Part 1

Revolution of Dominari

The city was desolate, the skeletal remains of the buildings rose up above them, illuminated by the pale light of the full moon above them. Everything washed out and grayscale, the silence so thick it was almost deafening. 

 

They weren’t supposed to be out this late, it was way past curfew and if the Enforcers found them they would be executed without question. 

 

ß eta Tres consisted of three members; Jungkook, Jin, and V. They had completed the five years of training necessary to be put through their first test phase. Their mission was simple; survive. That meant they couldn’t get caught, and they had to reach the check-in point located somewhere in the city.

 

They weren’t the only group out tonight, αlpha Duo was in their second testing phase tonight, and their mission was to find ß eta Tres. Consisting of four members; Rap Monster, J-Hope, Jimin, and Suga they were the most formidable threat. Highly skilled and deadly, if they caught ß eta Tres there orders were to kill on sight.

 

There was no room for failure when the lives of the entire country were resting on their shoulders. It was succeed or die.

 

“Do you have the map?” Jungkook whispered, his hushed tone still sounding too loud in the intense silence that surrounded them. Since the fall of the democracy the country had been in ruins. A group called the Black Ring had finally risen through the chaos and gained power, but not before the once beautiful and thriving city of Seoul was destroyed. Under the Black Ring a new city was built, strict regulations suffocated the citizens who had survived the civil wars. Public executions were held often and encouraged, a license for a gun meant you had the right to kill anyone who wronged you under the new laws. Children, innocents, everyone was suffering and the country was slowly rotting away.

 

It was because of this that the secret organization ‘Dominari’ was created. Their goal was to liberate the country from the absolute control of the Black Ring. They wanted to restore Korea to it’s former beauty. In order to do that they needed agents who were the best of the best. They were formed by volunteers who willingly submit themselves to years of strict training, people who sign their lives away for the chance to die for their country.

 

“It’s right here.” Jin whispered back, tapping a few buttons on his watch and the green holographic image was displayed on the ground in front of them. The three of them were crouched in an abandoned building, trying to get their bearings. They’d been drugged and dumped somewhere in the city, left with only a few precious tools to aid them including the watch that Jin was wearing. The gun Jongkook had holstered at his waist, and the palm computer that V had tucked in his pocket. The rest was going to be entirely up to them, and as Jongkook looked around he could see the nervous energy reflected in the eyes of his team mates. 

 

This was real, this wasn’t a game, not anymore. It may have been called a test but they all knew it wasn’t. It was do or die time and they were all nervous. αlpha Duo were not the kind to be taken lightly. They were the best of the best, the wolves of the organization and they were out for blood tonight.

 

“Okay, V, can you hack the watch and see if it can tell us our coordinates?” Jungkook asked, the map was all but useless if they didn’t know where they were. They couldn’t stay here for long, but they needed to have a game plan. Running out without direction was going to be the quickest way to get them killed.

 

V nodded and pulled out the computer, it scanned his iris and opened up to a blue screen. V set it on the ground an a projection of a keyboard appeared on the ground in front of the the little device. He wasted no time in tapping furiously, his nails clicking lightly against the cement floor and his brow furrowed in concentration. He was the best of the group at technology, he hadn’t found anything he couldn’t hack yet. It was his gift, just like Jin’s gift allowed him to bend light and and shadows, it could keep them hidden if they did run into someone. Jungkook’s gift allowed him to sense the life force of other beings, he would know if someone was coming before they got close enough to catch them.

 

Together they were a force to be reckoned with, but everyone in this group had gifts. That was why they had joined Dominari to begin with. The Black Ring was known for forcefully drafting those with gifts, and killing the ones who refused. Many ran away to China, or Japan, some chose to die, others succumbed to cowardice and joined the police force and became Enforcers or joined the army. A very brave few sought out Dominari instead. It was that bravery that set these individuals apart from the rest, and why Dominari chose to train them.

