His Moonlight

No. It's Jungkook; Not Jane.

So this is because of the first picture in this beautiful post of Kore's(check her out, guys, if you can. this woman is ah-maze-ing and soooo many of my stories are sparked by her pix). The picture I'm talking of is, obviously, the green one of Taebaby. Other then that, enjoi? I hope you guys like it beacuse I personally like how this turned out and Sif loves it(I think she loves it mainly because Tae's her bias so she's, well, bias)

Comments, as always, are welcomed with open arms but silent reader are just as loved!


Taehyung stares, head tilted, as the village’s Wanderer talks quickly to two people he’s never seen before. It’s not uncommon to see new faces around the village, it’s a…what did the Wanderer call it? Taehyung’s brows furrow as he tries to remember what the man has said.

Oh. Right. The village is a seaport.

Taehyung shifts, sliding along the branch to move closer to the village’s edge, peering down at the Wanderer curiously as the man shakes his head rapidly at the two new comers. They’re curious to Taehyung, so very pretty, like the flowers the youngers twist into their fur or Taehyung’s hair. His mother always used to tell Taehyung he was too curious to be safe, but Taehyung can’t see the down side of his curiosity as he leaps from the tree he’s on to one closer to the pair. He sees the Wanderer glance at him briefly before refocusing on the two, one of which is talking to the Wanderer in a sharp tone that puts Taehyung on edge. The Wanderer is a good man, he’s the bridge between Taehyung’s family and the village, the only one to bother teaching Taehyung the correct languages of humankind. He’s the only human that has, so far, bothered to learn the languages of the jungle.

Shimming down the tree swiftly, but silently, Taehyung ignores the Wanderer’s look of warning as Taehyung creeps across the branch, watching as the sharp-toned man continues to speak to the Wanderer, leaning lower to be next to the man’s, “Rude.”

“Taehyung!”

Taehyung snickers to himself as the man screams, startled, dropping to the floor and staring at Taehyung in horror; his companion with his mouth wide open as he stares at Taehyung as well.

“What the hell is that?!”

Taehyung tilts his head, dropping to the floor and climbing on top of the fallen man, ignoring the shrieks he’s letting out and the whimpers from his companion, to stare in confusion, “I…do not understand.”

“Get off of him, Taehyung.” The Wanderer shakes his head, lightly pushing at Taehyung’s side to urge the other man off of his prey, “What he said was also rude. As you’ve stated. Now get off of him please.”

Taehyung stares at the man beneath him curiously, head tilting at the look he’s being given, not understanding the look but not feeling any threat from it, looking at the Wanderer intently before giving into his request, backing off of the now silent man. Taehyung watches as the man scrambles to stand, slipping slightly as he backs away from Taehyung into the awaiting open arms of the other stranger, both of them watching Taehyung wearily. Turning to the Wanderer, Taehyung grins, sliding into the Wanderer’s space, immediately wrapping his arms around the man’s neck, pushing their foreheads together, closing his eyes with a nearly silent sigh.

“Namjoon?”

The Wanderer gently removes Taehyung’s arms from around himself, turning to smile at the two, “This is Taehyung. Taehyung this is Jungkook and Jimin.”

“Jungkook and Jimin.” Taehyung furrows his brows, moving his lips to silently repeat the new words to himself before grinning at the pair still staying at a good distance away from Taehyung and Namjoon.

“Again; what the hell is that.”

“Jungkookie! Be nice! It can hear you and I don’t know about you but he looks like he could snap us in half!”

Taehyung crouches, crawling closer, tilting his head when the one that has a nicer voice gasps, pulling the other back again. The Wanderer chuckles and Taehyung stares, crawling closer again, quicker, circling the two in curiosity. Smiling at the Wanderer, Taehyung stands back up, “Jungkook and Jimin.”

“Yes.” The Wanderer nods, smiling at Taehyung softly, with affection, “Jungkook.” He points to the one Taehyung was recently on top of, and then the other, smaller male, “Jimin.”

Taehyung nods, smiling at the two excitedly, “I am Taehyung!”

The one with the sharp tone is giving him the weird look he doesn’t understand again and it reminds Taehyung of the moon, glancing at the other one Taehyung sees him giving a hesitant smile, “Hello, Taehyung.”

“What is…Why are….” Taehyung grunts in annoyance, eyebrows furrowing as he hits the ground with a closed fist, turning to look at the Wanderer sharply, “What do the Moonlight and Sunlight want with the jungle? They don’t look like the usual people that you bring to our home. They have those weird pens and books you’re fond of brining with you to my family. Not those dangerous things the others bring into the jungle.”

Namjoon chuckles to himself at the way Taehyung names people differently in the language of the jungle, knowing most human names don’t translate into his native tongue correctly; Taehyung himself just being called the sound equivalent to the western letter “V”. He looks at the two young men that has asked for his help, smiling at the weirded out looks they’re giving Taehyung, Jimin still holding onto Jungkook tightly, protectively, like Taehyung is going to randomly invade their personal space once more. Not that Namjoon can blame them, Taehyung most likely will. “Moonlight and Sunlight, huh? Wonder which is which.”

“What?” Jungkook snaps, not bothering to remove Jimin’s arms from around him like he usually would, never one to allow someone with the long contact with himself. He doesn’t, though, because the weird, creepy as hell thing is still crouched in front of them, looking between the three of them with what Jungkook can only assume is confused curiosity. Turning back to the still chuckling Namjoon, Jungkook narrows his eyes, “What are you talking about? What moonlight? What sunlight? What the hell is going on? What the hell does-What the hell is it doing?!”

Taehyung stands suddenly, positioning himself defensively, grabbing Namjoon’s arms and shoving him into the two, growling in the direction of the jungle, teeth baring in warning as he watches the movement in the shadows shifting, slinking back and forth in a predator’s pacing. Growling again, Taehyung drops into an offense crouch, “Show yourself!”

“Look at the furless creature. Protecting such a defenseless dinner.” A smooth voice purrs from the shadows, the pacing stopping as glinting green eyes flicker between Taehyung and the three behind him in calculation.

“Muuaji.”-means murderer in Swahili-Taehyung growls back in contempt, hearing the Wanderer whisper the name in the human language, in a breath.

