puppy intervention

good puppy

a/n tell me what you think!

Key was having a bad day. A really bad day. It had all started when he spilled coffee on a client in front of his supervisor, and it was all downhill from there. He hated his job at the cafe, but he had to do it to pay tuition. And to bring home bubble tea to Taemin. the free daily drink that Key supplied acted as a bribe to keep his roommate from murdering Key's boyfriend, Jonghyun. At least his bad day was almost over. When he got home, he would take a long, relaxing bath and maybe catch up on some shows before going to bed early. Maybe he would have a glass or two of wine, too. Yes, Key was looking forward to a nice, quiet evening. Hopefully, the chocolate pastry he bought Taemin along with the bubble tea would be enough to convince him to distract Jonghyun for the night. Key almost dropped the drink when he opened the door. He was positive that the universe was consipring against him now. That was the only possible explanation for all...this. His head swiveled from side to side, not sure where to look first. The large banner spanning the living room that shouted "Key, let's adopt a puppy!" in big, obnoxious capital letters? Or should his eyes fall upon the colorful confetti that Jonghyun threw into the air the moment he opened the door (that was going to be a pain to get out of the cracks between the couch cushions). Or the fact that Jonghyun was dressed up like an actual dog, complete with a headband with dog ears and for 's sake...was that a ing collar? 

"Oh, you're home" Taemin said belatedly. He dispiritedly waved around a posterboard with a collage of printed out pictures of dogs that just screamed first grader or in this case, Jonghyun. "Yay dogs." 

Once Key realized what was happening, he sighed. He knew what this was. Ever since Jonghyun and Key had moved in together, the older boy had been begging his boyfriend to adopt a dog. Key thought that Jonghyun had already accepted the fact that they couldn't have one, but he guessed Jonghyun thought that things would be different now just because they took in a new roommate, a two against one sort of thing. But this wasn't a democracy, especially since he payed Jonghyun's portion of the rent for this trash apartment, too. 

"Hyung, you already know we can't. I'm allergic," he reprimanded, feeling  irritated at being put on the spot like this. 

Jonghyun looked up at him with big, hopeful eyes, his headband endearingly crooked on his head. "Please Kibummie. We could keep him in Taemin's room." Behind him, Taemin shook his head violently. No ing way, he mouthed.  

Key's heart squeezed at the cute nickname, but he strengthened his resolve, knowing that if he caved in now, he would probably regret it for years to come. it was already hard enough looking after Jonghyun, who was much like a puppy himself. They really didn't need another one. 

"No means no," Key said, hardening his voice even though the sight of Jonghyun's dejected face made him want to promise to buy him 101 dalmations. 

With his bubble tea and pastry safely in hand, Taemin had already exited the room, leaving Key to deal with this mess alone. Even though he was really exhausted, Key decided that he couldn't leave Jonghyun like this, all sad and covered with confetti on the floor. He pulled the older boy up his forearm. 

"Let's go wash up together, hyung," he suggested, knowing that it was something that would guarantee a smile. 

As expected, Jonghyun's eyes lit up from the invitation. He loved taking showers with Key so much that Key couldn't remember the last time he got to take a shower alone. It was seriously cutting in on his skin care routine and he hadn't exfoiliated properly for months.  Whenever Jonghyun heard the water running, he would come running in, throwing off his clothes as he went, to join Key in the shower.  He loved the feeling of Key's big hands all over him, in his hair, cupping his face, thumb brushing over his lips. Jonghyun loved it especially when Key ran his hands, palm flat, against his stomach. They always spent too much time in the shower, Key lamented, thinking about the water bill. After they were both done, Jonghyun surprised Key by shaking his head like a dog, spraying Key with water. 

Jonghyun laughed too, happy because Key was laughing

. "If we had a puppy, it would shake like that after you gave it a bath. And you would laugh at it. And laughing makes you live longer." Jonghyun concluded, probably thinking that he sounded like a seasoned lawyer. 

Key resisted the urge to roll hsi eyes at Jonghyun's childish method of logic. "But then why would I need a puppy to make me laugh when I already have you," he countered. 

As he was grabbing sweatpants from the dresser, Key noticed the collar and dog ears headband that were placed on top of it. He smiled as an idea hit him. He just thought of a way for Jonghyun to get what he wanted in a way that wouldn't cause Key to constantly have a congested nose.