Chapter 1

Questionable Hygienic Practices

Key woke up to something wet on his face. He let out a soft groan as he opened his eyes, only to get another drop of water in his eyes. Spluttering angrily, he sat up and the light. “The third time this ing week.” he hissed, wiping his face as water continued to drip down from the ceiling. It wasn't anyone's fault that his upstairs neighbour's bathroom happened to be right above Key's bedroom, but it was his upstairs neighbour's fault that he liked to take baths all the time. They also happened to be at ridiculous hours, too, like three in the morning (the current time). Usually, Key would just move to the living room and deal with it in the morning, but he'd had enough. Something had to change. So Key grabbed his housecoat and put on his slippers, muttering obscenities to himself as he walked up the dimly lit stairs. His sleep-muddled brain obviously thought it was completely acceptable to walk around at three in the morning in his pajamas to go give someone he'd never even met hell about his borderline ridiculous bathing hours, so Key found himself with no fear as he knocked on the door of apartment 362.

There was a faint “Coming!” from inside the apartment and Key shifted his weight, crossing his arms over his chest and sighing. When the door opened, Key was fully prepared to unleash the full force of his half-asleep fury. “You're early, Tae... Wait, you're not Taemin.” unfortunately for Key, all of his words were lost when he stared at the god that was apparently his upstairs neighbour.

“I'm not Taemin.” Key agreed, then realized how ridiculous he probably looked. “Why do you always take baths at three in the morning?” he asked. His upstairs neighbour's eyebrows shot up his face and his mouth flopped open in a fashion that was strikingly similar to a fish.

“...Excuse me?” he asked.

“I live in the apartment below yours.” Key said. That probably wasn't enough of an explanation. “The roof is leaky. I always wake up.” Key said, noticing that the boy's face had gone bright red.

“O-oh. Man, that's really embarrassing. I'm sorry.” he rubbed the back of his neck, giving Key a sheepish smile. “Do you want to come in? I can make you coffee, or something, as an apology?” he offered. Key shrugged. He was already awake anyway.

 

“Why haven't we met before?” Key's upstairs neighbour (whose name turned out to be Jonghyun) asked.

“I'm usually pretty busy.” Key muttered, staring at the cup of coffee and slice of (leftover, according to Jonghyn) cake that was set in front of him.

“Busy with what?” Jonghyun asked. Key looked up to find the boy staring at him and swallowed, pretending that he couldn't feel the butterflies in his stomach.

“I'm a broke med student. If I'm not studying, I'm working.” Key said. Jonghyun grinned.

“Wow, good for you. That's not easy to get through.” he said. Key shrugged. He'd gotten used to it, he guessed. “I guess I should get my bathroom floor fixed, then. Wouldn't want to keep you up anymore.” Key had to stop himself from saying something along the lines of “I'd let you keep me up all night.” to preserve what was left of his pride.

“You don't have to rush. I mean, I can live with it.” Key said. He was lying, of course. That ing drip was the bane of his life. But Jonghyun was very attractive, so Key would be willing to live with it.

“Really?” Jonghyun asked, laughing. “I'll call someone tomorrow. I mean, you did come to a stranger's apartment at three in the morning because of it.” he said. Key felt himself going red. “Why don't you just stay here for the night? I mean, it's probably better than getting water on... wherever.” Jonghyun gestured all over his body and Key had to look away. He was totally not imagining what glorious muscles (amongst other things) that were being hidden underneath that wifebeater.

“It's really not that big of a deal...” he murmured, thoroughly red.

“Trust me, it's okay. I'll just go finish what I'm doing. I've only got one bed in my room, so we'll have to share. If that's okay with you.” Jonghyun said. Key swallowed.

“Yeah, sure.” he stammered. Jonghyun grinned at him, standing up.

“Great. I won't be long.” Key could've sworn that Jonghyun winked at him before leaving.

 

Key couldn't fall asleep, which wasn't much of a surprise. After all, he was in a stranger's bed, and not just any stranger at that- an attractive stranger. He would never admit it, but the thought of being in Jonghyun's bed made him kind of excited. Key to his side, smiling to himself. This was probably the weirdest thing he'd done in a while.

Jonghyun came into the room without turning the lights on and proceeded to bump into the corner of the bed. “,” he half-whispered. Key laughed softly. “Oh, God, sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up.” Jonghyun hurriedly apologized.

“It's okay. I wasn't asleep.” Key rolled onto his other side so he could see Jonghyun. The boy was no longer wearing a shirt, and Key had to press his lips together to stop yet another embarrassing comment from escaping, because damn. Jonghyun climbed into bed beside Key, lying on his back and scrolling through his phone. “Why three in the morning, though? There are better times to take a bath.” Key said. Jonghyun shrugged.

“It helps me think.” he said. “I'm a musician. Inspiration strikes at weird times and I just kind of end up going with it.” he admitted. Key laughed lightly.

“That sounds like it would be fun. Being a musician, I mean.” he said. Jonghyun looked away from his phone to smile at Key. Key pretended to ignore the flip-flop of his heart.

“It's hard sometimes, but I wouldn't want to do anything else. What about you? Is medicine your one true calling?” Jonghyun asked, turning off his phone and turning onto his side so that he and Key were face-to-face.

“I've always wanted to be a designer, but my parents would never let me. Medicine seemed like a good choice.” Key shrugged.

“That's unfortunate.” Jonghyun muttered. “I'm sure you'd be a great designer. After all, you color-coordinated your boxers and slippers.” he said. Key felt himself go red. “I think it's cute.” Jonghyun muttered. Key went even redder.

“I-” he was cut off by Jonghyun, who shushed him gently.

“You're overtired and you're probably going to end up saying something you regret. Get some sleep.” Jonghyun smiled gently at Key again. After that, Key didn't have any trouble falling asleep.

 

Jonghyun woke up first and found himself and Key tangled together. That was bound to happen, of course, but it didn't make Jonghyun feel any less nervous. He delicately shifted away from Key without waking him up, eventually ending up with his arm around Key's waist while Key rested his head on Jonghyun's shoulder. Jonghyun pressed his lips together, unable to stop thinking of how completely adorable the boy was when he slept. Lips slightly parted, lashes casting shadows against his face, curled into Jonghyun's body like it was completely natural. Jonghyun felt his heart leap and had to stop himself from smiling as he grabbed his phone from his bedside table.

“Hyung, are you up?” Taemin poked his head into Jonghyun's room. Jonghyun glanced nervously at Key, glad to find the boy still asleep. 'Who's that?' Taemin mouthed, stepping into the room. Jonghyun tried to think of a way to explain, but he really couldn't come up with anything.

“What time did you get home yesterday?” Jonghyun asked, his eyes following Taemin.

“Around five.” Taemin muttered, digging through Jonghyun's closet. “Wait a second.” he turned back around, leaning closer to the still-dozing Key. Jonghyun unconsciously tightened his grip on Key's waist and the boy moved closer to him. “Is that Kim Kibum?” he asked. Jonghyun frowned.

“He said his name was Key.” Jonghyun muttered. Taemin shook his head, climbing onto the bed and leaning over Key.

“Nope, that's definitely Kim Kibum. What's he doing in your bed? Did you guys hook up?” Taemin asked, frowning. Key's eyes fluttered open and Jonghyun glared at Taemin, who was staring expectantly at Jonghyun. Key let out a soft groan, detangling himself from Jonghyun and hitting Taemin in the stomach. Taemin let out an unusually high-pitched squeak and Key sat bolt upright, narrowly avoiding hitting his head against Taemin's.

“Lee Taemin?” Key asked, staring at Taemin, rubbing his eyes, and then staring at him again. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

“He's my roommate.” Jonghyun said. Nobody paid any attention to him.

“I could ask you the same thing! What are you doing cuddling with my roommate?” Taemin asked. Key went bright red and looked down.

“Sorry about that.” he mumbled. Jonghyun opened his mouth to say something along the lines of 'no problem', but Taemin beat him to it.