“Mewahge?” Jimin whispers in confusion, tensing when Namjoon whips his head around with a glare a hiss of silence leaving his tightly pressed lips. Tightening his grip on Jungkook Jimin takes a few steps back, abruptly stopping when Taehyung growls loudly, the sound sending chills through his body, Jungkook shuddering in his arms, the younger’s fingers clasping around Jimin’s arms in a silent request to stay.

Jungkook frowns, watching as the weird man hits the ground once more, fist closed, teeth bared in what Jungkook is assuming is a warning to whatever he’s having a staring contest with in the shadowed jungle. Jungkook doesn’t think he wants to know what it is, not with the way the man is tensing and trying to hide the three of them with his slimmer, though more built, body.

“Leave! You’re not welcomed here!” Taehyung snarls, desperately wishing Muuaji leaves with the threat in his voice alone, knowing he hasn’t thought to bring his weapon with him from his home, not expecting to need it in the Wanderer’s village. He should’ve known the new smells in the jungle wouldn’t only attract his curiosity.

“I think not.”

Taehyung grunts in surprise when the leopard leaps from his hidden perch, instantly charging around Taehyung to try and approach the more vulnerable humans. Growling at the obvious show of disrespect, Taehyung swiftly grabs Muuaji’s tail, ignoring the terrified screams of the two Lights, knowing the Wanderer will handle them as he deals with Muuaji.

The leopard turns towards Taehyung, swiping at the bare skin of his torso, Taehyung moving away enough for the claws to just scratch lightly against his skin, avoiding the maiming with sheer reflex. The two circle each other, teeth bared and snarling at one another. Muuaji lunges forward once more, teeth snapping at Taehyung’s face, growling at the arm Taehyung presses into his throat, thrashing about when legs wrap around him.

Taehyung rocks the two of them, hissing at the way Muuaji’s back claw sinks into his legs as he rolls them over, pressing down with the arm on Muuaji’s neck, clutching the knife the Wanderer tosses carefully to the ground near the pair. As he reaches for the weapon Muuaji digs his front claw into Taehyung’s arms, standing swiftly as Taehyung rakes the knife down the leopard’s right front leg, hissing in pain as the furless creature tears the flesh of his paw open.

A single shot has Muuaji bolting into jungle’s underbrush, Taehyung huffing as he stands, grunting in annoyance when he turns around and sees the Moonlight has shot into the air warningly. Taehyung marches up to the man, still encased within the arms of the smaller, growling in his face and tearing the gun from him, slamming it onto the ground with enough force to shattered the handle and bend the barrel. “Not. Allowed.”

Jungkook shivers at the enraged look in Taehyung’s eyes, wearily glancing at the blood seeping out of the two areas the leopard had managed to wound, backing more into Jimin’s embrace, eyes flicking over to a pensively watching Namjoon in desperate confusion.

Namjoon clears his throat, stepping carefully up to Taehyung, “They’re here to see the Caverns. I was hoping you could help us.”

Taehyung stares at the Moonlight indecisively, glower slowly leaving his face as he recognizes and accepts the submission being shown from him, stare becoming curious once more as he shifts to look at the other more closely before nodding with a grin, “You have my acceptance. You cannot interfere with the matters of the claiming fight, Jungkook. It is against the laws.”

Jungkook, who had been watching Namjoon and Taehyung’s curious exchange in fascination, startles at being directly addressed by Taehyung, face flushing as he realizes they are still impossibly close to one another, despite the barrier of Jimin’s arms. Nodding hesitantly as the words slowly process in his mind. Jungkook wasn’t trying to go against whatever the norm is in the jungle, honestly he was just terrified and, besides, Namjoon stopped him from shooting at the leopard, pushing his arm up in the last second to shoot into the air instead. Darting his eyes to Namjoon, looking Taehyung in the eye before lowering his gaze instinctively, “I understand.”

Jimin releases Jungkook from his arms, watching the way Taehyung inspects the younger’s face as he silently makes his way over to Namjoon’s side, “So, this is the guide you were speaking of earlier, I assume?”

Namjoon smiles, watching in amusement as Taehyung places both of his hands on Jungkook’s cheeks, lifting the young male’s face up and moving it left and right as he gazes in a soft curiosity. “Yes. Taehyung is the guide I was talking about. The one that Jungkook was adamant that we wouldn’t need. You see now that is a lie. We’d definitely need his help. Aside from that, though, this is his home. These jungles. I’m welcomed to walk freely in the jungle because of Taehyung. People that come to explore must always be accompanied by myself and him, if they don’t want to go missing. The jungle is a harsh place, Taehyung has a remarkable standing here. He’s unnecessarily kind to all creatures, offering his protection to all if they ask, being a complete bridge to them for us at the village. We treat each other with respect. Do you understand?”

Jimin nods, eyes never leaving the fascination Taehyung is exuding in his exploration of Jungkook, now pulling the younger’s sketchpad from the bag slung over his shoulder, flipping through the pages as Jungkook watches on anxiously, eyes darting from Taehyung to Namjoon and Jimin. “I do.”

-----

“You stay where I can see. If I cannot see you, I cannot protect you. If I cannot protect you, you will die. I do not want for this to happen.” Taehyung explains to the two Lights, staring them down until they nod their heads in agreement. “Okay. Stay close.”

Jungkook watches as Namjoon and Jimin start up a quiet conversation, falling slightly behind Taehyung as they start walking through a somewhat beaten trail, wondering briefly if the jungle is explored daily by Namjoon as the older doesn’t falter in his stepping over roots and under branches as he talks with Jimin.

“He visits my family for…two weeks every two weeks.”

Jungkook startles at the voice suddenly right next to him, looking at Taehyung with huge eyes, “W-What?”

“The Wanderer. He stays with my family. He is part of my family and my family is part of him.” Taehyung grins, leaning closer to Jungkook, “You are very pretty, Jungkook.”

“Wh-What?! That’s-I’m not.” Jungkook can feel his face turning red as Taehyung leans in closer, wondering frantically if the man even knows what his actions and words are implying.

“Why are you going to the Caverns? What is it you want with them?” Taehyung murmurs, eyes never leaving Jungkook’s as he grabs the slightly smaller male’s hand to help him over a fallen tree.

