravenclaws for generations now, right? What if— what if I get sorted into Slytherin, and Merlin’s Beard what if I disgrace my— “

“There’s not a chance that you’re gonna be in Slytherin, boy.” His father said, “Sure, they’re similar to Ravenclaws, but that doesn’t mean you’re gonna be one of them.”

Kyungsoo stared from his red-faced father to his smiling mother, who was helping Hooky as she passed Seungsoo’s — now full— bowl back to him.

“Alright,” said Kyungsoo reluctantly, “Alright…”

“Then, that’s that,” sang Yoora, waving her wand as she levitated some empty plates into the sink, “We leave for Diagon Alley tomorrow morning. Kyungsoo-ah, be a dear and fetch me one of the letters from your father’s room, will you? I’ll be needing the supply list for this year.”

Kyungsoo, in response, stood slowly, his mind still debating on his Slytherin probabilities.

“Well, off you go!” Jinmyun thundered, swishing his chopsticks, “What are you still standing around for?”

Kyungsoo walked hurriedly to the staircase, and began to climb. He had just reached the upstairs landing when he heard a flutter of wings and squawks, followed by what sounded like crinkling paper.

He carefully tiptoed into the master bedroom, for its floors were flooded by beige-coloured letters and there were almost no empty spaces he could step on without crushing a few.

Kyungsoo snatched the one closest to his feet, and rushed down the staircase.

“Here it is, mum.” said Kyungsoo.

“Thank you, darling. Let’s see now,” mumbled Yoora, with a letter each in her hands, “The supplies this year are a bit pricey— but that’s alright, we can make do. Oh, Seungsoo, you’ve decided to take Professor Longbottom’s Herbology class this year?”

“Yeah,” Seungsoo replied, “It’s a required course for dragonologists.”

“Bah, dragons. Why would you even want to raise those— those dangerous things?” Jinmyun muttered under his breath, shoving his round-rimmed glasses further up his nose-bridge.

“But that’s what makes it fun.” argued Seungsoo.

“Quick, mum, what does mine say?” Kyungsoo asked, peeking at the letters in his mother’s hands.

 

Dear Mr. Do Kyungsoo,

 

We are pleased to inform you that, while considering your request, we have come to understand your special case and as you have now turned thirteen years of age and have the necessary talents, you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

You will begin school as a third year, due to your status as a transfer student and "conflicts within Beauxbatons". Please purchase a new wand for easier use, as wands from France do not fare very well here.

 

Term begins on September 1. We await your confirmation owl by no later than August 31.

 

Yours sincerely,

Karkus Kenilworth

Headmaster

 

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

 

Uniform

Third year students will require:

Three sets of plain work robes (black)

One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags

 

Course Books

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 3)

by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic

by Bathilda Bagshot

Near-Advanced Guide to Herbology

by Phyllida Spore

Moste Potente Potions

by Arsenius Jigger

Practical Defense Against the Dark Arts

by Quentin Trimble

 

Personal Advanced/ Elective Course Books

A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration

by Emeric Switch

Extreme Incantations and Charms

by Selina Sapworthy

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

by Newt Scamander

Ancient Runes Made Easy

by Laurenzoo


 

Other Equipment

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 3)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

 

“Oh my, nine textbooks, and seven more for Seungsoo.” Yoora said, sighing, “Looks like we’ll hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter