Chapter One - draft

Silver Linings

     It all started with a letter. Black letters typed on stark white paper with a fancy cursive signature made its way all the way from Seoul to my house in Florida, USA. The letter contained a life changing opportunity for me to go through a program labeled as the "JYP Experience". At the time, I wasn't familiar with South Korea or its pop culture that seemed to have a major 90's influx of poppy tunes and the marketing of many music groups ranging from as little as four members to ten.
     The letter stayed by my side all day long as I reread the information and how Ms. Keller, an American Music marketer who was working under JYP Entertainment, found videos of myself singing online. She described the sound as fresh, innovative, and something to watch out for. She was extending the invitation to me on the hopes that I could bring a new influence to JYP. 
     So, two months later, I find myself sitting in my new "dorm" as the Koreans call it. I met Ms. Keller at the airport after a long hours flight. She's everything lovely. From the airport, she took me to where I am living now. It's cozy with enough room for five people. She explained that the other rooms were filled and that since I am last to join the bootcamp that I will be living by myself. Which isn't a problem to me. I've been living by myself for three years. At twenty-one, I was young to be living by myself in a new country surrounded by a completely different culture-but it's invigorating and exciting.
    "Your life changes tomorrow, Addison," Ms. Keller said with a smile as she stood in the open doorway. "be ready for it."
     And I will be.

 ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

9:30 A.M.

   I look like a trainwreck. My brown hair was now coming loose from the thick braid from having to run from the cab to get to JYP. Which I'm currently late for the introduction meeting. My brown boots slapped against the concrete as the tall building came into sight. The JYP letters above it were daunting as I came closer. With a pounding heart and lungs lacking oxygen, I stumbled inside and up to the reception desk where a young woman was currently taking calls. As I caught a glance of my reflection in window nearby, I hastly went to work to smooth out my white top and black leggings. 

  Ending the call, the lady glanced up at me waiting for me to speak. "Where is the introduction meeting for the new girl group bootcamp?" I asked her as politely as could. As sooon as the words left my mouth I saw her state of confusion and I mentaly scolded myself. The two months I could have used for studying Korean, I actually spent practicing my singing and lack of dance skills-which is a highly important skill I need to master before tomorrow. The young girl looked around unsure how to even respond to my english words. 

   "Addison Corva?" A voice called my name.

Turning to my left, Ms. Keller was standing waiting for me. A pleasant smiled was on her face as I headed straight over. "I'm so sorry I'm late! There was traffic and I'm still learning my way around this city."

  Ms. Keller just smiled even bigger and lead me down a hallway off to the right. "It's alright, Addison, we understand that this is all very new to you." She explained as we turned around corner. "The other girls are in the stage room, as well as, JYP, and a couple of the other groups- who will be your seniors if and when you are chosen to be apart of the new girl group."

 My stomach dropped at the thought of JYP's already huge music groups were here. My palms began to sweat as we got closer to the stage room. From outside I could hear the distinctive voice that belonged the man of this empire- this music dynasty. "I think I'm going to be sick."

 "Nerves are a good thing," Ms. Keller said as her hand landed on the door handle getting ready to open it. "It means you aren't going into this with an ego."

With a swoosh, the door swung open and Ms. Keller ushered me inside the packed room. Curious eyes watched me as I walked down the center of the room. The music groups sat on the right side with the competing girls on the left. Their eyes held no friendly gaze and I ducked my head at the unwelcomed sight. "Our last trainee is here!"

My eyes found him immediately. JYP stood front and center infront of the stage with his hands wide while giving a warm smile. "Everyone meet, Addison Corva!" He spoke in english with such perfection one would think he was born there. 

I was handed off to the big man himself who gave me a half bow. I copied him as much and thanked him for letting me come here for this chance. Turning around to face the room; all eyes were now on me and I wanted nothing more than to go find a dark closet to sit in.  JYP began speaking in Korean. I couldn't understand what he was saying so I just stood there while we gestured to me every now and again. "Thank you for joining us today, Addison, you can go take a seat." 

With that quick introduction, I found the only open spot in the front row on the right sight. I sat down next to a guy with a thick purple streak in his hair. He had boyish charms about him and I nearly choked when I came to the realization that it was BamBam from the newly formed boy group, GOT7. They're the only group from JYP that I actually listened to briefly before coming here. I stole a quick glance down the row and saw that they were all there. Turning my attention back to the front, I concentrated on what JYP was saying-but it was just useless when he wasn't using english words. I caught snippets here and there, but never the full meaning.

"I'm so lost." I mumbled under my breath. 

Leaning close to me, I felt BamBam's presence before I heard him speak." He's saying that the first dance practice is tonight after dinner and that tomorrow they will start to make the first cuts" He informed me. 

Without looking at the boy beside me, I nodded and gulped down my anxiety. They are making cuts tomorrow. That's barely enough time for me to make a lasting impression. "Thanks for the heads up." 

"Good luck," BamBam whispered and gave his full attention to the man up front. The same man who could end my chances of starting over. 

 

TO BE CONTINUED...