 

A soft beep drew Jungkook out of his thoughts and he looked down the map to see a small red dot blinking on the southwest side of the city. Another blue dot was blinking on the north east side, as far from their position as it was possible to get and still be within the cities borders.

 

“.” Jungkook cursed softly, it was just after sundown so they had all night to reach the check-in point, but to get that far across the city without getting caught was going to be next to impossible. “Alright, V, can you find us a map of the tunnels and subways beneath the city? Some of them survived the bombs, maybe we can find a way through there.” He suggested, rubbing his chin and wracking his brain for a better solution.

 

“They’ll think of that.” Jin pointed out, and Jungkook knew he was right but he was struggling to find another option. Staying on the streets would get them caught in no time, the old city was crawling with Enforces, all of them trigger happy and itching to kill anything that moved. Even shooting each other was all too common, when murder came without repercussion it brought out the worst in people.

 

“I know, but I don’t know what else to do.” Jungkook explained, glancing up at Jin who was looking intently at the map. The city slowly rose up about a foot in the air and beneath it a map of tunnels and subways was forming, some areas were out where the bombs had caused cave ins. Once the map was completely Jungkook reached up and spun it with a flick of his finger, trying to see every angle, looking for any path that would lead him where he wanted to go but indirectly. They couldn’t just go straight there, Jin was right αlpha Duo would be expecting the obvious. It would be suicide.

 

He expanded the map, pushing aside the top layer for the time being to focus on the tunnels. “Here, this isn’t connected to the subways or the sewers.” He murmured, pointing to a set of tunnels a few blocks north of where they were. They would only carry them about a block or two east before they hit some kind of dead end. Right above the abrupt end to the tunnel was an old prison, beside it a hospital. Both would be heavily guarded outside, but they rarely patrolled inside the buildings. “If there’s a way inside at the end of the tunnel we can travel through the prison up to the roof, cross to the hospital and regroup there. We have to move out of here though, we’ve been here too long.” He said, standing up and the map disappeared as Jin clicked a button on his watch and stood up with him. 

 

V tucked away his computer and nodded, glancing towards the dust covered window that was half shattered. “Is there anyone near by?” He asked, wiping his sweaty palm on his pants and trying not to look as nervous as he felt. 

 

Jungkook took barely a second to pause and assess the area around them before he nodded, “Two Enforcers heading south, a dog a block and a half north heading east. Another Enforcer is a block north but he’s moving further north. We should be find if we leave now.” He said, blinking to bring the immediate surrounding back into focus. 

 

“I hope they’re just Enforces.” Jin murmured, turning and heading for the hole in the wall that lead to a dank back alley. It was filthy, the road was nearly over grown with weeds and it was littered with broken glass and rubble. The war had not been kind to the city, and nature was slowly reclaiming it’s rightful place. 

 

“I don’t think αlpha Duo would split up, they’re stronger together.” Jungkook pointed out, but he had to admit he had been thinking the same thing. He knew the life forces were human, but that was all he could actually say with certainty. If it was  αlpha Duo, if the other group was that close already, they weren’t going to finish this mission. He refused to think like that though. They had to survive.

 

Their progress was slow but steady, the back alleys were too quiet and their foot steps seemed to echo too loudly as they walked. Jungkook kept his senses open for the presence of anyone else. But he forgot about Jimin.

 

Jimin’s gift was camouflage, he could hide himself from anything even someone else’s gift. Even Jungkook’s gift.

 

“Well, well, would you look at what I found?” A deep chuckle startled all of them and they spun to see Jimin stepping away from the alley wall. They had all walked right past him, and Jungkook’s eyes widened in both shock and dread as he realized what this meant. They had been found already, but how? How had Jimin known where they were?

 

Jungkook didn’t think, he couldn’t, he didn’t have time to think of a way out. He unholstered his gun and fired. The bullet made absolutely no noise as it left the barrel, but Jimin screamed when it shattered his left hip. He hit the ground in a rapidly darkening pool of blood, clutching the bullet wound and trying to staunch the bleeding. 

