Chapter One: Paper Planes and Rivals

Mischievous Paper Planes [MOVED TO DIFFERENT ACCOUNT]

“You must have hit your head on the ground pretty hard when you fell from Heaven because you’re so stupid.” Soeul growled as she crumpled up the paper airplane. She glared up at the person who had thrown it. She scowled at his immaturity.

Jiwon, better known as Bobby, smiled proudly at his handiwork. He puckered his lips and blew her a kiss. He saw that he was an , and he laughed wildly with his friends. Being on the third floor of the school, he had an advantage of calling her out loudly.

“Park Soeul is so goddamn ugly that she makes my eyes bleed!” She stopped talking with her friends and looked up from the school’s sandy field. She turned red as he looked at her with an evil smirk that she wanted to punch off of his face.

Soeul was an easy-going person. Many people liked her, and she liked almost every single person she knew, almost. The only person she despised was none other than Kim Jiwon. She had never hated someone so much in her entire nineteen years on the Earth.

She hadn’t always hated him. When she first met him seven years ago, she had liked his smile and his playfulness. That is until his immature attitude became unbearably obnoxious.

Soeul wouldn’t have minded his childish pestering if he was creative. No, Jiwon had annoyed her every single day for the seven years with paper airplanes that had juvenile insults written on them. He always aimed for her head, and it was, to say the least, as annoying as listening to a five year-old screaming the word poop in your ears repeatedly.

Nonetheless, Park Soeul was fed up with Kim Jiwon. She was tired of him trying to get everyone to call him Bobby. She was tired of his smile and his laugh. She was tired of his pranks. She was tired of his paper planes. She was tired of his unoriginal insults. Frankly, she was tired of his existence. But she couldn’t do anything about. It wasn’t like she had magical powers to send him off to another planet so that aliens could deal with his inanity.

If she had super strength, she would throw the crumpled up paper plane at his head and hope that the excessive force would rattle his brain hard enough to miraculously make him mature. Since she was an ordinary human, all she could do was throw the ball of paper in the trash can and walk off with her friends.

“Park Soeul! Put a bag over your head! No one deserves to be blinded by your hideous face!” Bobby doubled over as he laughed loudly. He high-fived his friends as he watched Soeul ignore him and saunter off.

As his gaze stayed pinned on her back, his laughter died down. He took note of all of the little details about her. He noticed how her long, black ponytail swayed as she walked. She gave her friends equal amounts of attention as they all chattered about the upcoming tests. She didn’t cover whenever she laughed. She laughed like an elegant lady, but not like one of those snobby ones. She smiled brightly. She was…amazing.

Yes, Kim Jiwon thought that Park Soeul, the only girl he picked on, was amazing. That was why he messed with her. When he met her seven years ago, he had begun to like her. She had been the first girl he ever liked. He had no idea how to act around her. He began to annoy her as a way to show he liked her. He knew it was wrong, but he couldn’t help it.

He hoped that she would realize that he liked her if he kept picking on her. However, she only realized that she didn’t like the way he treated her. He hoped that if she ever realized his feelings for her, she would reciprocate them.

A sigh left his lips as he turned around and leaned against the windowsill. He watched the girls in his class admire him. He hated how they were willing to fall to his feet at any time. That was another reason why he liked Soeul: she wasn’t easy to get. She didn’t look at people’s physical appearances. It wasn’t like she was different from other girls. There were others like her, but they weren’t Park Soeul. She had something about her that caught his attention.

“Bobby, you’re so funny. Calling Soeul ugly was hilarious!” He ignored the girl who tried to compliment him. He brushed past her and plopped down into his seat. He rolled his eyes as the girls squealed and called him “handsome” and “chic”.

Truthfully, he was tired of girls chasing after him just because of his looks. He was charismatic looking, and he had a face that could get him places. But he hated how that was all these girls could see. They didn’t pay attention to how well he played sports or how loyal he was to his friends. Soeul had been one of the only few girls who noticed. He had female friends who knew him well, but they were only that: friends.

This year, Bobby was determined to let her know how he felt. It was their last year of high school. After their graduation, he wouldn’t be able to see her. She was at the top of their class. Hell, she was in the top 1% of their entire school. She was bound to get into a prestigious school while he was going to be attending a school that almost anyone could get into.

Their graduation was nearing each day and Bobby was making no progress. Three months of the school year had already passed by and he was still hated by Soeul.

“I love the way he looks when he’s thinking. He looks so hot.” Bobby abruptly stood up and walked out of the classroom. He was not in the mood to listen to meaningless compliments. His friends followed him out and chattered loudly behind him.

