black ink on your skin

heart-shaped cookie

In this world, you live with something written on your inner forearm. It could be anything: a phrase, a single word, a symbol. The legend says that the first person who tells you whatever is written on your forearm without already knowing it, could be your soulmate. As always, there are people who believe in this legend and people who don't; the only certain thing is that no one knows why these messages appear on the skin just like ink. Some blame God, some others blame Fate.

In this world, you live with something written on your inner forearm and there's nothing you can do about it. One day you wake up and there is.

 

It's a cold February morning when a cold Junsu enters the equally cold pastry shop. His face is half-covered by a thick white scarf and a black hoodie hides his pastel pink hair, making him look like a stylish version of an homeless man. The sweet smell of freshly baked cakes and pastries lingers in the air and instantly brings a smile on Junsu's chapped lips. He stops by the counter to check new orders and suddenly a young man comes out of the pastry lab to greet him.

 

"Good morning Junsu-ssi. You're early today" the boy, Changmin, welcomes him while carrying a tray full of coconut pastries.

 

"Good morning Changmin. Man, it's freezing outside! I swear I can't feel my fingertips anymore. Has Jae arrived yet?" Junsu asks while undressing himself. He hangs his coat and scarf on the coat rack but there's no sign of his colleague. Usually Jaejoong would occupy the entire coat rack with his coats and jackets and accessories, but that morning Junsu finds it empty.

 

"Uhm, actually Junsu-ssi, Jaejoong called in sick just a few minutes ago. I think he has a fever."

 

Changmin adjusts his hat and arranges the trays on the counter so customers can smell the pastries' fantastic scent. Junsu simply smiles and nods, but he can't help but feel a bit anxious. Valentine's day is near and neither Junsu nor Changmin have the time to serve customers and bake sweets at the same time.

 

"I hope Jaejoong-ssi gets well soon. I'm not very good with customers." Changmin says, looking a bit worried.

 

"For today we're taking turns for serving. If he doesn't get well anytime soon, I'll be the one serving customers. You don't have to worry." The pink-haired man assures him, gently patting his shoulder.

 

After Junsu ties a white apron around his waist and puts on his red hat, they both go back into the pastry lab to finish the day's orders: a Saint Honoré, two raspberry tarte tatins, a birthday cake and a set of twenty-five lemon cupcakes. Since Changmin is like a Swiss clock, he controls the ovens and makes sure that every single product is cooked perfectly. What's worse than eating something raw?

Junsu spends the entire morning decorating cakes and wrapping them in a fancy way, using elegant gift paper and glittery stickers. Since he found a really beautiful, dark and soft velvet fabric on sale last week, he decided to buy it, thinking that it could make perfect ribbons.

Changmin turns on the stereo and they both sing along to some old tunes, occasionally stopping to dance together. Junsu brought a never ending list of CDs from home some time ago, sure that music would make their work less boring. He was completely right.

 

Since they are ahead with the various preparations, they can afford a break to sip hot coffee and have breakfast. Junsu is about to finish decorating the lemon cupcakes when the doorbell rings, sign that a customer is waiting to be served. He puts down the pastry bag and washes his hands before greeting the woman and the small child held in her arms.

 

"Good morning, welcome to 'Vanilla and cinnamon' pastry shop. How can I help you?"

 

"Good morning, I was wondering if my order is ready. I ordered the birthday cake for my daughter." the tiny woman says, smiling brightly.

 

Junsu nods and carefully places the package into a paper bag so it's easier to carry around. After the woman pays and waves goodbye, Junsu notices a guy standing in front of the shop. He's looking at the window, probably searching for something in particular, while the cold breeze dances through his black long locks.

Junsu instinctively touched his left forearm, exactly on the spot where some words stain his white skin. He shakes his head and goes back into the laboratory, determined to finish the last order. He does not have enough time to daydream, especially since the rent doesn't pay itself.

 

 

The next day is pretty much like the previous one. Junsu is still freezing, Changmin is still worried about serving customers and Jaejoong is still sick in bed.

The pink-haired man arrives at the shop to find out that the lights are already on; he feels like hugging his colleague because without him, the shop would be in a big mess. He also starts to wonder if Changmin lives here, since it's only six in the morning and some pastries are ready to be sold.

 

"Hello Changmin. Are there any new orders for today?" Junsu peeks into the pastry lab, looking at the notice board. There are a couple of pink notes here and there, but they are all for Valentine's Day.

 

"Not really, Junsu-ssi. Fortunately it's going to be a calm morning." Changmin explains while kneading the dough for some petit fours.

