Chen

Change of Heart

She was a terrible, terrible person. She was, for lack of a better word, huge. So huge that Chen probably needed four eyes to get her whole frame into his whole vision. Every movement she did was wrong, and she always looked like she just ran a marathon when she walked from the class door to her table. Her hair was so curly and bushy; a lion’s mane was ten times better in comparison. Her two front teeth jutted out a little, and if Chen had to compare her to an animal, he reckoned she looked like a rabbit suffering from obesity.

It was a well known fact that Chen despised her. She was everything he was not, and he grew up hating what she stood for. She was too sweet and too kind it was always sickening to watch. Her love for studying and her two sidekicks, Tao and Lay were worthy of vomit. In fact, he had just vomited in his mouth when he heard her up to their professor. Chen scoffed. She might as well just the professor’s thumb off.

There was no denying the fact that he, on the other hand, was perfect. He was the pure kind, as pure as the first drop of dew. He was good looking, a fact he acknowledged. Girls of all ages adored him, and he was well mannered. Well, at least with people he liked. With people like her though, he would rather squash her up under his feet. To be quite honest, she wasn’t even up to the standard of the sole of his shoes.

“What are you seething about Chen?” Baekhyun asked.

Sehun grinned. “You look like a dragon with flares coming out of your nose and all.”

“Look at her. Look at the way she talked to the professor. Good God, I can’t believe anyone falls for that goody-two shoes crap.”

“Let her be Hyung.” Kai said with a laugh. “Why are you so hostile towards her anyway? It’s not like she did anything to you.”

“Yeah she did! She was born for starters!” Chen fumed. “Now out of all the people in this class, I have to pair up with her for this stupid assignment! Unbelievable!”

“Dude, she’s coming.” Chanyeol said in hush whisper.

Chen narrowed his eyes as the bane of his existence strolled towards him, shoulders back and chin so high up he was surprised she didn't break her neck yet. That was another thing he hated about her. The way she carried herself was revolting, what with the overly confidence that a girl her size should not have and girl flower power or whatever.

She stopped in front of him and he couldn't help the sudden crinkle of his nose. Even her smell gave him a headache.

She too, looked like she was in pain from standing in front of him, but he was too absorbed in his disgust to be offended.

“I talked to the professor.” She said, her voice crisp and straight to the point. “Unfortunately, I’m stuck with you until the assignment’s over.”

“Unfortunate?! You should be honoured to be working with me!” He said arrogantly.

She rolled her eyes. “Honoured? I’m in pain just standing in front of you! How do you expect me to spend more time with you?”

Chen scoffed. This girl was unbelievable. Other girls would’ve jumped into his lap by now. But then again, he might break a bone or two if she tried to do the same. He shuddered.

“Look, we both know we can’t stand each other, so why don't I do the project for us? I really really don’t mind. You just have to write your name in before I pass up the paper.” She said in a serious tone. “Really, I don't mind.”

“I’ll have none of that Miss Park.” Someone from behind her said sternly.

She closed her eyes and bit her lower lip guiltily. “But professor!”

“No Miss Park. No buts. You are to work on the assignment with Mr. Kim, no matter how much you dislike each other.”

She watched the professor walked away before she turned to look at Chen once again. “I can’t believe I’m stuck with you.”

Chen snorted. “Believe me, I’d rather bury myself alive than work with you.”

“Well, why don't you?” She snapped at him. “At least that’ll solve all of our problems!”

“Why you-“

“-I’ll see you later Chen. Library at 8 tonight. The faster we start, the faster we can get this over with.” She said and walked away before waiting for a reply.

Having watched the scene unfold before their very eyes, the rest of the boys burst into laughter.

“Oh hyung, you got owned so so badly.” Sehun grinned.

Chanyeol patted his friend’s shoulder sympathetically. “Look at it this way Chen. At least you’ll get an A. Isn’t she a bookworm or something?”

Chen groaned as he flopped back into his chair. “A? At the expense of my sanity? No thanks Chanyeol. I’d rather get an F.”

TWO WEEKS LATER

Two weeks later, she was scrubbing the cabinet furiously while Chen sulked in the corner. He was supposed to be outside playing football with the boys, not stuck here doing detention with her! And what the hell did the professor keep in his office anyway? It was so bloody filthy!

“You know, if you showed up like I asked you to two weeks ago, we wouldn’t be here.” She scowled at him. Her face was streaked with dirt while Chen remained perfectly clean. If the professor thought he was going to clean the office, he was sorely mistaken. Chen didn't do cleaning for people, people do cleaning for Chen.

Chen inspected his nails lazily. “If you’d talk less and just hurry up, I can still enjoy outside air for at least an hour or two.”