Hanbin and Jinhwan, Bobby’s two best friends, slung their arms around his shoulder and chuckled.

(Hanbin)

(Jinhwan)

“Thinking about Soeul?” Bobby shrugged off their arms and glared at them. They were the only two people who knew about his little crush, and they seized every moment to about it. Hanbin was the one who the most while Jinhwan always told him it was kind of cute that he liked her.

“Your precious Soeul isn’t going to fall for you if you keep messing with her. Man up and confess to her already. It’s been seven years, dude. Seven freaking years.” Bobby pushed Hanbin away roughly and continued to walk away. Jinhwan caught up with him and patted his back reassuringly, “What Hanbin was trying to say was that you’ve liked her from afar long enough. It seems like a good time to tell her how you feel so that you don’t have to keep suffering in silence.”

Bobby sighed, “I know. I’m was going to tell her before we graduate, but I’m still thinking of how I’ll do it.”

“Well, you better think fast. Time will fly by quicker than you think.” Jinhwan fell back and messed around with Hanbin and the other boys. Bobby groaned in frustration and ruffled his hair.


“I just want to get this Chemistry test over with.” Soeul’s best friend, Jisoo, chuckled as Soeul groaned. “You’re such a nerd. I bet none of the other students are as prepared to take that test as you are. You still have a few days until D-Day. But enough talk about studying, what was written on today’s plane?”

Soeul rolled her eyes at the mention of the paper plane thrown at her head earlier. “Another stupid insult that a three year-old could’ve come up with.” Jisoo laughed at Soeul’s own insult meant for Bobby.

“But you have to give him some credit. I’ve never heard of anyone using the same tactic to annoy someone for seven years straight. He’s so tenacious.”

“Tenacious? Yeah, but what’s the point of wasting all of that energy trying to make me miserable? He could be spending his time and energy studying and getting good grades. I don’t understand him sometimes. I overheard him telling his friends that he wants to get into Seoul National University, but he doesn’t show he really does. He’s all talk and no action.”

“Seoul National University, huh? He wants to go to the same school as you, and he keeps bothering you. Either he wants you to tutor him or he likes you.”

Soeul burst into laughter, “Good one, Jisoo. You’re so funny. You could be a comedian.”

“Think about it, Soeul. Some boys pick on the girl they like. It’s like their way of telling the girl that they like her.”

“If Bobby likes me, my kidney produces dopamine.” Jisoo stared at Soeul as if she had grown a third head. “It means that it’s not possible that he likes me. A kidney doesn’t produce dopamine, the brain does.” Jisoo sighed, “Can’t you talk like a normal person? You know I don’t understand anything that has to do with science.” Soeul and Jisoo both burst into laughter and walked back to their class.

Soeul sat down at her desk and opened up her Biology textbook. She slowly got into her studying zone. Her surrounding slowly started to become nonexistent, but he came and ruined it all.

“Park Soeul!” She grumbled as her concentration broke. She glared at the doorway where Bobby and his friends were standing. He smirked rudely, “Studying? What a nerd.”

Everyone in Soeul’s class scoffed. Her class was known for getting the best grades and studying all of the time. Bobby’s insult wasn’t even an insult. It was more of a matter-of-fact statement.

“What do you want?” Soeul was close to throwing something at him.

“Nothing. Just wanted to see what the ugly nerd was up to. You upset that I ruined your little study session?” Bobby howled with laughter as he left. Soeul scoffed and shook her head in disapproval. She had known him for seven years, and she still couldn’t figure out what was going through his head. She wondered if he even had a brain of a nineteen year-old. She had a theory that Bobby was hit on the head as a young child and that had messed up his brain, causing him to act so immaturely at his age.

Soeul turned her attention back towards her textbook. She read a few important points before her mind wandered off to Bobby. She hadn’t really questioned his actions before, but all of a sudden, she was curious. Why exactly was Bobby acting like the way he was? Nonetheless, for seven years. She wanted to get into his brain and figure out his wiring and find out why she was his only female victim.

Yes, Soeul knew that she was the only girl he ever picked on. She noticed over the years that he didn’t mess with any other girl but her. At first, she believed it was because she had done something wrong. But she ruled out that possibility when she realized that she hadn’t done anything but treat him well.

Soeul sighed and shook away her thoughts. She cursed at herself for distracting herself from studying. She went back to looking at her textbook, but, in the back of her head, she couldn’t help but think about why she was the only girl to be picked on by Kim Jiwon.


The lunch bell rang loudly, causing all of the students to sigh in relief. They were halfway done with the school day. Soeul took out her English flashcards and her lunchbox. Her friends gathered around her desk, and the group studied together as they ate.