Jungkook looks at the hand holding his own, biting his bottom lip slightly, “I want to sketch the underground waterfall of the Caverns. There’s talk of them everywhere in the university’s library but not very many depictions.”

Furrowing his brows, Taehyung tries to understand the words that have been spoken to him, growling in annoyance when he can’t remember their meanings, dropping Jungkook’s hand and turning away from him to continue onwards without a word.

Jungkook frowns at the loss of contact, not understanding the reason why he’s upset with the feeling of loss or the reason why Taehyung has suddenly shied away from him and their conversation. Taehyung has hung around the village for the past two days, never once leaving Jungkook’s side, asking endless questions that Namjoon and Jimin found amusing as Jungkook struggled to answer. Jungkook was very-and may still be-weary of Taehyung’s presence and Jungkook’s own need to satisfy the other’s insatiable curiosity. Namjoon has told him, once when Taehyung was occupied elsewhere, that Taehyung has endless questions and usually more questions lead to even more questions. He advised Jungkook to use the more basic ways of speaking to Taehyung, because, while Taehyung knows and understands very well the language of humans; some words are still beyond his reach.

And, oh. That makes sense. Taehyung brushing their conversation aside, “Taehyung?” Taehyung glances at him quickly, grunting at Jungkook and Jungkook takes that as a signal to continue. Hiding a smile, Jungkook opens his bag, pulling his sketchbook out, and staring at the drawing he’s done of a recently napping Taehyung, brushing aside the flustering feeling the picture brings, “I want to draw the waterfall in my book. My school has a lot of books that talk about how nice the waterfall is but there are no drawings there. I would like to draw it myself, if I can.”

Taehyung stares at Jungkook intensely, brows furrowing as he takes in the new words, face smoothing out into a soft smile as Taehyung reaches out to gently touch the skin around Jungkook’s eyes, happy with the simple ability to freely touch. In the few days the humans used in the village to get ready for their journey, Taehyung had glued himself to Jungkook’s side, asking question after question just to hear the Moonlight’s soft voice as he replies. Taehyung will admit that he has a very deep fascination of the other. He is a soft human but has very expressive eyes that Taehyung will say he likes the best, likes it better when they stare at Taehyung, whether it been fascination or curiosity or confusion or anything else that Taehyung can’t understand as a human based emotion. “Thank you.”

Jungkook curses under his breath as he feels the heat raising on his face, knowing he’s blushing and thanking god that Taehyung doesn’t know the meaning of blushes. He’d hate to explain the reason his face has started becoming red whenever Taehyung invades his personal space and he really, really doesn’t want to explore the reason his heart speeds up whenever he catches himself watching Taehyung hop around the village, muscles moving and flexing under his tanned skin.

“It’s getting dark, Taehyung.” Namjoon interrupts whatever moment they were having, nudging Taehyung gently, and giving Jungkook a slight smirk, eyes knowing.

Taehyung stares upwards with a frown, wondering where the day has gone, nodding his head in agreement, “There is a cave near. We will stay there for the night.”

“In a cave? Is…is that safe, Taehyung? Namjoon?” Jimin wonders out loud, eyes darting around the forest as the he moves closer to the other three nervously.

Taehyung nods, “It is safe when I am here. Do not worry, Jimin. I will not let anything hurt you. You have my word.”

Jimin and Jungkook share a look, silently communicating in the way only brothers can do before Jimin’s shoulders droop as he pouts his consent. “Okay then. Lead the way.”

Jungkook lags behind with Jimin, lacing his fingers with the older male, knowing the thought of being here, in the jungle, so far from home, is so disconcerting for him. Jimin hadn’t even wanted to come, going along only because Jungkook didn’t want to go alone. Jimin would rather be back home safe tucked against his fiancé, instead of following a Wildman through a rapidly darkening jungle, the feeling of multiple eyes following their journey. Jungkook can’t fault him for that, the jungle is becoming increasingly scarier as the light lessens, but Jungkook has an unexplainable trust in Taehyung’s ability to protect them.

“We’re here. Hurry, go inside. I’ll start a fire for us to keep warm, if you don’t mind Taehyung?” Namjoon questions, pulling throw blanket from his pack on his shoulder, Jimin mimicking his action.

Taehyung shakes his head, eyes moving over the three of them before settling on Jungkook as he snuggles in next to Jimin, the older man covering the two with the blanket, “I do not mind. It will be cold tonight. Caves are not meant to be warm.”

Jungkook watches as Namjoon starts work on the fire, reassuring a weary Jimin that Taehyung will make sure no one catches on fire in the middle of the night, the man’s instincts sharp as ever. Allowing his eyes to wander over to Taehyung, Jungkook startles, flushing red when he sees Taehyung staring at him with such an intensity.

“Sleep, Jungkook. We will continue tomorrow morning when the light returns.” Taehyung gives Jungkook a soft look, making his way over to caress Jungkook’s hair, then Jimin’s, being fond of the older male as well(though not nearly as fond as he is of Jungkook), before settling against Namjoon when the man leans against the cave’s wall.

-----

“Ow, ow, ow.” Jungkook hisses, nose scrunching up as he forces his eyes open, looking around to see where he is. The last thing he remembers is Jimin’s wide eyes, Namjoon’s low voice calling his name and Taehyung’s arms around him. With a gasp Jungkook tries to sit up, crying out in pain when the muscles in his arms and back protest. Looking at his arms Jungkook winces at the angry red marks littering his skin, burns and cuts decorating the majority if his flesh.

“Don’t move, Moonlight. You’re hurt.”

Jungkook whips around at the low grunting noise, clenching his teeth at the pain it causes, staring at the man next to him, sighing in relief at seeing a somewhat familiar face. “Taehyung. Where-where are we?”

Taehyung stares at Jungkook, head tilted slightly, eyebrows furrowed as he replays Jungkook’s words through his head, trying to process the meaning of them, frowning when his head starts to pound. With a sigh Taehyung closes his eyes, angry at himself for not being able to focus on the human language without causing himself more pain. “Moonlight.”

Jungkook frowns in concern when Taehyung continues to speak in what Namjoon has explained is Taehyung’s native tongue, the language of the jungle. Ignoring the pain he feels, hissing slightly, Jungkook pushes himself up, crawling over to Taehyung as the man’s eyes snap open, lips pulled down as he watches Jungkook unhappily. But not moving to stop him, Jungkook notices, concern deepening. “Taehyung, are you okay?”