 

“You son of a...” Jimin gritted out, his expression a mask of pain and Jungkook was torn. He didn’t want to leave Jimin to die like this, suddenly his sixth sense screamed at him and it only took him a second to tune in and see why. Three figures were rapidly approaching them from further south, and several blocks east Enforcers were coming, probably attracted to the scream. 

 

“We have to go, now!” Jungkook hissed, holstering the gun again and turning to sprint down the alley, V and Jin hot on his heels. He honestly hoped that αlpha Duo got to Jimin before the Enforcers did, one of them, Suga he believed, had the gift of regeneration and healing. It may spell more danger for them later, but at least they wouldn’t lose an agent as talented as Jimin. Jungkook understood the big picture, they needed people like Jimin if they wanted to win this revolution. 

 

Racing down the alley, Jungkook lead the trio down the pre-planned route. Trying to quickly calculate detours when an Enforcer popped up on his radar. They needed to get to relative safety as soon as possible, before αlpha Duo started on their trail again. If Jimin had found them that quickly, he shuddered to think what would happen now that they were all back together and likely pissed that Jimin had been shot. 

 

Jungkook flung his arms out and stopped Jin and V as they finally made it to the building right above the start of the tunnels they were looking for. The building that rose up before them was unused, but in better condition than any of the others, newer, built after the war. 

 

It was one of the Enforcers stations, which meant the tunnels were likely were they had kept and tortured ‘prisoners’. This one had been abandoned a few years ago because this part of the old city was considered ‘cleansed’. The last of the homeless and the gangs that had been trying to make this place home had been wiped out by the ruthless police force of the Black Ring. 

 

That didn’t mean this place was safe though. “V, can you see if they have an active security system?” Jungkook asked, pushing open the door to what had once been some kind of clothing store and ducking inside, they couldn’t stay out in the open. Even this place was relatively safer than the street.

 

V had already pulled out his computer again and was finding a place to sit so he could work. Jungkook kept a look out, making sure there was no one around. Thankfully the nearest life force was at least a block away, and there was no sign of αlpha Duo. 

 

“I’m in, their cameras are set up to record if any of the doors or windows are opened. I’ll disable the system and unlock the front door for us.” V muttered, his fingers flying over the keyboard even as he spoke. His eyes flickering over the screen and a small frown pulled down his lips, a single droplet of sweat slipped down his temple. “We’re in.” He announced suddenly, standing up and pocketing the computer once more. “The door is only set to stay unlocked for ten seconds.”

 

Jungkook nodded and they hurried out of the store and across the street. Jin entered first, and Jungkook was the last one to walk in. Glancing around the street quickly to make sure they weren’t being followed before he closed the door behind himself, shutting them into complete darkness.

 

A soft snap of fingers and the light bulb above them glowed brightly, casting a harsh light over their surroundings. There were uncomfortable looking chairs in two rows of six to their left, and to the right was a large place desk. Behind that was an intimidating wall lined with Black Ring propaganda and their ‘might makes right’ slogans. 

 

A door in the center of the wall lead back into the cells were they held those who were waiting for punishment. Jungkook lead the way through the door and as soon as they left the first room the light bulb went dark again, a new one in the jail room lighting up  in it’s place. 

 

“What the hell...” Jin whispered, and Jungkook followed his gaze to see the dark rust colored stains on the cell floor to their left. It was blood, splattered on the walls too and some of it even clung to the bars. It was old, probably months old. Whoever had died there was long gone now, but it was just another reminder of the horrific brutality of the Black Ring. 

 

“Let’s keep moving. “ Jungkook murmured, a shiver racing down his spine and raising goosebumps on his arms as he walked deep into the room. Through another doorway in the back and they finally found what they were looking for. A heavily locked gate in the floor marked the entrance to the tunnels. Crouching down Jungkook examined the lock for a moment. “It’s electronic, V?” He asked but the other was already pulling out the computer again. They would be lost without V’s abilities, in Jungkook’s opinion he was the strongest member of their trio, they never would have made it past that starting point with any kind of plan if it hadn’t been for V.