“He probably didn't mind.” now Jonghyun was just as red as Key. “I'm going to make breakfast. Don't be late for work, Jjong.” Taemin stood up, grinning like a little kid with candy as he walked out of the room. As soon as he was gone, a heavy awkwardness descended on the room.

“I-I'm going to go take a shower.” Jonghyun stammered, nearly inviting Key to go shower with him. Key hummed, pressing his lips together and paying careful attention to the wall.

 

“Yeah, Jonghyun's got weird hygiene habits...” Jonghyun groaned. That was a terrible thing to hear your roommate telling the hot guy that lived in the apartment below you.

“No, I just take baths for inspiration.” Jonghyun corrected, grabbing a plate and sitting down. Eager to leave the topic of what he did in his spare time alone, Jonghyun tried to turn the conversation onto someone other than him. “Anyway, do you two know each other?” he asked.

“Remember when Minho's boyfriend broke up with him and he wouldn't stop crying for a week?” Taemin asked, his words filtered through a stack of pancakes.

“I don't like to think of that.” Jonghyun shuddered, visions of dishes appearing in his head (so. Much. Ice cream.)

“Well, that ex-boyfriend is Kibummie here.” Taemin grinned, elbowing Key- or should Jonghyun call him Kibum? He wasn't sure.

“And you guys are... friends?” Jonghyun asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, it turns out that Bummie here is pretty chill.”

“I set him and Minho up.” Key clarified, glancing up briefly. “Taemin, you make really good pancakes. I might just have to come over more often.” he noted. Taemin snickered, glancing at Jonghyun.

“I don't think that would be a problem at all.”

 

Not surprisingly, Key started coming over to their apartment more often. Sometimes, Jonghyun would come home from work and find him sitting next to Taemin, the two of them watching TV. More often, though, Key would just be alone. Jonghyun asked him about that, one day.

“You keep coming to our apartment.” Jonghyun said, grabbing some leftover kimchi and sitting down next to Key.

“Mine is kind of lonely.” Key admitted, leaning his head on Jonghyun's shoulder. “It's okay, right?” he asked, looking up at Jonghyun. Jonghyun could've swore that his heart melted a little bit.

“It's fine.” he grinned, putting an arm around Key's shoulder and thanking the gods above that Taemin wasn't there to make fun of them.

 

“Hyung!” Taemin burst into the bathroom and Jonghyun nearly choked himself with his toothbrush. Sputtering, Jonghyun glared at Taemin in the mirror. “I figured it out.” he grinned triumphantly and Jonghyun scowled.

“Figured what out?” he asked, ignoring the flecks of toothpaste that got onto the mirror. Taemin made a face, wiping them away with a cloth.

“You.” Taemin's grin suddenly turned mischevious. “You have a crush on Key.”

“Tae, you sound like a fifth grader when you say that.” Jonghyun muttered, purposefully not meeting Taemin's eyes.

“Whatever, it's true. You totally like him.” Taemin hit Jonghyun's arm, grinning widely.

“Says who?” Jonghyun asked. He was grasping desperately at the last strings of his pride, but it wasn't working very well.

“Every time I come home you two are cuddling on the couch. Like, jeez, just kiss him already!” Taemin says. Jonghyun sighs.

“He might not be looking for a relationship right now. I wouldn't want to impose on him.” Jonghyun supplied lamely.

“I don't buy it. If you don't say anything, I'm going to.” Taemin threatened. Jonghyun would've been worried, but he knew better than to take Taemin seriously.

 

They were watching Running Man after Key's finals. Jonghyun decided that he really disliked finals, since Key was barely around. Now that they were over, he was back to their usual schedule.

“You know, Taemin mentioned something to me the other day.” Key said. Jonghyun hummed.

“What was it?” he asked.

“He said you liked me.” Jonghyun choked on his kimchi and Key had to pat his back until he stopped coughing.

“That piece of ! I'm going to kill him.” Jonghyun muttered, wiping tears from his eyes.

“Well, do you?” Key asked. Jonghyun turned around to find Key looking at him with huge, worried eyes.

“I, um...” Jonghyun didn't really know what to say. “I don't really know.” he muttered. Key's face fell.