Taehyung watches Jungkook’s mouth move, hears the other’s voice, but not processing the words correctly. Grunting in annoyance, Taehyung shakes his head, automatically letting out a low keen at the pain bouncing around his head. He flinches slightly as Jungkook brings a hand up to touch the side of his head, growling low in his throat as the pressure of soft fingertips intensifies the sharp stinging feeling, hand snapping up to gently encircle Jungkook’s wrist, pulling his hand away from. “Don’t, Moonlight. That hurts.”

Jungkook pouts at Taehyung, lowering the hand that Taehyung has in his hold, “I-I can’t understand you, Taehyung. I don’t know what you’re trying to say to me. But you’re bleeding from your head…it might…” Jungkook lets the sentence trail off as Taehyung just continues to stare at him with blank yet sharp eyes, knowing he’s not getting through to Taehyung with his words. He thinks that with Taehyung’s head injured, it might be too much for Taehyung to concentrate on, the human language, something Namjoon says take longer for Taehyung to process on any regular day. With a soft sigh of aggravation Jungkook sits down next to Taehyung, a breath of relief at being stationary escaping his lips as he settles, muscle going lax.

Taehyung continues watching Jungkook’s every move, making sure that he’s okay, despite the numerous wounds decorating everywhere he can see of his Moonlight. He heard the ground of the Cavern shift as they were walking earlier, already having told the Wanderer and the Lights to be careful with their stepping. When he felt the ground weaken, seeing Jungkook falling, Taehyung had acted on instinct, grabbing Jungkook and wrapping around him, hoping to lessen the younger’s injuries. He sees he’s succeeded the most he could have, Jungkook being in one piece. Banged up and slightly bleeding still but Taehyung can feel that he’s in worse condition than Jungkook is, something he’s happy for.

“Taehyung. What are we going to do?” Sighing, Jungkook leans on Taehyung’s shoulders, ignoring the initial tensing, just wanting to have the comfort of another person right now, even if said person is the complete opposite of his idea of normal.

Taehyung stares down at Jungkook’s hair curiously, “We need to move. We can’t stay here.”

Jungkook sighs, aggravated at the language barrier, sitting up and turning towards Taehyung sharply, glaring into Taehyung’s wide eyes, “Taehyung.”

Taehyung frowns, the throbbing in his head getting continuously worse as he tries desperately to recall the words the Wanderer has taught him, grunting in anger when he can’t. Instead he grabs Jungkook’s hand, uncurling the fisted fingers and guiding Jungkook to reach up to the previous touch, staring at Jungkook silently as he places Jungkook’s hand on the side of his head, pressing to let him know the okay pressure.

Jungkook stares at his hand then into Taehyung’s eyes, grimacing at the blood he can feel along Taehyung’s hairline, looking at Taehyung questioningly as he hesitantly moves his hand lower, eyes seeking permission to continue exploring. Not seeing any protests in Taehyung’s shadowed features Jungkook lowers his hand, bringing the other up to explore the mirrored side, hands going down the other’s arms, wincing at the amount of open skin and blood he can feel. Along Taehyung’s arms as well as his chest, Jungkook can feel the cuts and bumps from their fall from…wherever they’ve fallen from. He feels increasingly guilty with each wound, knowing that Taehyung had gotten them by shielding him on their way down. As Jungkook reaches Taehyung’s legs he can feel limited cuts and bumps, wondering if Taehyung will be able to stand so they can, hopefully, find Jimin and Namjoon.

Taehyung watches Jungkook intently as the other explores his body in, what Taehyung assumes is, assessment; much like his mother would whenever he’s played a little too hard with the others. When Jungkook stops on his legs Taehyung meets his eyes before slowly looking back at Jungkook’s hand on his leg, head tilted, startling when Jungkook takes his hand in his own, “Moonlight?”

Jungkook moves Taehyung’s hand to his own face, eyes imploring Taehyung, smile briefly when Taehyung touches his other hand to his face freely, examining Jungkook in the same way, frowning slightly when Jungkook whimpers when he touches his back. Putting a bit more pressure to make certain, Taehyung croons softly when Jungkook instinctively latches onto him when it hurts too much. Still softly cooing Taehyung presses lower, trying to determine if Jungkook is able to walk or not, frowning deeply when Jungkook hisses, the salty smell of tears filling the air. Pulling back Taehyung frowns at Jungkook, “You can’t walk like this, Moonlight.”

Jungkook breathes deep gasps of air, trying to will the pain in his lower back away. He doesn’t understand, he was completely fine crawling the two feet needed to be next to Taehyung but as soon as Taehyung presses a bit too hard it’s like his entirely lower body is on fire. What the hell. Biting his lower lips Jungkook stares at Taehyung through wet lashes, trying to convey the pain he’s in and hoping that Taehyung understands. He thinks Taehyung gets it when Taehyung presses their foreheads together, eyes closed, that soft cooing sound still leaving him as Taehyung runs gentler hands along his sides.

Taehyung pulls away, sniffing the air slightly, squinting to their left as the faint trace of water comes floating over from that direction. Staring down at Jungkook as the other tries to catch his breath Taehyung wraps his arms around the youngers slighter frame, standing up with Jungkook, shifting to hold him with one arm as Jungkook yelps, grunting as he moves Jungkook’s arms around his neck, “Hold tight, Moonlight. I don’t want to drop you.”

Jungkook suppresses a yelp as Taehyung hoists him up higher, hands going around Taehyung’s neck to stabilize himself. Taehyung looks at him with what Jungkook swears is amusement and Jungkook flushes red when he realizes how close they are. He can just imagine Jimin’s teasing now and Jungkook is suddenly happy the elder isn’t present. For one he definitely doesn’t want Jimin to get hurt but more so he doesn’t want his older brother to mock him for his maybe crush he might be developing on this jungle raised gorgeous man. Because Jimin would. That jerk.

“Moonlight?”

Jungkook huffs laughingly, coming to realize that those particular sounds, noise, grunts, whatever, are Taehyung’s way of addressing him, “I can’t understand you, Taehyung. There’s no point in us trying to communicate when your head is injured so badly.”

Taehyung stares at Jungkook’s lips as he talks, trying to concentrate once more on the words leaving them, head throbbing more and Taehyung growls viciously, tearing his gaze away from Jungkook in anger. He hasn’t felt this out of place since the Wanderer stumbled upon Taehyung’s family group.

Jungkook frowns at the look on Taehyung’s face, understanding his irritation and wishing he knew the Language of the Jungle so that he could communicate with him without worry. Maybe, when they’re better and they’ve found Namjoon and Jimin, Taehyung and Namjoon will teach him…

“Hey.” Jungkook gently touches Taehyung’s cheek, smiling softly when Taehyung looks down on him as they start off into a direction Jungkook can’t see, “It’s okay, Taehyung. I trust you.”

Taehyung tilts his head at Jungkook, studying his features before bending his neck to nuzzle against Jungkook softly, “I will keep you safe, Moonlight.”

-----

Baring his teeth, Taehyung huddles Jungkook closer to himself as he stares at the glowing eyes in the shadows, a warning growl rumbling deeply within his throat as Jungkook latches onto him tightly, body quivering in slight fear.

“Kidogotumbili?”-means little monkey-

Taehyung sags in relief at the familiar voice, “Usiku!-means night-Can you help us? We’ve lost the second part of our group.”

“The second part? The Wanderer and the other one like you and this one?”

Jungkook trembles in Taehyung’s arms as the two go back-and-forth with their noise, their speaking. Jungkook doesn’t understand what is being said or what is going on, “Taehyung?”

Taehyung glances at him with a small smile, “It is my friend. Not dangerous. She will not hurt us. I will see if she will help us.”

“What is she?” Jungkook wonders, staring into the darkness, the glowing eyes moving over to him as he speaks, the glassy look sending shivers down his spine.

“I do not know what humans would call her. But her name is Usiku. Let me ask her if she will help us.” Taehyung shifts his grip on Jungkook, looking back at Usiku as she focuses on him once more, “Yes. The Wanderer and the other. The Sunlight is the Moonlight’s brother. Have you seen them?”

“I have heard them, not seen them.”

“Can you take us there? Moonlight is injured and the Wanderer will be better at treating him than I will.” Taehyung confesses, looking at Jungkook with a slightly worried frown, pulling him closer to him body and nuzzling his temple when he presses too hard on Jungkook’s back, causing the younger to whimper quietly.

“I will help, yes of course. How has he been injured? Were you attacked?” Usiku wonders, hopping from her perch and landing on Jungkook effortlessly, chittering softly when he lets out a squeak of surprise. She scrambles up the fabric of Jungkook’s shirt, tiny paws catching the neckline as huge eyes peer into his own, head tilting as he stares back.

“Oh! She’s a Bush Baby…I didn’t think they lived in places like this. I thought they lived in trees and stuff.” Jungkook stares at the Usiku curiously, giggling softly as she puts her paws on his chin, still staring at him.

“Bush Baby…” Taehyung mimics the words, lips pressing into a line, “She does not live in a bush and she is not a baby.”

Jungkook looks away from Usiku to Taehyung, rolling his eyes fondly, “It’s just a name. Not what she necessarily is.”

“I see…” Taehyung still doesn’t think that he’ll ever understand the way humans label his kind, “No. We weren’t attacked. We were on a higher level of the Caverns and the floor gave in. We fell through.”

“Are you alright? He seems okay for the most part. Lots of open cuts and burns, probably from the fall. You have a few as well, though you’re used to falling down, if I remember.”

“Hey! I was a lot younger then! And, yes. I’m fine. You’re right. The falling isn’t that odd for me. He’s okay because I protected him.” Taehyung smiles softly as Usiku wraps her tail around Jungkook’s neck, settling on his shoulder, leaning onto Taehyung’s arms holding Jungkook.

“I understand. You must always protect your mate, Kidogotumbili. Remember that.”

Taehyung almost drops Jungkook and Usiku, eyes going wide, “He is not my mate, Usiku! He’s only been in the jungle for four moons!”

“If you say so. Go left. There’s a pathway that’s sturdy for your two-legged walking. It’ll lead you to the falling water, we can see if-”

“That’s where we’re supposed to be going. Moonlight wanted to see them.”

“Moonlight wanted to see them. But he’s not your mate. You agree to take him to one of the few untouched places still in the jungle, protect him from dying even. But he’s not your mate.”

“Usiku.” Taehyung growls, grip on Jungkook tightening before he immediately relents when Jungkook whimpers in pain at the treatment, crooning softly again to him, “Take us to the falling water and then will you go find the Wanderer and lead him and the Sunlight to the falling water?”

“I can do that, yes. For you, Kidogotumbili, I will.” Usiku chitters softly, nuzzling against Jungkook’s neck as she closes her eyes. “Be weary. The path is somewhat steep.”

“Thank you, Usiku. Sleep now. I will wake you when I need you again.” Taehyung looks at her quickly, glancing at Jungkook before looking ahead once more, “She has told me of a path to the waterfalls. When we get there she will go find the Wanderer and Jimin and bring them to us. We will rest there until the Wanderer can come help heal you. Then you may…draw the waterfall.”

“Thank you, Taehyung.”

----

“Oh my gods! Jungkookie!” Jimin automatically latches onto the sitting figure, pulling back when Jungkook hisses in pain, face full of concern as his hands flutter all over Jungkook’s body, “Are you okay? Are you hurt? Is anything broken? What about-”

“I’m fine! I’m okay. Taehyung protected me when we fell, I just landed wrong and I think I pulled something in my back. Namjoon can you look at it for me?” Jungkook promises, allowing Jimin to pull him into his arms, not bothering trying to escape his older brother’s smothering, knowing no good will come of it.

“Sure.” Namjoon replies easily sliding onto the ground next to Jungkook, pushing Taehyung slightly, “Can I get behind him, Taehyung?”

Jungkook looks over his shoulder at Taehyung questioningly, eyebrows raised when he sees the other has his teeth bared at Namjoon, body tense. Jungkook furrows his brows, not understanding the sudden hostility, “Taehyung?”

“He’s not going to hurt him, Kidogotumbili. You asked me to ask him to help Moonlight. Let him help your mate.” Usiku snaps, tail curling around Namjoon’s neck as her eyes narrow at Taehyung until he relaxes, slinking away from the trio, gently taking Usiku from Namjoon’s shaking shoulders.

