Deer Baozi

Happy Birthday My Deer Baozi

The sunlight peeks through the blinds, stirring Luhan awake.

“Luhan, you up? Get ready in 20.” His manager calls from behind the door. Today’s agenda was fairly simple: Shower, eat breakfast, go to photo shoot, eat lunch, speak at a talk show, autograph signing, and dinner. Fairly simple, but he didn’t want to do any of that today. Today is March 26.

His manager bangs on the door louder. “Luhan! Are you awake yet?”

The doe eyed man groans and rubs the sleep away from his face. “Yes Manager hyun-...yeah...I’m up.” He tosses the sheets off, letting the cool air touch his warm pale skin.

 

Good morning, today is a big day. Are you awake yet?

 

Xiumin sits in the front seat of the car as Kai and Chanyeol sing along to the radio, Sehun and Tao are passed out in the back, using each other’s heads as pillows. He’s been awake for 2 hours now, sitting in the van as the driver takes them to SM’s building. Fans were crowding everywhere.. Today’s agenda was fairly repetitive: Shower (check), eat breakfast (check), go to dance studio, practice vocals, lunch break, back to dance practice, vocal check, dinner, shower, and sleep. Repetitive, but he has to do it anyways, even if it was March 26 today. He let’s out a long sigh before looking out the window to wave to his fans.

 

The MC starts off his introduction of his show, dropping out hints of who was joining him on his show today. When he hears his name, Luhan walks out from behind the stage and waves to the sea of fans.

 

Did you have a nice meal?

 

Xiumin concentrates on the beat as the others do too, synchronizing each step together.

“Can we take another break? I think I’m feeling a food cramp coming along.” Chanyeol pouts as he holds his side.

Baekhyun laughs and nudges the giant. “I told you not to eat that last piece.”

“It was soooo good thoughhhh.” Chanyeol whines.

Kyungsoo turns around to face the noise that was causing his headache. “Shut up, Chanyeol. Your voice is annoying.”

“Wahhh, Soo, why can’t you love me? I’m your number 1 fanboy.”

“Because you’re annoying.” The round eyed boy deadpans.

Chanyeol sticks his tongue out and Kyungsoo lunges at him.

Meanwhile, Lay and Kai work together in continuing the dance as the others splayed out on the floor. Sehun and Tao are taking selcas in the mirror, Suho and Chen are on their phones, and Xiumin throws a hoodie on. All that sweating was starting to make him cold.

“Yaaaaahhhhhh! Suhoooo, help! Soo’s possessed again!”

Xiumin chuckles as he watches Baekhyun try to pry Kyungsoo off of Chanyeol. He leans his back on the wall and looks up at the ceiling. Chen slides over to him. “How are you feeling?” He’s tired and sore, but today was nice, his group members were silly as always, the fans were nice to wish him well, but he his day didn’t feel complete. He wished he could find that something to to fill the void. “Old.”

Chen lets out a soft laugh and shakes his head.

 

Luhan sits at a table for 2, a coffee in front of him and another cup across, untouched. He wraps his cold hands around the warm mug and watches the steam dance in front of him. He came back from dinner a lot later than he planned on. He was blocked off by a bunch of fans and his bodyguard had to take him elsewhere, but when he got back he was able to convince his manager to let him go to a cafe.

“It’s so late. Why do you want coffee at this time? If you keep drinking coffee it’s going to stain your teeth and I’m going to have to make an appointment to whiten them. What’s so good about it anyways? You seem to be the only one here who likes to drink coffee.” His manager complained as Luhan was leaving with the bodyguard.

He flips his hoodie over his head and laughs. “I’ll be back. Don’t worry too much.”

Luhan stares at the empty seat across from him, the coffee still untouched. He leans over and lights the candle he put on top of a mocha cupcake he ordered. The barista clears . “Excuse me, but we’ll be closing soon.” She looks at him and then to the empty seat. She gives him a sad smile. “Is the coffee good?”

“Yes, thank you.” He looks up to the girl with big round eyes that could rival a Korean vocalist he knew.

After the barista left, Luhan looks back to the flame melting the candle away. He imagines him in front of him, reaching his hand out and laying it on top of his only to meet the cold table top.

 

Make a wish, Minseok.

 

Xiumin blows out the candle and his group members cheered. “Happy Birthday hyung!” Chanyeol shakes his shoulders as they watch their  manager cut the cake. “What did you wish for?”

“If he tells you it won’t come true, stupid.” Kyungsoo walks over. “Happy Birthday hyung.” He give him his heart-shaped smile.

Chanyeol’s face looked like a kicked puppy. “Sooooo, why don’t you smile at me like that?”

“What are you talking about? You talk to me like I never smile to you.” Kyungsoo furrows his brows.

“I don’t get to see it enough.” The giant pouts.

Kyungsoo blushes and starts to walk away after patting Xiumin on the back, Chanyeol following after.

After many wishes of Happy Birthday, the members retire to their rooms, but Minseok stays up brewing coffee. He fills up his cup and then sets another hot cup of coffee across from him on the kitchen counter. He wraps his hand around the mug and takes a whiff of the steam. He stares at the empty seat across from him, thinking until he found himself chuckling softly, “I guess, together we don’t equal 50 anymore.” He takes a sip of his coffee when his phone vibrates.

 

Blocked Number:

    Happy Birthday Minseok. I hope you had a nice day.

 

At first, Minseok wondered if a sasaeng had found his number, but then he continues to read the text.

 

    I guess we are no longer 50...we are 51! haha...doesn’t sound as nice as 50 :(

 

Minseok giggles and reads the rest.

 

    Did they get you a chocolate cake like last year? Or was it better? Can’t be as good as this $3 mocha cupcake I got for you. Did you get everything you wished for?

 

Even if the company had blocked the number, Minseok knew for sure that this number

 

    Blocked Number:

        I miss you deerly.

 

Minseok smiles from ear to ear. What a cheese.

 

Luhan bits his lower lip and shakes his head, embarrassed of his text.

 

    Baozi:

        >.< I’d have a $3 cupcake over an overly priced chocolate cake any day. I almost got everything I wished for. Almost... I miss you.

 

The manager yawns and walks to the kitchen, stopping in his tracks as he see the Birthday boy. “Xiumin, it’s late. Why are you drinking coffee at this time? You should be asleep right now. You have a big day tomorrow.”

    “I’ll go right now.”

 

    Baozi:

        I need to go now. Thank you and good night my deer.

 

    Blocked Number:

        Good night my baozi.

 

    Luhan tucks his phone under his pillow and snuggles his face into his blanket, imagining it as Minseok and the way his hair always smelled like vanilla shampoo. “Good night Minseok.”


    “Good night Luhan.” Minseok wraps himself in his blanket, imagining it as Luhan’s arms holding him to sleep.