 

The angry buzzing of the lock signified it was open and Jungkook tugged hard on the door, a loud creaking made him wince but he ignored it, pushing the grate open completely and glancing at Jin. “Can you go first?” He asked, pulling the gun out of it’s holster and handing it to Jin.

 

Jin took it and nodded, climbing down the metal ladder, a long row lights illuminating the tunnel as he started to climb down. That was why Jungkook had asked him to go ahead, he could light their way and make sure none of them slipped on a broken rung and broke their necks. Of all the ways Jungkook didn’t plan on dying, stupid accidental death was near the bottom of his list. He had V climb down next, as leader of their trio it was his job to make sure his team survived. That was why he gave the gun to Jin and took up the rear. He closed the grate behind himself, feeling slightly more secure once he heard that loud buzzing again and he knew it was locked once more. 

 

His feet hit the hard cement floor and he turned to look at the tunnel that stretched out before them. Even with the lighting above it still looked dingy and eery from misuse. The walls were starting to crack in places, and there were puddles from where the ceiling was leaking. It was cold down here too, and held the haunting echo of the cruelty that had once gave this place life. 

 

Jin and V were waiting a few steps down the tunnel and as Jungkook caught up with them Jin handed the gun back to him. He slipped it back into it’s holster and lead the way down the tunnel to the next door, another security lock this one took V several seconds longer to crack and once he did the door swung open, the stale air rushing to greet them smelled of mold, musk, and the underlying stench of decay. 

 

Jungkook hesitated but slowly stepped inside, a single light bulb light up above them as the tunnel behind fell into darkness. The weak light did little to illuminate their surroundings but it looked like some kind of office. There were shelves along one wall, two desks on either side of the room, a hallway too dark to see lead off deeper into the tunnels. The ground was stained with that deep rust color leading off into the hallway. 

 

“Search the place, they may have left something useful behind.” Jungkook ordered, heading over to the desk on the right of the room and searching through the drawers. He found a serrated knife stained with blood and set it on top of the desk, beneath that was a few stray bullets, and in the last drawer was a photo. It was faded and water stained, but it showed a beautiful family sitting on a couch, a baby girl cradled in the woman’s arms. The couple was smiling up at the camera. Jungkook flipped the picture over and there was only one word written there ‘Why’. He set the photo back and slowly closed the drawer, he didn’t want to think about why that photo was here or what it might have meant. He had a job to do.

 

He picked up the knife and handed it to Jin who was walking back over with a sheet of paper, “Security codes for the building.” He explained as he was looking them over. 

 

“Memorize them and destroy that.” Jungkook said, glancing at V who was poking through  the shelves but he didn’t seem to be finding anything helpful.

 

Jin tore the paper into pieces and let them flutter to the ground, he had probably already memorized them before he showed Jungkook the paper.

 

“I have inmate records here.” V announced, glancing back at Jungkook as he took out a box of files and set them on the desk. 

 

“Jin, look through them. Get the names.” Jungkook told him, they could spare a few minutes here, there was no one anywhere near the building that he could sense unless Jimin had found a way to follow him which he sincerely doubted. Those security locks would alert them if anyone had gotten that far. 

 

Jungkook headed over to a door over on the left wall and pulling it open revealed a supply closet of sorts. A few bottles of water and a few cans of beans was all that was left but it was enough, Jungkook pulled them out and set them down in the middle of the room. He opened the bottle of water and handed it to V first who took a healthy gulp before he passed the bottle to Jin. He took a long drink took before returning the bottle to Jungkook who took what was left and set the empty bottle aside.

