Gravity

The Collection

Seulgi couldn’t sleep.

 

The blankets felt like gallingly warm arms that continuously tried to suffocate her. She hid under them, body lying straight, eyes wide open. Seulgi imagined herself inside a cave and it was not comforting.

 

She kept on rolling over and if she didn’t stop now she might wake Joy up. Maybe Wendy too. She glanced over at the alarm clock at the head of her bed. It was already one in the morning and she was not even feeling the slightest bit of drowsiness.

 

The day was definitely tiring, but there was an inexorable feeling inside of Seulgi that demanded to be quenched. Seulgi wanted to see her, but Seulgi guessed she’d probably be comfortably sleeping on her bed right now and she wouldn’t want to disturb her. She might even wake Yeri up. The poor kid. Being suddenly added to a group must’ve been tiring for her, but Seulgi wouldn’t have had it any other way. If she was going to be completely honest with herself, adding Yeri was perhaps the company’s greatest decision in the longest time. The maknae needed her rest.

 

But Seulgi needed to see Irene. She would probably be up all night.

 

When she glanced again at the alarm clock after what seemed like an eternity, it was already almost two in the morning, just a couple of minutes shy from the hour.

 

The blankets became too heavy for her already.

 

Seulgi took them off and stood up, slowly, careful not to wake her roommates. She did not bother wearing slippers. Maybe drinking a glass of water would help, she thought.

 

Seulgi slowly opened their bedroom door and crept outside of the room.

 

A lamp was in the living room and she saw Irene sitting on the couch, her pillow clutched tightly against her chest while her chin rested on it. Irene’s hair was tied in a loose bun, a few strands strayed and dangled at the sides of her head.

 

Seulgi felt her chest tighten.

 

When Irene heard the door, she looked up, and a small smile slowly formed on her lips.

 

“I couldn’t sleep.” Irene said.

 

Seulgi remained standing by the door, her hands at her back. “Me neither.” She answered.

 

They stayed like that for a couple of minutes, like two planets revolving around the sun. There was a strong gravitational force that kept the two distant from each other. They just kept on hovering, revolving, millions of light years away. Then all of a sudden, Irene’s eyes turned into orbs that plead to Seulgi to come to her, to gravitate towards her. The smile on her lips turned into a frown, as if asking why the hell was she just standing there, and not coming to her.

 

Seulgi’s chest contracted, and she felt her heart sink down to her stomach, only to jump back up again. It was all it took; that one look. Irene did not have to ask.

 

Seulgi walked towards where Irene was seated and the latter moved aside to make some room for her. The moment she sat down beside Irene, the girl placed her pillow on Seulgi’s laps and laid her head on top of it.

 

“I was waiting for you.” Irene said, with a tone that implied she was sure Seulgi was going to come out.

 

“I was kinda hoping you’d be up.” Seulgi said.

 

“Aren’t you tired?” Irene asked as she lied comfortably on Seulgi. She sounded half asleep already, her eyes closed.

 

Seulgi undid the bun that tied Irene’s hair. Her raven tresses unfurled on Seulgi’s lap and she ran her fingers through them. Irene moved her head towards the touch of Seulgi's hand. Seulgi kept her hand still, the back of it against Irene's cheek. 

 

“Not so much.” Seulgi replied. And it was the truth.