Final.

a chance

"Jinki."

It was something with the time Kibum called. Something with the melancholy in his voice. Also, something about knowing him for twelve years and counting. 

Kibum wouldn't call on a sunny afternoon because he was supposed to be in class. Jinki was sure of this. He knew the other's schedule as well as he knows his own. But then, with the tone of his voice, Jinki knew something was wrong. 

"Kibum? Why'd you call? Did.. did something happen?"

"I broke up with him."

Five words. Five words that can mean so much. It can say a lot about the person you're talking to. And with those five words, Jinki knew that Kibum had been crying. 

"Where are you?"

"At the apartment. I couldn't bring myself to go to class today."

"I know. I understand."

The call ended there. But then Jinki's feet started walking to the campus gate and to their shared apartment. Lee Jinki was a smart person. Everyone adored him for this. He knew his priorities. At this point, his priority was to get to Kibum, his bestfriend, the owner of his heart. 

When Jinki entered their apartment, he expected to see a sobbing Kibum. But what he saw was different. Kibum was sitting on the couch, staring at the wall right in front of him. This scared Jinki. He preferred to see Kibum crying, letting his emotions out. That way, he knows that Kibum will recover soon. Kibum will be okay. Jinki walked to where Kibum was. For the first time, he was unsure of what to do. 

"He was cheating on me."

Even before Jinki could ask, Kibum already spoke. 

"He.. what?"

Why? Kibum was the epitome of perfection. He was beautiful in every way. How could someone throw him away just like that? 

"I'm pathetic, right? I go after these guys, date them. Then they leave me. Jinki, what did I do wrong? Am I not enough?"

"Listen to me Bum. You are not pathetic. You fall in love and that's normal. It means you're human and you are capable of having those feelings. It means that you can love and be loved. You did nothing wrong. You just followed your heart. And that's okay. Kibum, you are more than enough. Those guys are just blind, not seeing the perfection they have with them. Trust me, you are perfect. Maybe for others, you aren't. But for me, you are perfect. You are the most beautiful person I got the chance to know."

"I wish I could fall in love with you. Because I know you won't hurt me."

"I wish you could fall in love with me, too."

Jinki probably shouldn't have said that. But it was too late. The words were already out of his mouth. Kibum stared at him. 

"Was that a confession, Lee Jinki?"

"Forget I said something."

With that, he stood up and left the apartment. He didn't know where he's supposed to go. He didn't feel like goin back to the university (oh what happened to the top student?)  He walked around aimlessly. He was thinking. Had he made the wrong move? He knew that something could change between them. Jinki wouldn't want that. He'd gladly be Kibum's bestfriend than Kibum's nothing. But was it too late? Did he lose Kibum already? 

His thoughts and steps came to a stop by a phone ringing. It was Kibum. 

"Jinki, where are you?"

Jinki looked around. Where was he? Oh. He was in front of the ice cream shop which Kibum loved. 

"I'm in front of the ice cream shop we always go to. Why? Is something wrong?"

"I'll be there."

Jinki didn't even have the time to register what he said before the line was cut off. He sighed. What now? Since Kibum was coming, might as well get inside and get a table, right?

It took Kibum fifteen minutes to reach his destination. When he entered the shop, Jinki was seating on their usual spot. He approached the man and sat in front of him. 

"The usual?" Jinki asked.

Kibum nodded and Jinki walked to the counter to order their ice cream. Kibum used that time to prepare himself for everything. Jinki's indirect confession earlier had him thinking. Would life be better with Jinki? Will he protect him? Love him? He knew the answers. Jinki was there for him ever since. Jinki will always be threre for him. He knows that. He deserves a chance. They deserve a chance. A chance to be something more. And Kibum was willing to give him that. 

When Jinki returned to their table with ice cream cups, Kibum was ready to what he was going to say. Or so he thought. Because it took him another five minutes before he could finally start talking. 

"Jinki. About what you said earlier.."

"If it makes you uncomfortable, just forget that I said something."

"Hear me out first. Please?"

Jinki looked at him, confusion written all over his face. But nodded anyway.

"I thought about things earlier. I.. Jinki. You wouldn't hurt me, right?"

"Of course I won't. I could never do that."

"I want to give us a chance. A chance to be something more. I.. I couldn't imagine what my life would be without you. For years, I had you by my side. You were there for me through thick and thin. You saw me at my worst, and yet you're still here. I just want to try. Because maybe, you're the one I've been searching for. The one I need."

Jinki was at loss for words. Kibum was giving him a chance. He wanted this for years, and now it was right in front of him. It felt surreal. 

"Say something. Please?"

"Kibum, thank you. Thank you for giving me this chance. I'll do my best. I don't want you to regret it."

"I know I won't regret it. Now, can we go back to our ice cream? It's kinda melting already."

Jinki laughed. He was too cute. He didn't mind having Kibum forever. (even if that meant having to buy ice cream everyday)

 

 

• One Year Later •

 

 

They were back where everything started. The ice cream shop. The place held so many memories. It was where Kibum told Jinki that he was giving him a chance. Their first date was at this shop. Their birthdays and Valentine's day were celebrated at this place. Memories were made at this ice cream shop. 

Kibum didn't regret giving Jinki a chance. Because he was worth it. Kibum was more than happy now with Jinki. He showered him with so much affection. Jinki understood him. Jinki loved him. He was all he ever needed. 

"You know what? I'm happy that I gave you a chance."

"Why is it so?"

"Because now, I am truly happy."

"I'm happy that you're happy Kibum. I love you."

"I love you too. Now where's my ice cream?"

 

Sometimes though, Jinki wondered if Kibum loved ice cream more than him. He should probably ask his boyfriend. 

 

Spoiler alert: Kibum loves Jinki much more than ice cream. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

tell me what you think about it. :)