Final

If Eyes Could Speak

AN: Unedited!

If Eyes Could Speak | Jonghyun  Seungyeon

A bright red Aston Martin comes to a halt in front of a flower shop in Gangnam, parking perfectly against the sidewalk. It was the end of winter, and by the way the sun was shining and the random people he passed on the street seemed to be in much more lifted spirits, he knew that spring was coming. Although he was tired, getting in from a flight that morning from Japan where he was promoting his own single, Jonghyun knew that there was a place that he would much rather be. The bell by the door jingled as he made his way inside the shop where the kind ahjumma who owned the store greeted him. He mustered up a friendly, but sleepy smile and asked for a special bouquet to be made. While the lady was hopping from one end of the room to the other picking out a selection of flowers, Jonghyun couldn’t help but reminisce the first time he came to this shop, almost three years before, buying two bouquets which both ended up in the arms of one woman two hours after he had met her.

“For someone special?”

He lifted his eyes to meet those of the older lady. Her eyes were like crescent moons, and the lines on her face were just proof of how much she smiled over the years over young men who came to buy flowers to profess their love.

“Yes.”

“Your girlfriend?”

“Actually, my wife.”

As the last word rolled off his tongue, the corners of his mouth upturned, and his eyes turned into crescents themselves.

“She must be a very lucky woman. Here, these are the first picks of the season. Spring came early this year.”

Jonghyun gratefully accepted the bouquet, paid for it and then thanked her a few times before walking out the door. He placed the flowers in the passenger seat and then set off to surprise his wife.

Before he arrived at the location of her drama he stopped at a restaurant to pick up some food for her, her co-workers and the staff and crew. He even went to another restaurant just to pick up her favorites of chicken feet and grilled intestines. Satisfied with his purchases, he finally set off towards the filming set.

As he was packing the food into a box which he could easily carry inside, the tune of his latest song, Bright Eyes, rang out signalling a call from his wife. He decided to be playful and let it ring out, and surely enough, straight after the first call ended, she rang again. Jonghyun picked it up with a laugh, the food ready in the box and the bouquet in his hand.

“Hello?”

Oppa! Are you busy? Did I interrupt something?”

“No, no, I’m on a break right now. And besides, I’m never too busy for you…”

The laugh on the other end of the phone set off a chain reaction in him. He laughed along with her, and his cheek bones rose and became permanently fixed that way. He walked on set, passing the director, who he had worked with previously and who pointed him to the whereabouts of his wife. He placed the box down and began handing out the food one by one to each member on set who he passed by until he made it to the door of Seungyeon’s waiting room. He placed the box on the floor and grasped the bouquet, and knocked on the door.

“Hold on, Oppa, someone’s looking for me…”

Jonghyun quickly ended the call and hid his face behind the bouquet. It wasn’t until he heard her gasp of surprise that he lowered it, and let their eyes connect. Seungyeon’s eyes were the prettiest that he had ever seen, and over the years that they’ve been together, he learned how to read them. Her eyes twinkled in that moment, and all the stress, tiredness and sleepiness that he had been feeling quickly disappeared from his body. Seungyeon tugged on his arm and led him inside the room, closing the door behind them.

“You’re here!”

Unlike the time he was afraid of making a scene at the airport in Japan when he first picked her up, Jonghyun didn’t hesitate to envelope her in his arms. He buried his face in her hair and breathed in her scent, and then picked her up and spun around twice. Gently putting her back on her feet, he bashfully handed her the flowers.

“These are for you…”

“They’re beautiful.”

As she smelled the flowers, he ran back outside to retrieve the box. Her eyes looked at him in question.

“It’s food. For everyone on set, just to say ‘thank you’ for taking care of you. And of course, I didn’t forget to get some of your favorites as well.”

Seungyeon placed her flowers on the nearest table and walked up to her husband who took two strides to meet her. He closed his eyes, as did she, and leaned their foreheads together momentarily. His arms wrapped around her waist pulling her close.

“I missed you…”

“I missed you too.”

He moved his right hand to sit on the small of her back, as his left hand moved to cup her face, his thumb caressing her cheek. Ever so slowly, their lips met in a gentle kiss. When they pulled back, the look on their faces mirrored each other’s. Relief to be together again, and complete love and thankfulness for the other person.

“Let’s go distribute the rest of the food so we can have lunch together?”

He grabbed the box, which was still three quarters full, and balanced it in one arm so that he could hold Seungyeon’s hand with his free one. They made their rounds, greeting each person, and Jonghyun handing out the food and thanking each one. They all commented how good of a husband he was or teased them about being so lovey-dovey during work which left the two newlyweds blushing profusely. When they had given out all the food packages, they retreated back into the waiting room to have their own lunch.

Seungyeon sat on the couch and let her eyes graze over the food that was in front of her. Jonghyun definitely was the best. He thought of everything, even gloves and an extra bowl for the chicken feet. She clapped her hands together excitedly and quickly unsnapped the wooden chopsticks before digging into her grilled intestines. Jonghyun was content for a few minutes just to watch his wife eat. But, then again, he was happy to just watch her do anything.

“You’re not eating?”

“I am. Feed me…”

He opened his mouth like a little child wanting to be fed by their mother. She picked up a bit of the meat she managed to get off the chicken feet and fed it to him. Jonghyun happily ate it up.

“You eat these things well now.”

He accepted another bite that she was offering him.

“Of course. I have to eat everything my wife likes.”

His eyes had a glint of mischief before he turned serious.

“I told you, even if we weren’t a perfect match, I’d still find a way to adjust to you. I would personally make us a perfect match.”

They stared at each other for a long while, their eyes communicating everything that they wanted to say. Her light brown eyes attracted him like no other, he was a goner the moment that they had met. In his eyes, she knew that she was the only one he could see, as if she were the most beautiful thing on the planet. With one look from each other, no words were needed to say…I love you.