Namjoon grins widely, eyeing Taehyung as he settles nearby with Usiku on his arm, “Mate, huh? When did that happen?”

“He’s not my mate!” Taehyung growls, eyes flashing dangerously, “I’ve told her he isn’t. She’s being ridiculous.”

“If you say so.” Namjoon smiles, gently pushing Jungkook more into Jimin’s hold, lifting his shirt slightly, in a breath at the bruising already forming on his lower back, “Jeez. Thank gaia Taehyung was there to protect you. I can’t even imagine what you’d look like if he wasn’t there to be your shield.”

“Broken.” Taehyung mutters, rubbing cheeks with Usiku, smiling when she lets out a chittering purr.

Namjoon sighs when Jimin’s eyes bug out, turning to look at Taehyung flatly. “Yes. Thank you.”

Taehyung nods seriously, “You are welcome.”

“Thank you, Taehyung.” Jimin whispers, eyeing the cuts, bruises and burns littering the expanse of Taehyung’s body, locking eyes with the man, “Really. Thank you. I think we all know he’d be a little more than broken.”

Placing Usiku on his shoulder Taehyung crawls over to Jimin, leaning into his space, placing his forehead on Jimin’s, hand on his chest, “You are welcome, Jimin. I do not want Jungkook to be more than broken.”

Jimin studies his eyes intently, the deepness of them scaring him slightly, seeing the truth in them before closing his own with a smile, “I don’t want that either.”

Jungkook stares at them through narrowed eyes, an uncomfortable stinging filling his chest the longer he stares. It’s unsettling, the urge to forcibly separate them. Jimin is his happily, stupidly, crazily in love brother engaged to a man that makes Jimin smile wider than Jungkook has ever seen and Taehyung is a man he’s only known for five days. They’re barely acquaintances! Albeit, Taehyung is a very handsome and oddly charming acquaintance, which happens to be a completely wild human being…

“I don’t think the Moonlight likes you being so close with the Sunlight.” Namjoon grunts outs as he covers the bruise on Jungkook’s back in a white paste, glancing briefly at Taehyung, smirking when the other looks back at him in confusion. “Regular humans don’t usually get that close to one another if cdcthey’re not mates.”

Taehyung looks at him questioningly, tilting his head in confusion as his eyes shift to Jungkook still watching them, Taehyung startling at the hostility in his gaze, looking back a Jimin examiningly, confused with the grin on Jimin’s face as he looks at Jungkook, “I don’t understand why he’s upset but the Sunlight isn’t my mate and if makes them uncomfortable than I’ll try not to do it anymore.”

“I think what the Wanderer means, Kidogotumbili, is that your mate doesn’t like it when you do that with his brother instead of him.” Usiku chitters happily, jumping from Taehyung’s shoulder onto Jimin’s, tilting her head to examine the wide-eyed man, nuzzling his neck slightly before climbing up his hair to settle comfortably on his head.

Taehyung grunts in protest, beating his chest lightly before turning away from them, “Not. My. Mate!”

-----

“Wow!” Jungkook breathes, staring at the light glowing pond at the base of the beautifully flowing waterfall. The books in the library do nothing to describe the beauty of the rare, untouched-by-humans waterfall. The waterfall itself is completely breathtaking but the light of the pond and the small broken cave top, moonlight shining through strongly and directly on the rushing water is overwhelming to look at. Turning to Taehyung with a wide smile, Jungkook throws his arms around him in a quick hug, eyes watering slightly, “Thank you, Taehyung!”

Taehyung stands stiffly, eyes widening as he looks at Namjoon for help, not understanding what Jungkook is doing. Usually when Taehyung is grabbed like that it’s a prelude to a fight. He doesn’t think Jungkook is asking for a fight, though. Even if he was Taehyung would refuse. Not only is Taehyung immensely stronger than Jungkook, Taehyung would never intentionally hurt his Moonlight, not if he can help it.

“It’s a hug, Taehyung. It’s what proper humans do when they’re excited or happy or filled with good emotions.” Jimin smiles, answering Taehyung’s panicky, unasked question in Namjoon’s place, the man biting his hand to keep from laughing at the lost look on Taehyung’s face. “It means he’s happy and wants to share his happiness with you. Which is not fair because he never hugs me.”

Taehyung stares at Jimin, eyes narrowing in thought before he looks back at Jungkook, head tilting as he stares. Taehyung brings a hand up to Jungkook’s face, brushing his roughened fingers across Jungkook’s cheek, wiping away the water there, smiling softly, crooning gently as he nuzzle against Jungkook’s cheek and temple, his other hand going to cover Jungkook’s erratic heartbeat, “I am happy you are happy, Jungkook.”

Jungkook flushes, staring Taehyung in the eye, “I-”

Namjoon laughing breaks whatever trance Jungkook is in, the younger pushing away from Taehyung’s hold, rushing to Jimin’s side and dragging his elder brother closer to the waterfall. Shoving a snickering Jimin on the floor Jungkook glance over to Taehyung and Namjoon as he plops down next to Jimin, pulling his notebook out mindlessly. He turns even more red when he sees Taehyung staring after him.

“Jungkookie.”

Whipping around Jungkook stares at Jimin with wide eyes, “Y-yes?”

Jimin smiles gently at his little brother, bringing a hand up to ruffle his hair, “He’s pretty cute right? Taehyung, I mean.”

“Wh-what?” Jungkook flinches at how high pitched his voice has come out, glancing briefly out of the corner of his eye when he sees Taehyung’s head whip in their direction, eyes burning holes into the side of Jungkook’s face, “He-he’s, I mean…”

“It’s okay to think so, Kookie. He is. He’s a bit….different from what I’d expect you to fall for but-”

“I haven’t fallen for anybody!” Jungkook whines, bringing his legs to his chest to bury his face into his knees, sketchpad crinkling against his body before he hisses, quickly dropping his legs as pain shoots up his back. “Ow.”

“Are you alright, Jungkook?”