She narrowed her eyes and threw the piece of cloth she was holding at him. It narrowly missed his face, and she cursed inwardly. “If you think I’m going to clean this place by myself, forget it.”

“You don't expect me to clean do you?” Chen raised his eyebrow at her.

She let out a short incredulous laugh. “Of course, the great and almighty Chen doesn’t do things like cleaning, or assignments right?”

“Finally! You managed to get something right!”

“Well, in that case,” She said as she took a seat at the professor’s desk, “might as well just make myself comfortable.”

“What are you doing?” Chen asked as panic rose up his throat. There was a game this weekend and he couldn’t afford to lose any more practice! Why was she no longer cleaning?!

“Geez Chen, I knew you were dumb. I didn't know you were blind too.” She replied sarcastically. “I’m not cleaning. Since you’re not too, so why should I?”

“You can’t be serious! I have a game this weekend woman!”

“I don't understand why you put so much effort into practice anyway! Your team !”

“Like you’re any better! You’re so big I bet you haven’t even seen your feet!” That was very childish of him, but he wanted to throw something at her, anything. So long as they were shouting, he was fine with it.

“This is all your fault!”She yelled at him. “We got a freaking F because the professor knew I did the assignment on my own! If you had just shown up, none of this would’ve happened! I could have been on a nice dinner date with someone right now!”

Chen clammed up and a slow smirk made its way onto his face. “Date?” He said incredulously. “Really, who would want to take a hippopotamus on a date? Unless... is your date blind? Or is he a hippopotamus like you too? Or maybe you’re going on a blind date in that eating-in-the-dark restaurant? Yeah, that seems like a good choice. At least he won’t know how enormously big you are.”

Chen could see her eyes getting glassy, but he couldn't bring himself to stop. He was going to make her pay for missing practice. He would taunt her and hurt her verbally, just to get the satisfaction out of it. He was Chen, and Chen was allowed to do anything Chen wanted.

“Take that back Chen.” She said quietly. She was on the verge of tears, but she wasn’t about to break down and let him see that side of her. Never. Not in front of someone like Chen.

“What’s that? Take that fat? I wish I could Park. Maybe you’d be a lot more presentable. And hey, then you don't have to eat in the dark with your date anymore right?”

ONE DAY LATER

Chen cursed under his breath. He checked his reflection in the mirror once again, and frowned. There was a red handprint on his left cheek, and he could still feel the sting of her palm colliding with his smooth cheek.  Damn her, how dare she flawed his perfect face? How dare she even touch him? He was one to be admired and fawn over Goddamnit. Never has he been touched in such a rough manner before. How dare she?!

A small part of him knew he had stepped over some boundaries yesterday, but he refused to let his conscience get the best of him. There was no way he was going to apologize. It wasn’t as if he said the wrong thing. Everything he said was true, even if it did hurt.

He threw his hoodie on, making sure that the hood properly covered the side of his face before making his way to class, a class he had the misfortune to share with her. Really, how much more of her does he need to see? Maybe he should transfer elsewhere. He really could not stand the sight of her.

He knew something was up the moment he stepped into class. Everyone was talking in hushed voices, including his group of friends. Baekhyun beckoned him over as soon as he saw him.

“Hyung! Did you hear?” Kai whispered.

“Heard what?” Chen furrowed his brow.

“Park was found unconscious last night.” Sehun said. “She’s in the hospital right now.”

Chen’s heart plummeted to the ground. Was it because of what he said?

“There’s a rumor going around saying she tried to kill herself.” Chanyeol said.

“Yeah I heard that too!” Xiumin spoke up. “They said they found a bottle of pills by her side.”

Chen cleared his throat. He was feeling extremely guilty, but he shrugged it off, and kept his face void of emotion. “Well, isn’t that for the better?” He said out loud. “Let’s just forget about her guys. She’s not worth our time.”

GENERAL HOSPITAL AT 6PM

Chen peeked around the corner, only to see Tao and Lay still by her bedside. He growled under his breath. When were they ever going to leave? How could he visit her with those oafs around? In his hands he held a bouquet of white lilies, but decided to immediately throw it away. What if she doesn’t like white lilies? And besides, he was hardly the flower and chocolate type.

He dropped himself into a nearby chair, and let his head fall into his open hands. He felt immensely guilty. Why did he have to be so vile and say all those things to her? Sure, she may not be his cup of tea, but Kai was right. What did she ever do to him anyway? So what if she was slightly on the large side, she wasn’t hurting anyone. In fact, if he was to be completely honest with himself, she was the kindest, nicest person he ever met. She was everything he was not, and for once in his life, he was glad.