 

“It’s not gourmet, but it’s better than nothing.” He said, sliding the cans over to Jin who skillfully opened them with the knife and they each got one. It was a small helping and he didn’t want to know how long it had been sitting in there, but they couldn’t afford to be picky. They needed their strength, so he ate the beans without complaint the bitter taste was hard to swallow though and it was far from pleasant.

 

Once they were finished Jungkook set his can aside and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, “Alright, let’s figure out our next move now while we’re relatively safe.” He said, waiting for Jin to tap the button on his watch that would pull up the map.

 

Their location had changed, they were closer to the check-in point now but not close enough. they still had to get up through the prison and to the hospital. From there they still had to find their way through the most heavily patrolled part of the city, the tunnels were out of the question, if αlpha Duo wasn’t waiting for them there, Enforcers would be. They were going to have to get creative.

 

“They have quarters for the Enforcers in the prison right?” Jin spoke up suddenly and Jungkook nodded. “What if we hide in plain sight? There might be uniforms there, we can put them on, take the long way round. It might be enough to get us through.”

 

Jungkook mulled over the idea for a couple of seconds before he nodded, “It would be our best chance at this point.” He said, letting out a slow breath and nodding again. “Alright, that will be our first plan then, but if something goes wrong I want all of us to split up and find our way back here. The requirements for this mission was to reach the check-in point alive, there’s no time limit. If need be we’ll hide out here until tomorrow, got that?” He asked, looking between his two team mates until they nodded. “I won’t lose you two, no matter what you will finish this mission.”

 

“We can’t finish it without you.” V pointed out rather dryly, rolling his eyes. “Don’t be a martyr.”

 

Jongkook’s lips twitched into a smile and he stood up, “Alright, let’s get the hell out of here and go play dress up.” He said, taking a moment to make sure they were still in the clear before he headed down the dark hallway and through the door at the end. It pushed opened easily but the rotting stench of death and decay that hit him was suffocating and he stumbled backwards, coughing so hard he nearly retched. 

 

“What the ?” He gasped, beside him Jin and V were both covering their noses with their sleeves, coughing nearly as violently. A single   bulb lit up the room and horror washed over Jungkook as the room was bathed in harsh light.

 

“You can’t be serious.” Jin whispered, his voice sounding oddly strained and his face was too pale to be healthy. 

 

Inside the room were rows of small half-circle cells that were only big enough for the people that had been chained up inside. A few of the cells were empty, their manacles stained with blood, but at least nine of them held the rotting remains of prisoners. Bodies that were slowly decaying, flesh had withered and shrank, clinging tightly to the bone where it still held. The stark white of the bones stood out in the light, their eyes had already decayed and fallen out of the sockets so empty skulls looked back at them.

 

Apparently when they closed down this building they hadn’t bothered to move all of their prisoners. These people had likely suffered as they died, either from horrific wounds, or from starvation. This was the might of the Black Ring, this was their idea of discipline. It made Jungkook sick to his stomach and he forced his feet to keep walking past each of he bodies, trying not to look at them as he pushed his way through the last set of doors and they reached the end of the tunnels. Another ladder lead them up to the prison and after pausing to have V hack their way in they were out of that nightmare. 

 

“How could they do something like that?” Jin whispered, his voice shaking and the light above them was flicking one and off, giving the room a strange strobe effect. 

 

“They’re monsters.” Jungkook answered simply, that was the whole truth. The Black Ring where monsters, there was no other way to put it. “But that’s why we’re here. Once they’re stopped, no one will suffer that kind of death again.”

 

“We hope.” V pipped up, shrugging at the sharp look Jungkook gave him. “What? I’m just saying Dominari isn’t completely unsketchy either.”

 

“You’re here aren’t you?” Jungkook pointed out with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Lesser of the two evils.” Was V’s only reply as he headed out of the back room they had found themselves in and Jungkook and Jin followed him into one of the offices of the prison. They found the a closet in the office and a set of uniforms were hung up neatly. Jungkook took out one for each of them and they pull on the stiff black fabric over their clothes. The hats were the last to be put on and Jungkook adjusted it so that it kept most of his face hidden in shadow. He looked over Jin and V and sighed, they didn’t look like Enforcers, even with the uniforms, but he could hope it would be enough to fool people from a distance. It wouldn’t fool αlpha Duo though.