Jumping slightly at the deep voice suddenly so close, Jungkook looks to his left, recoiling slightly at how close Taehyung is crouched next to him, one of Taehyung’s hands on the ground between Jungkook’s slightly spread legs, the other gently running along Jungkook’s bruised back. Swallowing Jungkook nods, “Y-Yes. I’m okay. I just sat down wrong.”

Taehyung stares at him a bit longer, nodding slowly and leaning forward to nuzzle Jungkook’s hair before slinking away and back to where Namjoon is watching curiously. “How long will Moonlight be in pain, Wanderer?”

Namjoon raises an eyebrow, glancing quickly to the pair sitting away from them, smiling lightly as he sees Jungkook batting away Jimin’s hands pinching his red cheeks. Turning back to a staring Taehyung Namjoon shrugs, “It depends on his body and how quickly it heals.”

“I don’t like it when he’s in pain.” Taehyung frowns and on any normal person Namjoon would call it a pout but Taehyung is not normal and Namjoon is pretty sure he doesn’t know how to pout.

Namjoon nods, “Most people don’t like when their mates are hurt. That’s a very human thought process.”

“He’s not…not my…” Taehyung frowns more, looking over at Jungkook again, before turning to Namjoon with an unreadable look, “Do you think he’d actually care for someone like me?”

Namjoon froze with his wide eyes trained on Taehyung, “Oh. You…I…I think so. I think he can. Will you ask that of him, given the chance?”

Taehyung looks over at Jungkook and Jimin, watching curiously as Jungkook repeatedly whacks Jimin with his sketchpad, “Yes.”

-----

“Jungkook.” Taehyung doesn’t look away from the moon peeking through the crack in the Cavern’s roof, inhaling Jungkook’s scent as the younger approaches him from behind, enjoying the hint of jungle mixing with Jungkook’s natural smell.

“Why are you all the way up here, Taehyung?” Jungkook wonders, alarmingly used to Taehyung knowing that Jungkook is behind him without any sound from Jungkook or glance from Taehyung. Jungkook examines Taehyung’s profile as he sits next to the other on the rocky edge overlooking the waterfall and area their group has settled in for the past three days, Jungkook reluctant to leave until he’s captured every angle of the waterfall and surrounding pond in his sketchbook, willing to use every available page. Jungkook tears his eyes away from Taehyung to glance down from their perch, quickly deciding that it’s much easy and less queasy to stare at Taehyung instead of the very far ground below. He’s suddenly glad that Taehyung is with him, knowing instinctively that Taehyung wouldn’t let him fall. Or, well. He hopes so. Very much, actually.

“I am thinking, Jungkook.” Taehyung whispers quietly after thinking of Jungkook’s question for a silent minute, still looking at the endless stream of moonlight.

Jungkook bites his bottom lip at the answer, wishing Taehyung would look at him instead of just responding to his presence. “Do you want me to leave?”

Taehyung turns to Jungkook then, studying him with such an intensity that Jungkook has to suppress a shudder, forcing himself to keep his eyes locked with Taehyung’s. Turning completely towards the other, Taehyung reaches out to lightly brush his fingers up the column of Jungkook’s neck, leaning his forehead on the younger’s shoulder, nuzzling softly as his eyes close, letting the younger male’s heartbeat and breathing ease his racing mind and allowing his own body to curl protectively around Jungkook’s slightly smaller frame.

Jungkook peers at Taehyung’s calm face out of the corner of his eye, watching him get more comfortable on his shoulder, a soft smile settling on his lips as he cautiously reaches for Taehyung’s hand laying across his lap, “Taehyung?”

Abruptly Taehyung takes his hand from Jungkook’s loose grip, wrapping the younger in his arms, shoving his nose in Jungkook’s neck, “I do not want you to leave, Jungkook.”

Jungkook freezes, looking back over the ledge, watching Jimin play with Usiku by the pond’s edge and Namjoon writing swiftly in a tattered notebook, allowing Taehyung to stay wrapped around his body, wondering about the other’s tone and choice of words. Is he just replying to Jungkook’s earlier question or is there a deeper meaning to Taehyung’s words? And, what is it that Jungkook wanted the meaning to be?

-----

“Jungkook, come over please.” Taehyung calls, grinning widely as he stares up into the jungle’s canopy, waving over the younger excitedly.

Jungkook smiles briefly at a pouting Jimin, the two of them in the middle of a conversation before jogging over to where Taehyung has wandered away from their path, crouching down next to him, “Yes, Taehyung?”

Taehyung looks at him and Jungkook flushes at the excitement dancing in his eyes, heart racing as he remembers their closeness the night before. Jungkook shakes his head at the thoughts, focusing on Taehyung as he looks back at him, “You like to…draw, pretty things?”

Jungkook considers the words and Taehyung’s excitement, nodding slowly, “Yes. I like to draw things that are pretty.”

Taehyung stands with a happy grunt, grabbing Jungkook’s hands to drag him up as well, directing him behind Taehyung and his hands to wrap around his torso, “Hold onto me. I want to show you.”

Jungkook glances over to Namjoon and Jimin, grinning when Namjoon waves him onwards, “Hold on tight, Jungkook. You can wrap your arms around his neck or his chest and your legs around his waist. Just don’t get in the way of his arms or legs when they move or you can both get hurt, okay?”

Jungkook nods, standing on his tiptoes to wrap his arms around Taehyung’s neck, careful to keep them from leaning on too much on his shoulders, yelping when Taehyung gets impatient, reaching behind and grabbing Jungkook by his thighs, hoisting him up easily. Tightening his arm’s grip, Jungkook clenches his thighs, not sure if he should cross his legs or not. His body answers the question for him, legs wrapping around Taehyung’s waist instinctively, eyes snapping shut, in a surprised breath as Taehyung jumps onto a nearby tree, effortlessly climbing, hopping from branch to vine back to branch, undeterred by Jungkook’s extra weight. Jungkook forces his eyes open as he feels Taehyung slow down in his frantic climbing, gently walking them along the interwoven branches of the jungle’s canopy. “Where are you taking me, Taehyung?”

Taehyung grunts excitedly again, reaching up to grab a somewhat thinner, though still solid, branch, pulling the two of them up and over, “Surprise.”

Jungkook smiles, glad again that Taehyung doesn’t understand the meaning of blushes and that he can’t see Jungkook’s face even if he did understand them. Taehyung has been a bit odd since their…cuddling on the ledge the previous night. After they’d sat in silence for a while, Taehyung had let Jungkook go, offering Jungkook help down form the ledge, sitting near Jungkook when they were getting ready to sleep and being in the same spot when Jungkook had woken up. Jungkook had been happy, excited at Taehyung’s attention, but then Taehyung stopped acknowledging Jungkook more than necessary while they packed everything up, Jungkook deciding the he was done drawing the waterfall every way he could, and not asking his nonstop questions as they wandered throw the jungle unhurriedly, Namjoon leading them this time around. Jungkook will admit that Taehyung’s sudden excitement and rapt attention made him extremely relieved.

“Close your eyes, Jungkook.”

Jungkook startles, arms tightening around Taehyung’s neck at the sudden command, eyes closing once his head registers the words, “Okay. They’re closed.”

Jungkook can feel Taehyung pulling them higher through the trees before he can feel a slight breeze of fresh air, not dampened by the moisture that surrounds the trees and Jungkook forces himself to keep his eyes closed as Taehyung gently uncurls his legs and arms, setting him down just as gently. Taehyung turns him so that Jungkook’s back is pressed against his chest, keeping a firm hold on Jungkook’s waist, leaning forwards to rest his chin on the younger’s shoulder, “Open your eyes now Jungkook.”

Jungkook does as ordered, slowly letting his eyes flutter open, glancing around. The air leaves him as he focuses, the scenery is gorgeous. So much more so than the waterfall. Taehyung has taken Jungkook above the tree-line, letting Jungkook get a bird’s eye-view. He can see a mountain far away from them to the left and a rushing waterfall leading into a river as far as he can see to their right. The jungle looks so clean, pure, untouched and Jungkook sees the beauty that made Namjoon stay here instead of returning to the country he was raised in, despite his well-known name.

Making sure to be careful, very aware of the branch the two are on, Jungkook turns to face Taehyung, blushing heavily when he realizes that Taehyung is looking at him instead of the open expanse of treetop. Clearing his throat Jungkook lets his head fall on Taehyung’s chest, “Thank you, Taehyung…”

“Jungkook…” Taehyung unwraps his arms from Jungkook’s waist, bringing them up slowly, cupping Jungkook’s face, leaning his forehead on Jungkook’s, “Jungkook. I would like to kiss you. May I?”

Jungkook gasps, eyes widening at the request, not knowing that Taehyung knew what it meant to kiss someone. Ignoring his erratic heartbeat, Jungkook nods, face turning even redder as Taehyung closes the distance with Jungkook’s approval. And, oh. Jungkook likes this. This feeling of Taehyung’s lips on his, hesitant and unsure as they are. This feeling of warmth spreading through his body, starting at the places where Taehyung’s arms have once more wrapped around his waist. This feeling of security and longing he’s realized the night before but chose to ignore.

Giving a slight whimper when Taehyung pulls back, Jungkook opens the eyes he doesn’t remember closing, looking directing into Taehyung’s dark eyes. Taehyung nuzzles against Jungkook’s cheek, a soft smile lighting up his face when Jungkook nuzzles back hesitantly, “Jungkook…”

Jungkook nods, letting Taehyung know he’s listening, not trusting his voice at the moment to come out even.

“Jungkook, I do not want you to leave. If I ask you…will you stay?”

Jungkook freezes, trying to pull back to look at Taehyung but Taehyung tightens his grip on Jungkook’s waist, keeping Jungkook stationary, “Taehyung? Stay? Here, in the jungle with you?”

Taehyung nods, shuffling even closer to Jungkook, letting his lips linger on the younger’s neck, “Yes. Stay. With me. I will….stay in the village with the Wanderer for you.”

“No, Taehyung. No.” Jungkook tries pulling away again, frowning when Taehyung lets him, the other putting space between, eyes sad as they stare at Jungkook, “Taehyung?”

“We need to go back to the Wanderer and your brother. They will worry.” Taehyung moves to put Jungkook on his back once more, frowning when Jungkook moves away from him, “Jungkook.”

“No. Taehyung. I-I don’t want you to stay in the village for me. I…I will stay with you, Taehyung. If you want me to.” Jungkook reaches over to take Taehyung’s hand, pulling him forward and placing the hand over his heartbeat, “You want me to stay with you, yes?”

Taehyung looks at Jungkook’s hand covering his own on Jungkook’s chest, dragging his eyes up to meet Jungkook’s, “Yes.”

“Then…then I think I’d like to stay with you, Taehyung.” Jungkook smiles, laughing softly when Taehyung wraps his arms around him again, “You give very extreme hugs.”

“Not hugs. Hugs are human things. This is a cradle. My mother said…a cradle is when you….hold something very….precious to you very close…” Taehyung replies, grunting in mild annoyance as he struggles to translate the words in head into a language Jungkook understands.

Jungkook smiles wider, arms coming up to wrap around Taehyung’s neck, “That’s what a hug does, as well, Taehyung.”

“I see.” Taehyung nuzzles into Jungkook’s neck once more, “Jungkook.”

“Yes?” Jungkook takes great pleasure in running his fingers through the hair at the back of Taehyung’s neck, giggling softly at the contented noises Taehyung lets out.

“You will be...my mate?” Taehyung hesitates, unsure if he’s said this correctly to Jungkook or not, not wanting the younger to misinterpret the meaning of their bond.

Jungkook thinks about the question, eyebrows furrowing, “A mate stays with you no matter what, right? And you only have one mate? No one else after you have one, right? It will be you and me forever?”

Taehyung processes the words slowly, comparing them with the once he knows, nodding when they fall into place, “Yes. One mate. Forever. You will be my whole world, Jungkook.”

Jungkook smiles widely, nuzzling against Taehyung’s cheek, “I think I’d like that.”

Taehyung gives a loud, excited sound lifting Jungkook off the branch completely, pressing their foreheads together with a wide smile, leaning in to press his lips against Jungkook’s one more time. “My mate…”

“Yes. Your mate.” Jungkook laughs, wrapping his arms around Taehyung’s neck and his legs around Taehyung’s waist. Jimin will not be happy, Jungkook thinks, since he is most definitely going to miss his wedding now. Or maybe Jungkook could convince Taehyung to visit his home country for a few weeks, along with Namjoon…