Chapter 1

Ship Wars

Minho huffed and crossed his arms angrily over his chest as he watched Taemin get ready. He was going out with Kai again and the rapper didn’t like it on bit. He knew that the two dancers were friends, but lately they’d been spending more time together than Minho would like. He watched closely as Taemin hurriedly put on his shoes with one hand, fixing his hair with the other.

“Why are you in such a rush, Taemin?” he snapped. He didn’t mean to sound mad (he was) but he didn’t like how eager Taemin seemed to see Jongin.

“I have plans with Kai and I'm running late.” He told Minho, not noticing the way the elder’s nostrils flared at the mention of the EXO member.

“Well that explains everything!” he said sarcastically, looking away from the younger member. “Wouldn’t want to keep Kai waiting.”

“Yeah, bye hyung!” he waved behind him at Minho as he flew out the door, leaving a glaring Minho in his wake.

Kim Jongin. He even thought the name bitterly. What did Kai have that Minho didn’t? What was so special about him that Taemin could push Minho (his supposed best friend) aside so easily and replace him with the dancer? Doesn’t Taemin remember all the times he and Minho stayed up past curfew playing video games, being quiet so they weren’t caught because they knew they’d be in trouble if they were? Doesn’t Taemin remember all the times Minho smuggled him banana milk when Key told him he wasn’t allowed any more of it? Doesn’t he remember the time he was sick and Minho stayed home from his schedule to take care of the younger boy? Doesn’t Taemin remember when Minho caught Taemin’s illness and the dancer returned the favour? Doesn’t Taemin remember any of that? Because Minho remembers it all.

“You know, if you keep glaring at the door like that you’ll burn holes in it.” SHINee’s diva, Key said entering the living room and seeing Minho shooting lasers at the closed front door. “What did the door ever do to you anyway?”

“Shut up Key.” Minho retorted coldly. He wasn’t usually one to speak to his hyungs – or anyone, for that matter – like that, but he wasn’t in the mood for Key’s teasing right now.

“Yah you little frog face! You can’t speak to me like that!” he yelled.

“Calm down yeobo,” Jonghyun said, coming up behind Key and wrapping his arms around him. “Minho is obviously upset about something, I'm sure he didn’t mean it.”

Key made a tsk sound and leaned into his boyfriend’s embrace. “That’s no excuse.”

Minho stood up abruptly. He took his coat off the rack by the door and shrugged it on. “I’m going out.”

“Where?” Key asked, but Minho was already out the door.

He walked until he found a café with barely any people. Taking a seat at a table in the corner, he ordered a black coffee. He needed to clear his head; these thoughts of Taemin were clogging his mind.

When did he even start feeling this way for the younger? He didn’t know. He felt that it’d probably always been there and he didn’t realise it until the two of them started drifting apart. Now he couldn’t stop thinking about it! The way Taemin moved, whether he was dancing or simply walking around. The way his cheek bones became more prominent when he smiled. The way his eyes shone when he laughed. The way Minho just wanted to kiss him when he pouted cutely.

Don’t do it, Minho. It’s self-sabotage! Don’t. Do. It.’ He thought, but his curiosity got the better of him and he pulled out his phone and began scrolling through Twitter.

@gracefuljumping27
TaeKai is love, TaeKai is life! <3 #taekai

@appleneigh
2min was cute, but TaeKai is hot~ #taekai

@ouch_hammer13
I think when Taemin was younger, he looked up to Minho but now that he’s older he’s moved on from that schoolboy crush. #taekai

@fudgelizard102
Taemin and Kai belong together~! Your argument is invalid. #taekai

He knew he shouldn’t read them. He knew it would only make him angrier and more upset, but he couldn’t seem to stop. There were so many fans that were now shipping TaeKai. Minho missed the days when all he would see was people wanting him and Taemin togerher.

One tweet brought a smile to his face.

@you
Say what you want about TaeKai, everyone knows 2min's love is forever! 2min fighting~ <3 #2min #taekai

It was the messages like that which gave Minho hope that one day Taemin might accept him.

Suddenly, he heard light, bubbly laughter that he would recognise anywhere. Taemin. His head snapped up and he saw Taemin enter the café, Kai following close behind him. Taemin was laughing happily at something Kai said and Minho didn’t fail to notice their clasped hands.