 

Beyond the office was the main prison. It was silent, and thankfully empty as they walked through. It looked like any other prison, rows of cells lined the walls and there was an open space in the center. It was three floors in total and they found their way to the stairs, unwilling to risk seeing if the elevator was working. Activity like that could trip a sensor and Jungkook didn’t want to stop for V to hack the system again unless they had to. V might have had serious talent, but if they played with fire too much they were bound to get burned.

 

The fresh air and the pale moon light was almost a relief as they walked out onto the room. However that relief was short lived when his radar suddenly started screaming at him. As he tuned into it he realized with a hissed curse that αlpha Duo where less than a block away. “We have to move now.” He ordered quietly, looking at the hospital. They were facing a small section of roof that had once been a courtyard of some kind, it was over grown and dead now but it would give them an access point into the hospital.  It was about six and a half feet away and Jungkook didn’t stop to calculate the risks as he took off running and launched himself over the edge of the prison roof, landing hard on the ground and rolling with the momentum back onto his feet, another thump and another quickly following that told him Jin and V had made it as well.

 

He didn’t look back, he ran into the hospital, pushing the door to the courtyard open and entering the dust covered hallway. He didn’t have time to worry about security systems anymore. If αlpha Duo was that close it was only a matter of precious minutes before they were on their tail again. They needed distance and they needed it now. 

 

The endless hallways of the abandoned hospital passed like a colorless blurr, his feet fueled by adrenaline, purpose, and pure fear.  He could hear the steady footfalls of his teams mates and their steps sounded like thunder echoing back at him in the emptiness. Lightly flickered one and off as they ran, keeping their way lit up and Jungkook was grateful for it. The floor was uneven in many places, tiles cracked or missing altogether. He had to leap over a hole in the center of the floor near the radiology rooms, Jins ability to control the light kept them from losing stride or breaking their legs. But it still wasn’t going to be enough if they didn’t find a way to lose αlpha Duo quickly. Jungkook could sense them at the prison, they were officially tracking them now and it only spurred Jungkook to fun faster. 

 

They reached the opposite doors of the hospital and only then did Jungkook allow them to slow long enough to catch their breath. 

 

“They’re coming aren’t they?” Jin asked, his deep, slow, breaths trying to regulate his breathing was mirrored by both V and Jungkook who nodded solemnly. 

 

“They’re at the prison.” Jungkook said, leaning against the wall and shaking his head, “We’re ed.”

 

“At least we’re ed together. I’ve always wanted to die in a .” V commented nonchalantly, shrugging one shoulder as he reached his hand on the doorknob. “We going or what?”

 

Jungkook nodded and suppressed a chuckle, V was always good at lightening up the mood. He was hardly ever serious about anything that didn’t involve hacking. V opened the door but Jungkook stepped out first, adjusting his ill-fitting  uniform and his hat. They were nothing close to looking like Enforcers, but he was hoping if they could keep enough distance from the real Enforcers if they did happen to catch a glimpse of them Jin’s power could handle the rest and they wouldn’t suspected. They just had to make it around the heart of the city. 

 

“I feel like such a dickhead in this thing.” V mumbled beside Jungkook, sniffing the sleeve and making a disgusted face. “Gross, I smell like a dickhead.” 

 

“The suit makes the man.” Jin remarked, resting a hand on V’s shoulder and Jungkook just rolled his eyes as he lead the way down out onto the street. He didn’t like being this out in the open but they were running out of options, this was the only way they were going to be able to lose αlpha Duo, he could only hope it was enough to save them.

 


Author's Corner: This was based off a dream I had the other night, I thought it would be fun to try to write. Let me know what you think! This is only part one of two, so keep a look out for the second half of the story.