 

Junsu notices that Changmin's left arm is covered by a thick bandage. He doesn't seem hurt, though.

 

"Hey, Changmin," Junsu says while getting closer to the boy, "When did you get hurt?" and as soon as those words leave his mouth, Changmin takes a few steps back. His eyes are fixed on the bandage but Junsu suddenly understands: he has the same bandage too.

 

"I'm just glad mine finally showed up." The young boy smiles a little, looking at the soft dough ready to be cooked.

 

"I'm sure you'll find your soulmate someday, Min. It's not a race to win."

 

"How about you, hyung? I saw your bandage too, so it means that you must have a soulmate as well."

 

Junsu runs a hand through his pastel pink hair and sighs. It's not that he doesn't believe into soulmates, it's just that he spends almost 70% of his life into that pastry shop. How could he ever find his loved one? It must be one of the customers for sure, and his mind suddenly remembers the guy from the day before. His mouth becomes dry.

 

"Yeah, well, let's not talk about this." Junsu's sarcastic words make Changmin wonder if his boss was already in love with someone. Maybe his lover never said the words on his arm but they decided to stay together anyways, or maybe his soulmate died. Who knows? Changmin decides not to go any further with that topic, so he quietly goes back to his work.

 

Junsu thinks it's time to change a couple of things in his shop: first, the window decorations. He takes down all the old Christmas stickers and replaces them with some cute pink paper hearts. He hangs red velvet bows and golden filaments, white silk curtains and he places a heart-shaped cake on display. He's about to spray some glitter on the glass when someone blocks the light. Looking up, Junsu can clearly see the man's features and his heart skips a beat. It's the same guy from yesterday and Junsu feels his cheeks becoming as pink as his hair. The stranger bows his head a little and smiles, then walks away just like the day before.

 

"Junsu-ssi, we are running out of heart-shaped cookies!" Changmin exclaims from the laboratory. Not hearing any answer, he looks out and sees Junsu still on his knees, a faint smile on his lips and fingers brushing upon his bandage.

 

"Junsu-ssi," he tries again, "We need more heart-shaped cookies."

 

Junsu turns his head towards Changmin and nods, standing up shortly after.

 

"Alright. I can't wait for this week to be over already."

 

It's seven o' clock in the evening when they finally close the shop. Turning that 'open' sign into a 'closed' one has never felt so good.

 

 

 

Monday and tuesday go by quickly. On wednesday they bake cakes and pastries until the oven almost explodes; fortunately for them, a snowstorm hits the city so they can close earlier and get some deserved rest. On thursday Changmin can't stop smiling and giggling.

 

"Junsu-ssi, I found my soulmate. We said the exact words on our forearm without knowing it." he tells with a proud expression painted on his young face. "Oh, his name is Yunho, by the way." Changmin adds after, placing the biscuits on a golden tray.

 

Junsu gives him a big hug and two days off.

 

On Friday, Junsu is alone in the pastry lab and everything feels a bit strange; he's happy for his colleague and all, but deep inside, his heart aches. Whenever he's behind the counter serving customers, his eyes are constantly busy looking for someone familiar. Everytime they find him, the words tattooed on his forearm burn like a fire; his tongue becomes knotted and his fingers tremble a little.

On saturday morning he can finally make those hundred heart-shaped cookies and he spends extra-time decorating them. He uses four different ice frostings that smell and taste like four different ingredients: red currant, strawberry, white chocolate and his personal favorite, vanilla. Observing them from behind the counter, Junsu feels proud indeed; they look -and taste- delicious. The customers must think the same thing, since it's six in the evening and there's only one cookie left laying on the tray.

 

Junsu decides to start cleaning the laboratory before closing the shop, since tomorrow is Valentine's Day and he probably won't have enough time to do it.

"Happiness" by H.O.T. echoes in the lab and the pink-haired man sings along, scrubbing pots and pans.

He almost doesn't hear the doorbell ring.

 

"I'd like one heart-shaped cookie, please."

 

Time seems to stop for a second. Junsu looks at the smiling stranger and a sudden pain hits him hard like a brick. Those are the words tattooed on his forearm.

 

"You're lucky, it's the last one."

 

The stranger's smile slowly fades away. He takes off his coat and rolls up his left sleeve, reading those words that Junsu just said.

 

"Do you believe in soulmates?" the man asks with a sweet smile on his thin lips, a smile sweeter than any other cake Junsu has ever baked before. "Because I think I've finally found mine."