Minho glared, watching them closely. Taemin should be laughing at his jokes and holding his hand, not Kai’s. The waitress brought him his coffee, which he thanked her for fleetingly before turning back to Taemin and Kai.

“So what do you think, Tae?” Minho heard Kai ask.

“I think it’s an amazing first date!” Taemin replied happily. Minho’s heart stopped. Date? They were on a date?!

“Any chance I’ll get a kiss at the end?” Kai teased, nudging Taemin’s arm. SHINee’s dancer nodded.

Not wanting to hear any more, Minho rushed out of the café and ran back to the dorm.

He walked straight into the dorm room he shared with Taemin and slammed the door closed. He lied down on his bed, staring glumly at the roof. It was all over now; Kai had Taemin. They were dating. TaeKai had defeated 2min. He didn’t know how long he stayed there, staring at the roof, before he heard the bedroom door open and close. He felt the bed dip around his feet. He knew it was Taemin, but he didn’t bother looking at him. If he did, he didn’t think he’d be able to contain his emotions.

“Minho hyung?” Taemin’s soft, innocent voice filled Minho’s ears. The elder still refused to look up. After a brief pause, Taemin realised Minho wasn’t going to speak so he continued. “I saw you leave the café. You looked upset and Kai said-”

Kai said.” Minho mimicked spitefully. “Of course Kai said. What did Kai say? Did Kai laugh because he saw me there? Did he send you here to rub it in that he’s won?”

“Won? What are you talking about hyung?” Taemin frowned, feeling like he was missing something.

Minho sat up, his face contorted in anger. Taemin hated seeing Minho like this.

“It used to be us, Taemin. I used to be your best friend!! You used ot spend all your time with me and now it’s like I'm just an afterthought to Kai.”

“No, hyung-”

“Why did you stop trusting me Taemin? Why don’t we hang out like we used to? Why didn’t you tell me you’re dating Kai?”

“What?! Hyung it’s not-”

“I guess I'm just not as important to you anymore!”

“MINHO HYUNG!” the dancer screamed since nothing else was getting his attention.

Shocked, Minho froze. “What?”

“First of all, Kai said I should come and talk to you and make you feel better! He didn’t laugh at you! Minho, you are my best friend, there’s just some things that I can’t tell you. Kai and I aren’t dating; for the past couple of weeks I’ve been helping him try and ask out Kyungsoo! And lastly, Minho you are and always will be the most important person to me.”

Minho went over all the information in his mind. Kai and Taemin aren’t together. Taemin is still free. Minho still has a chance! But there are things Taemin can’t tell him? What could the younger be hiding from him?

“Minnie, you know you can tell me anything.” Minho said, his voice suddenly soft as his thumb brushed over Taemin’s cheekbone.

Taemin leaned into his touch but shook his head. “Not this hyung.”

Minho took a deep breath. “What if I confess something first?” Taemin nodded. “Okay, here goes nothing; Taeminnie I like you. More than a friend. I have for a while now, and that’s why I’ve been so mad today. I felt like I was being replaced by Kai and I was jealous that you were spending so much time with him.”

Taemin’s eyes widened, and Minho wondered if he already blew it.

“You do?” he squeaked out shyly. Minho nodded, not trusting his voice. Taemin blushed and looked down. “Well, my secret is that I like you too.”

“You do?!” Minho asked loudly, barely controlling his excitement. This time Taemin nodded. Then, he bit his lip cutely and pounced on Minho, knocking the elder back onto the bed as he connected their lips.

Minho was on cloud nine. Taemin was kissing him. Minho slid his hands up Taemin’s back and Taemin pressed himself more into Minho. The rapper used his tongue to pry Taemin’s lips apart and he explored the younger’s mouth for the first time. He nearly moaned when he felt Taemin’s hands snake under his t-shirt, caressing his sides with soft fingertips. Taemin broke the kiss only when he needed precious oxygen.

“Wow.” He said breathlessly, face flushed and lips swollen from kissing. “I should make you jealous more often.”

Minho just shook his head and went back to kissing the beautiful boy on top of him. For the rest of the night (and many more nights to come) the rest of SHINee (and probably some neighbours) heard just how real 2min was.