“Oh. That's okay. I mean, I thought we both felt the same, considering that you've been so... y'know, so comfortable.” Key muttered, rubbing the back of his neck. Jonghyun was honestly taken aback.

“Wait, you like me?” he asked.

“Oh my God, you guys!” the anguished yell came from Taemin, who was sitting in his room. Jonghyun and Key looked at each other, both going red. “Just kiss already!” he screamed. Key had suddenly gone bright red.

“He really doesn't have a good sense of timing...” Jonghyun sighed. Key laughed.

“Yeah, but he seems to know his way around a guy better than you.” he joked, poking Jonghyun's chest. “I'll let you figure your feelings out. Is that okay?” he asked. Jonghyun smiled gratefully.

“That's fine. Thanks for saving me from death by kimchi.” he said. Key shrugged, the two of them sitting back down on the couch.

“As far as ways to die go, that's a pretty awesome one. Not that I want you dead or anything.” Key winked, giving Jonghyun a sly smile.

“Shut up!” Jonghyun laughed, lightly punching Key's arm. Before they knew it, the two of them were laughing because of each other and not the TV.

 

“So, did you kiss him?”

“You yelling at us to kiss doesn't really make for a romantic atmosphere, Tae.” Jonghyun sighed, scrolling through Facebook.

“I'm not leaving until you promise me that you're going to kiss him tomorrow.” Taemin said, crossing his arms and shifting his weight on Jonghyun's bed.

“I'll kiss him tomorrow.” Jonghyun said hesitantly.

“That didn't really sound like a promise.” Taemin said. Jonghyun sighed, setting his phone down.

“I just don't know if I'm ready for another relationship.” Jonghyun admitted. Taemin gestured for him to go on. “I mean, my last one ended pretty badly...” he admitted.

“Bummie's not going to do that.” Taemin insisted. “If he does, I'll kick his . Besides, you need to get laid!” Taemin cackled, running out of the room before Jonghyun could yell at him. Jonghyn sighed, rubbing his eyes. Maybe Taemin was right.

 

Jonghyun spent most of the next day sitting in his bedroom, contemplating what the best way to ask Key out was. At around two in the afternoon, when he knew Key would still be at school, he went to a florist and got some flowers, then spent another hour trying to decide on what would be the best attire for the situation. After spending what was probably far too long in front of the mirror, Jonghyun checked his hair once more and headed to the apartment below his.

“Just a second!” Key's muffled voice came from within the apartment and Jonghyun swallowed nervously, adjusting the collar of his shirt. “Oh, hey, Jonghyun.” Key grinned, running a hand through his (still-wet) hair. “Flowers?” Key raised an eyebrow.

“I wanted to apologize for being an awkward idiot yesterday and not listening to Taemin.” Jonghyun muttered sheepishly. “Also, I want to ask you out.” he held he flowers out to Key, who laughed as he took them.

“You're adorable, Jonghyunnie. Do I get that kiss now?” Key asked, smirking.

“I don't think you could avoid it.” Jonghyun muttered, wrapping an arm around Key's waist and pressing their lips together in one fluid movement. Their kiss was sweet and languid, and Jonghyun couldn't get enough of how Key's lips felt on his own. They were soft and fit perfectly with Jonghyun's. If it wasn't for the spinning of his head, he wouldn't have pulled away. Key's lips were better than air, anyway.

“Wow.” Key breathed, looking a little out of breath himself. “For someone who doesn't know his way around a guy, you're a really good kisser.” he admitted. Jonghyun laughed, placing a chaste kiss on the side of Key's lips.

“Want to go watch Running Man and eat kimchi?” he asked. Key laughed, and Jonghyun swore that smile was brighter than the sun.

“As long as I get to kiss you some more.” Key grinned, letting out a small yelp as Jonghyun picked him up bridal-style and carried him up the stairs.

 

“Taemin's coming, let's freak him out.” Jonghyun whispered.

“I'm down.” Key muttered, climbing onto his boyfriend's lap and pulling their lips together.

“OH MY GOD MY EYES”