He had treated her badly, and she wanted to take her life because of that. What would he do if she had succeeded? He may be a bad person, but he didn't want to be the cause of someone’s death. No matter how much he disliked the person.

Chen saw Tao and Lay leaving, and immediately made his way into her room. He shut the door behind him and turned to face her. The sob rising in his throat almost strangled him, the guilt so heavy he felt as if his heart could drop to his feet at any moment.

She looked so fragile. He had never seen her like this before. Her lips were chapped and dry, her face so pale he could almost see her blood vessels. He slid into the chair next to her, and grabbed her hand. There was once a time when he would rather hold hands with a tiger than her, but none of that mattered now. She was lying on the hospital bed, limp and almost lifeless because of him. because of the hurtful things he said.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered as he squeezed her hand. “I didn't mean what I said. I was just... so angry at everything and everyone on that day that I took it out on you. I’m sorry you were there. I’m sorry. If we could trade places right now, I would gladly be where you are now. Please forgive me Park. I really didn't mean all that I said.” Chen continued. Tears were starting to cloud his vision before he let them fall down his face completely. His lips were silently sending prayers, wishing that she’d survive through this whole ordeal. He really didn't want her to die.

She had her eyes closed, but tears leaked out of her eyes nonetheless. She had heard him. The apology she heard was so sincere that maybe, just maybe deep down, he wasn’t such a bad person after all.

She didn't want to, but right then and there, she decided to put everything behind. In that moment, she forgave him.

FIVE MONTHS LATER

“Hey Park! Don't you think your shirt’s a bit too tight? Your button’s about to pop open!” One of the boys shouted from across the room.

In a split second, Chen had his collar in his grab, his face mere inches from the boy. “Don’t you dare speak to her that way again.” Chen hissed into the boy’s ear before letting him go.

Chen caught her eye, before she hurriedly broke contact and walked out of the classroom. He guessed he owed it to her now to stand up for her. He wouldn’t do it when her sidekicks were around, because he knew they could stand up for her. But when they weren’t around, he decided to step up. At first, he did it subtly so she wouldn’t notice. After a while though, he wanted her to notice. He didn't know why it was so important that she knew what he was doing. Maybe because he had fallen in love with her?

Yeah, shocking right? He could hardly believe it himself. Ever since she came back from the hospital, she avoided him like the plaque. He spent countless sleepless nights wondering if she had forgiven him but every time he tried talking to her, she would run away. It was frustrating.

After dinner that night, he followed her into the library. He waited until she settled into the seat by the window, before observing her from behind the bookshelf. That was how he fell in love. He observed. He realised that her size never really overshadowed anything. Her eyes twinkled when she smiled, and her laugh was just as wonderful. It was like she was a completely different person ever since she decided to avoid him. It made her happier, the happiness she felt lighting up her entire face.

He stuffed his hands into his pockets, and let out a dejected sigh. Maybe he shouldn’t talk to her. She was happy now. He didn't want to do anything to ruin that happiness. He should just go. Before she noticed him, he should go.

“Chen.”

Her voice stopped him in his tracks, and he froze. She found him. He counted to three before slowly turning around. He suddenly felt ashamed to face her, and he gulped nervously.

She looked just as nervous. “Uhh, I just wanna say... thank you for coming... that day.”

“I’m sorry.” He mumbled without looking at her.

She giggled slightly. “I heard you the first time. Haven’t you heard? I forgave you.”

He flashed her a grateful smile. “And thanks for not ratting me out...”

“Let’s not talk about that anymore.”

“Oh well, if that’s the case, do you want to go out with me Saturday night?”

Her eyebrows rose so high up they almost disappeared into her hairline. “Really?”

Chen nodded earnestly. “Yes really. No joke. A date. Movie, dinner...”

She looked slightly taken aback but regained her composure just in time. Chen waited with bated breath. Would she accept his proposal?

Slowly, she nodded her head and he grinned, feeling like the whole world of the world shifted off his shoulders.

“Well in that case, I’ll pick you up Saturday night.”

“Right.” She replied with a smile.

He wanted to walk away, but there was something in her smile that tempted him to do more than just walk off. So in a sudden bold move, he stepped closer to her and placed a kiss on her soft moist lips, his arms wrapped around her waist. His fingers disappeared into the folds of her skin but he didn't mind one bit. Her lips were heavenly.

“See you Saturday then.” He breathed into her ear.

Mmm was the only reply he got and he winked at her. Looks like no girl was immune to his charm after all. Not even the toughest of them all.


Chapter posted on: 26th Apr 2015

Hope you guys like this one shot! please enjoy! =D