Unforeseen Reunion

Evanescent Haven

“Krystal Jung?” was the first thing she heard the moment she walked out of the police station.

 

A dark curtain fell over the land with myriad stars dotting the sky. The moon hovered over the gradually peaceful city, accompanying it's citizen who were still wide awake. She shifted her gaze to the direction of the sound and was astonished at the sight of the figure she recognized all too well. Brown tousled hair, tall figure and thin lips – everything that screamed perfection to the female’s ear. Her eyes crawled all over him as she inspected every inch of his body.

 

“Jongsuk?” she asked. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Exactly how long has it been since she moved out of Busan? The female couldn’t make up the exact time but she knew how pleasuring it felt to finally meet him.  “Why are you in the police station? Manhattan’s police station to be exact."

 

“Aish… that.” he scratched his head in embarrassment. Jongsuk expected his first vacation in New York to be a merry go round adventure of sightseeing but, reality has proven him wrong. “My wallet was stolen in the airport and I had to file a police report.” he said. He could only wish that the faint shade of pink on his cheeks were not visible when he looked up to meet her charming brown eyes.

 

“And you traveled all the way here instead of reporting to the airport police?”

 

“Before you chose to give me that ‘what an idiot’ expression, take into account that I only realized it when I was in the bus. Besides, I kept some emergency cash in my luggage so I technically didn't lose everything. Smart move, huh?” he smirked. Krystal shook her head in disbelief. How clueless can this man get? It was as if he left it intentionally.

 

Soon, one of their high school memories slipped into her mind.

 

“YOLO!” Jongsuk shouted whilst throwing a sandwich across the class when Mrs. Goo was teaching. A quarter of the student burst into laughter while the other half was in a state of shock. No, don't get it wrong. It's not that Jongsuk particularly disliked this teacher; he's just one of those class clowns.

 

“Lee Jongsuk! I’ll report your disgusting misbehavior to the principal this instant!” the poor teacher warned him. A class combining two classes had never been easy.

 

Meanwhile, Krystal just smirked. To say that she hated the teacher is an overstatement but her admiration towards her faded when she spread a rumor on how Krystal had been cheating in exam. Or was she right? However, it's a relieve that most of the students and the teachers thought of the rumor as taboo. Although not everyone.

 

Nevertheless, she couldn't blame Mrs. Goo fully either. Krystal was not your stereotype genius who kissed the teachers’ for extra credits. True, she’s one of the top eight students in school but discipline wise, you can say that she’s quite a daredevil. She just had it her own way when it came to academic.

 

A smile slipped her face at the remembrance. Jongsuk can be quite extreme sometimes but iss he still the same man she used to know? Krystal quickly snapped back into reality after that. “And you completely disregard your credit card?” she chuckled.

 

He laughed at her sarcastic remark. “I’ll better get going before you abuse my mental with your verbal bullies” he said as he took a few step up the stairs, with his left hand carrying his luggage. Awhile later, he turned back and called out for her.

 

“You live here, right?” she nodded lightly as a reply. “Can I stay with you? I mean, I’ve got nowhere to go, and I’m low on cash so… just wondering”

 

She was slightly taken aback by his request. Her mind was filled with thousands of possibilities that could happen if they live together. What if he withdrawn himself from her if he found out who she was? However, this could be their last meeting and it'll be a waste to not make full use of the opportunity. Moreover, she missed him so much. Just, please. At least, give her one more day to spend with him before they could bid each other goodbye.

 

“Sure” she responded hesitantly. “There’s a park five minutes’ walk from here. Wait for me there.”  The corner of his lips curved as he entered the police station. Maybe today is not as disastrous as he thought.

 

As soon as Jongsuk disappeared from her sight, Krystal walked to the old black car situated across the street. A blonde-haired Chinese man with a dragon tattoo on his left arm was sitting on the car’s trunk.

 

“A friend is staying with me tonight”

 

Her head hung low. She was just not brave enough to look into his eyes. The man gave her a disapproving look and was about to enter the car when she grasped his hand tightly, staring deep into his eyes “Please, I promise I won’t disappoint you”

 


 

Jongsuk strolled in the cold breezy night with lamp posts as his guidance. He was done filing a report so his next task is to look for her. He sat himself on the swing while waiting patiently for his former close pal.

 

Park? He scanned his surrounding carefully. This looked more like a playground to him. It's either he got the wrong location or the brainy Jung Krystal was unable to distinguish between park and playground. Oh, whatever, he's too tired to walk around now. The girl is familiar with this place so she should be able to find him in no time.

 

“Where exactly is this girl?” he murmured as he rocked back and forth on the swing. He then slowly increased his pace and threw himself to the air like a happy kid. Afterwards, a loud thud was heard as he fell on the ground.

 

“OUCH!” he screamed in agony. He tried to blocked the pouring blood by covering his nose with the sleeve of his shirt. “You filthy ground!” he stood up and thumped on it, as if the sad stoned pathway was vulnerable to his revenge.

 

Soon, a motorcycle came to the rescue. If he were to replace the image of Krystal during their first meeting in the library, she must have look like the Ghost Rider in action. A burning mad skeleton roaming around the neighborhood with his motorcycle. Absolutely terrifying.

 

“Oh my goodness, what happened to you?” Krystal laughed at his miserable state. She left him for a mere fifteen minutes and he’s already bleeding? What a clumsy boy.

 

Jongsuk tugged on his luggage and approached her. His head was still dizzy so he could only wish that he did not mistook her for a stranger. “Nah... I decided to kiss the New York ground a hello for the wonderful experience”

 

She burst again, “You okay? I’m afraid you might fall off”

 

“Whatever, cool ride by the way” he complimented in awe at the red and black Honda motorcycle. Jongsuk placed his luggage in between them and was grateful for the humble size of it.

 

"Where did you get the cash to buy this baby?" he asked her.

 

“Saving money ain’t that hard, y’know” she replied with a smirk. “Hold tight!” she exclaimed and drifted off to her home.

 


 

A/N: Just trying my luck with my first competition. Yeah, it's very much lacking but comments are loved :)