[1/?]

the worst is over (you can have the best of me)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

1880 words. unbeta'd. please bear with me because it has been awhile since the last time i wrote something that isn't my uni's assignment.

mark loses count on how many times he has cursed jackson tonight. that so-called-best-friend of his practically asked (but really, it was more like forced) mark to accompany him to this party hosted by his acquaintance, but left him for some petite girl with a strange name--kupinook, kumipok, or something, mark doesn’t even remember. now he is all alone, in a party where he doesn’t know a single person.

“ you, jackson wang.” mark mutters for the nth time that night.

upon realizing that he has come this far, mark decides that he might as well make the best out of it. he can look for someone to flirt with or just simply get drunk (but nah, probably not the latter because he has to stay sober to be able to take his best friend home safely). so he goes around the house, grabs a cup of coke when he passes the kitchen island, and sits on of the chairs near the stairs. as he sips his coke, his eyes wander through the crowd full of drunk people, looking for some cute or hot girl, preferably both. but when he suddenly spots a familiar figure, a very familiar one at that, his heart stops. mark doesn't believe his sight at first, or maybe he doesn't want to, but when he looks closely, he is sure of what he sees.

there, standing three meters away from him, is park jinyoung, his ex-girlfriend of four years. she is wearing what looks like a long sleeves little black dress which fits her slender body perfectly. her long black hair falls gracefully on her back, and every minute or so she fixes her bangs which are too long that they cover her eyes. mark still can’t believe what he sees, because it has been almost three years since the last time he saw jinyoung and they have lost contacted since then. now that they are separated by mere footsteps, he can’t seem to take his eyes off the girl. because she is still as beautiful as mark remembers.

it is until the next second that, the person he has been looking at for the past few minutes, turns her head into his direction. and for the first time in three years, their eyes meet.

mark sees how jinyoung’s eyes widen. and he’s not even surprised, mark tuan is probably the last person on earth park jinyoung wants to meet again, because god knows how much of a bastard he had been to the girl.

they had been dating for almost four years when mark suddenly decided to break up with jinyoung, three days after their high school graduation. jinyoung was shocked, hurt, because the request was totally unexpected. she didn’t have any idea why his boyfriend wanted to end their relationship just like that. they were perfectly fine the day before, they had always been fine despite all the little fights--because both of them would always end up talking heart to heart whenever they had one. so what had gone wrong?

the fact is, jinyoung had been anything but wrong to mark. she was so right, so perfect; all that mark had ever wanted. but mark tuan was young and scared. they just graduated from high school, soon they’d be attending college, and the next thing he knew it would be all about future. a future with him and jinyoung in it. and mark wasn’t ready for that, for something as sacred as commitments. so that’s what he did, letting go of the girl he had loved for years. because jinyoung deserved a guy who was brave enough to have a future with her, and it was definitely not him.

as mark recalls the memory, he realizes how coward and stupid he was at that time. why would he end their years of relationship just because he wasn’t sure of being in a serious commitment with jinyoung, the girl he had known better than himself? why would he hurt her just because he was afraid of what the future might hold for them? most of all, how could he let go of a girl as wonderful as jinyoung? mark is so lost in his thoughts that he doesn’t realize the girl he’s been thinking about is now walking slowly towards him.

“mark,” a familiar, soft voice brings mark back to the reality. jinyoung is now standing in front of him, eyes seem a little hesitant but there’s a small smile on her pink lips. she’s so beautiful, mark thinks.

“j-jinyoung…”

jinyoung smiles wider, the end of her eyes crinkle as she does so. and mark can feel his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter