Finding out.

Bad News?

 

Somewhere in Gangnam.  4:30pm

 

Hm. Where is everybody? I've been on this make-up chair since half past three and no one has come thru the salon door. I'm becoming lonely here guys. Something's amiss. No calls. No texts. Nothing. Weird. Where are my so-called friends? Shin Hye thought to herself.

She has been checking her phone since this morning but still no messages from her dates tonight, just work sms. She finds this odd as her phone has always been the boisterous one. No one can miss that utra-creepy ringtone announcing all the messages and calls she gets from her friends, girl or boy and otherwise.

Now she's just started a staring contest with her smartphone, willing it to ring. 

 

"Are you all right Shin Hye-ssi?" Her coordi asked, breaking the spell between her and the phone. Tsk. Smartphone indeed. Making me lose that battle.

"Yes, unnie! Sorry for spacing out when you're working your magic on frumpy-ol-me! Heh~ I'm just a bit bored. Have you heard anything from my friends? Like any one of them?"

"First of, you're not frumpy. Stop saying that. Second, who among your friends Shin Hye-ssi? You have a looooot of them. Stylist? Actors? Idols? What line? Hm?"  The coordi starts teasing Shin Hye with her vast collection of friends making her smile sheepishly.

 

 

Rrriing. Rrrriiing. Rrrriiiing. There goes the creepy ring tone. Shin Hye was so shocked that she dropped the phone like it bit her.

 

"Careful dongsaeng, this is one expensive phone." Her coordi handed her the discarded phone while finishing up the waves on her new hairstyle.

"Ah yes. Thanks unnie! You're such a lifesaver!"  She hugged the older girl while she answers her phone, not even bothering to look at who's calling her. She's just happy that someone's calling her now.

 

 

"Yes?"

"What is up with 'Yes?', is that how you answer a call from your oppa? " Shin Hye just rolled her eyes, clearly recognizing the voice.

"Oppa, huh? In your dreams. Anyway, where are you Woobin-ah? I've been waiting for you guys and no one even bothered to reply to my texts much less answer my calls? Have all your fingers fallen off or you all forgot that you have a friend named Park Shin Hye that you all invited to watch Min Ho-oppa's premiere tonight?"

"Min Ho-oppa huh? Wow..." Woobin softly uttered the name, puzzling Shin Hye with his change of tone.

 

"What? Yes! Min Ho-oppa! His movie premiere is tonight right? And we all promised to go together. What are you muttering about anyway? Where are you guys?"

"Ah! Yes, sorry about that. Where on the way to the venue now. Where are you dork? We'll pick you up instead."

"Not a dork. I'll text you the address. Since you're all picking me up, bring some food, okay? I'm hungry."

"Sure thing, dork."

"Not. A. Dork!!! So frustrating!"

"And dork?"

"Yes!!!"

"We love you.. dork!"

"Whatever."

 

 

 

Smiling, Shin Hye hung up her phone first and then she went to look for her coordi again. She needs to finish up her make up as her friends are coming to pick her up soon. They're all finally at one place, just like the old times. Just like the good old times.

Those memories made her smile. Those memories she had with that man. Too happy to notice the somewhat somber tone of her friend, she went on and started humming 'Love is the Moment'. Then she started giggling. 

 

 

Said friend is in a van along with the others. For a large man like him, Woobin looks like a child who's been given the task to tell the truth, and then failed. Miserably.

"Oppa! How could you not tell her?" Soo Jung glared at Woo Bin.

 

"I tried, you heard me right? Right?" Woobin tried explaining while looking at Haneul who's slowly looking away. Not wanting to be included in THE Krystal Jung's death glare list. 

"Riiiiight! All I heard was.. Hm.. Le'ts see.. Min Ho-oppaaa huh? Woooow.." Hyungsik making these Woobin faces while mimicking his tone earlier, earning a smack from Woobin himself.  

 

"Ow!!! Hyuuuung!"

"Stop it guys. We all promised to tell her before the premiere night! And it's happening now! We should've told her earlier, when we first knew about it.. We should've.." Ji Won started tearing up.

 

"Yah! Jiwonnie! Stop the tears! Your make-up will smudge! And noona will be even more sad if she finds out your make-up was ruined due to that news." Min Hyuk pats the girl while offering her some tissues. 

"Min Hyuk oppa's right, what do we do now huh? How will we tell her? Poor unnie.." Soo Jung added sadly while looking at all her friends who's really worried for the clueless girl they're about to pick up.

 

"Well, Shin Hye is a strong girl. I can vouch for that. Not just physically but emotionally as well. We'll just have to be there for her." Haneul offered some bread to the group while looking at everyone's faces. "She can take this. This will just be a speedbump for her, don't worry."