“Soeul, are you going to take the psychology course they’re offering at our after-school academy?” Soeul hummed in thought and contemplated the course.

Jisoo groaned, “I don’t understand why you guys want to take so many classes. Aren’t you all tired of studying all day at school?”

Soeul giggled at her lazy friend, “If we’re all going to go into the medical field, we need to study hard and take a lot of classes. Even if we don’t get college credit for taking them, we’ll be more prepared than some other college freshmen.”

“You’re the only one who thinks like that, Soeul. I’m only asking because I heard some of the guys on the Whimoon swim team are going to take that course.” Soeul’s friends gasped at the mention of the popular Whimoon swim team.

“Does that mean Wenhan will be there?” Soeul’s friends looked at Soeul as if they were anticipating a reaction from her.

(A/N: I love this gif of Wenhan, so I just had to use it.)

Wenhan was a foreign exchange student from China, and he happened to be the captain of the swim team at the prestigious Whimoon High School. He and Soeul attended the same after-school academy and were very close to one another. They were planning on attending the same university and were both going to major in pre-med to become doctors. Her friends that they were dating when they actually weren’t.

“Why are you guys looking at me like that? I told you guys that we’re not dating. We’re just really good friends.” Her friends rolled their eyes, not believing Soeul.

“Yeah, right. You guys are always hanging out and texting each other. Just the other day, he walked you home. And a few days after that, he took you out to lunch. You two may not be dating, but there is definitely something going on between you two.” The rest of Soeul’s friends agreed with Jisoo.

“Whatever. You guys believe what you want to believe, but that doesn’t change the truth. And the truth is that there is absolutely nothing going on between us.” Soeul ignored her friends’ teasing and continued to eat her lunch and study for English.

As she was peacefully enjoying her 30-minute break from lessons, a mischievous paper plane crashed into her head. Soeul, irritated by the disturbance, whipped her head toward the doorway. She saw Bobby trying his best not to burst out laughing. Her hand reached for the plane that was caught in her hair and crumpled it. She didn’t bother to read whatever was written on the plane.

Bobby grew disheartened that she had chosen this one time not to read his message. He watched Soeul toss the crumpled paper into the trash can and ignore his presence. He growled in frustration and walked back to his classroom. He plunked back into his seat and rested his head on his desk.

He was frustrated at his failed plan. He hadn’t written an insult that time. The message was to ask her to meet him after school. If she had read the question, she might have agreed to meet with him. If she had agreed to meet with him, he was going to confess his feelings. But she didn’t even read the message; she just threw away the paper plane.

He banged his forehead against his desk and sighed. Possible ways to get her to meet him privately ran threw his head, but they all seemed futile. He sat straight and drummed his fingers against the wooden surface. He was deep into his thoughts when he heard some girls gasping and squealing.

He looked out of the classroom window and saw a group of good-looking guys passing through the hallway. He noticed that they were wearing a different school uniform. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and followed them with his eyes. That’s when he realized that they were heading in the direction of Soeul’s classroom.

The thought of losing Soeul’s heart to one of the handsome students made him panic. He rushed to Soeul’s class to stop them, but he was too late.

He skidded to a stop in front of doorway and saw that one of the guys approaching Soeul. He spoke to her in Korean but he sounded foreign.


“The guys and I were wondering if you girls wanted to join us in a great volunteer opportunity this weekend. We’re going to a hospice in Daejeon, and they need a few more volunteers. Are you girls interested?” Wenhan sat himself on an empty desk.

Soeul nodded, “I’ll go. It’ll be a great learning experience.” Wenhan smiled brightly at Soeul.

The other girls nodded eagerly as they gawked at the five most handsome and popular students from Whimoon High School.

(Left to Right: Sungjoo, Wenhan, Seungyeon, Yibo, Yixuan)

“Great! Make sure you bring some fun ideas. We’re holding a mini show for the patients, so be prepared.” Seungyeon grinned.

The girls perked up, “What are you guys doing?” The boys looked at each other before flashing charismatic smiles. “We’re going to sing and possibly dance.”

Soeul’s friends squealed as they imagined the five boys performing like idols. Soeul laughed at her friends’ reactions and looked at Wenhan, who had his eyes pinned on Soeul.

“You know, you could’ve just texted us. You didn’t have to come all the over here.” Wenhan shrugged, “I like talking to people in-person.” His smile grew wider as he talked with Soeul.

Bobby noticed their interaction and grew nervous. He had to do something or else Soeul was never going to give him a chance.