The Sound of Shattering Dreams

The Sound of Shattering Dreams

"Yah! Can't you hear me? I'm talking to you, idiot." My friend slapped the back of my head real hard and all I could do was groan and scratch it.

"Aish! I could hear you. I'm just thinking of something." I told her and my mind started wandering off again.

"Yah! listen to me for once and finish your food!"

Blah blah blah. That's all I can hear.

Oh, right. Before I forget. I would like to introduce myself.

I am Lee Ji Eun, 20 years old, working at a coffee shop and a part-time at a book store near.

I'm a huge fan of BEAST. I've loved them since the Shock Era but ever since I haven't met them, yet.

Yes, yet. I believe that I would meet them someday, of course before I die that is.

"Aish! Seriously! I'm leaving you here." My friend, Minhwa stood up and didn't left before she slapped the back of my head again.

Geez. My friend can be violent sometimes but she's caring so don't misunderstand.

"Yah! wait up!" I hurriedly fix my things and just put them all in my bag. 

I've been friends with Minhwa since we were first year middle schoolers. We went to the same school onwards.

"Minhwa..." I muttered. She looks at me and then back to her phone.

"Hmm?" The sound of her ringtone overpowered my cockroach-like voice.

"Wait a minute." She excused herself and answered the phone.

Minhwa's 20 years old but she's older than me by 2 months. She had the same boyfriend for over 3 years now.

I'm envious of her for having someone who loves her by her side for 3 years and here I am loving BEAST.

But I could tell you that I don't regret anything. I even became the president of the fan club.

I probably dedicated all my life to BEAST. They became my inspiration through my school life.

"Jieun ah, gaja!" Minwha hooked her arm around mine and dragged me.

"I worked hard to earn this money and I'm finally able to attend their concert as a VIP!" I squealed as I jumped up and down holding the ticket tightly.

This was my dream. I could finally see them up close, meet them at the backstage, hear them sing live, I could probably even hug them.

Tears were threatening to spill but I held it in because it would be embarrassing.

Minwha hugged me tight. She was happy for me too.

There is still a week before the concert and I can't wait.

"Your phone is ringing." Minhwa nudged me on the arm and pointed at my phone.

"Ah. Wait a minute. It's probably my mom." I told Minhwa and she just nodded her head and put on her earphones.

"Omma... Yes, I got the ticket... I still have a week... Don't worry I'll go later... Yeah, I love you too. Bye and take care." I ended the call and hooked my arm around hers.

"Your mom? Did she tell you to go to the clinic?" Minhwa asked and all I had to do was nod. She knows me too well.

"I'm going later. I wouldn't want to misplace my ticket, right?" I giggled.

Minhwa bade me a goodbye after we got in to my apartment.

As I removed my shoes and lay down my bag, I started to feel dizzy and my surroundings where in whirls. I sat down on my couch and sat there for maybe about an hour.

I haven't told you this but a few weeks earlier I heard a ringing on my ears and suddenly I can't hear a thing. My television was on that moment and it felt like I had it in mute. I started crying. I called my mom on the phone and even if I can't hear a thing she was saying I keep on telling her that she has to go to my apartment. We went to the doctors together and I still couldn't hear a thing. The noises at the lobby, the crying kids, it was all in mute. The doctor said it should be okay for 6 weeks. And my hearing came back again.

After the dizziness was gone, I tried standing up straight but I only felt nauseous. I grabbed my back and hurriedly wore my shoes.

I went to the clinic and called my mom immediately.

"Ms. Lee JiEun? Please go to room 12." The nurse said and I could barely hear it. 

"Ah. I see you're back, Ms. Lee. What seems to be the problem this time?" Dr. Kim asked. She was my mother's friend in college and she's very professional when it comes to her job.

"Dr. Kim. My hearing. I think it's getting worse." I blurted out in chokes and tried holding back my tears.

"Calm down, JiEun. Did you call your mom yet? I have to discuss this with her too." This was the first time I heard her say my first name as a patient. She's not being professional.

"I called her already but I need to know what's going on with my ears." I almost screamed at her.

"After a few tests Jieun... After a few tests can I only tell you what really is the problem." She takes a deep breath and dialed something on her phone.

The door opened and my mom was standing there. I looked at her and I could see the mismatched shoes she's wearing.

"Eunhye ah. Please sit. JiEun, would you go wait for your mom outside?" I nodded and just went out after hugging my mom tightly.

I closed the door and found myself a chair. I sat on it for a few minutes and my mom went out with Dr. Kim.

"JiEun. Come here." Mom called my name. I stood up and walked to them.

"We need to do some tests. I'll have your mom pack you clothes since you will be staying here for awhile." Dr. Kim said and I started panicking.

"I can't be here for a week. I have a concert to attend to. Please tell me it's only for 2 days." I half begged and half cried.

There is nothing more devistating than losing your hearing. I haven't told anyone why I treasure this particular sense. Honestly, it's because of BEAST. Nevermind if i lose my sight, I know their faces by heart. I want to hear their voices. I listen to them a lot and when I was in college, my parent's were thinking of having a divorce and I listened to BEAST's songs while crying. Their voices comforst me. It soothes me.

"Listen, JiEun. I'll ahve you attend their concert next time. I'll pay for the ticket even." My mom grabbed my shoulders and made me look at her. She was close to crying.

"I can't have you lose your hearing. Please just stay here." She starts to cry.

I couldn't believe I'm missing BEAST's concert for these stupid tests.

I hugged my mom and Dr. Kim patted me on the back saying I did the right thing.

Staying at the hospital and being in bed all day is not fun at all even if you have a companion. Having something injected to you, gives you food you don't want to eat but have to. It's hard. I thought I was finally able to come and see them live. I thought I was going to hear them sing live and have pictures with them. But no. I had to stay here.

"Knock. Knock." I looked at Minwha and she had this bitter smile. I knew what she was thinking. It's my D-Day.

"I talked to your mom. Asked her if you could go. Said no." Minhwa sighed and took a sit beside my bed.

"Thanks for trying though. What are you doing here anyway? You have a concert to attend." I laughed and punched her jokingly on the arm.

"I ain't going. Plus it's your ticket not mine." Minhwa shrugged her shoulders.

"Minhwa..."

"Yea--"

"I can't hear anything."

But I did hear something. It's the sound of my dreams shattering.