"A speedbump? Are you joking? She didn't even know it yet! Come on!" Furious, Ji Won hits Haneul hard scaring the guys.

"Aish! Now. Don't be too dramatic about this Kim Ji Won. We know this day will come, it just happened to be today. She will know about it tonight, whether she likes it or not. Dry your tears. We're her friends. We can't be crying for her, that will come out as if we're pitying her. And we all know how she hates that." Haneul explained all this calmly while rubbing his stinging arms.

 

"Yeah.. Haneulie is right.. Don't worry.. I'm going to tell her before we go inside the theater.. I'll do it right this time.."

"Thank you Woobin-oppa.." Soo Jung offered some chocolate to Woobin, thankful that someone will tell her beloved unnie.

"Hey, don't worry about it Soo Jungie.. And there she is.. Our clueless-as-hell friend.." Everyone turned their heads towards the door of the van, looking at their beautiful friend they know would be so heartbroken after tonight. 

 

 

"MY CHINGUS!!! HOW I MISSED YOU ALL!!!" Stretching out her arms, Shin Hye shouted at the top of her voice, startling anyone walking beside the van opened for her. She went in the van excitedly and started bear-hugging each and everyone. She's so happy to see all her Heirs friends that she didn't see the worried looks or the muted tears on her friends' faces. Woobin, noticing all this and from the looks on the younger girls faces knew that they're about to start bawling soon, started to take Shin Hye aside.

 

"Shin Hye-ah.." Everyone in the van stopped, willing Woobin to finally tell Shin Hye the news.

"Where's my food alien-giant? You promised." Hyungsik started laughing.

"A-aalien-giant? Wow. That vocabulary of yours is really.. Hand the dork some food Haneul or she might eat us." The girls started laughing as well. Woobin smiled. It felt like the old times. The silly bantering and jokes between friends.

 

"Haha. There. Smile you guys. Why are you all so serious? Are we going to someone's funeral? We're all going to Min-Ho oppa's movie premiere. We have to be happy and smiling. We came to support him and not be party-poopers. Come on!" Shin Hye chided her friends that she missed all this time.

"Um. About that Shin Hye-yah. I have to tell you something before we go in the theater. You see.." 

"Well I guess you'd have to tell me right after we get off as we're in front of the theater now." Shin Hye pointed out of her window. Sure enough, they're all in front of the venue for Lee Min Ho's movie premiere. Woobin just slapped his own face for missing it again while everyone just rolled their eyes.

 

 

Shin Hye was the last one to get off the van. She was making some last touch ups for the gift she prepared for Min Ho, a congratulatory gift she made from scratch. She's surprised that she's seeing So Jung still waiting for her. Touched by such a small gesture, she approaced the young idol.

"You missed unnie huh?"

"Yes.." So Jung hugged Shin Hye tight.

 

"What's wrong?"

"Unnie. We love you. No matter what happens. We love you. Okay?" Her voice muffled by Shin Hye's coat, as the idol just buried her face on her shoulders.

"Okaaaay.. I love you all as well.. Now that I think about it, you all are acting strange since.. since yesterday.. What's really wrong? Come on, tell unnie.." Shin Hye didn't notice Woobin and Haneul waiting for her at the foyer.

 

"Soo Jungie, go on inside. Shin Hye-yah, we need to tell you something."  

"You both are making me nervous. Just spit it out." Shin Hye laughs nervously at the two boys looking at her like she's grown two heads. Haneul starts fidgeting as well. She had been his friend for a long time now. She's been utterly hurt before and he doesn't want to see her that devastated again.

 

"Well you see. We've found out that sometimes plans are just plans you know? Sometimes we don't get what we want. And that sometimes love can't wait.. "

"Uh-huh. I'm not following you..." More confused than ever, Shin Hye tried to understand what the boys are telling her.

 

But fate, if one may call it, has a different plan for her. Because just then, a black celebrity van stopped in front of them.  

 

Stepping out of that van was the man she had been waiting to see for sometime now. Her heart raced with just the sight of him. She was about to run over to him when she noticed someone was clinging to his arm. Whispering to his ears. And then she saw his face. She saw the way he looked at the girl. She knows that look as that was the exact, same look he used to give her.

 

Used to.

 

 

 

And what came after changed everything for Park Shin Hye. Everything.

 

 

 

Prologue.

At the photoop where the VIPs stops and share their message for the movie premiere. A lone girl steps up on the stage. Numb and cold, but not shivering at all.

Press: Shin Hye ssi! Shin Hye ssi! Who have you come to support for this movie?

Shin Hye: (Thinks to herself) You can do this. You're an actress. You can do this. Just breathe. Breathe..

Shin Hye:  (Breathes and then smiled at the cameras) I came.. as Cha Eun Sang and I came to support Kim Tan..

 

Fade to black.